User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2013, 11:45 PM   #1
vt1099ace OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Battle Hacks!

Ok, not sure if this belongs here or under hacks...but anyone have a sidecar on their scooters and if so how about a pic and you opinion of it? What you learned, road stories, what ever...
I ask because I've been toying with the idea of adding one.
vt1099ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:58 AM   #2
sealsam
Sam...I am.

Oddometer: 1,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by vt1099ace View Post
Ok, not sure if this belongs here or under hacks...but anyone have a sidecar on their scooters and if so how about a pic and you opinion of it? What you learned, road stories, what ever...
I ask because I've been toying with the idea of adding one.
Not sure where you're at in CA, but here is a long standing hack rally in the L.A. area...

http://classic-harley.info/?p=1447

It is not just HD's, it could give you some idea's or at least talk to some folks.

Post pics when done, sounds fun.
sealsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:15 AM   #3
vt1099ace OP
Gnarly Adventurer

north cali...about 40 miles north of sacramento (that's about 390 mles north of LA!)

all the good stuff is waaaaay down there....
Old 09-09-2013, 10:04 AM   #4
gumshoe4
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
Probably won't help much, as I don't have a hack, but I've thought about it myself.

About two years ago, I happened to be in the Tacoma area and decided to hunt down DMC sidecars. Jay posts regularly over in the Hacks section. I just kind of dropped in over there. Jay was there and he greeted me, showed me all around the shop and also several hacks in progress being prepped there. He spent about an hour with me talking hacks.

At the time, I had a BMW R1100R and the Honda Silverwing scooter. Jay explained that he could hack either of those bikes and that they had the attachment/subframe kits for both. He was really interested in hacking the SWing. He said that the SWing had more than enough power to accommodate the sidecar and the conversion was not difficult.

Based on that conversation and the fact that I love my SWing and have no intention of getting rid of it in the foreseeable future, I might seriously consider creating my first hack rig with it at some point...probably go with DMC.

Here is DMC's website:

http://www.dmcsidecars.com/

I believe that Texas sidecar also hacks SWings:

http://www.texassidecars.com/silver-wing/

Hannigan may also do it...I've seen at least one photo of a SWing with a Hannigan sidecar on it...pretty slick rig.

http://www.hannigantrikes.com/product-type/sidecars/

Looks like Burgman 650s are used for hack tugs a lot also. I don't much about those, so you might want to do some checking around on the Burgman website:

http://burgmanusa.com/forums/index.php

From what I can see, the larger scoots probably do very well as hack tugs...don't know if that's directly responsive to your post, but at least wanted to provide you with some info...
gumshoe4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:25 PM   #5
vt1099ace OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I have the sidecar lined up, cozy offers a stieb style 10" wheel I can order through my stella dealer, and get it hooked up at the shop..

this one:
http://www.scooterworks.com/sidecar-...ucts-11587.php

but what about road stories? hack-ventures (adventures in hacking) all that...
Old 09-09-2013, 01:55 PM   #6
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,808
You can get a sidecar for the Genuine Stella and various vintage Vespas. I can't imagine the Stella having enough power to handle one. but it has been done many times.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:14 PM   #7
gumshoe4
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
One thing I forgot to mention is that driving (yes, that's the right term) a sidecar is very different from riding a motorcycle or scooter. You no longer lean or bank the bike to turn it and the handlebar becomes a "tiller"...point right, turn right, etc. The sidecar renders the entire package asymmetric, creating a situation where, under acceleration, it veers in one direction and when braked, veers in the opposite direction. Also, left turns are mostly a snap, because (in the US), centrifugal force goes to the outside...the sidecar wheel...and plants it firmly. Right turns, however, move the centrifugal force to the left, unweighting the sidecar and, if you're going fast enough, causing the wheel to come off the ground...known as flying the chair. While the chair is flying, maneuverability is negatively affected. Most of these handling quirks are resolved by weight shifting and transfer and careful attention to recommended speeds in corners.

I had the occasion to drive a sidecar rig on one occasion. It's very different and it's clear that if I ever decide to do the sidecar thing, I'm going to have to unlearn what I intuitively do while riding a two-wheel machine and relearn the sidecar "manual of arms." When I get serious about it, I am definitely going to take the S/TEP course...the nearest of which, for me, is run by Red Menace in Oregon. I suspect it will be well worth the investment of time and effort.

Just wanted to throw this in here...
gumshoe4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:41 PM   #8
vt1099ace OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I knew the whole counter steering motorcycle rules are toss out the window, have even seen sidecar races too (which are a real trip to see) for seeing how COG shifts in turns.
I hadn't counted on the weight effecting my 4t the way it does the 2t....the 4t by those I've talked to at least, since the only 2t i have experience with is my weed trimmer, the 4t's power band is way different.

To much weigh effect on my power will limit the roads i can use.

Seems To me once you get into the 400+cc range in scooters, the power is effectively a motorcycle and hack
I'd really want to learn more about lower cc scoots using them.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:37 AM   #9
Fast_Boy_Slim
Don't call me Wighty

Oddometer: 3,046
From my 2013 IOW scooter rally thread

Quote:
Treat your throttle and brakes like a pair of b**bies! You go grabbing them hard and you're going to get slapped. You want to massage them nice and smooth. That way the bike will kiss you. Chris Carr
Fast_Boy_Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:07 AM   #10
vt1099ace OP
Gnarly Adventurer

WOW! ISN'T THAT A KIDDIE RIDE CAR? COOOOOOOOL...
Old 09-10-2013, 09:53 AM   #11
AMAC1680
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 492
"They are all so cool I don't go to belive"
SYM RV200 EVO
Lance "Cali Classic" 125
AMAC1680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:02 AM   #12
driller
Twist and Go

Oddometer: 1,220
I had a Vespa sidecar mounted on my Allstate Cruisaire a looong time ago.
The hack was not set up properly and the front wheel would turn to the right if let go. With a passenger aboard the rig actually required a heavy grip on the bars and tires scrubbed off rapidly. Of course if it had been set up properly and balanced, the experience would have been better. A different way of piloting the scooter for sure.
At a Labor Day breakfast with a local scooter club two rigs showed up. One on a Stella, the other on a Vespa Sprint. Very neat!
2011 PCX 125
2006 Fly 150 "BlowFly 200"
driller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:00 PM   #13
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,691
I had a California Sidecar like the red/white one on the Lambretta in the above pic. It was on a Vespa P200E and worked well. I made a custom hub to use a the standard Vespa wheel on the sidecar instead of the 8" trailer wheel it came with. I put many thousands of miles on it and it worked fine. Reasonable top speed was about 45 mph unless going down hill with a tail wind. Sold the whole rig 20 some years ago for $600. Big mistake.
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:13 PM   #14
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,808
I just noticed all these scooters have the sidecar on the left, while Ural puts them on the right. I have seen sidecars on either side. What's the deal with that? does it make a difference?
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:35 PM   #15
Rugby4life
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
I just noticed all these scooters have the sidecar on the left, while Ural puts them on the right. I have seen sidecars on either side. What's the deal with that? does it make a difference?
It depends on who you want to get side-swiped in traffic, you or your passenger.