Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2005, 08:16 PM   #91
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photog
No, good questions, actually.
I assume you didn't take all those pics just to respond to me, huh?

Super response, by the way.

We needs us a scooter forum. My wife is bugging me like you wouldn't believe. "Why don't you go look at them by yourself?" I ask her.

"Nah. I want YOU to do the research for me. I'll just select it on looks and ride."
Old 09-18-2005, 08:27 PM   #92
Photog OP
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,246
I'm pretty new to this, so take it all with a BIG grain of salt. Pretty steep learning curve--I bought a kitted bike that the owner couldn't get to run. I guess you know how that goes when you borrow the money from the spouse and then feel REALLY obligated to get it running asap.

So I had to learn pretty fast. Stellaspeed was a great forum--they gave me the jetting basics (theory) as did some folks here.

But that's the thing about the classic scooters (metal bodied, transmissions)--they are meant to be tinkered with.

You can pull the head and do quite a bit of work with the little 4-piece crappy toolkit they give you. Simple little powerplant...elegant, durable. Something I admire. And a 2T motor will run despite anything you do to it as long as it has fuel, oil, air, and spark...as long as you don't lean it out too much.

It's nice to have a bike that you can work on...and hotrod...cheaply. But these aren't as easy to live with as the new ones. Sorta like buying a Ural or Royal Enfield--they are great bikes, you just have to put a bit more sweat equity in them to get the most out of them, but if that's your cup of tea, it's a great way to ride. Makes me feel good to know that the little extra bit of speed i'm getting is due to some elbow grease and a bit of brain power.

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 08:34 PM   #93
Photog OP
Charismatic Megafauna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller
Good info Photog.

I'm happy to say my Stella has been back on the road since last Tuesday, but I haven't ridden it much because I had some autolube leakage. That's what I get for re-using gaskets. I tried 3 times to get the correct gaskets from my local shop, but they kept sending me the wrong ones. Finally this morning I bought a roll of gasket paper and a razor knife, and made the new gaskets myself.

I have just about 200 miles on it since I ported and installed Pinasco kit & carb #2. It seems to run great.

So, my stats are as follows:
2005 Stella
24/24E carb
Using the mixer and air corrector that came in the carb
118 main
Idle mix screw 1.75 turns out from lightly seated
Pinasco 177 kit ported & matched transfer ports, polished combustion chamber
Sito exhaust
Stock plug
Timing verified at 19 degrees with a degree wheel & timing light
2% premix in addition to autolube (will go down to 1% after break-in)

I'm exposing it to some WFO during break-in, but only for short bursts. It saw 69 mph today briefly. Most of the time I cruise it at about 55, which requires almost no throttle. When it was stock 55 took almost all of the throttle.

I'm really hoping this one stays together, but since the last one got melted due to being sold the wrong carburetor I don't see why this one would blow up. So far so good.

Excellent report! I need to get a timing light on mine--I'm trusting the PO when he said he had the timing set slightly retarded from stock. Glad you got yours on the road again. That carb issue was way weird.

I'm about 3 1/4 turns out...I'll need to amend my post to include that. Might revisit that again tomorrow. I tend to start projects late in the afternoon when it's cool and end up with a headlamp in the dark.

I looked at the combustion chamber today--sorta rough looking. Do you have any pics of what you did to yours?

How's the seat treating you? I've given up on my stocker and gonna built one myself with a GS seatframe I got from SCOMO.

Like I like. Yep.
Old 09-18-2005, 08:34 PM   #94
BUBB
lynch not Zimmerman

Oddometer: 20,676
Quote:
www.scooterworks.com <--- go there and sign up for the free catalog.

SERIOUS prOn.
Wow - these guys have whole motors for sale for $1099!

I mean the ~whole~ motor!
BUBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 08:36 PM   #95
BUBB
lynch not Zimmerman

Oddometer: 20,676
Photog, what kind of oil are you using for the oil injection? Do you think I would have a problem using Yammy oil in my PX150?
BUBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 09:00 PM   #96
Photog OP
Charismatic Megafauna

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUBB
Photog, what kind of oil are you using for the oil injection? Do you think I would have a problem using Yammy oil in my PX150?
When I got my Stella, the previous owner threw in a LOT of oil he had. I've been working my way through Motul and Amsoil Dominator but only because it was thrown in the deal. I'll switch to Castrol TTS synthetic and stick with that once I've finished off that stash--the Castrol is available locally, worked great in my little 50cc bike, didn't smoke much, and the bottle was well-designed (built-in spout). And it was a pretty shade of blue.

Just look for a statement on the label that says whether it's for premix or autolube. Just like with 4T engines, it's a good idea to go with dino oil for break-in then switch to synthetic...though some tuners are using synthetic on some kits from the get-go. Shouldn't be any problem with the yammy oil if it's for autolube (injection).

Also, as Bueller noted, it's good to throw a bit of premix into the fuel in addition to the auto lube. It might change the jetting somewhat depending on the setup but it's good insurance. Keep an eye on your reservoir to make sure it's sucking down the oil.

Like I like. Yep.
Old 09-19-2005, 06:42 AM   #97
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,089
Quote:
Excellent report! I need to get a timing light on mine--I'm trusting the PO when he said he had the timing set slightly retarded from stock. Glad you got yours on the road again. That carb issue was way weird.

I'm about 3 1/4 turns out...I'll need to amend my post to include that. Might revisit that again tomorrow. I tend to start projects late in the afternoon when it's cool and end up with a headlamp in the dark.

I looked at the combustion chamber today--sorta rough looking. Do you have any pics of what you did to yours?

How's the seat treating you? I've given up on my stocker and gonna built one myself with a GS seatframe I got from SCOMO.
A timing light won't do you any good unless you first use a degree wheel to find TDC on the flywheel. Then you can remove the flywheel and use the same degree wheel to mark off timing increments on the flywheel. I can provide more details if you'd like.

There are timing marks on the stator plate, but they are not numbered. You will not be able to see them unless you remove the flywheel.

Pics as requested:

Be careful about removing material from the cylinder head. Keep in mind that every bit of material you remove is actually increasing combustion chamber volume but is also lowering compression. The trick is to remove just enough material to make it mirror-like. I used a medium grit cylindrical sanding disc on a die grinder to smooth out the aggregate-like surface, then used a dremel with polishing bits & compound to get the final results.

Did the previous owner of your scoot match the ports or polish the exhaust port?

Yes, the stock seat sucks. Not quite sure what I'm going to do about that yet, but the sprung Piaggio seat looks promising.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 06:46 AM   #98
VespaFitz
No-good-son-of-a-bitch

Oddometer: 41,051
Quote:
It's stable at speed, but you have to REALLY tone down your steering inputs. The other night I decided to try a high-speed swerve and w/o thinking shoved the bar one direction (classic swerve/recovery type maneuver) and I damn near tucked the front end under the floorboard.
There's a reason why a lot of scooterists run around with casts on their wrists.

AKA "Ham Steak" - Bumfucked Hillbillies MC
VespaFitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 06:47 AM   #99
VespaFitz
No-good-son-of-a-bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller
Yes, the stock seat sucks. Not quite sure what I'm going to do about that yet, but the sprung Piaggio seat looks promising.
You guys crack me up with your sensitive bums.

Old 09-19-2005, 06:49 AM   #100
VespaFitz
No-good-son-of-a-bitch

Quote:
When I got my Stella, the previous owner threw in a LOT of oil he had. I've been working my way through Motul and Amsoil Dominator but only because it was thrown in the deal. I'll switch to Castrol TTS synthetic and stick with that once I've finished off that stash--the Castrol is available locally, worked great in my little 50cc bike, didn't smoke much, and the bottle was well-designed (built-in spout). And it was a pretty shade of blue.

Just look for a statement on the label that says whether it's for premix or autolube. Just like with 4T engines, it's a good idea to go with dino oil for break-in then switch to synthetic...though some tuners are using synthetic on some kits from the get-go. Shouldn't be any problem with the yammy oil if it's for autolube (injection).

Also, as Bueller noted, it's good to throw a bit of premix into the fuel in addition to the auto lube. It might change the jetting somewhat depending on the setup but it's good insurance. Keep an eye on your reservoir to make sure it's sucking down the oil.
You guys are SO funny.

PS: If you buy the red oil, your oil injection sight glass looks like a dog's crank.

PPS: Buy the strawberry flavored oil. I hear that's the shit.

Old 09-19-2005, 06:55 AM   #101
Photog OP
Charismatic Megafauna

I'll have to dig up the research I did on his mods--he posted the work he did on SS including pics. I would've remembered the polishing so my bet is he didn't...port work might've been done IIRC...he had two kits side by side in some pics he took so I'll dig those up and the posts and see what he did. I think he degreed the stator since he was fumbling around with the timing--I want it to be about 19 deg; he may have set it back as far as 18 deg and at this point it's relative based on his methods...so I'll start from scratch and recheck.

Long term, I'm thinking about acquiring a 200 engine and using what I've learned on the 177 kit--definately doing the porting and polishing. Last night when I rode it, there was night and day difference just based on 2 points up on the jetting. For being low-tech engines they are remarkably responsive to little changes.

I'll post some pics of the GS seat. Springs run longitudinally, plus there are a couple large coil springs at the midsection. No locking mechanism. It's got plenty of storage room in there--you could easily stash oil and tools in there and free up the glovebox. Gonna go find some ortho foam at the local medical supply store today and start making an arsepad for myself. Maybe get really jiggy and include some gel stuff. Or maybe just stuff newspaper in there...I don't know yet.

Like I like. Yep.
Old 09-19-2005, 06:57 AM   #102
Photog OP
Charismatic Megafauna

Quote:
Originally Posted by VespaFitz
You guys are SO funny.

PS: If you buy the red oil, your oil injection sight glass looks like a dog's crank.

PPS: Buy the strawberry flavored oil. I hear that's the shit.
Don't you need to be BANNING someone, somewhere, wheelbarrow-wheel boy?

Like I like. Yep.
Old 09-19-2005, 07:02 AM   #103
Photog OP
Charismatic Megafauna

Best. Patch. EVER.

Like I like. Yep.
Old 09-19-2005, 07:04 AM   #104
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer: 22,500
Quote:
Get thee to a Stella dealership and all will become clear. For now we see through a catalog darkly; then, face to face.

Everyone needs one of these in their kitchen.

On a 2nd floor walkup? Please no?

I can keep it right next to the honder though...
Old 09-19-2005, 08:01 AM   #105
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,089
Quote:
Best. Patch. EVER.

I have to disagree. I went to the Scoot-a-que (The local scooter club's annual rally in Columbus Ohio) Saturday night, and one dude drove a bmw 600 (a larger version of the original Isetta). It had a bumper sticker on it that said "your scooter sucks".

Struck me kinda funny.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote