ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2013, 03:09 PM   #16
beltfed72 OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Oddometer: 30
I guess I need a throttle body assy. They`re almost 500, and I`ll burn it in my cul-de-sac for that. Anyone kmow where I might find a used one? I posted a WTB ad on here, but I`m not sure how many of these nightmares are even still around.
beltfed72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:00 PM   #17
JerryH
Banned
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Chandler, AZ
Oddometer: 5,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by beltfed72 View Post
I guess I need a throttle body assy. They`re almost 500, and I`ll burn it in my cul-de-sac for that. Anyone kmow where I might find a used one? I posted a WTB ad on here, but I`m not sure how many of these nightmares are even still around.
What makes you need a throttle body assembly? They are usually the most reliable parts on a fuel injected engine. It is usually the fuel pump or the ECU that fails. The ECU controls the fuel pump, throttle body, which includes an injector, and the ignition. $500 is considerably more than a new carb, and carbs can be easily and cheaply cleaned and repaired
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:15 AM   #18
cdwise
Studly Adventurer
 
cdwise's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Houston, TX/Breckenridge, CO
Oddometer: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by beltfed72 View Post
I guess I need a throttle body assy. They`re almost 500, and I`ll burn it in my cul-de-sac for that. Anyone kmow where I might find a used one? I posted a WTB ad on here, but I`m not sure how many of these nightmares are even still around.
Why guess? Spend $70-80 bucks on a diagnostic to find out for sure. FYI a good running condition SC 250 easily sells for mid $2,000. My brother recently sold his 2009 Sports City 250 with topcase & windshield for $3,500 approx. 6,000 miles. He was bought for his former fiancée and she rode it for the 7 months between purchase and their split, well maintained during that time period. Frankly, he got more than I would have expected but it did have OEM windshield and topcase and all of it was in perfect condition.
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:07 PM   #19
JerryH
Banned
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Chandler, AZ
Oddometer: 5,069
The problem I see here is that if it were carbed, and had a conventional electrical system, it would be easy to diagnose and repair yourself. Everybody raving about how great fuel injection is seems to miss this point.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:33 AM   #20
cdwise
Studly Adventurer
 
cdwise's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Houston, TX/Breckenridge, CO
Oddometer: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
The problem I see here is that if it were carbed, and had a conventional electrical system, it would be easy to diagnose and repair yourself. Everybody raving about how great fuel injection is seems to miss this point.
Get a life, we ALL know your view on carb vs FI. So far I've felt a little sorry for you but this has gotten ridiculous. The OP bought a scooter that has problems for less than half what it would be worth if it didn't have the issue he's experiencing.

Diagnosing most FI issues is pretty damned easy - take it to someone with a reader, plug it in and see what it says is wrong.

Finding a short is a PIA regardless of what type of electrical system it has on it. There are only 10,600,000 hits on google for troubleshooting motorcycle electrical problems. Hint the majority aren't anything to do with fuel injection. Tests like the ones on http://www.dansmc.com/electricaltesting.htm work on every bike I know of whether regardless of the electrical system on the bike. That's how they tracked down one on my Scarabeo which turned out not to be electrical after all but a problem with the factory security alarm that was preventing the scoot from starting. Dealer who diagnosed it confirmed by swapping the alarm out temporarily with one from another scoot. Problem solved. Oh, that same alarm system was used on both the carbed and fuel injected version of the scoot.

If it is the voltage regulator check http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...-or-electrical

Also a thread on brake switch failing causing inability to start the SC http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...rts+city+start

cdwise screwed with this post 09-13-2013 at 09:00 AM
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:27 AM   #21
beltfed72 OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwise View Post
Get a life, we ALL know your view on carb vs FI. So far I've felt a little sorry for you but this has gotten ridiculous. The OP bought a scooter that has problems for less than half what it would be worth if it didn't have the issue he's experiencing.

Diagnosing most FI issues is pretty damned easy - take it to someone with a reader, plug it in and see what it says is wrong.

Finding a short is a PIA regardless of what type of electrical system it has on it. There are only 10,600,000 hits on google for troubleshooting motorcycle electrical problems. Hint the majority aren't anything to do with fuel injection. Tests like the ones on http://www.dansmc.com/electricaltesting.htm work on every bike I know of whether regardless of the electrical system on the bike. That's how they tracked down one on my Scarabeo which turned out not to be electrical after all but a problem with the factory security alarm that was preventing the scoot from starting. Dealer who diagnosed it confirmed by swapping the alarm out temporarily with one from another scoot. Problem solved. Oh, that same alarm system was used on both the carbed and fuel injected version of the scoot.

If it is the voltage regulator check http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...-or-electrical

Also a thread on brake switch failing causing inability to start the SC http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...rts+city+start

Thanks for the links man, mucho appreciated. Breckenridge, huh? I wish I was back in Summit co. drinking REAL Fat tire watching the Aspen trees go crazy. What a terrible assault on the olfactory senses Houston must be after a period in Co. I`m pretty sure this things possessed, Matt Barr and Aprilia tech here in Atl has it at his shop now. He`s sure it`s the TB/ECU assy. and I cant find any used. I cant find anybody parting a scarabeo or sportcity 250...anywhere. Maybe that`s what I oughtta do with mine.
beltfed72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 04:21 PM   #22
cdwise
Studly Adventurer
 
cdwise's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Houston, TX/Breckenridge, CO
Oddometer: 892
Hope you get it sorted. It took some time with my 2007 Scarabeo 500 but that was complicated by the "mods" made by the previous owner who spliced in a stereo, changed the mapping with a power commander chip and some other things that I had undone. I ended up trading it in for a NOS 2009 model with full warranty and got almost what I paid for it as a trade-in. Perils of buying used but our Sports City has been a good workhorse for my husband and so. So much so that I'm seriously considering riding it in the Scooter Cannonball 2014 instead of my Vespa GTS 250 (same engine, small wheels) since its starting in Alaska on who knows what sort of roads.

FYI, Scarabeo doesn't come in a 250 at least in the US. Sports City shares the same engine as the BV 250 and Vespa GTS/GTV 250.

Yeah, I prefer Breckenridge but work/family requires time in Houston as well. Aspen haven't changed in Breck yet but shouldn't be too much longer and with luck I'll be riding the BV back up there in a couple of weeks.
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 05:59 PM   #23
JerryH
Banned
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Chandler, AZ
Oddometer: 5,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwise View Post
Get a life, we ALL know your view on carb vs FI. So far I've felt a little sorry for you but this has gotten ridiculous. The OP bought a scooter that has problems for less than half what it would be worth if it didn't have the issue he's experiencing.

Diagnosing most FI issues is pretty damned easy - take it to someone with a reader, plug it in and see what it says is wrong.

Finding a short is a PIA regardless of what type of electrical system it has on it. There are only 10,600,000 hits on google for troubleshooting motorcycle electrical problems. Hint the majority aren't anything to do with fuel injection. Tests like the ones on http://www.dansmc.com/electricaltesting.htm work on every bike I know of whether regardless of the electrical system on the bike. That's how they tracked down one on my Scarabeo which turned out not to be electrical after all but a problem with the factory security alarm that was preventing the scoot from starting. Dealer who diagnosed it confirmed by swapping the alarm out temporarily with one from another scoot. Problem solved. Oh, that same alarm system was used on both the carbed and fuel injected version of the scoot.

If it is the voltage regulator check http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...-or-electrical

Also a thread on brake switch failing causing inability to start the SC http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...rts+city+start
I have a life, and a good part of it involves riding, driving and working on motorcycles and cars. I am a mechanic, not a computer technician. Not only is working on this electronic crap not easy, it is no fun either, and the parts cost is ridiculous. My Zuma 125 has been up for sale for over a week, and if it doesn't sell for a reasonable price, I have a dealer willing to take it in trade for either a SYM HD200 or RV200. I will lose money, but I will have a scooter that is both freeway legal, and has no electronics. Having a vehicle with electronics just kills the emotional attachment I get from purely mechanical vehicles. My Stella is the least reliable of my three scooters, but it is the one I would keep if I had to get rid of two of them.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:07 PM   #24
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer
 
gogogordy's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Temecula, So. California
Oddometer: 1,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
I have a life, and a good part of it involves riding, driving and working on motorcycles and cars. I am a mechanic, not a computer technician. Not only is working on this electronic crap not easy, it is no fun either, and the parts cost is ridiculous. My Zuma 125 has been up for sale for over a week, and if it doesn't sell for a reasonable price, I have a dealer willing to take it in trade for either a SYM HD200 or RV200. I will lose money, but I will have a scooter that is both freeway legal, and has no electronics. Having a vehicle with electronics just kills the emotional attachment I get from purely mechanical vehicles. My Stella is the least reliable of my three scooters, but it is the one I would keep if I had to get rid of two of them.
Sounds like you need to step up your game jerry, "mechanics" are going the way of the 8-track tape...hope you can see the light at the end of your career or it's liable to be turned off for you.

Sorry man, thats just the way it goes.
__________________
Isn't it past your bedtime?
gogogordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:45 PM   #25
hexnut
just cruising
 
hexnut's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: middle Tennessee
Oddometer: 1,430
I'm not sure about the mechanic part.
__________________
2014 Harley Sportster 883 Superlow

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969
hexnut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:25 AM   #26
JerryH
Banned
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Chandler, AZ
Oddometer: 5,069
My official job title is "fleet services technician" and I do have to work on this crap, but it is not fun, plus they have a fortune in diagnostic equipment I don't have. But it's OK, my "career" ends next March 30th. I then plan to supplement my retirement income by working on vintage cars part time. I have already built a reputation in that field, and most people who do that kind of thing charge a lot more than I will. Around here (probably just like anywhere else) vintage car mechanics don't care a thing about what they are doing, just like new car "technicians", and just see it as a way to rip off vintage car owners.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:30 AM   #27
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer
 
gogogordy's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Temecula, So. California
Oddometer: 1,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
I have already built a reputation in that field, and most people who do that kind of thing charge a lot more than I will. Around here (probably just like anywhere else) vintage car mechanics don't care a thing about what they are doing, just like new car "technicians", and just see it as a way to rip off vintage car owners.
Sounds like reputation building is one of your predominant qualities....

Intereting to note that despite constantly griping about what things cost, you'll be paying your..."frugality" forward by devaluing your own feild of endeavor too by charging below market rates for your own services.

So, if I understand your value proposition, you are 1) the ONLY vintage mechanic who "cares" what he's doing 2) yet you can charge less than the others 3) you don't "rip people off" like other vintage car mechanics all do...

Im amazed you can still wrench what with that hand of yours patting yourself on the back like that all the time...
.
__________________
Isn't it past your bedtime?
gogogordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 03:47 PM   #28
JerryH
Banned
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Chandler, AZ
Oddometer: 5,069
Last post on this thread unless it has to do with the OPs question. And sorry to the OP for hijacking your thread.

I have been doing work on vintage cars on my own for over 15 years here in my area. I care about vintage vehicles (love them actually) and take the time and effort to do the job right. Only twice that I can remember I had someone come back that had an issue, and even though one of those issues was not really my fault, I fixed it for free anyway. Unlike most others, who do this sort of thing strictly for money, and just throw things together (same kind of work you would expect from Walmart or Pep Boys) It is also a hobby to me. I don't have to have the money, but it is always nice to have money. But there is a difference between charging someone a "fair" price for good work, and ripping someone off for crappy work. Most vintage vehicle owners who do not do their own work are either to old or disabled to, some don't know how. Most have been cheated many times, some to the point of giving up the hobby.


There is no such thing as devaluing the market. At least not on my scale. Even if I did it full time, I could not make a dent in all the con artists out there doing the same thing. However, this, along with many other markets, including the motorcycle market, could certainly use some "devaluing" Prices have simply gotten out of hand, for bikes, parts, and service. Because of the structure of the motorcycle business, most of the people in it are working for very low wages, while the one at the top gets rich. I don't see anything fair about that.

Capitalism is a great concept. But it is in danger of being destroyed by greed.

To the OP, don't give up yet. It may not be as bad as you think.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:44 AM   #29
beltfed72 OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Oddometer: 30
Big thanks to Aprilia for making a 6 year old model completely invisible as far as service/support goes. Another for having Helen Keller write your service manuals. I sincerely hope you pull the plug in America you indignant f%%%. My scooter is totaled because I hit a pot-hole...good job guys.
beltfed72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:58 AM   #30
cdwise
Studly Adventurer
 
cdwise's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Houston, TX/Breckenridge, CO
Oddometer: 892
Laugh

Whatever, personally I've been very pleased with our Aprilia scoots both the Scarabeo and BV. Obviously others don't feel the way you do since I can think of 3 that will be doing the 2013 cannonball - assuming my husband actually does go or if he doesn't that I decide to take the big wheel SC over my GTS.

But then other than one piss poor dealer in Denver who seems to cause more problems than they solve when I take something in I've had very good service done on ours. We are fortunate in Houston to have good factory trained mechanics and over in New Brunfels/Austin another if we happen to be out in the hill country riding the twisties.

I will admit that the Denver dealer is so bad we trailered our Colorado scoot back to Houston to repair the damage done by the Denver dealer. Oh well, just means I'll have to ride it back in a week or two. Pity about missing the best part of the riding season in Colorado but at least I'll get to leaf peep taking it back.
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014