Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2013, 06:39 PM   #16
bwringer
Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer: 2,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamcanjim View Post
Take a look at the pics. Are they worn out?
Yes. They are worn out. The front is very worn.
"Do not crinkle your food wrappers loudly. Be considerate to others, or I will bite your torso and give you a disease."
bwringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:50 PM   #17
iamcanjim OP
Face drop

Oddometer: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwringer View Post
Yes. They are worn out. The front is very worn.
Ok. I guess I thought they had to be shark toothed to be worn. Thanks. I will definitely get new ones.
iamcanjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:44 PM   #18
mbrick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Do you have a photo of the broken chain? In the break area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
What kind of master link was it? Clip or rivet? I wonder why the PO purposely decreased chain size (and strength) on an 1100cc bike?
You should take a look at the DID chain chart, and look at the tensile strength of many sizes before starting the replies with a comment like that.
mbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:59 PM   #19
dnrobertson
Big Bike, Slow Rider

Oddometer: 694
Are you sure the clip of the master link was fitting properly in the grooves of the pins?

2005 KTM 640A
2008 Wee-Strom
dnrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:07 PM   #20
iamcanjim OP
Face drop

I will have to try again tomorrow. My cell takes crummy pics at night.

Here is the chain I used. Man did I ever overpay. Stupid dealers.

Tensile strength is 6930 lbs. Is that enough?

iamcanjim screwed with this post 09-03-2013 at 08:15 PM
Old 09-03-2013, 08:11 PM   #21
iamcanjim OP
Face drop

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnrobertson View Post
Are you sure the clip of the master link was fitting properly in the grooves of the pins?
Again, I checked and rechecked it, but it's possible it wasn't. I know it was flush and it appeared to line up.

Looks like it was a combination of
-too tight
-not enough lube
-possibly something wrong with master link.
-worn sprockets
-bad luck
Old 09-03-2013, 08:19 PM   #22
iamcanjim OP
Face drop

Actually, I am sure it was too tight. It was pretty hot when I picked it up (I actually couldn't pick it up) and examining the sprockets it's clear the lube boiled away.

Should have checked it after the tire was put on.

There is no way the dealer will admit to overtightening the chain.

I don't think I have the money to repair it until spring. Just spent $650 on tires and brakes. Girlfriend will be pissed there is no one to ride with her.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:17 PM   #23
iamcanjim OP
Face drop

You know, I bought the Katana last year for $1700 and I hated it. I didn't like that handling. It had a bad chain when I bought it, but I ran the rest of the season with it.

Since I lost my job, I was content to let it sit. But the G/F was given a Honda CBR125R by her dad and is determined to learn to ride. So I, on a budget, bought a new chain. Struggled with one of the bolts on the front sprocket cover for like 2 weeks, (broke 2 easy outs, one hex and finally bought a cheap dremel and ground off the head).

Then I couldn't bleed the damn clutch. 2 weeks of trying and finally drove it to the shop. They took a week to do it. Put it on Craigslist to trade for anything with 2 wheels.

But I kept working on it and riding it. I truckbed lined the lower fairing, replaced the grips, gave it a good scrub and even removed to tank to look at the carbs. All I did was look though. I did wash the filter. Changed the oil.

Got on it, and enjoyed it. But realized with 2 bad tires and worn brakes it was not going to be fun. Got an unexpected cheque in the mail and splurged for a tire and brake job.

With the new tires, the handling was transformed. The bike was running well and I finally started to see what you guys saw in these tanks.

On the road with the G/F (with her on it, the 125 can do almost 130 km/h) and enjoyed the sun, the wind and the fact my bike was actually fun to ride.

100 km into the ride and I had just slowed down to take a turn on a dirt road and clunk. Chain is on the road behind me.

Drove to truck out yesterday to collect the bike and realized the clutch was soft. Something was wrong under the front sprocket cover.

Today, unloaded it and removed front sprocket cover.

So it looks like $110 for a new cover, $200-$300 for chain and sprockets. Will have to find someone to bleed the clutch again. I have no idea if I have the skill to change the sprockets. It'll be a pain without the chain on to break the front bolt. And at least a week of waiting for parts.

I don't know if this bike hates me or if it's just too old.

I loved the 1998 GSX750F I had in Australia.

Right now if someone wanted to trade a CB750 for it I would be overjoyed.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:58 AM   #24
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnrobertson View Post

As an aside, how do you know if you have mushroomed a rivet style correctly?

You measure the diameter of the head with calipers. It must fall into a certain tolerance and not be cracked.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:36 PM   #25
dmn0507
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamcanjim View Post
Tensile strength is 6930 lbs. Is that enough?
For normal riding conditions that strength would be enough, but if the chain is too tight it's a whole different story since the swingarm is stressing the chain far more than the engine, anyways i would choose something more beefy for a 1100cc, like the 530VX which is a lot cheaper than the recomemnded (a.k.a. overkill) ZVMX
(I had the zvmx on my 990 ADV, recently bought a VX for about 1/3rd of the price of the zvmx)

The pic is too blurry, but that seems to be the link to whicjk the master link is connected, any pic of the ML available?

EDIT: as reference, for a DID 525VX gold plated I've spent 56€ including shipping (seems a good deal to me, but i was in a rush so i didn't spent time to find the best possible price) compared to about 150€ for the ZVMX (2 years ago).

dmn0507 screwed with this post 09-04-2013 at 12:43 PM
dmn0507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:09 PM   #26
iamcanjim OP
Face drop

Called the shop RE: Chain tightness. They said that they left the chain at the same tightness it was when they changed the tire. I suppose I should be annoyed they didn't correct it, but what can you do. I don't think I will use them again.