Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2013, 10:20 AM   #76
jaumev OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveburton View Post
It's great that you have assistance from OTR. Will you use any of their engine tuning upgrades.

I now have a KTM but was thinking of a possible 660 with the OTR engine upgrade for an ADV bike.

Might be problematic but it would completely transform the motorcycle.

dave
Not in the first stage. I prefer to know the bike before such an important transformation. But I really like the idea, as you say their engine tuning must transform the bike a lot.
In desember I'm going to Morocco in a long trip, probably when I'm coming back I would do the engine.
Why do you think it might be problematic?

Yamaha Super Ténéré off road modifications: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=797977
jaumev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:52 PM   #77
daveburton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
OTR engine mods

I think they have quite a radical set of tuning gear with a 790 bore/stroke kit etc, in general when you move away from standard engine design reliability tends to suffer. If you had been doing this when you did the S10 I might have been tempted but timing meant I went for a KTM, Expensive and needs a lot to become and ADV bike especially for me as I need to drop the seat height quite a bit.

I would like to see high 60s for HP for the Yamaha and that would need the most aggressive tuning kit they offer.

A 660 with 20 kilos less weight, slightly bigger tank and 70hp would probably be a fantastic bike if it could retain the reliability and finish of the original bike. A friend on mine covered over 60,000 miles on his standard (quite a few farkles) bike without any engine problems.

I'm not in the same league as you when it comes to this stuff so my opinion needs to be taken accordingly.

Thanks for an interesting set of reports, I've seen some of your offroad videos, looks great around Barcelona.

cheers dave
daveburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:23 AM   #78
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,206
Quote:
I think they have quite a radical set of tuning gear with a 790 bore/stroke kit etc, in general when you move away from standard engine design reliability tends to suffer. If you had been doing this when you did the S10 I might have been tempted but timing meant I went for a KTM, Expensive and needs a lot to become and ADV bike especially for me as I need to drop the seat height quite a bit.

I would like to see high 60s for HP for the Yamaha and that would need the most aggressive tuning kit they offer.
FWIW, it's not really worth chasing the big power/cc upgrade on that bike - yes you could feasibly get somewhere around 65bhp with a big bore/valves and other mechanical mods, but the cost really isn't worth it...

In my experience, the most dramatic improvement to that engine/bike can be had for a few hundred £££/€€€€s - fit the DNA stage 2 airbox lid and air filter / remove the AIS and Lambda sensor / fit a single more open pipe (I used the SR pipe from OTR, without the cat) / and get a Powercommander V with either OTR's map or ideally a custom map with your bike set up on a dyno.

Set up that way, it offers far better throttle response and overall power across the who rev range, and really boosts the mid range and top end power - it will rev right up to the limiter with a noticeable powerband between 5000-7000rpm. The fuel economy will suffer around 15%, but the bike suddenly feels alive rather than riding through cotton wool...

Not that there is anything wrong with the stock bike of course, the standard fuelling and economy is excellent, and I rode mine for 23,000 miles before rebuilding it into the rally bike, and I'd travel anywhere again on a stock one... but if you are looking to pep the bike's performance, I recommend those basic mods before spending big bucks chasing ever diminishing incremental increases?

Jx

JMo (& piglet) screwed with this post 10-11-2013 at 12:31 AM
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:31 PM   #79
jaumev OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

A 660 with 20 kilos less weight, slightly bigger tank and 70hp would probably be a fantastic bike if it could retain the reliability and finish of the original bike. A friend on mine covered over 60,000 miles on his standard (quite a few farkles) bike without any engine problems.

I'm not in the same league as you when it comes to this stuff so my opinion needs to be taken accordingly.

Thanks for an interesting set of reports, I've seen some of your offroad videos, looks great around Barcelona.

cheers dave
Hi Dave
I change the Super Ténéré for the 660 looking for a lighter/simple bike that offers the possibility to ride off road trips in remote places. I’m not looking for rally bike. One of the things I like best of the small Ténéré is its reliability, The mileage from your friend is quite normal, ee a previous post from GezwindeSpoed, he did 165.000 km in his bike!. (http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....0&postcount=43 )

I would like to go step by step. First of all I like to do all the “easy” mods that save weight, improve the suspensions and “open” the engine (stage 2 filter, Power Comander, exhaust, etc.). Only after I tested the bike properly I would decide if I go to the engine tuning.
If I can get the weight down by 10/15 kg and increase around 5 to 10HP I think it can be enough to have a great bike.
I hope to go to Morocco this December, this is a perfect place to know the weakness of a bike, really hard place to ride, when I come back I would have a good idea what to do.
I spoke with Thorsten Haberkamm from OTR and he said they have a 660 with the engine tuning and lot of miles in it without any trouble. I trust him, so if I realiced the bike needs more power I would go for the big bore.
What KTM do you have? I was very tempted to have a 690, I love it... but its a KTM...
Yes... I live 70 km north Barcelona, near the Pyrenees... I’m lucky, lovely area.
Thanks a lot for your comments
Cheers :

Yamaha Super Ténéré off road modifications: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=797977
Old 10-11-2013, 12:40 PM   #80
jaumev OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet) View Post
FWIW, it's not really worth chasing the big power/cc upgrade on that bike - yes you could feasibly get somewhere around 65bhp with a big bore/valves and other mechanical mods, but the cost really isn't worth it...

In my experience, the most dramatic improvement to that engine/bike can be had for a few hundred £££/€€€€s - fit the DNA stage 2 airbox lid and air filter / remove the AIS and Lambda sensor / fit a single more open pipe (I used the SR pipe from OTR, without the cat) / and get a Powercommander V with either OTR's map or ideally a custom map with your bike set up on a dyno.

Set up that way, it offers far better throttle response and overall power across the who rev range, and really boosts the mid range and top end power - it will rev right up to the limiter with a noticeable powerband between 5000-7000rpm. The fuel economy will suffer around 15%, but the bike suddenly feels alive rather than riding through cotton wool...

Not that there is anything wrong with the stock bike of course, the standard fuelling and economy is excellent, and I rode mine for 23,000 miles before rebuilding it into the rally bike, and I'd travel anywhere again on a stock one... but if you are looking to pep the bike's performance, I recommend those basic mods before spending big bucks chasing ever diminishing incremental increases?

Jx
Hi JMo
I really love what you did in your 660, you are an inspiration.
As you can see in my previous post I’m going to do exactly what you say. Probably it's enough to have a great bike.
I’m waiting to receive all this parts from OTR, the only difference from you is going to be the exhaust as they are going to send me a Akrapovich 2 in one.
Are you still racing?, any new project / bike?

Thanks for posting here

Cheers!

Old 10-12-2013, 06:49 PM   #81
daveburton
Gnarly Adventurer

Dave's KTM

I have a 2013 690R with a 40mm Koubalink and most of the Rally Raid upgrades fitted by Rally Raid, it's in the UK.

I still need to drop the height more and get soft luggage. I might also add the rear 5ltr tank to take it to 27ltrs. I think it's doing about 14 miles/ltr which I think is incredible.

Also need, seat, shorten stands, possibly better lights, possibly Rox risers, GPS wiring etc. That should be it.

I need to do some miles on it to make sure it's all OK then try to sort out a ride through Russia. That's the plan but not sure if it'll pan out due to time. We are currently on a ride in Argentina and about 150 miles south of Aguazu falls on my GSA.

I rode a 660XT 2 up with luggage from Ushuaia to La Paz, 5,500 miles. Mixed feelings for me, I loved the ride and the bike did well but was hard work at times especially at 14,000'. Broke my foot on the way to Uyuni and had to quit in La Paz. The bike was doing between 9 and 11 miles/ltr, the same as my GSA and S10s do if not a bit less, I was using a lot (most) of it's power a lot of the time without killing it so it was not in its efficient range much.

I would have bought the Tenere if it had more power I think, that's really what swung the KTM decision.

Do you have any views on the KTM reliability compared to the Yamaha.

Looking forward to seeing your bike develop.

Thanks for the feedback JMo

cheers dave
Old 10-13-2013, 10:53 AM   #82
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaumev View Post
Hi JMo
I really love what you did in your 660, you are an inspiration.
As you can see in my previous post I’m going to do exactly what you say. Probably it's enough to have a great bike.
I’m waiting to receive all this parts from OTR, the only difference from you is going to be the exhaust as they are going to send me a Akrapovich 2 in one.
Are you still racing?, any new project / bike?

Thanks for posting here

Cheers!
Hi Jaumev - thank you for your kind words, and similarly I love what you've done with your 1200 and now planning with the 660...

As you say, Thorsten is a great guy and will be a huge help with the development of your bike, and those 'basic' mods really are the thing that will make the most noticeable difference - I'm sure you will be both impressed with how the bike feels, and more than happy with the results.

I have not been racing for a couple of years now, but my WR450 (from Dakar) is rebuilt and ready to go - although I am planning on selling that to finance my racing next season and ultimately looking at Dakar 2015 now...

Similarly I finally sold my XT660Z last year - it went to a good home, and the new owner kept in touch and is very pleased with it... this was the final paint job before it was sold:

As for a new project... well, I'm renovating my Honda XR400 at the moment, and feel a bit of a Baja racer/ultralight rally bike might be order... we'll see!

Looking forward to seeing your updates!

Jenny xx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 02:41 PM   #83
jaumev OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I have a 2013 690R with a 40mm Koubalink and most of the Rally Raid upgrades fitted by Rally Raid, it's in the UK.

I still need to drop the height more and get soft luggage. I might also add the rear 5ltr tank to take it to 27ltrs. I think it's doing about 14 miles/ltr which I think is incredible.

Also need, seat, shorten stands, possibly better lights, possibly Rox risers, GPS wiring etc. That should be it.

I need to do some miles on it to make sure it's all OK then try to sort out a ride through Russia. That's the plan but not sure if it'll pan out due to time. We are currently on a ride in Argentina and about 150 miles south of Aguazu falls on my GSA.

I rode a 660XT 2 up with luggage from Ushuaia to La Paz, 5,500 miles. Mixed feelings for me, I loved the ride and the bike did well but was hard work at times especially at 14,000'. Broke my foot on the way to Uyuni and had to quit in La Paz. The bike was doing between 9 and 11 miles/ltr, the same as my GSA and S10s do if not a bit less, I was using a lot (most) of it's power a lot of the time without killing it so it was not in its efficient range much.

I would have bought the Tenere if it had more power I think, that's really what swung the KTM decision.

Do you have any views on the KTM reliability compared to the Yamaha.

Looking forward to seeing your bike develop.

Thanks for the feedback JMo

cheers dave
Hi Dave!
I love the KTM690 with the Rally Raid upgrades. If I had bought the bike with the heart I would have that bike. I love the “ready to race” KTM philosophy and their light and powerful bikes but I had 3 Yamahas with any trouble at all and bad experiences with KTM (bad luck??). That’s why I decided for the 660 for my adventure trips.

Probably the 660 need more power with two but I’m always traveling alone.

Wow!! You’re a great traveler I'm envy you!!
I’ve got now some Chilean friends at home and took me a book from Chile… incredible country. I hope one day I can do a long trip in South America.
Please keep me update about your trips!!

Old 10-13-2013, 02:50 PM   #84
jaumev OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet) View Post
Hi Jaumev - thank you for your kind words, and similarly I love what you've done with your 1200 and now planning with the 660...

As you say, Thorsten is a great guy and will be a huge help with the development of your bike, and those 'basic' mods really are the thing that will make the most noticeable difference - I'm sure you will be both impressed with how the bike feels, and more than happy with the results.

I have not been racing for a couple of years now, but my WR450 (from Dakar) is rebuilt and ready to go - although I am planning on selling that to finance my racing next season and ultimately looking at Dakar 2015 now...

Similarly I finally sold my XT660Z last year - it went to a good home, and the new owner kept in touch and is very pleased with it... this was the final paint job before it was sold:

As for a new project... well, I'm renovating my Honda XR400 at the moment, and feel a bit of a Baja racer/ultralight rally bike might be order... we'll see!

Looking forward to seeing your updates!

Jenny xx
Hi Jenny
I’m glad you like the 1200, that was a big fun!

Yes, Thorsten is helping me a lot, everything is going to be easier thanks to his experience.

Good luck with your Dakar in 2015.. mustn’t be easy to found the sponsors in this difficult times. The 660 looks great with these colours

Cheers!!
Jaume

Old 10-14-2013, 02:59 AM   #85
jaumev OP
Beastly Adventurer

New toy arrived

Isn't it a beauty?

http://traildreamer.com/en/mira-que-cosa-mas-linda/

Old 10-16-2013, 02:43 PM   #86
jaumev OP
Beastly Adventurer

A big box arrived

... and the bike is starting to change... : http://traildreamer.com/en/primeras-...-otr-montadas/

Old 10-16-2013, 03:28 PM   #87
daveburton
Gnarly Adventurer

Travel

I like to travel by bike but my trips tend not to be too adventurous so I would class myself as an enthusiastic traveler rather than great.

I'll keep you updated though.

Thanks for the build report, very interesting and enjoyable.

dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaumev View Post
Hi Dave!
I love the KTM690 with the Rally Raid upgrades. If I had bought the bike with the heart I would have that bike. I love the “ready to race” KTM philosophy and their light and powerful bikes but I had 3 Yamahas with any trouble at all and bad experiences with KTM (bad luck??). That’s why I decided for the 660 for my adventure trips.

Probably the 660 need more power with two but I’m always traveling alone.

Wow!! You’re a great traveler I'm envy you!!
I’ve got now some Chilean friends at home and took me a book from Chile… incredible country. I hope one day I can do a long trip in South America.
Please keep me update about your trips!!

Old 10-17-2013, 01:45 AM   #88
jaumev OP
Beastly Adventurer

Lot of work in the garage, meanwhile the decoration is in progress: http://traildreamer.com/en/la-decora...gue-avanzando/

jaumev screwed with this post 10-17-2013 at 04:27 AM
Old 10-17-2013, 03:20 PM   #89
Edge
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 544
box

Great thread great ideas and so good that you share them with us now
WHATS IN THE BOX I need to know.
cheers got my enthusiasum up for my ride now
Old 10-18-2013, 12:27 AM   #90
jaumev OP
Beastly Adventurer

Ok, ok .... here it is the content of the box:

The first parts fixed:

http://traildreamer.com/en/primeras-...-otr-montadas/

http://traildreamer.com/en/protector...je-basculante/

But more things to fix it:

and another big box is comming...

What a stress!!!