Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2013, 08:26 AM   #1
ramjet OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,118
Categorizing Tracks on 60csx

Is it possible to store 5 different groups of tracks so they are not all part of one long confusing list of tracks? For example, favored rides in 5 different states that you want to access clearly and quickly.

Hope I'm conveying this conundrum correctly....

Qui Desiderant Pacem Preparate Bellum

(Are you understanding now!?)
ramjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:40 AM   #2
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,358
Long time 60 user, never seen or herd it done. I was once shown how the POI folder can be sub divided but nothing about track storage. The 60 only holds 20 saved tracks so the list is never very long.

I know you have limited letters for the name but in your example starting the name with the state abbreviation would at least group them by state.

I have never been one to store all my data on the unit preferring to download/upload the data from a laptop as needed.

Bruce
mcnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:47 AM   #3
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,550
You can make 5 maps, each with the set of tracks you want grouped together. Then just turn each map on or off as needed. Then again, if you put ALL your tracks into a single map, you can leave them all "on" all the time. To turn your tracks into a Garmin map, use this:
http://www.gpx2img.com/
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:32 PM   #4
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,892
You could also use different colors. That's what I do to distinguish different classes of tracks.

But I think you will quickly run up against the 20 track limit unless you do the track map image conversion trick.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 03:12 PM   #5
ramjet OP
Beastly Adventurer

So even as Hogwild stated, creating 5 maps, it would still be limited to 20 tracks total on the unit?

Old 09-04-2013, 03:28 PM   #6
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramjet View Post
So even as Hogwild stated, creating 5 maps, it would still be limited to 20 tracks total on the unit?
No, that's the beauty of converting the tracks and waypoints into a map IMG. You can have an almost unlimited number of tracks and waypoints in a map IMG file. In one case I have hundreds of tracks and thousands of waypoints, all in that one map IMG file in my GPS. No limit of 20 tracks!!! The other thing is that most Garmin units have a limit of 500 points per track. Normally that's enough to get what you want, but on occasion it's not enough. With the map IMG approach, you can have almost unlimited number of points in a track. A map IMG is the same as a Garmin map you buy from Garmin, it’s just YOUR data in that map, not theirs. Think about how many roads there are in a typical Garmin map (maybe tens of thousands). You could fit that number of your own tracks in a map IMG file.
Old 09-04-2013, 03:39 PM   #7
ramjet OP
Beastly Adventurer

Now that is damn cool!

Old 09-04-2013, 04:19 PM   #8
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,231
Quote:
The track limit, 20, stays the same but by creating maps with gpx2img you don't use any of those 20 tracks.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:22 PM   #9
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,204
Quote:
Is it possible to store 5 different groups of tracks so they are not all part of one long confusing list of tracks? For example, favored rides in 5 different states that you want to access clearly and quickly.
Yes simple. Just name the tracks so they are in groups.

However why would you keep tracks from five different states in your 60? Just download the tracks you are going to follow each time you ride. Each track can be 100 miles long with acceptable resolution, so it will hold 2,000 miles.

However if you just have a bunch (> 20) of tracks in one area make the overlay map.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:19 PM   #10
ramjet OP
Beastly Adventurer

The problem I see with GPX2IMG is I do not see a map with the image of the tracks. Is there a way to see the tracks overlayed with a City Nav?

Old 09-06-2013, 03:15 AM   #11
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,775
Quote:
The problem I see with GPX2IMG is I do not see a map with the image of the tracks. Is there a way to see the tracks overlayed with a City Nav?
I still don't understand what you are really trying to accomplish?

Will you be navigating the tracks? Or just viewing them on the screen?

If you are just viewing them, setting different colors allows you to differentiate them, and when you get close to one, you will know it. You can always set a waypoint at the beginning of each track and name them so they group for you.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:13 AM   #12
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,231
Have you selected the GPX2IMG to show (in the list of maps)?
Old 09-06-2013, 07:37 AM   #13
BKMLWR
Wondering around...

Oddometer: 4,436
Quote:
the image will not show overlaid in mapsource/BC it will only be seen when loaded on the gps with the other maps
LifeSong
BKMLWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:16 AM   #14
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKMLWR View Post
the image will not show overlaid in mapsource/BC it will only be seen when loaded on the gps with the other maps
When I use gpx2img, it loads my custom map into Mapsource. When I run Mapsource after the map is created, I have to select that custom map in the Mapsource map select pulldown, which is right below the main menus. When my custom map is selected, it shows up as a big light yellow box that appears empty. To see all my tracks and waypoints in the map in Mapsource, I have to zoom in, then they suddenly appear. I think a zoom might also be required in the GPS as well.

Also, just like transfering other maps from Mapsource to the GPS, you have to use the Mapsource "Map Tool" to select the sections of the map you want transfered to the GPS. In the case of your custom map, it's all in one section (tile). But you have to select that section to get it to transfer to the GPS. If you want other maps in the GPS as well as your custom map, you have to select the other map sections as well. Selecting map sections and transfering them to your GPS is a whole other topic. Just remember, anytime you transfer a map into your GPS, all other maps that were in there, exept the useless base map, will be erased from the GPS. So, everytime you load any map into your GPS, you have to reload ALL the maps at that same time.

I don't use Basecamp, so I don't know how that might work.

HogWild screwed with this post 09-06-2013 at 08:23 AM
Old 09-06-2013, 01:53 PM   #15
ramjet OP
Beastly Adventurer

HogWild-Check. Got that down A-OK. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKMLWR View Post
Yes, found that out now that I loaded the maps on the GPS and everything shows up OK in colors and everything.

1. In the sidebar however (of Mapsource), with the GPX2IMG selected via View>Switch to Product the tracks and waypoints do not show up as in gpx files. Is this a normal feature?

2. With the GPX2Image on the GPS is it possible to navigate the tracks rather than just viewing them?