Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2013, 04:46 AM   #16
JerseyBiker
Scootarazzi

Oddometer: 1,858
I had an HD200 for a while and regularly rode it on interstates with no problem.

It's a great scooter. Light, fast and easy to maintain.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:41 AM   #17
Midnullarbor
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
Is the fuel-injected version (HD200 Evo) not available locally?

Allegedly 15hp, but performs better than that suggests.
Perhaps they are real horsepower . . . or the transmission is lower friction than Vespa's or similar's.
Midnullarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:24 AM   #18
AMAC1680
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnullarbor View Post
Is the fuel-injected version (HD200 Evo) not available locally?

Allegedly 15hp, but performs better than that suggests.
Perhaps they are real horsepower . . . or the transmission is lower friction than Vespa's or similar's.
SYM will not be bringing the HD/RV 200 EVO to the states with EFI. At least not for 2014. I have ridden both and a top speed of 73 GPS. They are strong scoots and I had no issues with highway traffic.

Be Big,
AMAC
SYM RV200 EVO
Lance "Cali Classic" 125
AMAC1680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:51 AM   #19
JerseyBiker
Scootarazzi

AMAC

Another scoot on my list is the RV. Can you tell me how they compare when riding?

I had an HD but prefer the riding position of the RV and wonder if the handling feels different or anything else differs.

TIA
Old 09-04-2013, 10:15 AM   #20
YamaGeek
Ancient trailbike padwan

Oddometer: 5,828
The shop I worked at had a lot of overstocked 2008~2009 HD125-HD200's. I'm surprised they didn't get sold, as they were amazingly top notch for their price and displacement. We sold a lot of Genuine Buddys and Buddy Internationals, I guess the retro look was more of a sales point.

YamaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:30 AM   #21
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 2,784
I have always wanted to get the HD200. Everything about that bike oozes quality. Just wish they would get an oil filter in it.
brianwheelies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:08 PM   #22
AMAC1680
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyBiker View Post
AMAC

Another scoot on my list is the RV. Can you tell me how they compare when riding?

I had an HD but prefer the riding position of the RV and wonder if the handling feels different or anything else differs.

TIA
The RV was high on my list also. I own a Kymco People S200, 16" wheels upright riding position. What a great scoot ! Solid with smooth power.

I also looked at a Kymco Downtown 300 , a SYM Citicom and the Honda Forza.
The Forza is simply to big for what I like in a scooter, a true maxi. The Downtown and the Citicom were removed from the list based on the lack of a flat floor.

I had the pleasure to take both the HD and RV 200 on extended rides.

The HD has a riding position much like the kymco more sporty. Narrow handlebars high stance. Crack the throttle and hold on ! That's one bad little 171cc thumper. Good power right up to 73 GPS . With the 16" wheels took on all road surfaces pretty much as a cycle would. Tracked straight as an arrow at speed and was very predicable. Above average brakes that will stop the scoot in a hurry.

The RV feels more like a scooter. Lower seat height wider bars and 13" wheels up front 12" rear. Although about 40 lbs heavier then the HD I never noticed it in the performance. Power was about the same with the only difference being the smaller wheels. It wasn't "squirrly" at highways speeds but as you would imagine it reacts to input from the driver faster.

I did 120 miles on I95 on the RV. Not my choice but was delivering the scoot to a friend. I never felt underpowered and cruised at 70 mph without a problem. If I was going to ride the interstate as a rule I may have considered a larger scoot but that would effect the RVs nice, quick in town manners.

The underseat storage is massive compared to most in its class. Ill have no need for a top case and that's cool never been a big fan. As you can tell I like this scoot.

Matter of fact I've been on the fence for the last six months its time to get off. I'm going down right now to seal a deal! Thanks for the push.

Be Bug,
AMAC
SYM RV200 EVO
Lance "Cali Classic" 125
AMAC1680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:56 PM   #23
Croak
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
Shame the Kymco Agility City 200i isn't sold Stateside. Just picked one up here in Malta recently, pretty damn happy with it. Dual disc, fuel injection, 16" wheels, nicely styled (reminds me a lot of the Aprilia SportCity), and of course it's Kymco-priced.

Sure, it's really just a puffed up 150, but it uses all 11.2 of those ponies well, and it was less out the door than a Honda PCX125.
Croak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:46 PM   #24
JerseyBiker
Scootarazzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMAC1680 View Post
The RV was high on my list also. I own a Kymco People S200, 16" wheels upright riding position. What a great scoot ! Solid with smooth power.

I also looked at a Kymco Downtown 300 , a SYM Citicom and the Honda Forza.
The Forza is simply to big for what I like in a scooter, a true maxi. The Downtown and the Citicom were removed from the list based on the lack of a flat floor.

I had the pleasure to take both the HD and RV 200 on extended rides.

The HD has a riding position much like the kymco more sporty. Narrow handlebars high stance. Crack the throttle and hold on ! That's one bad little 171cc thumper. Good power right up to 73 GPS . With the 16" wheels took on all road surfaces pretty much as a cycle would. Tracked straight as an arrow at speed and was very predicable. Above average brakes that will stop the scoot in a hurry.

The RV feels more like a scooter. Lower seat height wider bars and 13" wheels up front 12" rear. Although about 40 lbs heavier then the HD I never noticed it in the performance. Power was about the same with the only difference being the smaller wheels. It wasn't "squirrly" at highways speeds but as you would imagine it reacts to input from the driver faster.

I did 120 miles on I95 on the RV. Not my choice but was delivering the scoot to a friend. I never felt underpowered and cruised at 70 mph without a problem. If I was going to ride the interstate as a rule I may have considered a larger scoot but that would effect the RVs nice, quick in town manners.

The underseat storage is massive compared to most in its class. Ill have no need for a top case and that's cool never been a big fan. As you can tell I like this scoot.

Matter of fact I've been on the fence for the last six months its time to get off. I'm going down right now to seal a deal! Thanks for the push.

Be Bug,
AMAC
Thanks for that info!

I've been waiting for the Forza but a dealer gave me an OTD price of around $6700 so my thoughts went back to other scoots. I'll wait till a Forza shows up on the used market.

If you rode 120 miles on I95 then it can do everything I'd want.

Once I tire of the Vespa, the RV will be high on my list now.

Can't wait for more info and photos if you get one.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:19 PM   #25
Dabears
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 998
http://tucson.craigslist.org/mcy/4035382544.html

Where's JerryH? There's a 2013 HD200 in Tucson for $2500! Snap this bad boy up man!

I'd be on this if it wasn't the other side of the country!

2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:34 PM   #26
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabears View Post
http://tucson.craigslist.org/mcy/4035382544.html

Where's JerryH? There's a 2013 HD200 in Tucson for $2500! Snap this bad boy up man!

I'd be on this if it wasn't the other side of the country!
It's still there. I guess I could call in sick tomorrow, and go take a look. But, I can still get a brand new 2013 here in Tempe for just a hair over $3000 OTD. That's only a $500 difference, and about $100 of that would go for gas. I would have to drive over a 100 miles to look at it, if I bought it I would have to ride it back, then pay someone for gas to take me back to Tucson and pick up my car, and drive their vehicle back, then drive my car back. That's over 500 miles in a car/truck. Plus the dealer here would take my Zuma or Vino, maybe both, in trade. I know that everybody says you can do a lot better on Craigslist, but that has not been my experience. Out of 7 or 8 things I have listed on Craigslist, only 2 wound up selling, and for much less than they were worth. People see Craigslist as an online Goodwill store.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:05 AM   #27
Dabears
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
It's still there. I guess I could call in sick tomorrow, and go take a look. But, I can still get a brand new 2013 here in Tempe for just a hair over $3000 OTD. That's only a $500 difference, and about $100 of that would go for gas. I would have to drive over a 100 miles to look at it, if I bought it I would have to ride it back, then pay someone for gas to take me back to Tucson and pick up my car, and drive their vehicle back, then drive my car back. That's over 500 miles in a car/truck. Plus the dealer here would take my Zuma or Vino, maybe both, in trade. I know that everybody says you can do a lot better on Craigslist, but that has not been my experience. Out of 7 or 8 things I have listed on Craigslist, only 2 wound up selling, and for much less than they were worth. People see Craigslist as an online Goodwill store.
Are you serious? You can get a new HD200 Evo for $3k OTD? For the past year you've been saying how the dealers in AZ mark up the prices like crazy and you've lamented the fact that you need a highway capable scooter when all the while New HD200s are available in Phoenix for $3k??

Dang Jerry. I can't even FIND an HD200 in the Atlanta area. I think the Jacksonville FL dealer has them, but then it's out of state purchase, taxes, transport, 12 hour RT drive, etc.

Okay, I'm jerking your chain a little, but if HD200s are only $3k, then i'm guessing Citycom 300s are well priced too. Me thinks you don't have an issue sourcing well priced high value scooters after all.

2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Old 09-09-2013, 02:26 PM   #28
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabears View Post
Are you serious? You can get a new HD200 Evo for $3k OTD? For the past year you've been saying how the dealers in AZ mark up the prices like crazy and you've lamented the fact that you need a highway capable scooter when all the while New HD200s are available in Phoenix for $3k??

Dang Jerry. I can't even FIND an HD200 in the Atlanta area. I think the Jacksonville FL dealer has them, but then it's out of state purchase, taxes, transport, 12 hour RT drive, etc.

Okay, I'm jerking your chain a little, but if HD200s are only $3k, then i'm guessing Citycom 300s are well priced too. Me thinks you don't have an issue sourcing well priced high value scooters after all.
The price gouging issues do not involve Kymco, SYM, and Genuine dealers, but pretty much everything else. Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Harley, Piaggio, BMW, KTM, Triumph all have problems. Sometimes you can stumble onto a decent deal at a Japanese dealer, especially if they are overstocked with last years models. I have also found a couple of good deals on new Triumph Bonnevilles, but they were the base models, not the T-100 that I like.

I understand that some of the Taiwanese companies have taken up Japanese business practices, but so far that has not happened here.

I have 3 scooters bought new, and got every one of them OTD for under MSRP. But that is the exception, not the rule. 2 of them were leftover Japanese scooters, the other was a leftover Genuine Stella 2 stroke. Dealer had two, and just wanted them gone.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:07 PM   #29
Warney
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 557
Price drop to $2300 obo. That means $2000-$2100 where I come from. Jerry, no excuses.Oh, and here is a song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWQwx89gy-I
Warney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:00 PM   #30
Dabears
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warney View Post
Price drop to $2300 obo. That means $2000-$2100 where I come from. Jerry, no excuses.Oh, and here is a song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWQwx89gy-I
Argh! You're killing me!!!!

2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E