Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2013, 06:01 AM   #16
RGuerra
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by The PacRat View Post
You think SA is fun, drive up 35 to Austin at 6:00pm on a Friday. Then try to pry your testicles back out once your ride is over. I did that on a Honda Reflex once - never again.
Several years ago - on a Friday, around that time- we were traveling from San Marcos to San Antonio. We were literaly being pushed to do 85+ and there was no way to leave some space between us and the car in front before some frenzied driver took it. Then my wife says: look at the driver on our right.
There was a gal in her lower twenties, body forward close to the center rearview mirror, doing her eye makeup!!!!
Matamoros, Mx.
N25°52'57.80" W97°30'53.50"
RGuerra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:54 AM   #17
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Oddometer: 4,229
I spend about six to eight weeks in SA every year and don't find it any worse that other big cities but then I stay the hell away from the busy roads at the rush. If I go anywhere its between 9 and 3. Its my understanding that many drivers don't have insurance there? How do they get away with that?
exoff-roadgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:10 AM   #18
Heyload
Remastered Classic

Oddometer: 7,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by exoff-roadgoat View Post
I spend about six to eight weeks in SA every year and don't find it any worse that other big cities but then I stay the hell away from the busy roads at the rush. If I go anywhere its between 9 and 3. Its my understanding that many drivers don't have insurance there? How do they get away with that?
They do it the same way it's done everywhere else....until they get caught.

When life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
Heyload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 02:59 PM   #19
AirforceGSRider244 OP
Hardcore adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsman View Post
I agree on the SA drivers. I nearly got ran over 2 times in about an hour there in June. First one a lady in a Mercedes just decided to change lanes without looking (this happens anywhere) but my extra loud air horn makes them move out of the way. The other time was a stupid ass taxi with a Mexican driving it......nuff said.
Yea extra loud horn is definitely a plus. i have the stiebel horn on my 800. people really get away from me when they try to merge into me. i cant even count how many times people cut me off or merge into me. i never ride next cars. always diagonally behind or diagonally in front. and always have an out both on highway and streets and stoplights/stop signs. nvr know when ur gonna get it in the rear
AirforceGSRider244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 03:43 PM   #20
AirforceGSRider244 OP
Hardcore adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by exoff-roadgoat View Post
i dont see cops that often and theres way to many people for the number of cops. so its pretty easy for dirt bags to have no insurance. i hate san antoinio highways. if theres an open space for anything they say well lets put a highway right here.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:47 PM   #21
Bearsfatha
Pirate on a GS!

Oddometer: 24
Sorry some idiot hit you, but I'm glad you made it out OK. Lucky for all of us bikes can be fixed. However, as a friend of my says, "You can't 'fix' stupid." And there are a lot of stupid people out there. I've ridden in SA for a many years and have had my share of close calls, but I find it to be like most big cities. Too many people, in too big a hurry, with too little care for the other people traveling around them. Yes, 281 and 1604 are a nightmare most of the time, so I avoid riding there and several other areas of town. But, the Hill Country is beautiful, the Twisted Sister's are fairly close and challenging, and the Mexican food totally rock!

Like I said, I'm really glad you made it out OK. Ride safe and smart.
Old 09-19-2013, 11:18 PM   #22
Heyload
Remastered Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirforceGSRider244 View Post
i dont see cops that often and theres way to many people for the number of cops. so its pretty easy for dirt bags to have no insurance. i hate san antoinio highways. if theres an open space for anything they say well lets put a highway right here.
Actually, 281 north of 1604 used to be basically two lanes..then four lanes..and now it's a whole "super street" set up, which believe it or not (I know, it's hard to do) is actually better than what it used to be. The development over there and around Stone Oak has exploded in recent years.

Hell, I remember when the west side of 1604 was actually just a two lane road from I-10 all the way around to 90 . It used to be called the "Death Road", because of the number of fatal accidents. Seemed almost like there was one a day, minimum, for a while.

You also have to realize, up until the late 90's, there were NO real major interchanges other than where 35 and 37 cross 90. The interchanges that existed were basically like afterthoughts. If you wanted to get off of 281 onto 410 you had to get on San Pedro and wade through light after light.

Now we have decent interchanges at major junctions, for the most part. 151 is done, but lacks a good interchange at 1604. 1604 is better, but the growth and traffic have overwhelmed it again. 281 north of 1604 is just an unholy clusterfuck of lights, traffic and idiots.

Definitely an area to avoid unless you absolutely have to go out that way.

Old 09-20-2013, 01:25 AM   #23
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by The PacRat View Post
You think SA is fun, drive up 35 to Austin at 6:00pm on a Friday. Then try to pry your testicles back out once your ride is over. I did that on a Honda Reflex once - never again.
+1 This is a really crappy place to be on a bike or a car for that matter. Why the hell there is no rail service between Dallas/Austin/San Antonio is beyond me.
PAPA
SJTRA
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:44 AM   #24
AirforceGSRider244 OP
Hardcore adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyload View Post
Actually, 281 north of 1604 used to be basically two lanes..then four lanes..and now it's a whole "super street" set up, which believe it or not (I know, it's hard to do) is actually better than what it used to be. The development over there and around Stone Oak has exploded in recent years.

Hell, I remember when the west side of 1604 was actually just a two lane road from I-10 all the way around to 90 . It used to be called the "Death Road", because of the number of fatal accidents. Seemed almost like there was one a day, minimum, for a while.

You also have to realize, up until the late 90's, there were NO real major interchanges other than where 35 and 37 cross 90. The interchanges that existed were basically like afterthoughts. If you wanted to get off of 281 onto 410 you had to get on San Pedro and wade through light after light.

Now we have decent interchanges at major junctions, for the most part. 151 is done, but lacks a good interchange at 1604. 1604 is better, but the growth and traffic have overwhelmed it again. 281 north of 1604 is just an unholy clusterfuck of lights, traffic and idiots.

Definitely an area to avoid unless you absolutely have to go out that way.
ive been taking I-10 whenever i need to go north here recently. not to bad of a route. still crazy though. i try to stay way away from 281 anywhere in san antonio. there just needs to be less people in san antonio.

the people here just blow my mind when it comes to stupidity and wrecklessness.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:00 AM   #25
Heyload
Remastered Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirforceGSRider244 View Post
ive been taking I-10 whenever i need to go north here recently. not to bad of a route. still crazy though. i try to stay way away from 281 anywhere in san antonio. there just needs to be less people in san antonio.

the people here just blow my mind when it comes to stupidity and wrecklessness.
Meh. Still better than driving in Cairo, Egypt.

Old 09-20-2013, 12:52 PM   #26
AirforceGSRider244 OP
Hardcore adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyload View Post
Meh. Still better than driving in Cairo, Egypt.
you bet it is! i bet its insane in egypt.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:34 PM   #27
ColdWater
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
+1 This is a really crappy place to be on a bike or a car for that matter. Why the hell there is no rail service between Dallas/Austin/San Antonio is beyond me.
This was proposed in the late 70's or early 80's. Don't remember exactly.
Connect DFW, Houston, S.A., and Austin. Great big triangle.
Was gonna be true Hi-speed trains.
The airline lobby killed it.
Probably construction lobby too.
Specifically Braniff if I remember right. Think they led the fight.
It was the last strike of a dying beast.
And that's why we can't have nice things!

Steve
Old 10-20-2013, 01:00 PM   #28
Horizontal
Goatin' Around

Oddometer: 272
Unfortunately, the drivers of San Antonio don't sound any different than those in the Bay Area. When I moved there back in '79 I started riding on freeways. Remember, the biggest vehicle back then was Chevy Suburban, or a Toyota Land Cruiser, both of which are tiny compared to modern versions. Plus, no cell phones or TV screens.

In short, things were civilized.

No more. Everyone is distracted and in a hurry and could care less about anyone else sharing the road with them — particularly motorcycles. I hate it.

About Texas, though. One thing that struck me was how unnecessarily high all the access ramps were; I mean, hundred feet in the air for no particular reason. I'm not crazy about heights and didn't appreciate the free tour of the upper atmosphere.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
~ Albert Einstein

1983 Honda XL250R • 1971 Yamaha DT1E 250 Enduro
Horizontal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 01:01 PM   #29
Horizontal
Goatin' Around

Oddometer: 272
When I said access ramps, I meant the transitions between the freeways, not the ramps to get on the freeways....

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
~ Albert Einstein

1983 Honda XL250R • 1971 Yamaha DT1E 250 Enduro
Horizontal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 06:25 PM   #30
khager
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdWater View Post
This was proposed in the late 70's or early 80's. Don't remember exactly.
Connect DFW, Houston, S.A., and Austin. Great big triangle.
Was gonna be true Hi-speed trains.
The airline lobby killed it.
Probably construction lobby too.
Specifically Braniff if I remember right. Think they led the fight.
It was the last strike of a dying beast.
And that's why we can't have nice things!

Steve

If there is a market for it. Let private enterprise build it! If not then don't use my tax dollars for it!
khager is offline   Reply With Quote