Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2013, 01:21 PM   #1
davebig OP
Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer: 2,937
Sidecar info good bad and BS Where's it From ?

Fellow inmates I started on advrider in the GS forum but there was so much bullshit and unhelpful crap there that I gave up and figured stuff out myself.

The Hacks forum is better but not as much as I'd hoped, but then again it's the internet no one knows anything about whom they're communicating with.That's why we check each others profile.I used to be a mechanic but I retired from the USPS, I'm not an Engineer just a poor struggling inmate with some mechanical apptitude.
Swaybars been on automobiles both racing and touring for years,put one on your sidecar rig and learned men come out againest such things , some of the learned men are good fellows.Others are repeating something someone told them, cause someone had their confidence.
Be careful where you get your info I've heard people quote alleged BMW dealers giving out very inaccurate information.
Of course we are all products of our learning history. I didn't know shit about sidecars bought one on the owners say it was professionally assembled, it was and still had 20" of wheel lead and was almost unsteerable .WTF do any of these guys have any integrity ? I hadn't done my home work.
I still don't know shit but I am a quick study and willing to attempt to understand things, like Strong Bad I have some excellent references his are better though.
Automotive wheels and tires what's with fear and loathing there ? The Europeans been using them forever. EML EZS they last a long time much longer than motorcycle tires.
What's anyone else think advrider/hacks/ fountain of info ? entertainment ? everyones a saint ? Everyones a Troll ? Everything here is the gospel ? DB

Old 09-03-2013, 01:28 PM   #2
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 7,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebig View Post
What's anyone else think advrider/hacks/ fountain of info ? entertainment ? everyones a saint ? Everyones a Troll ? Everything here is the gospel ? DB
All that and then some
Old 09-03-2013, 02:08 PM   #3
claude
Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer: 3,560
The internet may be the information highway but sometimes the info is questionable....sometimes not . Weigh it all and choose your opinion based on what you feel. Someone once said that the school of experience is a good institution but the tuition can be high. So, learning from others is not a bad thing IF the source is good and hopefully motivated by experience. Are we having fun yet?

Founder: Internet Sidecar Owners Klub at SCT
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

President: C Stanley Motorsports Inc.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...rsandTrailers/

http://freedomsidecars.com/
claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:27 PM   #4
TouringDave
Tri Moto Veritas

Oddometer: 7,004
As my suspension engineer said to me recently..

"I hope you really don't listen TOO much to people on forums, you really should take 90% of it as bullsh*t and 9% with a large grain of salt. The last 1% will hold some truth/facts to it."

Good advice I thought.
TouringDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:41 PM   #5
cleatusj
Dirt floor engineer

Oddometer: 1,106
I am convinced there is very great amount of excellent info available in this forum. If one would just take the time to read as much different build info before deciding which way they want to use/go/build. I read most build threads here, over 3-4 weeks, before I started on my own build. No one builder had most the info I used, but all gave something to the build, even if nothing but not to do it like they did.

I even went as far as to build with no tow in adjustment and have had no reason to wish I had. After 2 1/2 years there is nothing in the structural part of the build I would change. The shape of the body maybe, but I'll just build something different for my second rigid rig.

With that said, if you only read one or two saying to do it this way, you might wait awhile to see if it hold up to the rigors of use. There is a lot of info out there on other forums, but I believe most all of it can be found in the pages ADV hacks.

Hack build: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...rt+floor+build
cleatusj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:42 PM   #6
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 7,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDave View Post
As my suspension engineer said to me recently..

"I hope you really don't listen TOO much to people on forums, you really should take 90% of it as bullsh*t and 9% with a large grain of salt. The last 1% will hold some truth/facts to it."

Good advice I thought.
Well in that case I'm glad I'm not one of the guys giving info on here
Old 09-03-2013, 07:00 PM   #7
TouringDave
Tri Moto Veritas

Oddometer: 7,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Alexander View Post
Well in that case I'm glad I'm not one of the guys giving info on here

TouringDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:20 PM   #8
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 4,068
I believe that for the most part the "Hacks" section of the ADVrider forums is a pretty civil place. As with just about anything fabricated, there are a lot of different ways of skinning a cat. I personally have gained a great deal from what others have shared with me here and as such I think I've come pretty close to figuring out how I like my cat skinned. So yeah, I guess I'm more than a little willing to listen to all of those different points of view and then decided which bits will work for me. But I'll also try to ask questions in a civil manor with an open mind if I don't understand something. I know in other parts of the ADVrider site there are plenty of internet experts with little experience who are more than willing to piss on your leg and try to convince you its raining. However, I've also been very surprised at the level of knowledge AND experience that comes out of the woodwork at times.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:46 AM   #9
AceRph
Affluenza Free!

Oddometer: 24,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by claude View Post
Are we having fun yet?
It's been fun for me.

I've been a mod/admin for a long time now. Overall, this forum has been pretty civil and good natured. Discussions have, almost always, been reasonable. Maybe it's the way hack guys are.

Lots of info, lots of opinions, lots of interesting discussion, and those cool build threads. But taking opinions at face-value is the same as finding the "perfect" rig on craigslist or like your first hack, DB. Buyer beware.

I do investigations for a living. Often the info I get from a subject is like reading opinions here and elsewhere on ADVrider. Take in the information and confirm it by doing the research.

“We are turning into a nation of whimpering slaves to Fear—fear of war, fear of poverty, fear of random terrorism, fear of getting down-sized or fired because of the plunging economy, fear of getting evicted for bad debts or suddenly getting locked up in a military detention camp on vague charges of being a Terrorist sympathizer.” —”Extreme Behavior in Aspen,” February 3, 2003

"The State sees the spectre looming ahead of terrorism and anarchy, and this increases the risk of its over-reaction and a reduction in our freedom." - Stanley Kubrick
AceRph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:52 AM   #10
Agent Wayward
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Thumb

Great post. :)

"Hacks" for me, reflects the real world of sidecars.

Sidecars are individual machines, no 2 ever the same, each pilot is different, each solution valid for each outfit.

I sometimes find the attitude a tad inflexible on here, "you must not do this or that", "this is the only way" etc. That's nonsense.

Fit a sidecar brake or do not. It is your choice, not an absolute. Hence the demise of Richard NL who could not accept flexibility. Nice chap as it turns out in real life.

Fit a car tyre, or don't, fit a light weight chair to a heavy bike or vice versa, you might learn something. It won't kill you.

Do not accept the accepted norm. Challenge it and find your own solutions.

Sidecars are one of the last great bastions of proper home engineering.

Celebrate that.

On the other hand, do not hand out information as gospel if you only heard it from another and have no direct experience yourself. This applies to all of life, not just sidecars.

The US contingent are strong on here, and to my mind, their builds are slightly over the top, but that because I'm a Brit, we like simple solutions. I love a good bit of engineering as much as the next man, but if you remember the space race and the money Nasa poured into that biro that would work in zero gravity; the Russians took a pencil.

If you want electric camber control, rock on, I have a 19mm spanner in my toolkit. ;)

www.motopodd.com
Agent Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:17 AM   #11
AceRph
Affluenza Free!

Oddometer: 24,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Wayward View Post
If you want electric camber control, rock on, I have a 19mm spanner in my toolkit. ;)
How does help you on left handers, er, right handers?

“We are turning into a nation of whimpering slaves to Fear—fear of war, fear of poverty, fear of random terrorism, fear of getting down-sized or fired because of the plunging economy, fear of getting evicted for bad debts or suddenly getting locked up in a military detention camp on vague charges of being a Terrorist sympathizer.” —”Extreme Behavior in Aspen,” February 3, 2003

"The State sees the spectre looming ahead of terrorism and anarchy, and this increases the risk of its over-reaction and a reduction in our freedom." - Stanley Kubrick
AceRph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:11 AM   #12
Melrone
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 916
They say opions are like assholes everybody has one,and so do I..I first went on this sight for some help & to bitch about a company that builds s/c but don't do it very well..I've been scolded on the PM for my opions,I read alot of threads just to see what happens around the sidecar world...I've also met some inmates that I can call friends. I hope to meet more inmates as life goes on..I will contiue to watch this sight,read whats going onand voice my opion...Nice thread Dave...
Melrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:18 PM   #13
GreatWhiteNorth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,887
Great forum!

When I got serious about getting into sidecars a few years ago I found this forum to be tremendously helpful (and still do)... very low BS ratio here IMO. It helps having a few good sidecar installers and seasoned do-it-yourself veterans chiming in frequently with advice. Haven't seen too much in the way of false info posted... strong opinions, yes of course, but well intentioned.
Old 09-04-2013, 02:55 PM   #14
Bobmws
Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer: 1,204
I'm on, and have been on a number of Forums over the years. As my interests change direction I seek info from a number of sources. After a while I just get a feel for which ones are populated by serious contributors, and which are just folks who want to see their name in print and add to their post count.
This place pretty much rocks, with well informed contributors and people getting involved in the discussions to bring out good info and varied points of view. The thing about sidecars is each one is different, hopefully tailored to the owners needs. Just shows how many different ways we can achieve similar results.
We also seem to have a bit of fun around here too!
I like it and I'm staying around.
www.earplugco.com
Bobmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 03:03 PM   #15
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,287
Always been a great forum. Learned a gazillion things...! When we were partially stranded in AK with a sheared sidecar axle. I couldn't believe the support that was pouring in. Inmates ready to hit the machine lathes making a new axle and shipping it to to the nearest outpost in the Yukon.

Oh, sure there are often strong opinions, me included but well intentioned. What I just don't get involved in is bashing our sidecar builders....these are the only ones we have here in the US.... and bless them, what would we do without them??

Like Barry of DMC once said:

"Again, just my opinion, but I think we would all gain a lot more from discussing our ideas and comparing the pro's and con's of whatever subject we are talking about than criticizing each other for not doing things our way."

This is an absolute great Hack forum bar none!

cheers......
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote