Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2013, 09:16 PM   #31
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whale Rider View Post

I will start my own build thread

Well I think everyone would probably agree with me that you should start a build thread now.

I'll be looking for inspiration soon as I've got a customers hp2 in the workshop at the moment waiting for me to build into something similar to the one you linked to.
DRjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:38 AM   #32
Whale Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRjoe View Post
Well I think everyone would probably agree with me that you should start a build thread now.

I'll be looking for inspiration soon as I've got a customers hp2 in the workshop at the moment waiting for me to build into something similar to the one you linked to.
Well DRjoe no thread yet but thanks it has been a labour of love for the last couple of years so I will start a thread when I get near the end good things take time. As for looking for inspiration this comes from the man that takes a cut off saw to the rear of a 650 and fits up DRZ parts, I think you will be fine. But here is a couple of points. The HP2 Enduro was derived by BMW from the Dakar R900RR that I put the link up to. For me the HP2 was an option except for the price and the fact that you then need to upgrade the suspension for any serious off roading. Std shock for the rear, out with the air bag and then better forks for the front some have fitted KTM 950 forks. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
A bit of light reading and inspiration here
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=237705

I have an old 1100GS fitted with a 21" front wheel which I use for ADV riding it is amazing where you can take it but it is still very top heavy. My project is to move as much wait as possible down low and to the centre of the bike. I am not sure if you can see the other photos on my Flickr page? I have made a petrol tank down where the airbox used to go holds 16 ltrs and everything is centred in the frame.

My point on this post is that you don't have to have a cad programme or be an engineer to do this sort of stuff as pointed out by Roadracer_Al
but as with my frame I have copied all the critical points from the BMW bike I started with IE: foot peg location rear shock top mount steering head position just has a bit more rake and then joined them all together back around the engine and trans. I must say I have studied alot of frames/photographs to get what I finally drew up for my project.

I hope to have a test ride on it by Xmas and then strip paint reassemble etc etc all going well

WR

them a thread.
Whale Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:47 AM   #33
michael1968
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 669
Nice work mate, that's a great idea on the fuel tank.
michael1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:03 PM   #34
Eddieb
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 890
Quote:
I hope to have a test ride on it by Xmas and then strip paint reassemble etc etc all going well

WR

them a thread.
Hurry with that ;)

www.AdventureRidingNZ.co.nz Free GPS tracks for New Zealand & more
www.FlyingtheChair.co.nz - NZ sidecar forums
Eddieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:09 AM   #35
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

thanks for the reply, we should stop this hijack but i think we need to convince you to start a build thread.
The reason its called a build thread is because your building the bike if it was a thread to show off a finished bike it would be called a tada its finished thread.

Best you get too it.

Sorry to the OP for the hijack
Old 09-14-2013, 08:11 AM   #36
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,717
I'd like to see one as well

Had a 650 Dakar and a Super Enduro and both were good but both had negatives as well. The SE was top heavy and on the same road I could actually ride the Dakar faster.

The combination of the lighter Rotax engine in a good frame is very appealing.
Old 09-14-2013, 02:13 PM   #37
FloorPoor OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 710
I've been making some loose plans, and scraping up funds for some donor bikes.

I don't mind the hijack, I'm also pretty interested in what you're building WR

"There's nothing like that fresh tire feeling "
FloorPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 06:51 PM   #38
Whale Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

NO PRESSURE THEN

WR
Old 09-15-2013, 08:59 PM   #39
Plasticjesus
random roadburner

Oddometer: 32
sounds like a great plan - i would be checking with some fuel injection experts to see if you can run a modified fuel intake in from the side to get around the problems of the downdraft stock one being right in your frame and fuel tank space - may make it simpler and easier and get to keep more fuel capacity
Plasticjesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 01:16 AM   #40
Whale Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorPoor View Post
I've been making some loose plans, and scraping up funds for some donor bikes.

I don't mind the hijack, I'm also pretty interested in what you're building WR
Sorry about the hijack FloorPoor back to your project. Have you thought about the BMW 650 X Challenge as a donor bike. All you would need then would be forks and rear shock. Walter Colebatch on this forum swears by them and looks like there are aftermarket parts available ex Europe.
Light reading here

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=834987

WR
Old 09-16-2013, 01:24 AM   #41
Whale Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasticjesus View Post
sounds like a great plan - i would be checking with some fuel injection experts to see if you can run a modified fuel intake in from the side to get around the problems of the downdraft stock one being right in your frame and fuel tank space - may make it simpler and easier and get to keep more fuel capacity
Have you looked at the photos on the link on post 24?? The intake system is all sorted. I dont know if anyone has noticed that the throtle bodies have been swapped from left to right with the injectors now mounted so that they are still squirting straight towards the inlet port. I don't see there being any issues time will tell. as for fuel capacity 16 litres in the lower tank and another 6 litres in the YZ tank up top total 22 litres should be enough for most trips here in NZ.

WR
Old 09-16-2013, 03:12 AM   #42
Whale Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael1968 View Post
Nice work mate, that's a great idea on the fuel tank.
Thanks michael1968 just been laying some fibreglass (OLD'SCOOL) from the front of the tank to the steering head above the air filters finish's it of nicely. I will leave the carbon fibre to you guys.

Cheers WR
Old 09-16-2013, 04:45 AM   #43
Plasticjesus
random roadburner

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Have you looked at the photos on the link on post 24?? The intake system is all sorted. I dont know if anyone has noticed that the throtle bodies have been swapped from left to right with the injectors now mounted so that they are still squirting straight towards the inlet port. I don't see there being any issues time will tell. as for fuel capacity 16 litres in the lower tank and another 6 litres in the YZ tank up top total 22 litres should be enough for most trips here in NZ.

WR

i was referring to the OPs original 650 single efi engine into KTM spine frame idea -ie the title of the thread

just had a look at those photos they appear to be of one of those odd bikes with the cylinders hanging out the sides
Plasticjesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:25 AM   #44
michael1968
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 669
Quote:
Thanks michael1968 just been laying some fibreglass (OLD'SCOOL) from the front of the tank to the steering head above the air filters finish's it of nicely. I will leave the carbon fibre to you guys.

Cheers WR
It's just like fibreglass but more $$$....

Back on the engine swap, I'd think (but I'm biased) you'd be better off with the older rotax engine in the 640 frame. It'd be an easier fit, as well as the frame you've got to think about fitting the engine under that big tank. The earlier engine while not FI does have a stronger bottom end (forged piston vs cast etc), the dakar winning F650's were actually the earlier engine in a highly modified later frame.
michael1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 01:04 PM   #45
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Are the earliey motors downdraft as well?