Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2013, 12:25 PM   #1
Big_Dan_G OP
Untamed existance

Oddometer: 18
Birdstrike in Revelstoke BC

http://youtu.be/ft5eMuRnjS8

This August 31st the GF and were on our way back home from a ride out to Salmon Arm, BC. We started a little side trip north of Revelstoke on HWY 23 towards Mica Dam. Last minute a turkey vulture jumps out of the ditch on my right and bounces of my windscreen, my right shoulder and hits the GF in the helmet. The internal sun visor on her HJC cuts her nose for 3 stitches worth. She gets a concussion and is off work at least two weeks. We struck the bird about 90-95 kph.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Nothing lasts forever, so live it up, drink it down, laugh it off, avoid the bullshit, take chances & never have regrets, because at one point everything you did was exactly what you wanted. - Marilyn Monroe.
Big_Dan_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:29 PM   #2
Merckx the Cannibal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Whoa! And you weren't going very fast. I hope your girlfriend heals nicely. There's a bridge, about an hour north of me here in South Florida, where turkey vultures congregate, and there's a sign warning motorists about them. Those birds sure do have a big range.
Merckx the Cannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:00 PM   #3
folknride
Old Adventurer

Oddometer: 629
Dang Dan, that's scary. Sad that your first post is in Faceplant! Welcome to crazytown!
Not much of a recommendation for HJC - did it fit well (my wife hates snug helmets and tries to buy "loose" - we don't let her )
Hope your GF feels better soon. The bird looks like it got the worst of it
folknride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:46 PM   #4
Big_Dan_G OP
Untamed existance

We did buy a proper sized helmet. But I think we'll be getting her a new one. The HJC did its job as well as hoped. To bad it was new this year. I've lurked around here for awhile now. My buddy rob1313 said this was a good one to post.

Nothing lasts forever, so live it up, drink it down, laugh it off, avoid the bullshit, take chances & never have regrets, because at one point everything you did was exactly what you wanted. - Marilyn Monroe.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:33 PM   #5
GSPD750
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,370
Holy shit for a first post! Glad to hear that you are both somewhat ok and good job for keeping that bike upright the whole time....otherwise the rest of those vultures may have swarmed over you later.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:44 PM   #6
Spetz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Birds suck.. I hit one when I was 18. Some mach 3+ Robin or something.. Hit my left leg in the thigh, felt like a bullet and then it went up and hit under my passenger's helmet, almost took him off the back.. Damn birds..

Hope she heals up well!
Spetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:21 PM   #7
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,442

Young ravin. glad you walked away from it .
Old 09-05-2013, 10:04 PM   #8
psmcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 794
Damn. Glad it wasn't worse. I had a couple pheasant scares in Oregon last fall. They're slow but look like rockets compared to that vulture's act. One more hazard to worry about.
psmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:31 AM   #9
stucknarut
Uh oh...

Oddometer: 159
I took a sparrow in the chest once, hurt like hell, good job staying upright with a vulture. Could be worse, a friend of mine had one come through the windshield of his new truck and land in the front bench seat. When injured or scared they claw like hell and regurgitate. His upholstery was shredded, smothered, covered, and chunked, as they say at Waffle House.
stucknarut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:26 AM   #10
rob1313
Still learning

Oddometer: 4,303
Good to see the post made it up over here. Hope she's still on the fast road to recovery.
In regards to the helmet, did she have the main shiel open and just the sun visor down? Or did the bird mash the main visor and then the sun visor?
Old 09-06-2013, 12:21 PM   #11
IpponDuro
Now with Camel Toe

Oddometer: 1,008
Wow,
3 or 4 years ago I had almost exactly the same thing happen, popped right out of the ditch and into the road. The only difference was I was riding solo and my right shin took the brunt of the Impact..... stupid turkey vultures, some of him stuck to my exhaust

IpponDuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:44 PM   #12
Big_Dan_G OP
Untamed existance

Both the sun visor and the outer shield were down. She rides that way most of the time.

Old 09-06-2013, 05:02 PM   #13
Mcreviver
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Puking Vultures

I came up on three vultures eating along a tight twisty section of rural road while moving at a fairly slow pace. They started their take off run down the road in front of me. There wasn't enough of a runway to either side of the road due to the dense foiliage. I paced them and adjusted my speed so I was close enough to almost reach the tail feathers of the trailing bird. About that time he must have decided to lighten his load so as to improve climb performance. I dodged the puke by inches. Sure wish I had a helmet cam for that scene and glad I didn't receive a taste of what ever well dead critter he was dining on.

Mcreviver screwed with this post 09-07-2013 at 06:02 PM
Mcreviver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:16 PM   #14
t-bills
mcs are dangerous

Oddometer: 268
Last year I was riding along in a line of traffic. I saw him swooping down, but didn't think a thing of it. He saw the truck in front of me and saw the car behind me. He decided to split the two. Doh! I caught him with the "beak" of my Multistrada. Fortunately, no real damage to the bike and substantial damage to the buzzard.
t-bills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:01 PM   #15
tundra61
I wish I had a title

Oddometer: 973
Close call - glad you are ok.

By the way, the only birds I want to see in Revelstoke are "wirly birds" to fly you into that areas amazing back country skiing !
tundra61 is online now   Reply With Quote