Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2013, 03:52 AM   #31
AMAC1680
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 590
I never understood why the HD has no kick start but the RV does........
Strange.

Be Big,
AMAC
SYM RV200 EVO
Lance "Cali Classic" 125
AMAC1680 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 07:50 AM   #32
blugg1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
I did not know that the RV had a kickstart. Is it the same engine?

I live in a quaint old mining town in the Mule mountains. It has become a weekend tourist destination and lots of motorcycle and scooter riders are among the visitors. Several times six or 8 scooteristas will park next to my HD. Basically, they've never seen nor heard of one. Actually, I hadn't either, that is until last March when my riding buddy and I were shooting the bull at the local coffee shop. "You know, we're getting too old for Ducatis and Ninjas," I said. "Maybe we should just get motor scooters."

My friend nodded, then went home and apparently spent many hours on his computer researching scooters. Neither of us knew much about them. Well, a few days later he sent me an email: "SYM. It's the best." He's a man of few words.

Never having heard of SYM, I fired up Craigslist for Southeast AZ and one popped up, a 2012 HD200, and it was located almost in my back yard (around here that means within 25 miles). I googled it for pictures and decided it looked nice and modern and especially nice in red. And red it turned out to be.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:04 AM   #33
benybarr
n00b

Oddometer: 1
sym scooter

I came back from Israel about 2 moths ago and to my surprise ,the MOST common scooter there is by far the SYM 200's and 125's all over.
my son hase a SYM 200 and he LOVE it.........
benybarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 08:16 AM   #34
AMAC1680
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by blugg1 View Post
I did not know that the RV had a kickstart. Is it the same engine?
Yes sir same exact kicker. Makes no sence at all.

Be Big,
AMAC
SYM RV200 EVO
Lance "Cali Classic" 125
AMAC1680 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:03 AM   #35
CaptnJim
Scootist

Oddometer: 1,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Some other things I like about the HD200, is that it beats the vaunted PCX150. Quality should be the same, but the SYM has more displacement, larger wheels, is faster, has a 2 year warranty, easy valve adjustments, has a carb, and does not have linked brakes. It seems there is just no way to go wrong with this scooter. It's biggest problem seems to be that not many have ever heard of it. When they go looking for a scooter, they go for Japanese or Vespa. I have not bought one, because i still have 2 freeway capable motorcycles, and my 125s do fine around town and on rural roads.
Really? I'm OK with the fact that you find it more up your alley than the PCX... but that's kinda like saying, "My previous V-Strom beats the PCX: it has more displacement, larger wheels, is faster... oh, and it doesn't have a carb, either" Duh.

"The biggest problem" is "not many have heard of it"??? As a self-described "non-conformist," I would think this would be the BIGGEST DRAW for you!

You didn't buy one, 'cause you haven't put your money where your mouth is. If it is so great, sell that other stuff and buy this PCX beater.

I'm not being mean here. We all make decisions based on our situations, our biases, our desires. I picked the PCX because it does what I need (running lots of miles on the Interstate on two wheels isn't one of my needs these days). It wasn't a speed contest, and I don't mind spending a couple hours getting to the valves to check/adjust them... if that's what it takes. I did the research, made my choice, and bought the scoots. I didn't make my choice because it was a "Zuma beater," or most definitely a "Vino beater" (the first scooter my wife was interested in btw). The PCX has certainly been a good choice for us.

Everything I read about the SYM HD200 was good. The distribution situation with SYM was pretty unsettled when I bought our scoots. Plus, I was looking for the smallest scoot that would do what I wanted... WITH fuel injection and water cooled. (When we ordered our boat 7 years ago, I picked the particular power for that boat because it had fuel injection... I have not had a single fuel injection issue with any vehicle/vessel that has had it... I am particularly fond of the way these PCXes start and run, thanks to the fuel injection.) AND, I wanted a dealer/distribution system that would make parts availability practical.

For the record, I did not pay over the MSRP for these bikes. You suggested this particular dealer, Jerry, and I appreciate that advice. I've since visited with other PCX owners who bought elsewhere and did not pay more than MSRP... and some who did. Do the research, make the decison, act on it - that's my system. I enjoy reading here... I learn stuff all the time (you apparently can teach an old dog something)... sometimes I just get a good laugh. Sometimes I think, "That's cool." Or even, "Nice ride report." I enjoy seeing people enjoying. And, I understand that a person's decision to go a certain way doesn't affect my decision. Nor mine theirs.

An opinion is easy to come by. If it isn't backed up by action... well, it's just another opinion. And, that's my opinion.

Jim
Old 11-03-2013, 03:27 PM   #36
Buzz363
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 327
Bought my wife a HD200 several years ago it performs well and gets great fuel economy. Only issue so far was taking the front fairing off to check/add coolant. Ended up drilling out a few screws which had rusted up which wasn't a huge issue but a PITA.

When I checked the belt the lower skirting came off failrly which surprized me. Hasn't needed anything other than routine maintenance, I'm impressed with it.
Buzz363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 03:51 PM   #37
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdmove View Post
We bought a new leftover 2008 SYM HD200 about 2009 in Washington State. We moved to the Big Island of Hawaii almost two years ago. The HD200 just broke 7000 miles. The valves had never been checked, so today, with the help of a great youtube on doing just that on an HD200. It's a single cylinder water cooled 172 cc engine with a ceramic coated cylinder. With removing and reinstalling the body parts and being my first time doing this, it took about an hour and a half. The valves were still at perfect clearances, and I didn't have to reset any of the two intake and two exhaust valves. I knew they would be close, as when I removed the valve covers and rotated to TDC on compression stroke, I could feel a little play in each one.
The bike has got a bit hard starting when cold, and I was worried that the valves were too tight, but no such problem. It runs great warm. Maybe the auto choke is acting up. I'm still learning about scooters. I've ridden motorcycle since I was eight, and I'll be sixty on Nov. 1st.
If your scoot is running really well and isn't making any bad sounds, the valves don't need to be adjusted. Frequent valve adjustments means poor quality machinery. I have a 1984 Honda CH125 scooter that has never needed a valve adjustment.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:26 AM   #38
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootrboi View Post
If your scoot is running really well and isn't making any bad sounds, the valves don't need to be adjusted. Frequent valve adjustments means poor quality machinery. I have a 1984 Honda CH125 scooter that has never needed a valve adjustment.
Just because a Manufacturer suggests frequent valve adjustments, doesn't mean it poor quality. Both the Honda PCX and Kymco Super 8 150 call for 2500 mile valve checks. That doesn't mean the valves will actually require adjustments that often. The last 2 checks on my Super 8 found the valve clearances spot on. I will probably not check them every 2500 miles from here on. On top of that, it's only a 45 min procedure and costs nothing to do. I suspect most PCX owners will also find that their valves will rarely require adjustment.

My Yamaha XT350 calls for 4000 mile valve checks. At 17000 miles I adjusted them for the first time and they were only slightly out.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 01:46 AM   #39
Birdmove OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,675
The problem with valves is that, if they are too loose they will make noise. But if they are too tight, you may well never know until engine damage lets you know. That's the real reason to check them. Burned exhaust valves can be the result of too tight.
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 01:37 PM   #40
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJim View Post
Really? I'm OK with the fact that you find it more up your alley than the PCX... but that's kinda like saying, "My previous V-Strom beats the PCX: it has more displacement, larger wheels, is faster... oh, and it doesn't have a carb, either" Duh.

"The biggest problem" is "not many have heard of it"??? As a self-described "non-conformist," I would think this would be the BIGGEST DRAW for you!

You didn't buy one, 'cause you haven't put your money where your mouth is. If it is so great, sell that other stuff and buy this PCX beater.

I'm not being mean here. We all make decisions based on our situations, our biases, our desires. I picked the PCX because it does what I need (running lots of miles on the Interstate on two wheels isn't one of my needs these days). It wasn't a speed contest, and I don't mind spending a couple hours getting to the valves to check/adjust them... if that's what it takes. I did the research, made my choice, and bought the scoots. I didn't make my choice because it was a "Zuma beater," or most definitely a "Vino beater" (the first scooter my wife was interested in btw). The PCX has certainly been a good choice for us.

Everything I read about the SYM HD200 was good. The distribution situation with SYM was pretty unsettled when I bought our scoots. Plus, I was looking for the smallest scoot that would do what I wanted... WITH fuel injection and water cooled. (When we ordered our boat 7 years ago, I picked the particular power for that boat because it had fuel injection... I have not had a single fuel injection issue with any vehicle/vessel that has had it... I am particularly fond of the way these PCXes start and run, thanks to the fuel injection.) AND, I wanted a dealer/distribution system that would make parts availability practical.

For the record, I did not pay over the MSRP for these bikes. You suggested this particular dealer, Jerry, and I appreciate that advice. I've since visited with other PCX owners who bought elsewhere and did not pay more than MSRP... and some who did. Do the research, make the decison, act on it - that's my system. I enjoy reading here... I learn stuff all the time (you apparently can teach an old dog something)... sometimes I just get a good laugh. Sometimes I think, "That's cool." Or even, "Nice ride report." I enjoy seeing people enjoying. And, I understand that a person's decision to go a certain way doesn't affect my decision. Nor mine theirs.

An opinion is easy to come by. If it isn't backed up by action... well, it's just another opinion. And, that's my opinion.

Jim

First of all, no offense intended. Nobody here likes my Stella either, but I am perfectly happy with it, problems and all. It is a real machine, made out of real metal, way more fun than any CVT scooter I've ever ridden, easy to work on, great parts availability, great looks, NO valves to adjust. It is anything but refined, which is what I like best about it. It's old tech, and has some rough edges, as a machine should. It's noisy, vibrates, and smokes. I wonder how anyone cannot love all that. It would be better if it were more reliable and still retain all it's other characteristics. The real shame is that is totally possible. And yes, I will most likely get a vintage Vespa at some point.

As for the SYM, I would already own one if it were possible. But resale on bikes around here is terrible, If I sold my two Japanese scooters (and one of them is a like new 2012) I wouldn't get anywhere near enough to buy a new SYM HD200. I can get way more out of them by riding them than selling them. Sometime just after the end of March 2014, things will change. I will definitely be getting a new scooter, very possibly an HD200. If I get something else, it will because I decided I needed more displacement. It would still almost certainly be a SYM or a Kymco. Vespas are great, but out of my price range. Japanese scooters cost more than they are worth. They are no more reliable or of higher quality than Taiwanese scooters. Not only that, but my two "Japanese" scooters were both made in Taiwan.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 03:11 PM   #41
cnw126
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Hello All,

So my father just bought a new Sym HD200.

He needs my pickup to get it and we can't pick it up till the Dec. 13th due to my schedule.

Anyway, Really looking forward to checking it out and posting here.
cnw126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 03:14 PM   #42
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 3,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnw126 View Post
Hello All,

So my father just bought a new Sym HD200.

He needs my pickup to get it and we can't pick it up till the Dec. 13th due to my schedule.

Anyway, Really looking forward to checking it out and posting here.
Talk about anticipation exponents!

Haven't ridden the HD200 but my RV250 sure is a kick and the quality of SYM products is excellent.
brianwheelies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 09:31 PM   #43
blugg1
Gnarly Adventurer

I have an HD200. It's well built, with a bullet-proof engine. Actually, it's probably the same - or nearly the same - engine that's in the RV250, give or take a few cc's.
Old 06-11-2014, 04:10 AM   #44
saintell
Monarchs #30

Oddometer: 356
My first scoot is an hd 200

I have an HD200 which I came by quite out of the blue,.I was helping a friend who was cleaning an old house previously owned by a hoarder type person who had recently died,in the garage was an HD200 which had obviously been in an accident because all the damaged front plastics were off it,it was offered to me free so I said why not,so I began to try and locate new/ second hand plastics which I was able to get in exactly the same colour,all good so far,I then did a search to find out if the scoot was stolen or anything,wasn't stolen but was listed as a repairable write off,this was unfortunate because it costs $500 to get it passed so it can be registered for another $500,$1000 all up,not good news,anyway I was looking thru the spare parts ads and spied an HD 200 for sale for the same price I was going to pay anyway,so I bought it, kilometers 23000,beaut condition 2008 model and I must say it is a joy to ride,and it is red,another convert and an addition to the fleet,cheers Nev ps I live in Melbourne Australia
Old 06-11-2014, 09:56 AM   #45
blugg1
Gnarly Adventurer

Congratulations; now you've got spare parts. Probably easier to come by those in Australia as it's close to Asia. I live in an Arizona County the size of the states of Connecticut and Rhode Island combined and I've never even seen another SYM.