Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2013, 04:56 AM   #16
Dave in Wi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by crawdad View Post
So either remove and replace entire gable piece or do like Kirkster says and just cut out the bad part and use z flashing on both horizontal joints. Thoroughly paint the bottom edge of the t-111, skip the trim piece it just traps water
I agree. I'd remove & replace the whole peaked gable end to avoid another joint but that's just me. If you want the trim, you could replace it and caulk the top edge only, leaving the bottom open for drainage. I'd bevel the top edge of the trim to help shed water. It looks to me like the old trim trapped water thus the rot.
1988 DT50
"Daddy, it's five o'clock sometime!"
Dave in Wi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:04 PM   #17
zaphoid OP
At the Space Bar.

Oddometer: 122
T1-11 is the worst crap ever invented. Take ply wood, and make it weaker by cutting lines in it. Bonus, this will make it difficult to paint, and allow water intrusion. Ha.

Replaced the peaked gabled end siding. God this stuff sucks even when new. Got one coat of paint on it. Weather for Saturday looks iffy.
zaphoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:50 AM   #18
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,666
Hope you primed it first.
troidus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:03 AM   #19
RYANINMICHIGAN
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 588
How old is the shed? Does that side face west, north west? I would prolly just pull the whole gable end and resurface. It will be easier cost no more and be a better fix in the end. How to stop it? Don't trim it across that seem again just fit the new sheet up caulk with silicon cleanly and repaint. All that trim did was give water a chance to slow down and sit there.
RYANINMICHIGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:57 AM   #20
Laconic
Añejo

Oddometer: 16,238
Vertical board and batt right over what's there with cedar, covering the lower course of T1-11 by a couple inches. Solid color stain on the cedar.
Laconic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:55 AM   #21
zaphoid OP
At the Space Bar.

Oddometer: 122
I pulled the sheeting off. This is the pile of nails I collected. The nails through the sheeting were three inches long. Went clear through the 2x4 they went into. Little bit of overkill.

Broke a 15” flat bar trying to rip them out. Had to make a flyer to the store just for that.
Here is the repaired shed.

Some of the 1x3 and the 1x6 trim at the top has been replaced by a trim called Azek. This is a white PCV material, so no more painting, but it is pricy.

The shed is quite old. I think. I moved in in 2005. It was here when I got here. I have painted it a few times, but not sure if I did every year.
A zero maintenance exterior is a good idea. Let’s say I spend $20 a year and a half day on maintenance. But it’s a nice half day. Plenty of weather sucks, to waste a nice half day on this is tragedy. Every once in a while the shed will need more help, like this little repair.

Hardy board, vinyl siding or cedar shingles (Laconic, that would look classy). Something, anything would be better than this.
zaphoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:33 PM   #22
gsweave
Yinz, blinkers are on.

Oddometer: 11,230
All looks good.

Should give you years of maint. free service....

I like Azek used it on my home trim....
Old 09-14-2013, 08:42 AM   #23
Jack90210
mindful

Oddometer: 15,105
I would have guessed that you had termites.

I don't think that the problem is lack of overhang; rather I think the problem is that the bottom of the wall is at grade. It's likely that water is being wicked up into the wood from the bottom and causing the rot.

Don't caulk with silicone; you'll never be able to paint over it.

I must say that my son has exposed a reservoir of love and of worry within me that I never knew existed. --nskitts, 9/2/12
Jack90210 is offline   Reply With Quote