ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2013, 06:26 AM   #1
AirforceGSRider244 OP
Hardcore adventurer
 
Joined: May 2013
Location: Denver, CO
Oddometer: 84
San Antonio highway crash

A few weeks ago i was driving south on 281 heading back to base, just north of the 1604 loop after a nice days ride through guadalupe river. enjoying the day and the nice weather. ... driving about 50 mph when the car in front of me slams on there brakes and LUCKILY i am able to stop for it just in time. but unbeknownst to me some behind me doesnt stop for me and side-swipes my brand freaking new kalamata brown 2013 F800GS on its right side and jolts me forward about 20ft. i am able to stabilize the bike for that length but as soon i am about to come to a stop it swings around 180 degrees and lands on its left side in the median of grass and gravel. the ***hole drives off before i get his plate number. but not before my right arm take his whole left mirror off. thankfully im ATGATT. so the pad protected my arm from being broken and the fall to not be too rough. i was extremely pissed

Click images to see them bigger. im still trying to play around with photobucket.



Now theres a giant white streak across my touratech zega pro boxes and its dented like crazy. and scratches and dents on left side. got as much as i could out of the dents myself. insurance is being unresponsive on occasion and could be awhile before i see any money from insurance to come in. gotta say without those zega pro boxes my leg wouldve been gone. he was hauling ass behind me.

btw if you ever drive in texas STAY AWAY FROM SAN ANTONIO HIGHWAY SYSTEM! if theres open space theres a unneccessary highway to replace it. and a turnaround right next to it. these highways are absolutely rediculous. no grid pattern at all. cant tell ya how many times assholes try to speed or bolt in front of you or merge into you.
__________________
You always think your in control of your bike no matter how fast your going....
Until that split second that your not. and then its all over from there. one second is the difference between life and death.
There are 2 types of riders. those whove crashed and those who havent crashed yet

AirforceGSRider244 screwed with this post 09-06-2013 at 07:02 AM
AirforceGSRider244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:16 PM   #2
sandsman
Gnarly Adventurer
 
sandsman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Greenville, Tx
Oddometer: 421
I agree on the SA drivers. I nearly got ran over 2 times in about an hour there in June. First one a lady in a Mercedes just decided to change lanes without looking (this happens anywhere) but my extra loud air horn makes them move out of the way. The other time was a stupid ass taxi with a Mexican driving it......nuff said.
__________________
The Sandsman cometh and so he goeth too.......
Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just shoot you.
"Be kind to the Universe, and it will be kind to you"
sandsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:57 PM   #3
Dirtbiker
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Oddometer: 124
I know.

I lived in San Antonio for awhile, but in 2011, I just started riding on the street. I've gotta 2011 V-Strom 650, which is my first street bike.

I'm glad you survived. I always gear up, always, even on short rides to the store.

Dirtbiker screwed with this post 09-10-2013 at 05:08 PM
Dirtbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:51 PM   #4
psmcd
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: foot of Olympus
Oddometer: 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirforceGSRider244 View Post
the ***hole drives off before i get his plate number.
Anymore this behavior is not surprising. Now what surprises me is the absence of anyone aware or outraged enough to take his plate or follow him and turn him in. Did anyone stop to help or see if you were ok?
psmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 02:31 PM   #5
fltplan
Just toolin around
 
fltplan's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Southwest
Oddometer: 124
I was in SA visiting in June, just about got killed driving from the airport. The freeway system is frightening there. Makes you want to live way outside the city, perhaps in the Hill Country.
__________________
AMA member
District 38 - 550S
KTM 250 XCW
BMW 1150 GSA www.2wheelsflyin.tumblr.com - my journey on wheels!
fltplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 02:44 PM   #6
The PacRat
I'm that other guy
 
The PacRat's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: the Poison Oak Patch
Oddometer: 2,470
You think SA is fun, drive up 35 to Austin at 6:00pm on a Friday. Then try to pry your testicles back out once your ride is over. I did that on a Honda Reflex once - never again.
__________________
If a hammer don't fix it, then it's an electrical problem.
The PacRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 03:13 PM   #7
84hd79
n00b
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Oddometer: 3
Totally agree, I thought that California drivers were bad. This place is crazy and the people here drive like idiots. They have no consideration for other drivers, always seem to be on a cell phone and don't pay attention. I have found that the safest place to be on the highway is the fast lane because they can only come at me from one direction! The problem that I find with the slow lane is that too many people decide to exit at the last second and cut across 2 lanes of traffic to do it.
84hd79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:11 PM   #8
AirforceGSRider244 OP
Hardcore adventurer
 
Joined: May 2013
Location: Denver, CO
Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by psmcd View Post
Anymore this behavior is not surprising. Now what surprises me is the absence of anyone aware or outraged enough to take his plate or follow him and turn him in. Did anyone stop to help or see if you were ok?
to my suprise.... absolutely no one stopped. just drove on past and didnt even care. i cant wait to ride to Buckley AFB CO in February. and get the hell out of san antonio. in my home state people wouldve done the right thing. but then again that was indiana. not texas. it was probably some mexican with no insurance. freakin douche
__________________
You always think your in control of your bike no matter how fast your going....
Until that split second that your not. and then its all over from there. one second is the difference between life and death.
There are 2 types of riders. those whove crashed and those who havent crashed yet
AirforceGSRider244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:34 PM   #9
backroadrider74
Adventurer
 
backroadrider74's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: DIXIE
Oddometer: 89
Be safe

Look as far ahead as you can see. Crank the throttle when passing. don't tailgate stay right when at any kind of stop. This world is full of shitty caged drivers.
backroadrider74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:50 PM   #10
RollingJ
The mud in your eye
 
RollingJ's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Bastrop, tx
Oddometer: 233
In Austin, you damn well better look both ways before you roll into an intersection when you get a new green light.

I was hit two times while driving cars that way.
__________________
Some will fall, others will laugh. I will do both.
06KLX250S 05CRF450X 98ST1100
RollingJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:21 AM   #11
Heyload
Remastered Classic
 
Heyload's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: San Antonio
Oddometer: 6,986
Having lived in San Antonio for a number of years now, I agree, the traffic here is out of control in certain areas of town.

I can't count the sheer number of close-calls I've had.

Acts of stupidity, compounded by a blatant disregard of traffic laws or common sense.

People on the cell-phone yakking or texting. Driving like their playing "Grand Theft Auto"..which in some cases is probably true. The "entitlement" mentality plays out daily.... "I have every right to speed, cut off others, drive like an idiot and basically do what I want because I'm special!"

Let me give you an example:

During the I-10/Loop 410 interchange construction, traffic heading west on 410 had to wait in the right lane to go around the ramp leading to I-10. Traffic would usually be backed up in this construction zone. Most folks knew this and would just patiently wait their turn...except for the self-entitled pricks that would zoom up along the left side of the waiting cars and then force their way in, horns blaring, at the front of the line.

Even better, and this one is amazing for it's sheer stupidity. Cars coming up on the line would move to the right...on the shoulder...then proceed past the line of waiting cars...turn right across the on-ramp that led up to 410 at Vance Jackson...to get on the frontage road and then follow that around to Callaghan so they could get onto I-10 there.

It got so bad, and so many people complained about this idiocy, that the cops basically set up on the frontage road, about six cop cars in a line waiting. As soon as some shitwhistle pulled the "drive down the shoulder, cut across the on ramp to the frontage road" stunt, the first cop would nail him, while the others moved up in the line...then the next cop would nail the next idiot....and so on and so on. I think they wrote over 30 tickets in two hours. The local news station was out covering the story, and showed car after car pulling this stunt. At one point, all six cops had someone pulled over, and people were STILL cutting across the on-ramp.

As the cops finished writing the tickets, the news team would approach and ask the driver of the vehicle why they were doing something so dangerous. Almost without exception, every driver was outraged they had been ticketed, and thought it was wrong! "I can't be waiting all day in traffic!" "I have places I need to go!" "It's wrong that they were waiting like that, this ticket is not fair!" and so on and so on. Only one guy they talked to owned up to it. "Yeah, I know it's illegal. I took my chances and I got caught. I'll pay the fine."

That is the mentality most of us have to deal with here in San Antonio.

The cops worked that area for about a week before people got the message. I'm not sure of the final total of tickets written. Let's see...driving on the shoulder...crossing an on ramp..construction zone...reckless driving...I bet those tickets were pretty steep.
__________________
"Would you care for some left-over bacon?"...said no man, ever.

When life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

Heyload screwed with this post 09-17-2013 at 08:38 AM
Heyload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:36 AM   #12
AirforceGSRider244 OP
Hardcore adventurer
 
Joined: May 2013
Location: Denver, CO
Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyload View Post
Having lived in San Antonio for a number of years now, I agree, the traffic here is out of control in certain areas of town.

I can't count the sheer number of close-calls I've had.

Acts of stupidity, compounded by a blatant disregard of traffic laws or common sense.

People on the cell-phone yakking or texting. Driving like their playing "Grand Theft Auto"..which in some cases is probably true. The "entitlement" mentality plays out daily.... "I have every right to speed, cut off others, drive like an idiot and basically do what I want because I'm special!"

Let me give you an example:

During the I-10/Loop 410 interchange construction, traffic heading west on 410 had to wait in the right lane to go around the ramp leading to I-10. Traffic would usually be backed up in this construction zone. Most folks knew this and would just patiently wait their turn...except for the self-entitled pricks that would zoom up along the left side of the waiting cars and then force their way in, horns blaring, at the front of the line.

Even better, and this one is amazing for it's sheer stupidity. Cars coming up on the line would move to the right...on the shoulder...then proceed past the line of waiting cars...turn right across the on-ramp that led up to 410 at Vance Jackson...to get on the frontage road and then follow that around to Callaghan so they could get onto I-10 there.

It got so bad, and so many people complained about this idiocy, that the cops basically set up on the frontage road, about six cop cars in a line waiting. As soon as some shitwhistle pulled the "drive down the shoulder, cut across the on ramp to the frontage road" stunt, the first cop would nail him, while the others moved up in the line...then the next cop would nail the next idiot....and so on and so on. I think they wrote over 30 tickets in two hours. The local news station was out covering the story, and showed car after car pulling this stunt. At one point, all six cops had someone pulled over, and people were STILL cutting across the on-ramp.

As the cops finished writing the tickets, the news team would approach and ask the driver of the vehicle why they were doing something so dangerous. Almost without exception, every driver was outraged they had been ticketed, and thought it was wrong! "I can't be waiting all day in traffic!" "I have places I need to go!" "It's wrong that they were waiting like that, this ticket is not fair!" and so on and so on. Only one guy they talked to owned up to it. "Yeah, I know it's illegal. I took my chances and I got caught. I'll pay the fine."

That is the mentality most of us have to deal with here in San Antonio.

The cops worked that area for about a week before people got the message. I'm not sure of the final total of tickets written. Let's see...driving on the shoulder...crossing an on ramp..construction zone...reckless driving...I bet those tickets were pretty steep.
you and i are gonna get along. i feel the EXACT same way about the entitlement mentality that not only drivers in san antonio have but alot of select americans have as well. but thats a whole other forum. i have had countless close calls in the month and a half ive had a vehicle in texas. no matter how safe i try to drive this place just has no rules and no consideration for others.
__________________
You always think your in control of your bike no matter how fast your going....
Until that split second that your not. and then its all over from there. one second is the difference between life and death.
There are 2 types of riders. those whove crashed and those who havent crashed yet
AirforceGSRider244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:07 PM   #13
AirforceGSRider244 OP
Hardcore adventurer
 
Joined: May 2013
Location: Denver, CO
Oddometer: 84
i didn't let him him leave without a mark though. i took his driver side mirror off with my arm. so he no longer has a mirror. i hate San Antonio. i cant wait to move to CO in February. less idiots from what i hear...
__________________
You always think your in control of your bike no matter how fast your going....
Until that split second that your not. and then its all over from there. one second is the difference between life and death.
There are 2 types of riders. those whove crashed and those who havent crashed yet
AirforceGSRider244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 01:42 PM   #14
rpeter
Adventurer
 
rpeter's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2013
Location: Northeast hell
Oddometer: 64
Reading hit-and-run stories makes me wonder if a dashcam setup would be a good idea. I already use the Hero3 every day for the commute, but its battery only lasts 90 minutes or so, making it unacceptable for long rides. It's also only front-facing.

Here's a bike dashcam setup for less than the Hero3 Black - http://ozreprap.com/zencart/index.ph...products_id=55
rpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:39 PM   #15
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso
 
tricepilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: San Antonio
Oddometer: 8,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirforceGSRider244 View Post
i hate San Antonio. i cant wait to move to CO in February. less idiots from what i hear...
Good luck

tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014