Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2013, 02:11 PM   #1
Syndacate OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Reg Problems For Friend

Hey,

Not sure if this is the right place but I see another thread that's similar and there's no flaming so I'll assume it is ;).

Friend just bought a '13 F700GS and tried signing up here of course....and the confirmation page told him that he was a bot O.o.

Can anybody lend him a hand? Can PM his email. Not sure which admins/mods can fix something like that.

Thanks!
Old 09-04-2013, 01:28 PM   #2
Syndacate OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Can anybody help :( He wants to log on badly, but can't b/c registration determined him a bot.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:32 PM   #3
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,387
Tell him to use a different email or a different username. Suspected spammers are rejected automatically. He can also email us at the admin email that he received his notification from.
Old 09-04-2013, 03:10 PM   #4
Syndacate OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Tell him to use a different email or a different username. Suspected spammers are rejected automatically. He can also email us at the admin email that he received his notification from.
Do you (or anybody) know what would cause the filter to suspect him of spam?

I told him to try re-registering with the same username/pw and it doesn't say the username/password is already registered, it just rejects him each time saying that he's a spam bot.

Appreciate the help!
Old 09-05-2013, 05:42 AM   #5
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,387
The antispam database includes reported usernames and emails used on forums worldwide that turn out to be spammers.. he's probably using a username that's been reported to the database as a spammer.. tell him to pick something else. If it still doesn't work, and it's not the email or username, then his IP is linked to reported spammer's.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:47 PM   #6
ian408
Oh?

Oddometer: 13,950
Tell your friend to look here. His address will automatically be entered. Hit return and on the next page will be a button that says "Check Blacklist"-click that. If you see more than a few red explanation points, that's a clue.
ian408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:18 PM   #7
Syndacate OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks, I'll get back to you guys Mon/Tues. He's away for internet for the weekend and I don't know his home IP. I'll tell him to check when he's back.

Is it easy to get something removed from those db's? Like my IP has 6 exclamation marks..but it's an apartment.

Furthermore, I doubt my apartment complex rented out a whole subdomain...so essentially anybody in the bay area w/ comcast could have been given my IP at some point... Quite annoying. His situation is probably similar, he lives in an apt in Seattle, so I'm guessing one of the db's marked him as spam from somebody else in the area.

I'll try reg'ing him Mon from my IP, see if that changes it.

Will post back - thx ! :)
Old 09-06-2013, 10:34 PM   #8
ian408
Oh?

Oddometer: 13,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndacate View Post
Thanks, I'll get back to you guys Mon/Tues. He's away for internet for the weekend and I don't know his home IP. I'll tell him to check when he's back.

Is it easy to get something removed from those db's? Like my IP has 6 exclamation marks..but it's an apartment.

Furthermore, I doubt my apartment complex rented out a whole subdomain...so essentially anybody in the bay area w/ comcast could have been given my IP at some point... Quite annoying. His situation is probably similar, he lives in an apt in Seattle, so I'm guessing one of the db's marked him as spam from somebody else in the area.

I'll try reg'ing him Mon from my IP, see if that changes it.

Will post back - thx ! :)
Who ever provides cable service to the complex probably owns the block of IPs. Property managers could probably care less about your internet connection (unless it's provided).

Anyway, getting off the lists...follow the directions.
ian408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:51 PM   #9
Syndacate OP
Gnarly Adventurer

He apparently originally tried it from work (finally remembered to tell him about this, bleh). Guess their IP is blocked, he said he'd check it tomorrow. He did successfully register, though, via his apt internet.

Didn't know forums typically used IP blacklist db's. Learn something new every day. Thx guys!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: