Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2013, 07:57 AM   #16
motobene OP
Motoing for 43 years

Oddometer: 1,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by laser17 View Post
More Tech info - The guts of it all.
Great detail from Rising Sun. Thanks, Laser.

Conventional damper rod style on compression side, with a bypass orifice adjuster at bottom. Cartridge-style on the rebound. Simple design.

Do the Marzocchis have cartridges on both sides? I haven't been into mine yet.
motobene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:40 AM   #17
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,288
I believe so. 2010 did. Never took 2011 apart either.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:12 PM   #18
motobene OP
Motoing for 43 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting32 View Post
I believe so. 2010 did. Never took 2011 apart either.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Hey is that last sentence something from Mars Attacks?
Old 09-14-2013, 07:55 AM   #19
motobene OP
Motoing for 43 years

I have written Reiger about shock servicing and tech info. We'll see what comes back. Typically I don't get replies from those info@ email addresses.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:22 PM   #20
liviob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 702
I was going to buy one for my evo but the Reiger tech said that the damper had to be sent back to him for oil change or rebuild. He said "special" tools were needed. I declined the purchase. I can rebuild the 2000-2002 and the later rev 3 paioli which looks similar and the Sachs on my evo. I think they don't want anyone to see their technology. I am pretty sure I can service the Reiger damper but if Reiger wont sell a service kit I cannot rebuild it unless the parts can be sourced elsewhere. That damper is not emulsion. It has a piston which separates the oil and gas.
liviob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:43 AM   #21
motobene OP
Motoing for 43 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by liviob View Post
I was going to buy one for my evo but the Reiger tech said that the damper had to be sent back to him for oil change or rebuild. He said "special" tools were needed. I declined the purchase. I can rebuild the 2000-2002 and the later rev 3 paioli which looks similar and the Sachs on my evo. I think they don't want anyone to see their technology. I am pretty sure I can service the Reiger damper but if Reiger wont sell a service kit I cannot rebuild it unless the parts can be sourced elsewhere. That damper is not emulsion. It has a piston which separates the oil and gas.
If you were going to buy a new one, you should not need servicing for quite a while, if ever, so why not just buy one?

One thing I'll find out when I get into mine is how fast the oil tends to get trashed. There's some hard-pounding hours on my shock. If the oil comes out fairly clear, you all will be able to take confidence these things can get the crap beat out of them with little worry for servicing. I typically pour some of the oil onto a white paper towel to see the amont of particulates in the oil.

I'll soon be receiving getting a back-up Reiger so I can confidently get into the Reiger in need of servicing to do so and display its guts here. Speculation by three of us now is this is a bladder accumulator shock, and not piston accumulator (DeCarbon-style piston separating gas from oil).

We need a USA source for servicing these things, and I or another should be able to do so. The factory's caution against just any old servicing effort is understandable, as they are trying to prevent problems from poor rebuilds. Sometimes the special tools are needed, sometimes the lack of them just adds to the time to service one.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:08 AM   #22
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by motobene View Post
Hey is that last sentence something from Mars Attacks?
you mean the "tapatalk" line? that is auto generated sig, from the application I use to read forums, when on my phone. problem is I hate trying to type on tiny screen filled with tiny keyboard, lol. I left it, in hopes of those that "know" will understand the "more than normal for me, the typo's" and messed up words... as I have tried several times to let Android & google convert speech to text, then post. Only to realize that when I say certain words, for example "rider" is always transcribed or written by google voice, as "writer" and other silly ass changes and synonyms...

lol.
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:29 AM   #23
liviob
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
If you were going to buy a new one, you should not need servicing for quite a while, if ever, so why not just buy one?

One thing I'll find out when I get into mine is how fast the oil tends to get trashed. There's some hard-pounding hours on my shock. If the oil comes out fairly clear, you all will be able to take confidence these things can get the crap beat out of them with little worry for servicing. I typically pour some of the oil onto a white paper towel to see the amont of particulates in the oil.

I'll soon be receiving getting a back-up Reiger so I can confidently get into the Reiger in need of servicing to do so and display its guts here. Speculation by three of us now is this is a bladder accumulator shock, and not piston accumulator (DeCarbon-style piston separating gas from oil).

We need a USA source for servicing these things, and I or another should be able to do so. The factory's caution against just any old servicing effort is understandable, as they are trying to prevent problems from poor rebuilds. Sometimes the special tools are needed, sometimes the lack of them just adds to the time to service one.
I usually ride every weekend and I service the evo damper about every 4-6 months. The oil is very dirty at the time of service. Also I notice the oil begin deteriorating by the third ride. The damper holds about a shot glass full of oil and the Rieger holds less because of its diameter. The Reiger does not use a floating piston it is built like the 03-08 Paoli damper used on the Beta rev3 series bikes. Personally I don't think this Reiger damper needs special tools to disassemble. My Evo damper still works fine and is serviceable so spending $1200 plus shipping for the Reiger damper is not necessary and should it need to be sent to Reiger for every service I would not be happy.
Old 09-21-2013, 07:50 AM   #24
motobene OP
Motoing for 43 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by liviob View Post
I usually ride every weekend and I service the evo damper about every 4-6 months. The oil is very dirty at the time of service. Also I notice the oil begin deteriorating by the third ride. The damper holds about a shot glass full of oil and the Rieger holds less because of its diameter. The Reiger does not use a floating piston it is built like the 03-08 Paoli damper used on the Beta rev3 series bikes. Personally I don't think this Reiger damper needs special tools to disassemble. My Evo damper still works fine and is serviceable so spending $1200 plus shipping for the Reiger damper is not necessary and should it need to be sent to Reiger for every service I would not be happy.
$1,200 for a standard Reiger? Is this the price for the super Reiger with the 4 adjusters and rebound-delay?
Old 09-21-2013, 09:56 AM   #25
laser17
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 718
No the super Reiger is like $1400 depending on exchange. Ive known several very good riders switch to them and they can feel a huge difference with just a std reiger (3 way adj) as compared to the OEM Sachs shocks. (I think the super shock is only avail for GG's due to a licencing agreement) It would be good to have a USA based servicing option and even better if they were more affordable. I think you have to be pretty serious to justify it (or have plenty of disposable income) The reiger on my raga shows no sign of breakdown - feels like new still, but Im just an intermediate rider and unfortunately dont ride alot these days. (1/week) I do however really like it - its like cheating on hard hits IMO. Stu has done a good job making up lack of usa service for this by providing a loaner if needed. I only know of one shock that lost pressurization and Reiger rebuilt it to new under warranty. (Still had to pay expensive shipping though)
laser17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:30 AM   #26
motobene OP
Motoing for 43 years

Quote:
No the super Reiger is like $1400 depending on exchange. Ive known several very good riders switch to them and they can feel a huge difference with just a std reiger (3 way adj) as compared to the OEM Sachs shocks. (I think the super shock is only avail for GG's due to a licencing agreement) It would be good to have a USA based servicing option and even better if they were more affordable. I think you have to be pretty serious to justify it (or have plenty of disposable income) The reiger on my raga shows no sign of breakdown - feels like new still, but Im just an intermediate rider and unfortunately dont ride alot these days. (1/week) I do however really like it - its like cheating on hard hits IMO. Stu has done a good job making up lack of usa service for this by providing a loaner if needed. I only know of one shock that lost pressurization and Reiger rebuilt it to new under warranty. (Still had to pay expensive shipping though)
Yike$! I'll know more about the Super Reiger as Stu is sending me one to evaluate. I'll document it and publish the results.

I'm particularly interested in the benefits and detractions of the delayed rebound function... how much of it I can adjust in or out. In other words, it's there, and it will hold the rear end down for X seconds on big hits, but what does that do for me and if I don't like it, will one of the adjusters allow me to adjust that tendency away? One (apparently wealthy) rider with one reports that it can make the bike feel heavier in the rear but that it has benefits for control in the rough.

We shall see.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:49 AM   #27
laser17
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Yike$! I'll know more about the Super Reiger as Stu is sending me one to evaluate. I'll document it and publish the results.

I'm particularly interested in the benefits and detractions of the delayed rebound function... how much of it I can adjust in or out. In other words, it's there, and it will hold the rear end down for X seconds on big hits, but what does that do for me and if I don't like it, will one of the adjusters allow me to adjust that tendency away? One (apparently wealthy) rider with one reports that it can make the bike feel heavier in the rear but that it has benefits for control in the rough.

We shall see.
Cool! Will be good to see what you find. One thing bad about the super shock is lack of documentation. Maybe you can help. I know most people may not know how to optimize the setup. The shock allows for High and Low speed damp adjustments, so im sure there is plenty that can be done with it in the right hands. The potential advantage is to keep the shock fast for hoping around on, but slower on the big stuff to avoid the hard bottom (something the std shock does amazingly well already) . The Reiger site used to have a PDF about the different adjustments, but I cant find it anymore. (crappy site IMO) I may have a copy somewhere. The thing I remember about the PDF was that they had a cartoon of a large double hit, that showed the advantage of the delay fx going into the 2nd hit. It seems that was the primary intention of the design. I heard Tony Bou's Showa shock did the same thing. Looking forward to learning from your investigations.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:01 AM   #28
motobene OP
Motoing for 43 years

Quote:
Cool! Will be good to see what you find. One thing bad about the super shock is lack of documentation. Maybe you can help. I know most people may not know how to optimize the setup. The shock allows for High and Low speed damp adjustments, so im sure there is plenty that can be done with it in the right hands. The potential advantage is to keep the shock fast for hoping around on, but slower on the big stuff to avoid the hard bottom (something the std shock does amazingly well already) . The Reiger site used to have a PDF about the different adjustments, but I cant find it anymore. (crappy site IMO) I may have a copy somewhere. The thing I remember about the PDF was that they had a cartoon of a large double hit, that showed the advantage of the delay fx going into the 2nd hit. It seems that was the primary intention of the design. I heard Tony Bou's Showa shock did the same thing. Looking forward to learning from your investigations.
Cute popcorn-eating emoticon.

I've talked with Stu about getting tech info from Reiger. We shall see....

The second hit idea. Interesting. I can see that. We don't do whoops much in trials, so packing the damper out over multiple hard hits may be a non issue.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:20 AM   #29
laser17
Studly Adventurer

Found some documentation that may help. Its a PDF - so had to link it.

http://www.jackscycles.com/files/Gas...nual_print.pdf

I dont think the rebound delay is meant for us mortals. But if your tony or adam, evidently its a great mod. Maybe better for indoors? Keeps the tire on the hit face longer.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:59 PM   #30
liviob
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
$1,200 for a standard Reiger? Is this the price for the super Reiger with the 4 adjusters and rebound-delay?
This was a few years ago but the Reiger tech said that the damper had all of the tricks in it. Delayed rebound after full compression etc.