Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2013, 05:24 PM   #1
hinow41 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
always refill your tires after sand riding...

Yesterday I went out with some friends and did a bit of offroading. I just got a drzs400. This is all new to me, iv been on sport bikes only so far. Anyway we get to a big sand pit. My friends have been there a couple times and know how to ride on the deep sand, Me not so much. I try it out get going and end up slowing down half way up the biggest hill. I plop over no big deal. My buddy comes and lets some air out of my tires down to about 10 psi. Rest of the day I say in the trails and try some more of the sand. Had allot of fun.
So today I went for a quick spin around a couple twisties and was heading home on some main roads. The whole time the bike felt funny to me in the front, I take it easy. I go to make a right turn on to an on ramp and I lose it. The front end folded up under me and plopped over at around 20mph. I go down with the bike on my right leg, I was wearing fox comp 5 boots, jeans mesh jacket, helmet and gloves. The boots saved my leg, jeans did nothing, jacket held up fine and so did helmet and gloves. The damage, skinned knee, slight rash on my hip. Oh and my pride. I knew the tire was to low and i didn't air up, I even went into on gas station on my ride and the pump was down so I said " screw it ill be fine" ALWAYS REFILL AFTER RIDING IN SAND!
hinow41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:47 PM   #2
JamieW
n00b

Damn good advice. It's easy to become complacent.
JamieW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:33 PM   #3
Bollocks
Farts with an Accent™

Oddometer: 4,906
I did the same thing on a GS1150 adv, I didn't drop it but I ran across the center line and almost head on in to a van. Thank dog both of us had good breaks.
I don't know what you could do to remind your self.

The Self-Preservation Society
08 Triumph 1050 Toight like a Toiger
Bollocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:35 PM   #4
Bollocks
Farts with an Accent™

Oddometer: 4,906
And welcome both of you to the asylum.

The Self-Preservation Society
08 Triumph 1050 Toight like a Toiger
Bollocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 05:59 PM   #5
WildmanSam
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
this is another reason i like D606 tires (or others with a heavy side wall). they can be run flat and still not roll off the rim like yours did. i assume your bike made it out okay?
WildmanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:16 PM   #6
sperz1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildmanSam View Post
this is another reason i like D606 tires (or others with a heavy side wall). they can be run flat and still not roll off the rim like yours did. i assume your bike made it out okay?
+1 on the 606's. I've run on a flat rear for miles on the street and didn't even know it!

2009 Buell XB12xp
1998 Suzuki DR350se
sperz1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:23 AM   #7
hinow41 OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildmanSam View Post
bikes ok, hand guard and my boot took most of the damage. time to get rim locks lol
hinow41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:19 PM   #8
farqhuar
Lone Wolf

Oddometer: 1,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by sperz1 View Post
+1 on the 606's. I've run on a flat rear for miles on the street and didn't even know it!
Yep did over 200 miles with a flat front 606 riding in the desert.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:30 PM   #9
Sleddog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
+1 for the 606's

Couple years ago I was in Mexico. Had Shinko's on when I ran over something at 50mph & the front went flat. Before I could do anything the bead broke away from the rim & I went sliding down the Asphalt.....ATGATT saved my ass.

Two months later while riding the CDR it's Deja vu all over.....Only this time had had 606's on. Front went flat at 40mph & I thought Holy Hell here I go again. the beads stayed seated & I was able to pull over to the side of the road. I made the decision right there, I wouldn't run anything without stiff sidewalls again.

BTW, I've been riding for over 50 years & these were the only flats I've ever had

Sleddog
Sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 03:05 AM   #10
rootsy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Maybe tie a ribbon on your handlebars or grip for a visual reminder to air up?

D606 are great, stiff tires, but I'd still rather run proper pressures. Rim locks are a good idea also.

Glad your injuries were not more serious. Safe travels!
rootsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:36 AM   #11
jimhaleyscomet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Reminder?

Every time I start biking I press on the front tire to make sure it has air. I also check the air pressure when starting a ride or at least weekly.

I had a friend pick up a thorn and his tire went flat while we were eating lunch. The first u-turn under the freeway his front end washed out. Luckily he had gear on and was o.k. and no cars were in the lanes he slid into.
jimhaleyscomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 02:11 PM   #12
RFVC600R
SAND EATER!

Oddometer: 2,123
+1 jim

Always check air, lights, oil, brakes and look for leaks every ride. I have saved myself a couple times.

RIDE RED!
RFVC600R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:38 PM   #13
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,578
Sorry that you had to find out this way, but it's a good reminder for all of us, and I'm confident nearly all dual sport riders have ridden the street running dirt pressure.

Last dirt ride for me I aired down by feel as I didn't have a gauge. About 50ish miles of twisty pavement home, then checked pressure next time I went out. I was at 12 psi front and 9 rear. Could have easily been me starting this thread.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:31 PM   #14
Reista
Tech turned Mech

Oddometer: 166
Perhaps have an obvious orange tag on your key when you ride sand, which can be taken off once you air back up?
Reista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:49 AM   #15
AirforceGSRider244
Hardcore adventurer

Oddometer: 86
tire pump

i have an electronic pump that hooks up to sae plug on my bmw f800. but when in doubt i also have a manual one. this is a picture i found on the internetsss so that specific brand in really good and compact

look into mini foot pump.
AirforceGSRider244 is offline   Reply With Quote