That Ridge Runner looks awesome
jeepinbanditrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:58 PM   #62
jeepinbanditrider OP
Dunkin Donuts Crasher

Oddometer: 1,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamFL View Post
St. Augustine. Fly from SGJ. I adjust aviation insurance claims, so my enthusiasm for owner flown transportation is a bit jaded. On of these with a BRS chute is interesting though....
Mine has a BRS. It is a nice piece of mind.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:37 AM   #63
aboveangkor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
At those RPMs its going to suck fuel.What kind of RPMs are you seeing on takeoff.Should be around 6500 give or take a few hundred.
The 582 will burn less than a 503 cause its water cooled.And you don't need all the power so you can back off.I love the 582 power but they won't last as long as a 503.The crank on the 582 will go first.
The good thing about our two stroke ultralights is the EGT and CHT gauges.You can see in a second if its running lean or rich.That can happen when a carb boot breaks and leaks.Or the little rubber nipple that covers the primer port comes off.
aboveangkor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:31 AM   #64
jeepinbanditrider OP
Dunkin Donuts Crasher

Oddometer: 1,132
Right at 6500.

Sent from my iPhone
Old 10-01-2013, 07:32 AM   #65
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,631
Several of my friends have lost cranks on their 582s but none on 503s, but for whatever reason my 582 has had zero problems in 16 years and 1400 hours. One PPC guy I fly with regularly burns 2.5 GPH with his 503 which is the best I know of. 160 lb guy with a big wing trimmed to perfection and carbs jetted perfectly. Rotax carb boots are very expensive so I stretch a piece of bicycle inner tube over them to protect them from UV and seal them in case of a crack. The ones I have on there now are 10 years old and still look perfect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboveangkor View Post
At those RPMs its going to suck fuel.What kind of RPMs are you seeing on takeoff.Should be around 6500 give or take a few hundred.
The 582 will burn less than a 503 cause its water cooled.And you don't need all the power so you can back off.I love the 582 power but they won't last as long as a 503.The crank on the 582 will go first.
The good thing about our two stroke ultralights is the EGT and CHT gauges.You can see in a second if its running lean or rich.That can happen when a carb boot breaks and leaks.Or the little rubber nipple that covers the primer port comes off.
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:46 AM   #66
CousinLarry
Ridin Dirty

Oddometer: 569
Very cool stuff fellas!!!!

Always wanted an UL! I have about 50 hours in single engine, and about 10 of those are solo. I was going for my PPL but ran out of money ;(

This was years ago.. Now I have a little more money, but PPL is even more expensive now. I was throwing around the idea of a powered parachute!! They look fun and look like you can pretty much take-off and land at any large field?

Right now I fly RC helis, airplanes, and quads to get my fix - would be fun to get back in the air though.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:56 AM   #67
aboveangkor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
If your turning 6500 on take off and your temps are right then your pretty much stuck with that fuel burn.And thats average burn.And thats sea level jetting.
Notice that when people start jetting for 5 or 6 thousand feet it comes way down.But if they came down to sea level they would run way to lean.They make a inflight adjustable needle jet but that only works in mid range.The altitude compensating carbs cost a mint and most people don't fly high enough to make it worth it.How many people go from sea level to 10000 feet all the time?
Hughmoth you put 1400 on a 582 and its never been rebuilt?If so thats a record for me.Good idea covering the carb boots.I seen hillbillys use radiator hose.Not for cover,for the boot!With the 582 you want to keep an eye on the rotor valve oil reservoir.If it starts to get milky looking,we call it a milk shake,then the water pump cross shaft seal is going bad.The water pump is on one end and the rotor valve on the other.
I started in Cessnas 30 years ago.It was fun at first but the first time I flew an ultralight I knew thats what I wanted to do. In my last job I flew a trike 1410 hours in seventeen months.2800 customers.From over 70 countries.Not one asked for their money back!
aboveangkor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:27 AM   #68
aftCG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
That Ridge Runner does in fact appeal to me (more so than a trike or powered chute - call me a traditionalist).

And he's not that far away in relative terms. Dammit. I'd have to offer up my 1050 as sacrifice.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:42 AM   #69
AdamFL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftCG View Post
That Ridge Runner does in fact appeal to me (more so than a trike or powered chute - call me a traditionalist).

And he's not that far away in relative terms. Dammit. I'd have to offer up my 1050 as sacrifice.
I like the looks of that as well. Next time I am in Sebring at Lockwood Aviation, creator of the Air Cam, I will have to get some educating.
AdamFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:07 AM   #70
aftCG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamFL View Post
I like the looks of that as well. Next time I am in Sebring at Lockwood Aviation, creator of the Air Cam, I will have to get some educating.
The AirCam is the S***. I've seen them operate and it would be pants pooping exciting to fly. Kit price is well north of $50k though.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:33 AM   #71
AdamFL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Yeah, don't need one of those but Lockwood is pretty good on ultralights and LSA in general. Oddly enough, I rent Phil's house on Gaspirilla Island for New Years. As a normal GA guy I always ignored this sector of aviation, but it does seem to be the adv of flying now that I look closer.
AdamFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:42 AM   #72
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

PPCs are fun, cheap, and safe. No BRS needed. Take off distance depends on many factors of course. Weight, wind, power, type of wing, density altitude, etc., but on the average they figure 300' max. I've taken off in less than 20' into a head wind. Landing also depends but it's possible to land with zero roll out into a head wind. For airstrips we use fields, roads, dry lake beds, and of course airports.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CousinLarry View Post
Very cool stuff fellas!!!!

Always wanted an UL! I have about 50 hours in single engine, and about 10 of those are solo. I was going for my PPL but ran out of money ;(

This was years ago.. Now I have a little more money, but PPL is even more expensive now. I was throwing around the idea of a powered parachute!! They look fun and look like you can pretty much take-off and land at any large field?

Right now I fly RC helis, airplanes, and quads to get my fix - would be fun to get back in the air though.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:47 AM   #73
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Yes, 1400+ hours on my 582 without rebuild. I have taken it apart a few times to decarbonize it and that requires new cylinder base gaskets. Only other parts I've replaced are spark plugs, spark plug caps, and a set of carb boots. I have made a few emergency landings due to carb ice but moving my radiator to the air flow in front of the air filter solved that problem.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:59 AM   #74
James Adams
Misplaced

Oddometer: 8,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugemoth View Post
Yes, 1400+ hours on my 582 without rebuild. I have taken it apart a few times to decarbonize it and that requires new cylinder base gaskets. Only other parts I've replaced are spark plugs, spark plug caps, and a set of carb boots. I have made a few emergency landings due to carb ice but moving my radiator to the air flow in front of the air filter solved that problem.
No carb heat on these engines, I'm guessing?
James Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:38 PM   #75
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

That's correct. I have seen some carb heat devices being marketed for the 582 that circulate warm coolant around the carbs, and even electrically heated carb warmers. Have also seen some more conventional type carb heaters being marketed for the 447/503 using exhaust heat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Adams View Post
No carb heat on these engines, I'm guessing?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: