Oddometer: 168
good luck!
b4thenite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:27 AM   #17
advFord OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 439
Day 3 - Bahia de Los Angeles to Santa Rosalia

I took my time getting started and spent the morning online checking routes. Everything looked set to take the road south out of Bahia de Los Angeles but when I went to get on the road I couldnít find it. I asked people where the road to San Pedro was but no one seemed to know. My GPS wasnít any help either. I ended up following the road I came in on back to Highway 1.

Bayside hotel and parking

Bayside hotel and parking

More desert riding today with very few other cars on the road. I rode two hours south to the next major town, Guerrero Negro, for lunch. Yep, mas tacos por favor. I kept lunch quick so I could to get to Santa Rosalia early to avoid searching for a hotel at night again. The highway turns east and the winds let up making it a nice ride. The further east the landscape becomes less desolate desert and more like Arizona, red rocks and cactus. It was a beautiful road with lots of twisting through the mountains. I think about stopping to take more photos but Iím having too much fun riding. The Heidenau tires I have on are great.

Tacos Guerro Negro

Riding in Baja

Baja California

As I was riding I saw a wild burro grazing a few feet off the road. Since I missed the horses yesterday I stopped to take a photo. The burro started stomping itís hoof and grunting. I was trying to swap lenses but it wouldnít line up. I could hear to burro was getting angry. Why wonít the lens click in?! Am I about to be attacked by a wild burro? The news segment flashed in my head. Finally it clicked and I snapped a few photos. I wasnít happy with what I got but didnít want to stick around to find out what that burro might do if I interfered with his grazing any longer.

El burro de Baja

El burro de Baja

Arriving in Santa Rosalia you pass by all the industrial mining plants and then into the city center. Unlike most other towns in Baja the buildings here are made of wood and is laid out like a city with blocks. Everything is very packed in the small city center. I drove around it 4 times looking for the bank and a hotel that had secure parking. I ended up riding a mile out of town and found a nice spot.

I came to Santa Rosalia to take a ferry over to mainland Mexico. I knew what time the ferry left but didnít know for sure if I could get the temporary vehicle import permit I needed here. I went online and found that I could only get it at the borders or in La Paz which is 340miles south of here. Since I want to ride to Copper Canyon that would make me back track hundreds of miles I asked around a few places online and everything says I have to go to La Paz. So tomorrow morning thatís what Iíll have to do.

Facebook
Instagram @PlacesBeyond My Spot
advFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:33 AM   #18
advFord OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 4 - To La Paz or Guaymas

I set my alarm early because I had 340 miles ahead of me to ride to La Paz. Before I left I checked my email and saw a message from the person I was going to be Couchsurfing with in Guaymas. She said there was a port of entry over there and I could easily get my Temp Vehicle Import Permit there! So back to my original plan of crossing on the Santa Rosalia ferry.

I went back to bed cause the ferry didnít start boarding till 7:30 (or does it?) I packed up my stuff and grabbed a bite to eat at the hotel. The owner came over and said the ferry had not arrived yet and that usually means itís broken down. I took my time finishing breakfast and rode down to the port.

I paid for my ferry ticket which I thought was a bit pricey (2,224 pesos for me and my moto) I asked what time the ferry would depart, about 1 hour they said. That was 8am. The ferry arrived around 10am and they began to unload. By noon I was still waiting outside. A group of Mexican marines searched all the vehicles and bags, and the dogs went sniffing for drugs. They check every nook of the vehicles. After 2+ hours of inspections they were ready. The customs official confirmed I can get the TVIP in Guaymas and they let me board.

Tickets to Santa Rosalia

Tickets to Santa Rosalia

The small ferry in port at Santa Rosalia

The small ferry in port at Santa Rosalia

I was the fist one on the ferry. They tied it down so it wouldnít fall over during the crossing. Itís a small ferry compared to others Iíve been on . it can maybe hold 10 cars. Thereís 3 areas for passengers to sit. A lower deck with reclining chairs and two TVs playing dubbed movies from Hollywood and Japan. Also on the lower deck is a small snack bar.

Aboard the ferry

Aboard the ferry

The upper deck has a place for seating or you can stand along the railing. Thereís a first class cabin on the main level but the door was closed.

The upper deck of the Santa Rosalia Ferry

The upper deck of the Santa Rosalia Ferry

The port and town of Santa Rosalia

The port and town of Santa Rosalia

I spent the day writing blog updates. There was no Wifi onboard so I just typed them in notepad. The trip ended up taking just about 9 hours.

They had military at the port to inspect us once again and after a 30 minute inspection I was off. In Guaymas Iím staying with a Couchsurfer host who is letting me stay at her house on short notice.

Facebook
Old 10-14-2013, 09:32 AM   #19
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by advFord View Post
... Thereís a large restaurant there with the ceiling covered with hanging beer cans. A woman came from kitchen and brought me the menu and a bowl of tortilla chips that could have fed a family of 8. I had a quiet dinner with myself and a cat that was meowing by the door. The night before I had only slept for 3 hours, so while I planned on writing a blog, I fell asleep after writing one sentence.

Good to get the anticlimax out of the way Dan, but still its good to ease into such an adventure.

Happy Trails amigo!

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 03:43 PM   #20
Ulyses
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 891
Quote:
.........She said there was a port of entry over there and I could easily get my Temp Vehicle Import Permit there! So back to my original plan of crossing on the Santa Rosalia ferry.......
I'm still waiting to see how this turns out....only because it was such a headache for me....twice!
Ulyses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:32 PM   #21
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,933
hi dan. i knew you had big plans. well, nice to see you're on a good start and rolling.

keep us posted.

cheers.
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 09:34 PM   #22
advFord OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Guaymas and getting that darn TVIP

It's 6 AM and the neighborhood roosters are starting their routines. It doesn't phase me as the neighborhood dogs were barking throughout the night. I'm staying with a wonderful Couchsurfing host named Marie. I wish more people couch experience Couchsurfing. After I graduated college my best friend and I packed our bags and went abroad for 5 months. Before we left a friend of ours told us about this new social network for travelers, called Couchsurfing. All over the world there are millions of people who are apart of this community that love traveling, meeting new people, and learning from new cultures. Before you get to a new place, get on Couchsurfing, search for people in that city, read their profile to learn a bit about them, and see if you could surf their couch. Sometimes it's just a couch, or floor space, others its a spare bedroom. More than the shelter for the night, it's an opportunity to meet wonderful people.

Guaymas Mexico

The home I'm staying at in Guaymas is a lovely place that Marie has built by herself over the years. The property has beautiful gardens, trees, and 3 dogs, 4 cats, and a few turtles. Marie has taken all of these animals in off the streets which usually requires nursing them back to health.

Marie's wonderful casa Marie's wonderful casa

front porch decor

Front Porch Decorations

After having a cup of coffee Marie and I walk downtown to do some shopping and get breakfast. She has a scooter that blew a fuse so we set off to find a replacement. We visited several shops and finally found the one she needed. I don't know how this shop owner can find anything in here, but somehow he does.

Guaymas auto parts store The most organized auto parts store in Guaymas

Marie has lived here for 18 years and she's such a friendly person that everywhere we went people were stopping to greet us. We stopped by her friends restaurant in a cafeteria for breakfast. We sat down and she suggested I have a bowl of Birria, a Mexican stew made of pork and spices. It's served either as a taco or as a soup. The flavors in this little bowl were incredible. Don't forget to add some fresh lime juice, cilantro, and onion to complete the flavor.

Guaymas cafeteria

Birria, a traditional Mexican stew Birria, a traditional Mexican stew

At a Guaymas cafeteria

IMG_0101

That afternoon I thought I should try to get my vehicle import permit sorted out. Marie gave me directions on a piece of scrap paper and I set out to find the Audana (customs office). If you follow my Spot tracker you'll see I did a few circles this afternoon. Just going off the map she gave me I found myself on the highway but out in the middle of nowhere. I was sure I had missed it somehow. So I turned around. I stopped a gas station and asked "cuantos kilometers a aduanua" He replied "tres kilometers" So off I went again. After going 4 kilometers I decided he didn't know what he was talking about and that the building with all the trucks stopped at it must be it. So I turned around. I pulled into the parking lot and asked the guard at the gate where I could get Temporary Vehiculo permit. He said "cinco kilometers" up the road on the right. Where google maps when you need it! I got back on my bike and rode south, 5 kilometers passed but I thought the guard was so official and confident in his answer that he couldn't be wrong. 7km passed and I see a sign for vehiculos permits. The building looks deserted but thankfully there was a car in the parking lot. After getting copies of my title and passport, paying the $59 fee and the $400 deposit, I had my Temp Import Permit! Now I just have to remember to check my vehicle out of the country when I leave so I get my deposit back. No one else seemed to know you could get your TVIP that far south in Sonora but you can! There were a few moments were I thought I might have to drive all the way north to the border at Douglas. But now I'm all set.

It's a Saturday night and Marie asked if I'd like to go to the beach town of San Carlos to hang with some of her friends. We stopped at the convince store to pick up some drink and snacks, and to my surprise they sell Peace Tea here! I can't even find Peace Tea everywhere in the US. Peace Tea Razzleberry is my preferred high sugary fake tea of choice. $ .99 of refreshment.

Razzleberry Peace Tea! Muy Bien! Razzleberry Peace Tea! Muy Bien!

We hung out on the beach drinking cervezas then went back to her friends condo where they made quesadillas and we watched La Voz, Mexico's The Voice. I had never seen the show in the US but it was entertaining. Her friends gave me some Spanish tips. It's not quesadilla, it's que-SA-dIYA!*They told me that Sonora girls are known for talking with a lot of authority and spunk. I think they're the equivalent of New Jersey/Philly/New York girls.
Facebook
Old 10-14-2013, 09:59 PM   #23
advFord OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Joel, I still think I'm a bit crazy for doing this. Afterall, the DV Noob Rally in March was my biggest ride up till now. Have you spent anytime in Mexico or further south? Any suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSFW View Post
hi dan. i knew you had big plans. well, nice to see you're on a good start and rolling.

keep us posted.

cheers.
Facebook
Old 10-14-2013, 11:03 PM   #24
davidbrundage
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Man, I love your vibe!

I live in Costa Mesa and make my living doing post production, so I feel a huge connection to this one!

Definitely subscribed.

I've flown down and done some riding in Costa Rica, Nicaragua, and Ecuador. Let me know if you're interested in any routes, I have them all on GPX files. They were all loops, so they may not be the most conducive to your map, but they're yours if you want 'em!

Godspeed!
davidbrundage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:31 PM   #25
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,615
Maybe you can be one the first on the new SanBlas Ferry and tell us all about it. Goodluck on your trip and take as much time as you can
Old 10-15-2013, 06:10 AM   #26
advFord OP
Gnarly Adventurer

A costa mesa connection! That's awesome, man. Yea I work at Roadtrip Nation off 17th by Volcom. Go enjoy a Sidecar Donut for me. Ha I'm already missing those delicious things. I'm definitely interested in the routes. Are they multiday loops or single day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbrundage View Post
Man, I love your vibe!

I live in Costa Mesa and make my living doing post production, so I feel a huge connection to this one!

Definitely subscribed.

I've flown down and done some riding in Costa Rica, Nicaragua, and Ecuador. Let me know if you're interested in any routes, I have them all on GPX files. They were all loops, so they may not be the most conducive to your map, but they're yours if you want 'em!

Godspeed!
Facebook
Old 10-15-2013, 06:11 AM   #27
advFord OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I think I might stick with the Stahlratte. I've had that in my mind of doing that 4 day trek through the San Blas islands for so long. I'll let you know what I do though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlemeister View Post
Maybe you can be one the first on the new SanBlas Ferry and tell us all about it. Goodluck on your trip and take as much time as you can
Facebook
Old 10-15-2013, 06:33 AM   #28
Scubalong
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 725
Thumb Have a safe trip

Hey Dan
Look like you having a great trip so far, I will be riding along on my comfy chair Thanks for sharing your report and pictures. Those tacos look so good right now. I guess we will miss you at the next noob rally.
Scubalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:04 AM   #29
Ulyses
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 891
Quote:
After getting copies of my title and passport, paying the $59 fee and the $400 deposit, I had my Temp Import Permit! Now I just have to remember to check my vehicle out of the country when I leave so I get my deposit back. No one else seemed to know you could get your TVIP that far south in Sonora but you can! There were a few moments were I thought I might have to drive all the way north to the border at Douglas. But now I'm all set.
Pheww.... I"m glad you didn't have to make a run all the way back to the border! Now you just need to hope hope they didn't stamp your passport with "salida" by accident....
Ulyses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:28 AM   #30
davidbrundage
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Quote:
A costa mesa connection! That's awesome, man. Yea I work at Roadtrip Nation off 17th by Volcom. Go enjoy a Sidecar Donut for me. Ha I'm already missing those delicious things. I'm definitely interested in the routes. Are they multiday loops or single day?
They're 8-10 day loops, mostly off- and small back roads.

Small world, I had no idea you were THAT close by. My office was on 17th and Placentia for a few years but I moved over to the East Side recently.

I know it's a long ways out, but I'd love to grab a drink when you're back in town and hear about the trip!
davidbrundage is offline   Reply With Quote