Oddometer: 241
Quote:
In my last job I flew a trike 1410 hours in seventeen months
Where do I sign?
Old 10-01-2013, 08:02 PM   #77
aboveangkor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
With 1400 hours without a rebuild you knew this was coming;what oil do you use?
The Aircam is over a 100k by the time you finish.The kit price is without motors.Phil and his wife Thess are some of the nicest people in the business.Shes the one you want to talk to when you order parts.
i don't know if Lockwood still sells the Drifter.I got a few hours in one with Ron Dixon in Va.that had over 7000 hours.But you don't see them for sell that much.The best place to look for anything that flies is Barnstormers.
Before you buy anything spend a few hours on google.It can save not only money but maybe your life.I hate to say it but theres a lot of shady people selling junk out there.And some that design great planes but are terrible business men.And a few that should be in jail.If you get into ultralights you need a guru.Someone whos been around for years and can keep you from killing yourself.This is not a game.If your one of those people that stump your toes all the time or bang your head or smash your fingers with a hammer,forget your keys,can't find your ass with both hands,don't do it Keep walking.Flying is very unforgiving of mistakes.Maybe thats why almost every good pilot I have meet has been A type.
To me it don't matter what it is, PPG,PPC,three axis,trike,gyro,sailplane or hangglider,their all fun.PPG [powered paraglider] is the smallest,the motor is on your back.If my landing gear [legs] were bigger and my cargo bay [belly] smaller I would have one.But its mostly a young mans sport.Better have strong legs.
The powered parachute is great for low and slow.Keep it at home in a small trailer and forget the hanger.Lots of them out there for sale because they made so many.
I was getting lessons in a Challenger ultralight when the CFI keep talking about trikes.Told him to stop talking I'am not interested.but after I seen how much it was like flying a motorcycle I never looked back.That was 20 years ago.Because of trikes I got to meet some really good people and travel around the world getting paid to fly them.Couldn't do it if I wasn't single.Sometimes your broke and sometimes your loaded.Story of my life!
aboveangkor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 03:14 AM   #78
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,639
I've always used Pennzoil 2/cycle oil for air cooled engines, at least until they stopped making it. Now I used the multipurpose Pennzoil 2/cycle oil. It doesn't build up much carbon and the carbon it does make is pretty easy to remove. The rings never stick in the grooves except a small section of the lower rings just below the top ring end gaps.
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:15 AM   #79
aboveangkor
Adventurer

Thanks Hugemoth,thats good to know.Thats what I used but I haven't been in the states since 06 so I didn't know that they have changed the name.Over here we use Total gas and oil in the two and four strokes.A French company.Never a problem.A half liter is about two dollars and mixes with 25 liters of gas.The gas is about $1.25 a liter.The four stroke synthetic motorcycle oil we use in the 912 is $5 a liter. The 912S,100HP,used about 15 liters of gas an hour and the 912,80HP,uses about 17.We are 50 feet above sea level here in Siem Reap.I never go above 2000 feet.Most flights are 30 minutes.
If you ever use a 912S make sure it has the soft start,with 10.5 to 1 CR the kick back on start up broke the motor mounts.The soft start retards the timing on one mag.After your running you turn on the other one.Costs about $225.Like the Mr Funnel,a must have.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:59 AM   #80
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,363
Friend of mine just lost his life in an ultralight crash. He had been flying a powered parachute for about 7 years and was moving up to a fixed wing aircraft.....this was his first flight in that plane, others had flown it and it checked out fine.

http://www.kctv5.com/story/23584214/...ty-plane-crash
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:38 AM   #81
AdamFL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
Friend of mine just lost his life in an ultralight crash. He had been flying a powered parachute for about 7 years and was moving up to a fixed wing aircraft.....this was his first flight in that plane, others had flown it and it checked out fine.

Sorry for your friend. I have lost several friends to aviation as well. I investigate and settle aviation claims for a living and it is almost 100 percent the guy with the stick in his hand. Mechanical failures, while not unknown, are rarely the causes of fatal crashes. Most are slow/stall/spin in the airport environment. You guy might have PPC time, but I'd be curious to know what kind of regular AC time/training he had. RIP.
AdamFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:44 AM   #82
UngaWunga
Mosquito bait

Oddometer: 6,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamFL View Post
Sorry for your friend. I have lost several friends to aviation as well. I investigate and settle aviation claims for a living and it is almost 100 percent the guy with the stick in his hand. Mechanical failures, while not unknown, are rarely the causes of fatal crashes. Most are slow/stall/spin in the airport environment. You guy might have PPC time, but I'd be curious to know what kind of regular AC time/training he had. RIP.

Interesting info. I've heard that most aircraft accidents are with pilots with tons of hours vs newly trained pilots. Something to do with comfort level causing pilots to skip things on their checklists.

Now that I'm practicing takeoffs/landings, I can see how easy it is to screw those up.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:49 AM   #83
AdamFL
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UngaWunga View Post
Interesting info. I've heard that most aircraft accidents are with pilots with tons of hours vs newly trained pilots. Something to do with comfort level causing pilots to skip things on their checklists.

Now that I'm practicing takeoffs/landings, I can see how easy it is to screw those up.
Nope. Not flying the airplane and basic stick and rudder skills get most of them, high or low time. Your checklist theory works in some procedural sorts of things, like gear up landings, and other minor mishaps but fatalities almost always involve loss of control/airspeed/attitude and becoming a lawn dart vs. aircraft.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:51 PM   #84
aftCG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
I was prepared ask if there was an update to find the cause but that accident appears to have just happened yesterday.

Very sorry for the loss of your friend. The Kolb line is one reported to be well designed and built (from my understanding).

I spent the day looking at ads yesterday and came to the conclusion that a two seat trike might be a very affordable method of getting two butts in the air. My recollection is that weight shift is a rating I'll need to pick up.

The search continues...
Old 10-02-2013, 12:58 PM   #85
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,639
That's unfortunate. Sometimes it's better to stick with what you know. John Kennedy Jr flew PPCs for years with no problems but didn't do so well in a larger fixed wing plane. They suspect it was spacial disorientation which can't really happen in a PPC. That's not to say PPCs are fool proof. One of my friends almost drowned when he hit power lines over a river and went in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post

hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:29 PM   #86
AdamFL
Gnarly Adventurer

From the video and position of wreckage it looks like a base to final / stall, spin. Might have been SOP in a PPC but maybe not so much in a fixed wing airplane. These stall slow but still stall.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:47 PM   #87
jeepinbanditrider OP
Dunkin Donuts Crasher

Oddometer: 1,132
I keep an eagle eye on my airspeed during those critical phases of flight and keep my approach speed at 50MPH. My climb out speed at full power is at the same airspeed and it gets me a good climb rate.

My plane doesn't actually stall till it hits about 30 (a little under) but at 35 to 40 MPH while you have full control authority you are dropping at a good clip. Enough to make for a hard landing IMO. I bring it in at 50 to a few feet off the runway then throttle back and as the airspeed bleeds off it settles though ground effect and on to the tarmac. I've had a few hardish landings trying to nail the numbers but nothing too hard.

When I was doing my Private Pilot training and was first doing crosswinds I'm surprised I didn't rip the gear off that poor little C152.
jeepinbanditrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:03 PM   #88
aboveangkor
Adventurer

Sorry to hear about your friend.In cases like this we probably will never know what happened.RIP
Training is the best money you ever spend.You have a CFI sitting there ready to save your ass if you mess up.I can promise you will have things happen that will test your heart.It took me a few hundred hours to really loosen up start to relax.Around 50 hours you think you know what your doing.At 200 you KNOW that you know what your doing.At a thousand no one can tell you anything.And that attitude will get you killed.Too much or too little confidence is a dangerous thing.When your training you will hear it a million times;ALWAYS FLY THE PLANE!It might be on fire,or the wheels fall off,or out of fuel,don't matter,fly the plane.Its not over untill you give up.Even if you can't save it,try to hit wings level.
Don't ever let people play with your plane.I know that sounds like common sense,but you be surprised at some of the things people do.Especially at air shows.I've seen people put their kids in someones plane.Play with buttons and levers,flick the mag switches,lean on the wing.That last one got a man killed down in Tenn.flying back from a show.When that rocket comes out of the BRS it can kill you.It has a handle that pulls the firing pin with a cable that looks like a throttle cable.Works the same way.Even though it has a safety pin its just like you going up to a running bike and yanked on the cable.Its going wide open.BRS is the same.It will fire if you step on or catch the cable on something.Treat it like a gun.
Weight shift control can be added on to PPL.But I don't recommend a high time older three axis pilot to switch over.It can be done, but remember,everything is backwards.Push out to go up[more on that later] pull in to go down.Push right to go left and left to go right.Push on the right pedal to turn left,left pedal to turn right,on the ground, in the air it does nothing.Think of it as having your feet on the handlebars of you bike.Altitude is really all about throttle.You have one on your right pedal and another hand throttle for cruse.Foot throttle for take off and landing.More throttle and it goes up,back off and it comes down.You can pull the wing in as much as you want but at full throttle it will still be climbing.Push out and it will climb for a few seconds then mush over and drop down.Pull in with no power and it will dive untill it builds up some speed and then the nose will start to come up,even with the control bar pulled in to your belly.You can't dive it straight into the ground unless your already very low,like a few hundred feet.It self recovers.
When i first got into trikes 20 years ago,a simple stick trike with a 340 Kawasaki costs $7000.Now a top of the line 912FI costs a 100K.But lots of good used ones,two seaters,for $10 to $15K.The slow ones with big wings fly about 40 and the fastest ones with small wings can cruse at a 100 mph.Trikes are a good choice for people that weigh over 220 or tall guys.Iám 190 and I have taken up lots of people over 240.One time even a 350.But thats not something I would do again.Most trikes are limited to 240 a seat but you can't carry full fuel at that weight.The trike I used for work came with short seat belts so I always told them if the belt don't fit then your not going.One fat bitch gave me my only bad review on TripAdvisor cause I told her the limit was 240.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:20 PM   #89
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,195
There are certainly a lot of cool flying things around. I've been lusting for a Mosquito XE-something for quite a while. Got to check one out at Oshkosh and it seems quite well built.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:46 PM   #90
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,449
I like these.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: