Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-04-2013, 09:45 PM   #1
MrBob OP
Geezers Rule

Oddometer: 7,515
Cracked iPad screen

I bought a new iPad 2 last week. Three days later I dropped it and broke the screen. Looking online, I see that I'm not the only one to do so. There's a vast industry offering to make the repair or sell you the parts to do it yourself.
I make my living with my hands and I'm up for attempting to make the repair myself with help from Youtube.
Who has ordered a replacement screen that was of good quality and decently priced? There seem to be hundreds of screen vendors and prices vary by as much as a hundred dollars.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:34 PM   #2
soyanarchisto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,314
Can't answer your questions specifically, but I broke the screen on my iPhone and paid some kid on craigslist 100 to replace it. After watching him, I realized I could have done it myself for half.

Go for it.
soyanarchisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:59 AM   #3
Jonnylotto
All out of care

Oddometer: 15,284
If you can't deal with delicate parts and sharp plastic tools, don't do it.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:29 AM   #4
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,294
Directfix is the source I went to the last time I had to repair a touch sensitive screen.

http://www.directfix.com/category/iPad-2-Parts.html

A good resource.
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:55 AM   #5
bfd70
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 735
I broke 2 in six months. Repair shops around here replace for $85 in 1 hour. Invested in a life case.
bfd70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:56 AM   #6
MrBob OP
Geezers Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfd70 View Post
I broke 2 in six months. Repair shops around here replace for $85 in 1 hour. Invested in a life case.
Man, that sounds frustrating. Ironically, I had my new case in one hand and the Pad in another and was minutes away from bringing them together.
Earlier, I put the empty iPad box on top of my Jeep and headed down the road. I noticed it fly off and pulled over. Before I could get to it, about 5 cars ran it over. So much for the original packaging.
I think this iPad may be haunted.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:59 AM   #7
Sludge
Waiting for the snow

Oddometer: 231
ifixit.com

Here is where I got my stuff, also very detailed instructions.

http://www.ifixit.com/Device/iPad

Sludge

sludge81.smugmug.com

VMRG member :http://vailmountainrescue.org/
Sludge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:21 AM   #8
crampfan
not really a nOOb

Oddometer: 2,237
I replaced the screen on my sons ipod. The job was very frustrating, and took most of a sunday afternoon ...but I did it, and impressed my 11 year old, so all in all it was worth not paying some kid to do it.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:54 AM   #9
GuyRocket
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
I nearly replaced the cracked screen on my 2 year old Ipad 2 (3G, 64Gb). All told it was going to cost me $150 in parts and shipping. The apple store replaced the entire device with a refurb (looked brand new to me) unit for $250. I believe this is their standard policy. This had the added benefit of replacing my aging battery. I would do the same thing again.
GuyRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:26 PM   #10
dorkpunch
Oops...

Oddometer: 5,069
My son dropped my wifes and shattered it... The screen protector is still holding it together and it works for now. I will be attempting to replace it here pretty soon as well. Seems like you can get the repair kit on ebay for about $35.

"I've been going to this high school for SEVEN YEARS. I'm no dummy!"
-Charles De Mar.
dorkpunch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:37 PM   #11
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 2,975
I've replaced a few different phone screens and glass. Youtube videos make it pretty easy, but I've learned to watch carefully for little rubber parts that make things like power buttons and proximity sensors work. My last go round, I swapped out my phone screen in about 5 minutes, had the phone buttoned back up, then found a little rubber part, and spent the next hour trying to figure out where it went. I found it eventually.

I've had no luck discerning any difference between different screen vendors/products, so I usually buy something cheap on ebay. I find it hard to believe that the screen for one particular device is actually made in enough different factories that you could find them at every price point. And I know the OEMs don't pay much for them. . .

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:44 PM   #12
djb_rh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 488
Before you fix one, have some fun with it! Here's a video of a prank we pulled using a borrowed iPad that was left on a car roof and later run over.

http://youtu.be/oedp1s7kRZw

--Donnie
Old 09-05-2013, 08:02 PM   #13
MrBob OP
Geezers Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkpunch View Post
My son dropped my wifes and shattered it... The screen protector is still holding it together and it works for now. I will be attempting to replace it here pretty soon as well. Seems like you can get the repair kit on ebay for about $35.
I sent an email to an eBay screen vendor asking about the disparity in prices. They answered with a recommendation to buy their less expensive screens.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:27 PM   #14
B.E. Coyote
(Super-Genius)

Oddometer: 5,268
I've done about 10. I manage about 600 iPads for our school district. I have purchased the digitizers from Amazon.

Harbor Freight sells a kit of tools that looks like dental tools. Those and a metal putty knife, and a decent heat gun make it pretty easy.

If you order the digitizer make sure it comes with or you order separetly the adhesive kit.

It is one of those jobs that is very easy but can go badly in a second. If you cut the power flex cable or the wifi antenna you will be pissed.
B.E. Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:34 AM   #15
MrBob OP
Geezers Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.E. Coyote View Post
I've done about 10. I manage about 600 iPads for our school district. I have purchased the digitizers from Amazon.

Harbor Freight sells a kit of tools that looks like dental tools. Those and a metal putty knife, and a decent heat gun make it pretty easy.

If you order the digitizer make sure it comes with or you order separetly the adhesive kit.

It is one of those jobs that is very easy but can go badly in a second. If you cut the power flex cable or the wifi antenna you will be pissed.
Where do you get your screens?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: