ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2014, 07:54 AM   #196
daveburton
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Oddometer: 179
power and seat height

Hi,

Bike looks great, just as the 1200 did.

Have you considered engine upgrades for more power. It seems like there are quite a lot of performance upgrade options on the market especially in the US.

Could a good and comfortable ADV bike be built with an 830 seat height in your opinion.

What do you think about 19/17 wheels and tubeless rims (not sealed) for adventure touring.

thanks, dave
daveburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 10:23 AM   #197
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer
 
Gryphon12's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Carnation, WA USA
Oddometer: 1,320
You need to read this thread. Discussion of power mods and why JaumeV hasn't applied them yet is described in detail.
__________________
1990 Honda NT-650 Hawk-GT

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 03:34 PM   #198
jaumev OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
jaumev's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Barcelona
Oddometer: 1,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveburton View Post
Hi,

Bike looks great, just as the 1200 did.

Have you considered engine upgrades for more power. It seems like there are quite a lot of performance upgrade options on the market especially in the US.

Could a good and comfortable ADV bike be built with an 830 seat height in your opinion.

What do you think about 19/17 wheels and tubeless rims (not sealed) for adventure touring.

thanks, dave
Hi Dave, thanks, I'm glad you like it, I'm very pleased with it.

I'm tempted with the engine upgrades but also I'm concerned about relliability.
It works really nice with the mods I did but we'll see in the future... you never know.

I don't understand the question about the seat. Do you mean it is too high?

Adventure touring can be very different for you or to me. The wheels 19/17 are a good compromise if you do not want to do serious off road. Specially the 21" front rim make the difference in dirt tracks.
Also you can have more off road tires to choose if you have a 18" rear wheel.

Cheers
__________________
Bikes, trips and farkling at http://traildreamer.com/

Yamaha Super Ténéré off road modifications: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=797977
jaumev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 07:18 PM   #199
El Forko
On the road
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Location: Somewhere in S America
Oddometer: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaumev View Post
Hi!
I'm really jelous about your trip

IMHO the best modifications are the exhaust, filter and PC. This makes a big improvement to the bike response... but you already have this.

Next is the front suspension but as you say is not cheap. Even if you find some YZ forks, you need to have a front rim, hub, spokes, brake disk, caliper, triple clamp... not easy!
If you have the money probably the easiest way is to go to OTR, they have the complete set and you wont have any troubles.

With this new front set up the handling in off road improves a lot. You can feel how the suspension work hard but the control of the bike is easy. Riding its a pleasure, I enjoy it a lot!.

If you change the fork probably the best thing is to keep the complete OEM wheel and have a better rim. You can sell the OEM wheel or keep it to the day you want to sell the bike.

I have a new 18" rear wheel but I didn't test it yet. I'm waiting to the disc and sprokett to fix it. I will tell you my feelings when I can ride with it.

Cheers!
Thanks for the low down, Jaume. What I really want to do is send my Tenere home and buy a CCM GP450 in Canada and ride to Mexico, but the total cost of that is crazy!!! Hence why I am thinking of treating myself to a Tenere upgrade.

The more I've ridden her our here on the dirt roads (and on the long stretches of carretera, to be fair) the more I enjoy her, even though she's heavy. I'm riding her hard on the dirt and gravel now, fully loaded with soft panniers and a holdall, and she feels really secure. With a new front end, I guess I can ride even harder!!!

Paul
El Forko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 08:40 PM   #200
daveburton
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Oddometer: 179
ADV touring

Thanks for the response JaumeV,

I am putting together an ADV bike and would like a lower seat, hence my question ref wheel sizes as well. I've asked various people about the difference between 19 and 21 and have had various responses from no difference offroad for my application to absolutely necessary.

I have a KTM 690 but was thinking about a Yamaha Tenere for reliability. I will need to make changes however I'm not in the same league as you are from a riding skills point of view and I ride differently on overland trips. I have both GSA and S10 (x2). I would like to boost the power to 60+ HP if possible and convert it back towards road rather than offroad. I want to be able to use it on rough gravel roads carrying a lot of stuff but need to be able to touch the ground.

I rode a 660XT 5500 miles through south America so I have some understanding of the bike. I needed to drop the seat about 25mm, possibly a bit more however I rode it standard in the end but it's a lot lower than the Tenere.

In short I want 12 more HP and a low seat in ADV trim. Maybe I'll work the KTM but the reliability is a concern. I know that Noah has covered huge distance but he's very competent and has both mechanical and electrical skills to make the issues he's had look trivial. For most people I don't think they would not be so easy to manage.

Looking forward to further updates on the bike,

thanks, dave.
daveburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 01:42 PM   #201
jaumev OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
jaumev's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Barcelona
Oddometer: 1,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Forko View Post
Thanks for the low down, Jaume. What I really want to do is send my Tenere home and buy a CCM GP450 in Canada and ride to Mexico, but the total cost of that is crazy!!! Hence why I am thinking of treating myself to a Tenere upgrade.

The more I've ridden her our here on the dirt roads (and on the long stretches of carretera, to be fair) the more I enjoy her, even though she's heavy. I'm riding her hard on the dirt and gravel now, fully loaded with soft panniers and a holdall, and she feels really secure. With a new front end, I guess I can ride even harder!!!

Paul
Hi Paul

The CCM is a very nice bike but IMHO the 450 engine is too small for an adventure bike... normally are enduro or mx engines that have very little oil and needed frecuent service.

With the suspensions upgrades riding the 660 is really nice, you can ride really hard with a high level of security. If you can find some suspensions it really worth it!
__________________
Bikes, trips and farkling at http://traildreamer.com/

Yamaha Super Ténéré off road modifications: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=797977
jaumev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 02:11 PM   #202
jaumev OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
jaumev's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Barcelona
Oddometer: 1,482
Hi Dave

I don’t think you need the 21” if you don’t do a very serious off road. I had a 19” in my previous BMW GSA and Tenere 1200 and did lot of crazy off road trips with the 19”. But if you had the Super Ten, GSA and 690 you might have the answers.
If you want to convert it towards road you might consider the ABS version wich has shorter suspensions so you can reach the floor. Also, why not the XT660R? this is more road oriented.

With the new exhaust, filter and power commander the bike is 56,56HP. The bike changes a lot. The revs go up really quick and the bike is really fun to drive, probably this is enough if you ride solo. See this post: http://traildreamer.com/curvas-de-potencia-de-la-660/

I love the KTM 690, probably the best bike in this category but as you I’m not very competent in mechanical skills. I’m surrounded by friends with KTM and I my experience is that they to service too often.

Cheers
__________________
Bikes, trips and farkling at http://traildreamer.com/

Yamaha Super Ténéré off road modifications: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=797977
jaumev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 04:11 AM   #203
jaumev OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
jaumev's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Barcelona
Oddometer: 1,482
New tire arrive: Michelin Desert race: http://traildreamer.com/en/moooolaaaaaa/


__________________
Bikes, trips and farkling at http://traildreamer.com/

Yamaha Super Ténéré off road modifications: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=797977
jaumev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:21 AM   #204
El Forko
On the road
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Location: Somewhere in S America
Oddometer: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaumev View Post
Hi Paul

The CCM is a very nice bike but IMHO the 450 engine is too small for an adventure bike... normally are enduro or mx engines that have very little oil and needed frecuent service.

With the suspensions upgrades riding the 660 is really nice, you can ride really hard with a high level of security. If you can find some suspensions it really worth it!
I thought the same, until my girlfriend rode a DR200 from Chile all the way through the Peruvian mountains with me!! The Ten is great when you're riding the roads and dirt tracks, but when if came to fording difficult rivers or crossing big rockfalls blocking the road, the Suzuki felt like a bicycle compared to the heavy Ten!! I'm a convert to the philosophy of "Light is Might".
__________________
Blogging @ www.horcamoto.com
El Forko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:39 AM   #205
jaumev OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
jaumev's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Barcelona
Oddometer: 1,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Forko View Post
I thought the same, until my girlfriend rode a DR200 from Chile all the way through the Peruvian mountains with me!! The Ten is great when you're riding the roads and dirt tracks, but when if came to fording difficult rivers or crossing big rockfalls blocking the road, the Suzuki felt like a bicycle compared to the heavy Ten!! I'm a convert to the philosophy of "Light is Might".

The problem is that most of the 450 engines are design for mx or enduro bikes when service every few miles or hours of ride is not a problem. You won't like to change the oil 100 times in ans adventure trip...

I think the Suzuki DR400Z is your bike. It has enough power but the old fashioned engine is made for last a lot.
__________________
Bikes, trips and farkling at http://traildreamer.com/

Yamaha Super Ténéré off road modifications: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=797977
jaumev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:48 AM   #206
El Forko
On the road
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Location: Somewhere in S America
Oddometer: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaumev View Post
The problem is that most of the 450 engines are design for mx or enduro bikes when service every few miles or hours of ride is not a problem. You won't like to change the oil 100 times in ans adventure trip...

I think the Suzuki DR400Z is your bike. It has enough power but the old fashioned engine is made for last a lot.
Having de-tuned the G450X engine, CMM are saying the service interval is 5000 miles. And I do my Tenere every 5000km. On that basis, I'm in!! (Except I can't afford one at the moment!!)
__________________
Blogging @ www.horcamoto.com
El Forko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 11:13 AM   #207
jaumev OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
jaumev's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Barcelona
Oddometer: 1,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Forko View Post
Having de-tuned the G450X engine, CMM are saying the service interval is 5000 miles. And I do my Tenere every 5000km. On that basis, I'm in!! (Except I can't afford one at the moment!!)
Well... if the service os this 450 is every 5000 miles this is like the DRZ.
Good!
__________________
Bikes, trips and farkling at http://traildreamer.com/

Yamaha Super Ténéré off road modifications: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=797977
jaumev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 11:19 PM   #208
jaumev OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
jaumev's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Barcelona
Oddometer: 1,482
.

New chain... http://traildreamer.com/en/nueva-cadena-d-i-d/



__________________
Bikes, trips and farkling at http://traildreamer.com/

Yamaha Super Ténéré off road modifications: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=797977
jaumev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 08:31 AM   #209
jaumev OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
jaumev's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Barcelona
Oddometer: 1,482
.
.

At last!! trying the 18" rear wheel : http://traildreamer.com/en/ahora-si-...trasera-de-18/
.








__________________
Bikes, trips and farkling at http://traildreamer.com/

Yamaha Super Ténéré off road modifications: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=797977
jaumev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 12:20 PM   #210
motorrat
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Oddometer: 78
Nice!
What`s the weight of the bike in this configuration?
motorrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014