User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-06-2013, 08:40 AM   #16
UngaWunga
Mosquito bait

Oddometer: 6,848
I toyed with the idea of getting a sport pilot license, but the next step up to private pilot was small (and I can pass the medical no problem) so I'm starting training next week.

I am very interested in the experimental class of aircraft, though. The idea of saving a lot of money by doing basic maintenance myself is a big draw.

From what I've read, that in order to make a modification to a non-experimental aircraft you need to buy the rights to the STC, then pay someone with the right training to do the work... seems a little excessive to me. I can completely see getting trained professionals to do more complicated things, but basic maintenance?
Old 09-06-2013, 11:13 AM   #17
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboveangkor View Post
If you were never denied a medical you can get a Sport Pilot license if you have a drivers license.
Most people are better off going up with an instructor.A lot less headache.And you can still log the time.Try new types and see new places.Did it for years.Always learned something new.
Nope never denied, just never got the BFR and new medical....just not current.

One of the pills I have to take is suppose to make you all depressed...guess they don't want that while you fly.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:13 PM   #18
jeepinbanditrider OP
Dunkin Donuts Crasher

Oddometer: 1,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboveangkor View Post
Been flying thirty years and thousands of hours.Most of it in trikes but I started in C150s.
The Hurricane has a good record.Never heard anything bad about them.Looks like your running a 503 B box with DCDI.
Correct on both counts :). I was kind of iffy about the 2 smoker. But it's extremely smooth and powerful. You just have to change the way you fly it compared to a 4 stroke as far as unloading it and operating at smaller throttle openings with the prop windmilling. Takes some getting used to.

It is a bit of a fuel hog too but I expected that with the 2 stroke motor.

Do you have any operating tips on the 503? I've been trying my best to follow the recommended operations I've been reading. Not letting the prop windmill too much and keeping the throttle open to keep lubrication flowing.

Sent from my iPhone
jeepinbanditrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 01:23 AM   #19
aboveangkor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Some people would tell you that the 503 is the best motor Rotax makes.Lot of them out there with over one thousand hours and never been opened up.The 503 is a piston port air cooled so you don't have the cross shaft seal problems of the 582.And some of those problems on the 582 were caused by the wrong antifreeze.NEVER use the green.Always the red extended life with no silica.
People will tell you to pull the head and decarbon the top of the piston at 300 hours.I have mixed feelings.You may screw up something when there's nothing wrong.Same with Seafoam.That can't be good for the crank seals.People pull the exhaust and look for stuck rings by poking them with a small flat blade screwdriver.All these things are better left to someone who has done it before.Watch and learn.
If I had only had one gauge it would be EGT.You want to see about 1100.Much lower and the rings stick and it melts a hole in the piston around 1300.The Rotax manual is a little on the rich side for jetting.But better safe than sorry.The needle jet is a pain untill you learn how to screw the spring back on.Most people raise {richen } it one notch in the winter and drop it in the spring.Get a couple of cork float bowl gaskets and a K&N filter cleaning kit.DON"T over oil the filter.Keep an eye on the carb sockets.Change the fuel pump,filter,and lines every spring.Rebuilding the pump is not worth the money you save.
Safety wire the exhaust springs and run a bead of silicone down them.They break all the time.Keep some spares.Use high temp lube on the ball sockets on the 90 elbow so it don't gall.
You will see the front cylinder run a little hotter cause it gets all the air first.DO NOT try to run different jets.Keep all jets the same in both carbs.
A few words on oil.Yea right! Iám not dumb enough to go there.Just try to stay away from ethanol.Get the big MR Funnel if you can still find one.Could save your ass one day.
Change your plugs ever 50 hours.Reminder,the gap is half of anything your used to..018.Very important.Only NGK solid tops.In a few hours the screw tops will mess up the threads and become loose.B8ES or BR8ES if you use a radio.And I think everyone should.The best handheld is the the old Icon A22 or A3.Fleabay or Barnstormers for a radio and headset.
Two EGT and two CHT.And one Tinytach that also keeps the hours.That covers the motor.An ASI and altimeter is also a good idea.You should see about 6200 RPM static { tied down } on the ground and 6500 RPM on take off full throttle.If you can keep it under 4800 RPM on cruse it will be on the needle jet and use a lot less gas.I dump the gas after one month.
That should get you started.
aboveangkor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:21 AM   #20
jeepinbanditrider OP
Dunkin Donuts Crasher

Excellent advice all around thanks

I do run all the gauges you suggested as well as a Yaesu Nav/Com unit. They require radio on the field I fly off of.
Old 09-07-2013, 06:49 AM   #21
aboveangkor
Adventurer

Where do you fly out of? Any fast movers around there? If so you may want to get a old mode C transponder.I see your using the rubber ducky antenna.You can make a much better one for just a few bucks,mount it on the king post.
See if you can find a place out on the wing tip to mount the camera.Looking at you and forward.Drag is not too bad unless the camera is big and heavy.Also on your side where you can turn it in flight with your free hand.Keep the sun behind you.Turn off the auto focus and image stabilization.Check out my vids on youtube.Search aboveangkor Send me a PM if I can help with anything.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:17 AM   #22
jeepinbanditrider OP
Dunkin Donuts Crasher

Ultralight!

Nichols field just north of be border. Airport code is 0CL3. It's a private un towered field.

I plan to stop by radio shack and pick up the stuff to build my antenna. I was gonna put it on the king post as you suggested. Ill jump on there and watch your videos

Were under airspace for San Diego intl. IIRC it's 3800 feet at the bottom of the airspace so we usually fly around 2000 feet or so.

Sent from my iPhone

jeepinbanditrider screwed with this post 09-07-2013 at 09:24 AM
Old 09-07-2013, 09:33 AM   #23
RBnite
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinbanditrider View Post
So I've always been into aviation. Been working on and off for about a year to get my Private Pilot's certification but had to stop at the beginning of the year. Decided I wanted to pick up an Ultralight so I could fly on my own when I wanted and for the most part where I wanted with some restrictions. Not to mention it lets you fly without the constant oversight and permission of "Big Brother".

Anyone here fly ultralights?

Picked up the Hy-Tec Hurricane over the weekend. Here's some vids and pics.

Video compilation of the first day I had it doing familiarization flights on a dry lake bed (El Mirage Dry Lake).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTvoycq-dI

About 1500 feet AGL looking down on the landing area. You can barely make out the truck and another ultralight on the lake bed.

The day after getting the wings on a buddy of mine and I went up and he got some arieal video of me. It was a flight with a member of the SDUA to get familiar with the area around the field. Saw a few dual sports on some dirt roads around otay lakes road.
https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.ph...type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.ph...type=3&theater

Then a little video from last night doing a late evening sunset flight.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQGGiSygPgs
lake bed? looks like you flew to Mars!!
RBnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:38 AM   #24
jeepinbanditrider OP
Dunkin Donuts Crasher

Ultralight!

I also forgot to mention finding ethanol free fuel out here is probably not going to happen. It's impossible to find in California.

So either I have to fuel with ethanol or fly 50 miles to get 100LL. Which from my understanding has its own issues.

Edit-where do you find fuel pumps for these? I was browsing the CPS (California power sports) microfiche and can't find any fuel pump listed.

Sent from my iPhone

jeepinbanditrider screwed with this post 09-07-2013 at 12:00 PM
Old 09-07-2013, 08:37 PM   #25
aboveangkor
Adventurer

The best place i found for parts is Lockwood Aviation in Fla.Prices are sometimes higher but you get what you ordered.Phil's wife Tish knows the part number of everything they sell.Haven't talked to them in years since I moved to Cambodia.But nice people.
Your pump has a lot of lift to deal with.They have always said to keep it under 20 inches vertical.Having said that,I have seen people forget to open the vent on the plastic boat tanks that some people use and its caved the sides in! They are strong.The rebuild kit is cheap but some small parts inside and its easy to mess up.If you try it,shoot video and talk the whole time.Its not as easy as it looks.
I use safety wire instead of hose clamps but you need to use the right wire or you will cut it.I like the clear line so I can see its getting through.See if the marina's have any ethanol free fuel.The 100LL will work but change the plugs at 25 hours instead of 50.
Get an old BBQ cover for the motor.Birds like to build nests in the airscoop.And some bags of moth balls to lay around everywhere.The rats have cost me thousands.
Make sure no sunlight hits that wing when your not flying.Get a bettsometer to punch test the Dacron.
See if you can flip the rocket on the BRS.Put it up on the top of the canister. I don't like to see them so close to the tank.They can start a fire in a crash.BRS don't help much if your seatbelt anchor is weak.Its a hell of a shock when they open.Not trying to be a know it all but I have been doing this a while.
I will look for the antenna plans.Cheap and works great.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:51 PM   #26
aboveangkor
Adventurer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQETJqllV08
Here's one on making your own antenna.I have some more somewhere.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:22 PM   #27
jeepinbanditrider OP
Dunkin Donuts Crasher

It's in a hangar when I'm not flying or working on it. The previous owner used safety wire in place of hose clamps. It looks to be .31 safety wire. .20 would saw right though something like fuel hose. The previous owner also used clear fuel line for the whole system so I can see fuel in all the lines.

I don't plan on using LL due to where I'm at because of the distance I have to fly to get it but I don't have issues using it if I need to. I can carry a quart of 2-smoke oil on the bird with me in a small bag that's mounted to the inside of the fairing. That's good for 10 gallons of fuel. I could probably fit two quarts in there if need be and could fit another small bag on the opposite side of the fairing. That would give me enough room for some full day flights as far as oil supply goes when refueling.

I do want to do some camping at backcountry airstrips if possible with thing but I'm running into issues finding a way to mount any kind of bags on the bird. There's no room in the fairing since I take up most of it and the floor of the fairing has rigging for the rudder pedals running across it. I was kicking around the idea of two soft barrel bags and some flush anchors installed in the sides of the fairings. Any suggestions on this front?

I'll look for a Bettsometer next time I'm ordering parts or 2 stroke oil.

I'm a flight equipment tech by trade in the Marine Corps so one of the first things I looked at was the belts, stitching and mounting. Seems as solid as anything we have on our birds at work so should be good to go there. I've done some zero G parabolic arcs and some weightless stalls and the belt keeps me in place really well.

I'll pick up some mothballs next time I'm at the PX to drop around in there. Probably help keep the snakes out too. The guy who rents me the hangar said he's found a few Rattlers in there.

Keep the tips flowing I'm not sure when the pump and lines were replaced last so I'm going to order the pump and some clear line and replace the fuel system. The previous owner did install one of those boat type hand pumps like pictured below in the fuel system. Would you recommend taking this out and just running a straight line to the carbs?

jeepinbanditrider screwed with this post 09-07-2013 at 09:27 PM
Old 09-07-2013, 09:32 PM   #28
aboveangkor
Adventurer

I got to run out for lunch.I think Iám 13 hours ahead of you guys on the west coast.Get back to you soon.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:51 AM   #29
jeepinbanditrider OP
Dunkin Donuts Crasher

No hurry.

Sent from my iPhone
Old 09-08-2013, 10:14 AM   #30
Motor31
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,941
When it comes down to it, for most of us that have a wish to fly, an ultralight or light sport plane is more in line with what we really want than a regular light aircraft. Most of us just want to fly 'round the ol' pea patch rather than go cross country.

Good job on the bird and stay safe.

DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: