Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2013, 01:29 AM   #1
Hareti OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Question Shipping 2 bikes to Iran to ride back to UK?

There's a chance of a possibility of an opportunity to make this trip happen. Not enough time to ride there and back so I'm thinking of meeting the bikes in Tehran and riding back via Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Kyrgystan, Kazakstan and Russia.

Anybody have any experience with shipping to Iran? Companies to approach or avoid? What are your thoughts?

http://www.hareti.co.uk/links.html
Hareti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 04:43 PM   #2
RTW Motorcycling
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Shipping into some countries can be an issue (eg. Brazil) and into others a piece of cake (eg. South Africa) so it is very country specific.

Having said that, you have to put up with the shipping risk that your bike will actually get there on the time you forecast and that you won't have any unforeseen circumstances clearing customs, etc.

On top of that though, Iran has a ton of visa risk, i.e. that you will actually be able to get your visa and that they will honour it when you finally get close. I don't know how it is at the moment for people from the UK, but for Canadians and Americans it is not easy to get in.

No idea if it is even feasible given those factors, but as you look into shipping, you may want to look at shipping back, out of the country as your first choice. That way you can still leave, and have a great trip and if the last leg doesn't work out, you can fall back on plan b, (i.e. ride back, ship back from a different country, or leave bike and get back there later or find a mate to ride it back for you.) Best of luck, hope it all comes together for you.
RTW Motorcycling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:11 PM   #3
Hareti OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Thanks for the advice.

I agree with your thoughts on why return shipping is preferable but the reason I'm thinking of shipping the bikes there instead is that my dad is travelling overland in a camper van with an Iranian guy and his wife. When I heard of this I got to thinking and the plan to ride back was hatched. Due to time constraints, I would have to fly there and ride back with my dad.

http://www.hareti.co.uk/links.html
Hareti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:41 AM   #4
Mark Manley
On my way

Oddometer: 625
It might be easier to ship to Turkey and ride on from there if you have time.

"You've got to think for yourselves! You're all individuals!"-Brian of Nazareth
Mark Manley is offline   Reply With Quote