User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2013, 08:02 AM   #1
Kentucky OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,219
Daytona Beach to Los Angeles...GTi300 or BV500

My plan is to ride one of the scooters to the AMA Pro Grand National Championship at the LA County Fairgrounds in Pomona, Ca from my home in Daytona Beach.

Can't decide which one to ride. Both are excellent on the Interstate. I am doing the slab on the way out and two lanes only coming home after the Championship round.

My choices are 2012 Kymco GTi300 or 2009 Piaggio BV500. I have done 3000 plus mile tours on each of them. Both work exceptionally well.

Thoughts?
Barry
Old 09-09-2013, 06:06 PM   #2
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,610
well, nobody has mention nothing so I will start.

Get all the crap you thing you need, and see how it fits on, in and around each scooter. If comofort is the same, then take the one that can take your stuff the best and has better (lower) cost of travel, tires, mpg's, mph.

Think which one is less likely to break down and all the other stuff I mention, then you will have a winner.

I am guessing that both can do interstate (300 vs 500 cc)

Cheers, and do a Ride Report

Damasovi
Old 09-09-2013, 07:04 PM   #3
Dabears
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,149
Nice problem to have- deciding between which great scooter to take a long trip!

My only thought would be that the GTi is newer, and there are probably more Kymco dealers in the US now than Piaggio/Vespa dealers. Gives you greater access to parts/service and a three year newer scooter which would hopefully mean less possibility of breakdown.

Other than that, I'd go with whichever one makes you smile when you think about heading down some long empty road. Jealous I am.

2012 SYM HD200 Evo
2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:12 PM   #4
leewildwater
rrrrRide Man rrrrRide

Oddometer: 392
Just an fyi, I did San Diego to St Augustine to Nanatahala Gorge on the most beat up and ugly Burgman 400 you can imagine. It was rescued from a fire and and lots of the plastic melted away mostly around engine compartment and now servicing is so much easier. Though it never really requires any.

I stayed off interstates as much as possible. Cruised easily at 62.5 mph on level ground without head wind.

Had friends going to Baja and dared me to ride the thing cross country. Had them drop the scoot in So. Cal. with a friend and then I flew out and rode back. GREAT TRIP and good on you for going XC on a scoot.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:14 PM   #5
leewildwater
rrrrRide Man rrrrRide

Oddometer: 392
and in review, I say the 300 too small, 500 too big, 400 just right
Old 09-10-2013, 06:59 PM   #6
bikeridermark
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,112
Is either or both fuel-injected? The mountains and elevation, you know.
Sounds like a fun trip.
bikeridermark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:43 AM   #7
Kentucky OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeridermark View Post
Is either or both fuel-injected? The mountains and elevation, you know.
Sounds like a fun trip.
Both are injected. I'm thinking no replacement for displacement may rule the day. All loaded up the additional grunt of the big bore 500 would be beneficial.
Barry
Old 09-11-2013, 12:01 PM   #8
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 841
Can't speak about the Kymco but I've done 4,400 mile trips on my BV 500 without any issue. I did have the oil changed and rear tire replaced part way through the trip but that was when my routine maintenance required it. I've done 3,700 mile trips on the Scarabeo 500 - same engine as BV 500, different suspension and seat which I find more comfortable. An airhawk made a huge difference on the BV. :)

I do have saddle bag supports on the BV which I like since it gives me more points to secure loads and keeps soft saddlebags from rubbing on the paint. (AF1 Racing has them in stock last time I checked.) If that makes a difference.

I've got friends who do long distance touring on Kymco Xcitings which have been trouble free as well. So I would expect the Kymco GTi 300 to be equally trouble free. The Kymco reminds me of the Sports City which I found more comfortable than I had expected on the 1,700 mile ride from San Diego to Houston but given a choice I'd take the BV because it was a lot more comfortable than the Sports City. Another thought - where is the gas filler on the Kymco? Looks like it is under the seat which makes it more difficult to load and still have good access to fill it up. The BV has it in the small hump between the seat and the glovebox which means you don't have to fuss with moving saddlebags. Even if the seat will close with the saddlebags under it instead of over in my experience it usually means adjusting them almost every time you fill up the tank. I also find that a rollbag like the Biker's Friend that can double as a backrest makes a long ride much more comfortable but isn't particularly fill up friendly if you have to lift the set to fill the tank.

My suggestion is to go with whichever is more comfortable for you and will carry everything you need in an easy convenient manner.
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:52 PM   #9
alphaBETAdog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 273
I'd say it all depends on the color. If your GTi is that pukie yellow/gold color, then better take the BV!
alphaBETAdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:47 PM   #10
John Fabian
Fabe

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentucky View Post
Can't decide which one to ride. Both are excellent on the Interstate. I am doing the slab on the way out and two lanes only coming home
Flip a coin and go.
John Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:14 PM   #11
DiabloADV
Semi-Occasional

Oddometer: 2,175
What kinda wind screen do you have on the BV?

'91 Bill Holland Steel w/Dura Ace[/SIZE]
'01 Z3 3.0 Coupe. The Clownshoe.
DiabloADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:55 AM   #12
Kentucky OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloADV View Post
What kinda wind screen do you have on the BV?
Sweet Givi 106. Amazing aero.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:58 AM   #13
Kentucky OP
Beastly Adventurer

Interesting turn of events! Kymco USA is flying me from Daytona Beach to Spartenburg, SC to their headquarters on October 3rd. They have a new Xciting 500i that they want me to do the LA trip on. It will have a GoPro cockpit cam and a forward facing one. I am looking at routes now. I will likely Interstate out to Los Angeles from South Carolina then look for a nice two lane adventure coming home on the 500 to Daytona.

This should be fun. Any Xciting 500i owners who can share good info it might be helpful.
Barry
Old 09-17-2013, 08:15 AM   #14
Dabears
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,149
Quote:
Interesting turn of events! Kymco USA is flying me from Daytona Beach to Spartenburg, SC to their headquarters on October 3rd. They have a new Xciting 500i that they want me to do the LA trip on. It will have a GoPro cockpit cam and a forward facing one. I am looking at routes now. I will likely Interstate out to Los Angeles from South Carolina then look for a nice two lane adventure coming home on the 500 to Daytona.

This should be fun. Any Xciting 500i owners who can share good info it might be helpful.
Barry
Um, how did you manage that? Guessing there's something I've missed here?

2012 SYM HD200 Evo
2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:47 AM   #15
DandyDoug
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Quote:

Barry
You are one very lucky boy !!
Here's a thought; I am in central NC. depending on the route you choose maybe we could meet up and I'll do a day ride with you . I have a 2012 Burgman 650 , we could swap for a bit and you could do a comparison.
DandyDoug is offline   Reply With Quote