User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2014, 05:56 AM   #1
chambersc OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 402
Dual Sporting my 2003 WR250F for son

So the boy is turning 14 this summer and is chomping at the bit to street ride. He's been in the dirt now for 6 years. This year I put him on my WR250 and now he's not giving it back. We eventually realized he wasnt going back and sold his TTR. Ive decided I'm going to dual sport it rather than buy something else for him to street ride. He loves the bike, is familiar with it, we already own it, and its proven to be reliable as a hammer. (Frankly, its the best dirt bike Ive ever owned and I've always kind of wanted it DS anyway)

So I'm putting the Baja Designs kit on it, putting a set of DOT tires on it, changing the sprockets front and rear for a better street ratio, Putting a Trail Tech speedo kit on it, but what about a Key? Has anyone found a plug and play swap for taking out the factory push button switch on those and installing an ignition key?

His high school isnt too bad, but I still dont want a bike out there in the parking lot with no key on it.

I see some universal ones on the internet for sale but has anyone dealt with them or found a Yamaha 4 wheeler ignition that might swap right in? Seems to me that Yamaha would have a universal plug for some of those things?
Old 05-24-2014, 06:00 AM   #2
bryantjt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,047
I've used the Baja Designs 2 wire key and the Sicass 4 wire key on my KTM. The advantage to the 4 wire is that it allows a second circuit so you can cut all power as well with the key, not just ground out the ignition.
bryantjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 06:03 AM   #3
chambersc OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I havent pulled the ignition out of this one yet to look at it and see if it is a 4 or 2 wire yet. I will check those out. Did they come with some sort of bracket for mounting it as well? The ones I'm seeing on eBay are just a switch. No bracket at all.
Old 05-24-2014, 06:12 AM   #4
bryantjt
Beastly Adventurer

I'm not familiar with the WR but if you are getting the Baja Designs kit it should come with the 2 wire key.

Alternatively, I took the BD wiring harness off my KTM and switched over to all Tusk and Sicass products. My harness was shot and the connectors were corroded and breaking. The Tusk conversion was cheaper than fixing the BD kit.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...%20light%20kit

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...m=sicass%20key

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...rm=dot%20light

Just a couple different options for you. I'm not sure if the newer BD kits are different but mine was "live" all the time unless you turned the headlight switch to off and even then the E-start button was still "hot" with or without the key on. This led to multiple instances where I left the lights on or drained the battery trying to start it because you needed to have the key on, and lights on, or key off and lights off.

With the change to Tusk/Sicass, my key makes the light circuit "live" as well as grounds out the ignition, I wired the headlight switch so that "off" and "low" light up my low beam and "high" activates high obviously. The switch by default has an off position but I didn't want to accidentally turn my lights off when switching from high to low at night.
Old 05-24-2014, 06:19 AM   #5
chambersc OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Wow, really good info. Thanks. I'll look into all of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantjt View Post
I'm not familiar with the WR but if you are getting the Baja Designs kit it should come with the 2 wire key.

Alternatively, I took the BD wiring harness off my KTM and switched over to all Tusk and Sicass products. My harness was shot and the connectors were corroded and breaking. The Tusk conversion was cheaper than fixing the BD kit.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...%20light%20kit

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...m=sicass%20key

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...rm=dot%20light

Just a couple different options for you. I'm not sure if the newer BD kits are different but mine was "live" all the time unless you turned the headlight switch to off and even then the E-start button was still "hot" with or without the key on. This led to multiple instances where I left the lights on or drained the battery trying to start it because you needed to have the key on, and lights on, or key off and lights off.

With the change to Tusk/Sicass, my key makes the light circuit "live" as well as grounds out the ignition, I wired the headlight switch so that "off" and "low" light up my low beam and "high" activates high obviously. The switch by default has an off position but I didn't want to accidentally turn my lights off when switching from high to low at night.
Old 05-25-2014, 05:09 AM   #6
bryantjt
Beastly Adventurer

The BD and Sicass both came with brackets.
Old 08-16-2014, 07:47 PM   #7
chambersc OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Started the process tonight!

Tusk kit from Rocky Mountain ATV, Shinko 705tires, Trail Tech Vaporspeedo kit, etc. Its on its way to being legal.

Old 08-16-2014, 07:51 PM   #8
chambersc OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Strobe tail light

Even sunk a police strobe inside the factory tail light for a little extra stopping light power.
Old 08-16-2014, 08:35 PM   #9
Kyron
Oncler Inds

Oddometer: 270
Also get a cable lock for when he parks it at school.... so it can't be pushed away.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:38 AM   #10
chambersc OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Its done! Works like a champ and I installed one of the Cyclops LED headlight bulbs in it (ADV member Off Road Ryder) and man that thing is bright with a lot less current draw.
Old 08-18-2014, 05:45 PM   #11
SBG
Neville1 to TT boys

Oddometer: 356

AWESOME! This is what 'm currently doing with my 03 WR also. Just had Factory Connection revalve and respring my susepnsion.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:55 AM   #12
SBG
Neville1 to TT boys

Oddometer: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by chambersc View Post
Tusk kit from Rocky Mountain ATV, Shinko 705tires, Trail Tech Vaporspeedo kit, etc.
Anything about the kit you didn't like, would change, or recommend other parts?
Old 08-19-2014, 01:26 PM   #13
KGSloan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
i just did this on my 2004wr450f...

i was able to use a key switch from a yamaha TTR 125 actually....perhaps look into that to replace the push button on/off
Old 08-20-2014, 07:00 AM   #14
chambersc OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBG View Post
Anything about the kit you didn't like, would change, or recommend other parts?
I used the Siccass Racing Keyswitch, its a little high priced but it worked well.
Be mindful that the headlight is AC powered and not DC if you do a conversion to LED like I did.
The Tusk kit worked pretty damn well, actually. The mirrors are a bit cheesy but thats not surprising, it comes with one and I bought the right side too.
I bought a spare hydraulic brake light banjo switch so either the front or rear brake could activate the brake lights. (additional $15)

All in all, its pretty straightforward and simple, just takes a bit of time.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:27 AM   #15
smokeeater495
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 605
Get a cable lock or brake rotor lock. A keyed ignition will not deter someone from rolling it away.