User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2013, 11:03 PM   #1
Birdmove OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,525
Sym hd200

We bought a new leftover 2008 SYM HD200 about 2009 in Washington State. We moved to the Big Island of Hawaii almost two years ago. The HD200 just broke 7000 miles. The valves had never been checked, so today, with the help of a great youtube on doing just that on an HD200. It's a single cylinder water cooled 172 cc engine with a ceramic coated cylinder. With removing and reinstalling the body parts and being my first time doing this, it took about an hour and a half. The valves were still at perfect clearances, and I didn't have to reset any of the two intake and two exhaust valves. I knew they would be close, as when I removed the valve covers and rotated to TDC on compression stroke, I could feel a little play in each one.
The bike has got a bit hard starting when cold, and I was worried that the valves were too tight, but no such problem. It runs great warm. Maybe the auto choke is acting up. I'm still learning about scooters. I've ridden motorcycle since I was eight, and I'll be sixty on Nov. 1st.
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 01:16 AM   #2
Midnullarbor
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
The Sym HD200 is the Best in Class, for a small-to-medium scooter (IMHO).

Good all-round design, in so many ways.
Why go smaller than 170cc, when you lose so much performance?
And to get significantly better highway cruising, you must go a lot larger ~ not just an "average" 300 scooter, but the best of the 300's (or larger).

Arguably, the HD200 is right in the middle of the "sweet spot" in scooter design.

Please give us some more details of your experiences with the Sym !
Midnullarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 01:37 AM   #3
ferrix
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 638
I just had the first failure on my machine: at 23,000kms the headlight bulb burned out! :)

I also put on the new set of tyres (in place of the original set, yes, it lasted 23,000kms) and replaced the belt, also the original item.

Show me more reliable scooter at any price, and I'll buy it.
ferrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:39 AM   #4
Dabears
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 998
They have become unobtainium in Atlanta. Our local Vespa/SYM dealer doesn't even bother to carry any.

A search on Searchtempest or Cycletrader reveal almost none out there. Suggest you hang on to yours.

One turned up on Craigslist cheap last week just as I was heading out of town. I guess I'll just keep looking for a used one or a used BV250.

2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:28 AM   #5
Birdmove OP
Beastly Adventurer

It's been s great scooter. Ours is getting mid eighty mpg. Smooth, plenty of power, handles well. We have a rear cargo box, and between that and the grocery bag holder in front, and the under seat storage the thing is a pack mule. My only negatives are no kick starter as a backup and it's a bit of work to add coolant. They should have made an easy to remove cover over the surge tank and made it an easy access. Comfortable as can be too. It'll cruise at 65-70+. Here on the Big Island of Hawaii the main highways are 55 mph max, and it's a cakewalk to do 55-60 for this scooter. I change oil every 1000 miles as it just holds a quart, but many change at 155++ miles. Great service provided by Firedrake (Google Firedrake SYM HD200) and his wonderful youtube videos on most maintenance chores on this fine scooter. Very good weather protection too. Much better than our Kymco People 150, which is a great scooter in it's own right.
You can't go wrong buying a SYM HD200. The 2009 and later have disk rear brakes. Our 2008 has drum brakes in back.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:21 AM   #6
Jurgen
Trolljegeren

Oddometer: 38,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdmove View Post
It's been s great scooter. Ours is getting mid eighty mpg. Smooth, plenty of power, handles well. We have a rear cargo box, and between that and the grocery bag holder in front, and the under seat storage the thing is a pack mule. My only negatives are no kick starter as a backup and it's a bit of work to add coolant. They should have made an easy to remove cover over the surge tank and made it an easy access. Comfortable as can be too. It'll cruise at 65-70+. Here on the Big Island of Hawaii the main highways are 55 mph max, and it's a cakewalk to do 55-60 for this scooter. I change oil every 1000 miles as it just holds a quart, but many change at 155++ miles. Great service provided by Firedrake (Google Firedrake SYM HD200) and his wonderful youtube videos on most maintenance chores on this fine scooter. Very good weather protection too. Much better than our Kymco People 150, which is a great scooter in it's own right.
You can't go wrong buying a SYM HD200. The 2009 and later have disk rear brakes. Our 2008 has drum brakes in back.

Interesting the hear. Thanks for the mini-review. The Santa Fe dealership has a new one on "special" (that frankly isn't all that special) right now. Out the door price of $3999.

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:44 AM   #7
guzziknight
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabears View Post
They have become unobtainium in Atlanta. Our local Vespa/SYM dealer doesn't even bother to carry any.

A search on Searchtempest or Cycletrader reveal almost none out there. Suggest you hang on to yours.

One turned up on Craigslist cheap last week just as I was heading out of town. I guess I'll just keep looking for a used one or a used BV250.
I think you're talking about the one in Midtown that was asking $995, right? I tried to get it, went fast!!
guzziknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:31 PM   #8
samthg
Sam...I am.

Oddometer: 1,440
Just spent 2 hours running around on mine(haircut, dentist, etc), and then hit PCH thru Huntington Beach....

I really, really love this bike(and I have many, not all are listed).

I thought I would be adding a '14, BUT, apparently no fuel injection...

That's ok, i'm enjoying the hec outta this one.

samthg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:39 PM   #9
Dabears
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzziknight View Post
I think you're talking about the one in Midtown that was asking $995, right? I tried to get it, went fast!!
Yeah, that's the one. Price was crazy low for the miles. Figured it would last about as long as a glass of ice tea on a summer's day in ATL. Somebody got a deal.....

2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Old 09-03-2013, 01:48 PM   #10
alphaBETAdog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Birdmove,

What type of valves are they? Conventional screw tappets or the newer shim under buck kind? It seems some of the newer small engines use the shim type and go for a long time before getting out of adjustment, but the screw type are so much easier to adjust.

I'm really partial to the HD200 and came real close to buying one, took a nice test ride and everything. But got a smoking deal on a slightly used Scarabeo 150 that I couldn't pass up. Very comparable scoots in my opinion.

alphaBETAdog screwed with this post 09-03-2013 at 04:35 PM
alphaBETAdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:05 PM   #11
guzziknight
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabears View Post
Yeah, that's the one. Price was crazy low for the miles. Figured it would last about as long as a glass of ice tea on a summer's day in ATL. Somebody got a deal.....
Yep, that's about how long it lasted.
guzziknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:57 PM   #12
LarryRickenbacker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Sym HD200: Enjoys a very good reputation.

Howdy,

One reads/ hears nothing but good things about Sym's bikes, especially the HD200. Pity there are no dealers in my area (NW La.). BTW, my Honda Sh150i has been fantastic, save for recently, when a battery cable vibrated itself loose. I mention this because the two bikes are similar.
LarryRickenbacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:14 PM   #13
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,382
This place http://scooterinvasion.com/ has new 2013s for $3199 OTD. Very tempting, but it's only a 170cc. I don't know what the real world top speed is, it is freeway legal, but just barely. The only interest I have in it is as a freeway ride, I already have 125cc scooters that work fine everywhere else. $3200 sounds cheap for something that could be ridden on the freeway, but not if it is going to get you killed. I do like the short, large diameter wheeled look. And it does have the advantages (to me) of a carbed engine and no ABS. I would love to trade my FI Zuma 125 for it, but I would lose a fortune.

JerryH screwed with this post 09-03-2013 at 09:29 PM
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:52 AM   #14
Birdmove OP
Beastly Adventurer

The HD has screw type valve adjusters. Check the video on youtube that I mention above. His HD200 is a bit more work due to stuff he added to his. It is a 4 valve head, so you have 2 intakes and 2 exhausts. Not a bad job at all to check and adjust valves. There is a lower plastic cover that he removes in the video. I didn't take that off. I almost did, but was able to get the feeler gauge between the valve stem and adjuster tappet on the right side exhaust valve, and it was fine. I may have had to remove the cover if it would have needed to be adjusted. I would not mess with a shim type valve adjustment system. I probably wouldn't buy a motorcycle or scooter with that type either. I have no problem adjusting screw type valves. Did that a lot on big diesel engines for the shop I worked at.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:10 AM   #15
Dabears
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
This place http://scooterinvasion.com/ has new 2013s for $3199 OTD. Very tempting, but it's only a 170cc. I don't know what the real world top speed is, it is freeway legal, but just barely. The only interest I have in it is as a freeway ride, I already have 125cc scooters that work fine everywhere else. $3200 sounds cheap for something that could be ridden on the freeway, but not if it is going to get you killed. I do like the short, large diameter wheeled look. And it does have the advantages (to me) of a carbed engine and no ABS. I would love to trade my FI Zuma 125 for it, but I would lose a fortune.
Jerry-

The reason I've been looking at them is that even though it's 171cc the top speed is over 70 mph (seems around 72 mph gps verified), and the weight is lower than most 200cc scooters given that it has a carb instead of FI and no ABS. I've been looking at scooters for a year, and have yet to find anything in it's weight and displacement class that will match it's top speed. I have considered moving to a heavier scooter (Piaggio BV250) if I can find one, but for the money I have not found anything that checks off as many boxes.

There are great 150s and 200s out there, but they are either heavier, more expensive, slower, or combinations of above. Why are these things so important? Because I'm looking to carry it on a Versahaul on the back of my motorhome- it has to be able to carry my wife and I comfortably and not be so heavy that I can't manage it up the ramp.....As I've said in previous posts the HD200 is not my idea of my dream scooter, but it does seem to cover most of my needs (if I can ever find a decent deal on one).

If you want faster than an HD200 you will likely need to look at 250cc scooters, as there are many great used ones that should cover your need for speed without the cost.

2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E