Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2014, 09:02 AM   #1
Apc0243 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Question 03 or 07 Dakar - Preferences?

Hi everyone,

I'm flip flopping between 2 bikes - an 03' Dakar and an '07 Dakar. Both have 14k miles and are in good condition and about 300+ miles away, so in most respects they're identical.

However it's the little things that count, right?

The 03 has the old body and paint style and single spark. I'd follow this post, so there's a small bit of work to be done once I get the bike. This bike comes with happy trail denali panniers already mounted.

The 07 has the newer body, better gas mileage, and needs nothing. It comes with jesse odyssey II panniers already mounted.

Now here's the problem, the price difference is 1000$ between the two. I can't really justify jesse boxes being worth 1000 MORE than happy trail, when they retail new for the same price (within 50$). But both bikes aren't exactly the same.

So lets say I talk down the 07 and the difference now is only 500, is it reasonable to pay for the body and dual spark? Or am I being crazy and should just save the money. NOTE: I am budget conscious and saving 500 is very attractive to me, though not a deal breaker.

So, for my first post (Hi everyone!!), I need some advice!

Thanks everyone!
Apc0243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 12:17 PM   #2
JDUBinCO
Mass Centralized

Oddometer: 50
Newer bike period. Less aged rubber and parts are generally easier to find and will be for a longer time.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:06 PM   #3
sw3dl1
DR Don

Oddometer: 499
Buy the 2007. Dual spark, newer bike, and the Jesse boxes are a lot better then the Happy Trails stuff, (Ive had both). In my book, when all things are equal, it's always better to buy newer if you can. If you look to the future, the '07 will be always be worth more when you want to sell it.
Though both bikes seem to be the same, there are minor diffrences that make the 07 a better value ( the front end down tube sliders for instance).
sw3dl1 is offline   Reply With Quote