ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2013, 02:57 PM   #46
arshishb
Studly Adventurer
 
arshishb's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Edison, NJ
Oddometer: 851
Hmm not much choice in the naked department. The Guzzi seems nice but is out of my price range. Looks like the 919 with a 5 gallon tank is my best bet.
arshishb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:51 PM   #47
davidji
bike curious
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: california
Oddometer: 990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
if you don't count the decorative bikini fairing....my 2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport was injected and had a 6.6 gallon tank - 320 mile range
48MPG (320/6.6) is more than I would have guessed. Was yours stock? Is that typical fuel economy for that bike? And would you buy one again?
davidji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 05:04 PM   #48
davidji
bike curious
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: california
Oddometer: 990
Quote:
Originally Posted by arshishb View Post
Hmm not much choice in the naked department. The Guzzi seems nice but is out of my price range. Looks like the 919 with a 5 gallon tank is my best bet.
On fuelly.com, 40MPG seems typical for those bikes. There must be some affordable nekkid bike out there with more range. R1200R I think has more range, but higher price.

FZ6 has better range but I don't know if we got the nekkid version in the US.

If you'll go cheaper, I think the OPs ZR7 came in a nekkid version. Larger tank, and from fuelly it appears a little better fuel economy than the 919. Not an especially popular bike tho.
davidji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 05:42 PM   #49
arshishb
Studly Adventurer
 
arshishb's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Edison, NJ
Oddometer: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidji View Post
On fuelly.com, 40MPG seems typical for those bikes. There must be some affordable nekkid bike out there with more range. R1200R I think has more range, but higher price.

FZ6 has better range but I don't know if we got the nekkid version in the US.

If you'll go cheaper, I think the OPs ZR7 came in a nekkid version. Larger tank, and from fuelly it appears a little better fuel economy than the 919. Not an especially popular bike tho.
Already owned an FZ6 & don't want to own one again. Also, the alternator is a measely 200W barely capable of running even heated grips, let alone heated gloves & vest.

I will check out the ZR7.
arshishb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 05:42 PM   #50
freetors
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Collinsville, OK
Oddometer: 858
I remember seeing someone on here with a truly monstrous 14 some odd gallon on his KTM 950.
freetors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:55 PM   #51
ben2go
Moto Flunky
 
ben2go's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Upstate SC USA
Oddometer: 3,211
I have a heavily modified 89 GS500E and I get about 220 miles before hitting reserve.I do have to keep it around or under 60mph.I could change engine sprockets and get better highway mpg but I built the bike for killing mountain curves.I also have a 05 GS500F tank which is larger by about a gallon or a little more.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:43 PM   #52
thatdirtykid
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: fresh relocated in longmont
Oddometer: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughlysses View Post
My Buell S3 would routinely reach 225-250 miles on a tank while cruising at 70-75 MPH.
Mine too. My commute 45mph county roads and a little 65mph freeway the gas light comes on around 200 miles. The I don't have far to go. Without the bags on its a bit better.
__________________
On the grocery getter buell s3t.
thatdirtykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:05 PM   #53
davidji
bike curious
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: california
Oddometer: 990
Quote:
Originally Posted by arshishb View Post
Already owned an FZ6 & don't want to own one again. Also, the alternator is a measely 200W barely capable of running even heated grips, let alone heated gloves & vest.

I will check out the ZR7.
FWIW I run all that stuff (65W jacket liner instead of vest) + aux lights on my Versys. Range is good too. Of course it's not nekkid, and it won't appeal to everyone.
davidji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 04:37 AM   #54
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t
 
Blakebird's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Parker, CO
Oddometer: 15,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidji View Post
48MPG (320/6.6) is more than I would have guessed. Was yours stock? Is that typical fuel economy for that bike? And would you buy one again?
yes, yes, and yes

the 1200 Sport only came to the U.S. in '08 and with the 2V motor. The next year model had the 4V motor and wasn't available here.

I picked it up in mid-2010 as a new leftover from a dealer in Ohio. Great bike.
Based on the Breva/Norge chassis with zoot Brembo brakes, Braking wave rotors, Marchesini wheels... fun to tour on.


@OP: the 919 is a great choice
__________________
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:11 AM   #55
Gham
Beastly Adventurer
 
Gham's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Auburn Hills,MI.
Oddometer: 1,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
yes, yes, and yes

the 1200 Sport only came to the U.S. in '08 and with the 2V motor. The next year model had the 4V motor and wasn't available here.

I picked it up in mid-2010 as a new leftover from a dealer in Ohio. Great bike.
Based on the Breva/Norge chassis with zoot Brembo brakes, Braking wave rotors, Marchesini wheels... fun to tour on.
TT Motorcycles in the Detroit area has a used one with 10 (yes,10) miles for $8,999.00 Saw it last week when I stopped by to see the new California's,they didn;t have any.
__________________
Member 6204

Society Historicus Revisioniscus
Gham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:54 AM   #56
malott442
Loud, yet refreshing
 
malott442's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Odenville, AL
Oddometer: 633
My R1100RT gets 200-250 miles per tank. That's without any fuel light ever coming on. 200 if I ride 85mph and aggressive corners, 250 if I ride 75mph or part of a group.
malott442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:16 AM   #57
flying_finn
motomessiah.blogspot
 
flying_finn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Seattle
Oddometer: 146
I have got 260 miles on a tank out of my Norge but I was deep into the reserve.

The bmw r100gspd has a nice large tank also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott of the Sahara View Post
Moto Guzzi Norge 1200. I usually fill up with my friends so we can compare mileage at around 150 miles. That being said, I have a 6 gallon tank and I can get near 47mpg. So 230 to 240 is pretty good. I usually don't want to push it past 225 since my mileage can vary from 42 to 47.
__________________
motomessiah.blogspot.com
flying_finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:36 AM   #58
stevie88
That's gotta hurt
 
stevie88's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: The place dad always warned me about
Oddometer: 18,311


8.5 gallons
__________________
In Russia we have saying, "if it isn't broke, don't fix it". We also say, "if it is broke, don't fix it".
stevie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 02:21 PM   #59
FishHunt
slow poking...
 
FishHunt's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Asheboro, N.C.
Oddometer: 1,339
If you liked your ZR7 then why not try a later model Z750? They have fuel injection, a 6spd trans, 25 more HP and a 4.8gal tank. Ridden normally it should deliver an easy 200 miles per tank.

<>< Fish
__________________
V-Strom 650 Averaging 100 Smiles per gallon

Be good and you will be lonesome - Mark Twain
____________________________________
FishHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 02:27 PM   #60
ST-DocLizard1
Serial Monogamist
 
ST-DocLizard1's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Hampton, NJ
Oddometer: 831
Quote:
Originally Posted by arshishb View Post
Hmm not much choice in the naked department. The Guzzi seems nice but is out of my price range. Looks like the 919 with a 5 gallon tank is my best bet.
Good choice! We have an '03 and '06 in the stable: one for sportin' and one for touring.
ST-DocLizard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014