User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2013, 02:14 PM   #1
fotoduda.com OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Albania or bust! 2up on a 30 year old 500cc thumper

Just returned from a 2 weeks and 3700km trip around the Balkans. The unlikely mean of transportation was my 1982 Honda FT500 that's in the middle of the scrablerization project.

The route was something like:
Poland - Czech Republic - Slovakia - Hungary - Serbia - Bosnia & Herzegovina - Montenegro - Albania - Montenegro - Croatia - Slovenia - Austria - Czech Republic - Poland

Here are a few pics for starters, I'll post the report step by step when I get a grip. "So many social engagements, so little time..."

fotoduda.com
generalbikes.eu

fotoduda.com screwed with this post 09-02-2013 at 02:21 PM
fotoduda.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:39 PM   #2
StoneAgeMan
Wanderer

Oddometer: 696
Nice pictures

I like the pictures

Thanks for posting

Have you tried wrapping the bar with a thin baling wire and then layering on some JB Weld (or other steel epoxy)?

What is the bike?

StoneAge Man
StoneAgeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 01:29 AM   #3
lord_oblivion
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
If I knew that you are riding through Serbia, I'd ask you for a visit in Belgrade
Some next time, I hope to meet !

Subscribed!

www.jawaklubsrbije.org
lord_oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:35 AM   #4
LusoViking
Aspiring Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Cool! More pics please!
LusoViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:10 PM   #5
LethPhaos
brb

Oddometer: 479
Quote:
This is a familiar sight to me
In for the rest of the report, awesome region!
LethPhaos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:19 AM   #6
fotoduda.com OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
The idea to visit Albania emerged in my head when I couldn't find any map or travel guide about it in the book store. I got more and more convinced that it's a good idea by people's reactions to it: "Albania? WTF?". The almost cliche by now "it's not the destination, it's the journey" couldn't be more relevant here, because I managed to be one day in Albania and had a whole lottta fun getting there and going back. Two weeks for this trip was definitely not enough, specially when just getting to the Balkans takes four days. It could be attributed to the fact that my bike, fully loaded and two up, was good for cruising at a hundred kilometers per hour and didn't like doing it for longer periods of time. So did I, hence "no highways" rule which we obliged to with only one exception gave us about three hundred kilometers a day range.

Last couple of weeks before the trip I spent getting the bike ready. I managed to seize the engine in May and replaced the piston and all the gaskets after that, and went solo from Poznań in Poland to Munich in Germany in July, so I didn't doubt it would make it. That is no to say about everybody else who saw the bike. It had pretty strong rat appearance, putting it mildly. I scored a little battered windshield from a friend of mine. I was cracked and was missing the mounting system, but a little epoxy glue and a couple of aluminum angles sorted it out. I made a new seat cover only two days before the departure, before that I was riding on a garbage bag cover for some time. I found leftover curtain hanger pipes in my garage and built a luggage rack out of them. Seemed like a good idea at a time.

We did some test runs with full gear on it, tent, bags etc. and it looked like all was set up properly. Of course on the day of the departure, when we put on the bike what we were really taking with us, it looked like an accident waiting to happen. The suspension was compressed three quarters down at least and the luggage rack's bottom mounts where rubbing against the lower shocks' mounts. But it was time to go. I decided that not thinking about it will fix it. We stopped by to say good bye to my girlfriend's family and I could see from their faces that it didn't look good. The bike was helping a lot by misfiring and dying two times at their driveway. We must have looked like Guevara and Granado at the beginning of the Motorcycle Diaries movie almost having a head on with a bus. I think the only reason they let their daughter go was that they hopped we'd return the same evening.

But as usual when all the signs in heaven and earth tell me no to stop, I go. The first day went uneventful and unphotograpyful. We started in the early afternoon and as planned, by the sunset we covered two hundred and fifty to kilometers and stopped in a hostel at a Polish - Czech border in the Sudety mountains. Good weather, low traffic, nothing to write home about. I had a mighty "highlander robber schnitzel" together with two pints and went to sleep.
fotoduda.com
generalbikes.eu
fotoduda.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:30 AM   #7
Hughlysses
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,132
Great photos- thanks for posting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotoduda.com View Post
I decided that not thinking about it will fix it.
I have employed this repair technique myself many times, usually regarding things around my house that need to be fixed.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:14 AM   #8
Darel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Your narrative is soooo funny. WAITING FOR MORE.

Darel is offline   Reply With Quote