http://www.amazon.com/iPad-2-Glass-D.../dp/B0055U94G6

don't forget the adhesive
B.E. Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:54 PM   #17
dorkpunch
Oops...

Oddometer: 4,963
Just ordered this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Seems to have everything- adhesive, crappy plastic tools, and glass. Guess we'll see!

"I've been going to this high school for SEVEN YEARS. I'm no dummy!"
-Charles De Mar.
dorkpunch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:49 PM   #18
MrBob OP
Jambo!

Oddometer: 7,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkpunch View Post
Just ordered this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Seems to have everything- adhesive, crappy plastic tools, and glass. Guess we'll see!
I ordered a screen from eBay. The bezel is red and camera lens, home button, and adhesive are already installed.
I need some kind of crappy plastic tools and to get my nerve up before tearing into the fix.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:48 PM   #19
B.E. Coyote
(Super-Genius)

Oddometer: 5,193
skip the cheesy plastic tools unless you just use them to hold the screen up.

Buy the HF dental kit.
B.E. Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 04:54 PM   #20
PoundSand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBob View Post
I bought a new iPad 2 last week. Three days later I dropped it and broke the screen. Looking online, I see that I'm not the only one to do so. There's a vast industry offering to make the repair or sell you the parts to do it yourself.
I make my living with my hands and I'm up for attempting to make the repair myself with help from Youtube.
Who has ordered a replacement screen that was of good quality and decently priced? There seem to be hundreds of screen vendors and prices vary by as much as a hundred dollars.
how did you pay for your ipad? some credit cards will replace it for you...
PoundSand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:57 PM   #21
MrBob OP
Jambo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.E. Coyote View Post

Buy the HF dental kit.
Good idea, I'll check it out.
Paid with Paypal. Wish I had used CC but not given the choice.
I brought the iPad to Apple and asked for a free replacement - what the hell, nothing to lose. For 250.00 they'd fix mine or give me a refurbished unit.
I figured that if I can rebuild carbs and build houses I should be able to replace the screen for under 50.00.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:40 PM   #22
hpsVFR
Hoosier Daddy

Oddometer: 1,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.E. Coyote View Post
skip the cheesy plastic tools unless you just use them to hold the screen up.

Buy the HF dental kit.
fwiw, some thoughts from a guy who used to do these daily.

The HF kit to use, IMO, is this one. The tool you'll use most is the bottom-half of the second from the left. Be careful, metal tools will tear up the plastic bezel around your glass panel, and can cut antennas and ribbon connectors instantly.

The 'cheesy plastic tools' are very, very useful if you're trying to save the glass (which we sometimes were doing). Otherwise, a handful of old credit cards, or guitar picks, are adequate for keeping the old glass from re-sticking itself to the frame as you pry it off.

Speaking of the adhesive, USE THE HEAT GUN! But don't melt the plastic bezel unless your new glass panel comes with one. The adhesive softens quite a bit with heat, and hardens up very quickly as it cools. Remove all adhesive residue before you try to replace the glass.

DON'T CUT THE WI-FI ANTENNA, nor the 3G antenna, if it's got one. These antennas are foil sheets, glued to a bit of foam, glued to the glass. A decent online repair/picture guide should show you where they are. No, you can't glue/solder/weld it back together.

IIRC, on that model the LCD ribbon connector was on the LH side, somewhat below the half-way mark. The WI-FI antenna is on the bottom edge, just to the RH of center, and the 3G antennas are on the top edge. Double-check this before trusting my memory.

hpsVFR screwed with this post 09-20-2013 at 09:42 PM Reason: Clarified language, removed duplicate statements.
hpsVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 12:46 AM   #23
MrBob OP
Jambo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpsVFR View Post
fwiw, some thoughts from a guy who used to do these daily.

The HF kit to use, IMO, is this one. The tool you'll use most is the bottom-half of the second from the left. Be careful, metal tools will tear up the plastic bezel around your glass panel, and can cut antennas and ribbon connectors instantly.

The 'cheesy plastic tools' are very, very useful if you're trying to save the glass (which we sometimes were doing). Otherwise, a handful of old credit cards, or guitar picks, are adequate for keeping the old glass from re-sticking itself to the frame as you pry it off.
Q
IIRC, on that model the LCD ribbon connector was on the LH side, somewhat below the half-way mark. The WI-FI antenna is on the bottom edge, just to the RH of center, and the 3G antennas are on the top edge. Double-check this before trusting my memory.
I have a heat gun. The iPad doesn't have 3G. According to the Youtube videos I watched, the antenna is on the lower RH side.
I don't need to preserve any of the existing screen and I have a replacement bezel. If there's a way to pry up the glass without using the HF tool I could save myself a 50 mile round trip.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:12 AM   #24
hpsVFR
Hoosier Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBob View Post
I have a heat gun. The iPad doesn't have 3G. According to the Youtube videos I watched, the antenna is on the lower RH side.
I don't need to preserve any of the existing screen and I have a replacement bezel. If there's a way to pry up the glass without using the HF tool I could save myself a 50 mile round trip.
With a heat gun, basically anything reasonably stiff and flat will work. Narrower is better. You need something smooth, reasonably stiff, reasonably flexible, fairly thin, and not too wide. Getting creative is fine, as these are not precision tools, nor precision operations.

So, you could use a 1" putty knife. If you don't mind cutting one up, cut it down to 1/2" or perhaps even 1/4" (and save the other 3/4" portion for a second spatula).

If you have a metal kitchen spatula with slots in it, the metal area between the slots is probably just about perfect in width. Again, this would require destroying the spatula, and some spatulae are too thick for this to work.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:35 AM   #25
Jonnylotto
Kumbaya my ass

Oddometer: 14,890
This is the kit I've been using, from ifixit. Pro Tool Kit

It duplicated some of the stuff I already had but having everything in one small tool roll for my tech bag was worth it, to me.
Old 09-21-2013, 02:55 PM   #26
MrBob OP
Jambo!

Well, the deed is done. It wasn't a very enjoyable task but everything is working as it should and its nice to use an intact screen as well as save a bunch of money.
I used the HF dental tools previously recommended and my heat gun, as well as my teensy phillips screwdriver.
Reviewing several Youtube videos on the screen replacement made a huge difference. Only one of them mentioned positioning the screen bus cable so it tucks out of the way, but this shouldn't be overlooked.
The replacement screen that I bought on eBay for less than 50.00 bucks came with the adhesive, home button, and camera bracket pre-installed. It came from LCDcycle in Huntsville, AL - highly recommended.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/271238474509...84.m1423.l2649
Thanks to everyone who replied.

MrBob screwed with this post 09-21-2013 at 08:19 PM
MrBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 06:04 PM   #27
hpsVFR
Hoosier Daddy

Congratulations! Glad to hear it turned out well.
Old 09-21-2013, 06:31 PM   #28
biggziff
Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer: 7,650
I fix a lot of these and iPhones...I buy the super cheap digitizers on ebay and have had no issues.

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
biggziff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 07:24 PM   #29
broncobowsher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,234
I was just in 2 different malls. Both had places (Kiosk and store fronts) that would fix it while you shopped.
broncobowsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 07:35 PM   #30
MrBob OP
Jambo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncobowsher View Post
I was just in 2 different malls. Both had places (Kiosk and store fronts) that would fix it while you shopped.
Once a guy got efficient with heating the glue the process could really speed up. Do they use heat guns at the kiosks?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: