Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2013, 01:55 PM   #1
teaguenotes OP

Oddometer: 18
San Francisco to Seattle

So this is my first time posting a ride report and also my first time doing a larger ride...so bear with me and hope you enjoy.

My lady and baby decided to take a trip up to Seattle to visit family and get her motorcycle liscence, so I decided it would be a good time for me to try a real dual sport trip. I bought a DR650 about six months ago. It was all stock, but I set about getting it ready. I got the DR because after 4 years of riding and 4 different bikes I still had not gotten my hands dirty doing any maintenance. It was time to man up and learn how to work on bikes by trial and error. I bought the clymer manual for the DR and started on safety checks and basic service. Overall I was surprised that I didn't mess things up and that as long as I just followed instructions it was a lot easier than I thought it was going to be. The only main mistake I made is not investing in a torque wrench right away which led to snapping bolts off in my brand new front sprocket and having to take the trip on an old half worn sprocket. Frustrating, but nothing major and a good lesson learned. Mods done to the bike

IMS 5 gallon tank
Renasco seat
lowered foot pegs
hand guards
CeeBaileys windshield
rear luggage rack
3 fingered clutch
shinko 705 rear tire
tkc 80 front tire

Gear I got:
Giant Loop tank bag
Giant loop great basin bag
Seal liner duffle bag
little 2 person tent
20 year old mountain hardware sleeping bag
and a universal fuel stove (whisperlite I think)

Setting out on the trip I had two main reservations. First, I was solo and planning on hitting dirt everyday. I was glad to have a tool kit, manual and some newfound confidence on being able to fix some stuff, but if something went wrong there would be some long walks to reach help. Second, a lot of miles in not a lot of days. 3-4 days up and 2-3 days back. Funnily the first concern kinda helped with the second. Not having any company and not in the middle of any good book, all I had to do was ride and ride. So most days were 10-12 hours of small highways and some trails. I was able to cover more mileage than I thought I would, which is good and bad.

Lessons learned after the trip? My two concerns were pretty correct. It was a great trip and a good experience but it will be better in the future to have company on the trip and to do less road miles, more dirt miles and to slow down and enjoy the ride.

Day 1: San Francisco to Usal Beach

http://dualsportmaps.com/?link=111952

Pretty ride up the coast...All of this up until Fort Bragg was familiar territory and some very pretty riding. I went up and over Mt. Tam. Here's a picture of the bike all loaded up dropping back down onto the coast.

Got stuck behind some traffic going up highway one, but overall and enjoyable ride. Since this is all normal familiar roads to me I forgot to stop and take any pictures. Its one of the most picturesque roads in the country though, and a must if you are riding through California.

Once Highway one starts turning away from the coast and into the redwoods there is a sharp left that leads to Usal Beach called Usal Road. This is the lost coast. Also the first dirt of the trip (and first dirt in general for me). The roads are pretty easy riding. I saw lots of jeeps on the roads and even some guys in a toyota celica, but I wouldn't drive these roads with anything that wasn't 4 wheel drive. I think all the roads area old logging roads...Usal is the initials of an oil or logging company...I forget which. But now it links up hiking trails, 4 wheel drive roads and 10-12 campsites. I imagine this is how most of coastal California was in the turn of the century. Pretty cool and surreal landscapes. The pictures don't do it justice, lots of fog, but steep forested land dropping into the ocean. First day I only went 5-7 miles in, just to Usal Beach where I found a campsite.

Dropped to bike trying to turn around on a trail...so drop number one out of the way. Its silly how I am out in the middle of nowhere, with no one around me, but I still have a huge surge of adrenaline and and unnecessary urgency to pick up the bike before anyone sees me. Oh well...something to work on. Below are pics of the first night getting to the campsite, the campsite, and an unexpected visitor who spent half an hour slowly passing through my campsite.

Next post: Usal Beach to Shady Grove OR

teaguenotes screwed with this post 09-10-2013 at 02:02 PM
teaguenotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:14 PM   #2
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Oddometer: 5,972
I have ridden in that area a couple of times, even being from Florida but I had no idea those dual sport or old logging roads even existed. I'm already enjoying this ride of yours and can't wait to read and see more. thanks for sharing with us
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:24 PM   #3
teaguenotes OP

Next up was Usal Beach to what ended up being Shady Grove OR. I had originally planned to go to Applegate Lake, which is right past the California border, but once I got there I decided to continue pushing on.

http://dualsportmaps.com/?link=111956

Woke up with dawn. Made coffee and snack of nuts and some jerky. Packed up and ready to go....

General route today was to take the dirt roads out and to 101, then take 299 over to 96 and cross the oregon border through Klamath National Forest. Instead of taking 96 all the way, I cut across on a national forest road off of Seiad Creek Road. It ended up being a pass, Bloomfield Pass I think. It winded up and over a little mountain and then down into oregon. Lots of fun but over before you new it.

The morning was definitely the highlight. Took about 3 hours to connect back up to any sort of paved road. The route took me through Whitehorn (I think?) and eventually dumped me out onto the avenue of giants and from there to 101. Very pretty, very fun roads. Felt like I was getting comfertable on the dirt.

This next one is a good example of what the mornings ride to 101 was like...

out toward Whitehorn

and towards the avenue of giants

next up was 101 to 299 which took me east. Then connecting to 96. On the way through 96 rode past a guy on a drz that had a flat. Saw that he had the rear tire off and a few guys helping so I rode on to the gas station ahead. As I was filling up he comes in with a tire and tube to fill it up. He had patched the tube but once he filled it with air turned out the valve had worn through too. I had an old spare front and a new spare rear tube so I gave him my rear and hoped I wouldn't need it on the trip. Next up was Seiad Creek Rd...

Steeper drop off then it looks in the photo...also the first time the thought crossed my head that I'm screwed if something goes wrong up here.

this is what oregon looks like

I had been planning on camping that night, but once I got into Shady Grove and had some dinner I decided to get a cheap hotel room and recharge electronics and myself. Shower was nice too.

Next day, Shady Grove to what ended up being Seattle. Long long day.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:21 PM   #4
gammel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
Looks like a fun ride. First time in dirt alone....
Old 09-10-2013, 08:58 PM   #5
N-Id-Jim
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
Awesome solo shot! That was also one big fat elk that visited you. Did you contribute to his bad habits?
N-Id-Jim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:16 PM   #6
Teabar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Nice report.
The view of your bike above Stinson beach brings back a lot of great memories. I was resident in SF for 9 happy years, everyone a motorcyclist. Fantastic roads north, south and east and my friend and I spent many a happy day off work browsing the new bikes in Golden Gate Cycles, Munro Motors and Scuderia. Looking at your report (and a load of others on this site) makes me realise I missed out massively by not getting into dirt riding. I didn't even know it was an option when I was out there. My loss for sure.
Look forward to the rest of the report. Good luck.
Teabar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:47 PM   #7
NWBoon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Nice ride report and nice DR650, thanks! I can't wait to explore the area between San Francisco and Oregon on 2 wheels.
NWBoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:35 AM   #8
teaguenotes OP

Shady Grove to Seattle

http://dualsportmaps.com/?link=112042

This was one of the longest days. The original plan was to camp out somewhere in Gifford Pinochet National Forest, but once I got there I realized I was only a few hours from the family, so I decided to get all the way to where I would be staying outside of Seattle.

The morning started early. I went east from shady grove and through eastern Oregon to get up there. Mostly through Deschutes National Forest. I didn't do my research though and did not realize that the elevation through most of eastern oregon is 4k to 5k and temperatures are accordingly lower. Even though the trip was in august, riding in the early morning at 4000 feet got me really really cold. I kept on thinking that once the sun got above the trees I would start to warm up, but once my legs starting shaking against the tank I had to pull over and get every layer I had on. So long underwear, thermal zip up layer in my pants, flannel shirt and latex gloves under my regular gloves. It helped a bit, but I once you get cold its hard to warm back up. Added to all this my gas was getting very low and the two gas stations I had tried weren't open and didn't look like they had been open for a while. I figured I would run into something eventually. 80 miles later on 230 no gas in sight. Bike puttered to a stop. I had two back up cans in my bag, so I dumped both in. They got me to 97 where there was a truck stop cafe with a gas pump. I went in for some breakfast and much needed coffee, but found out the pumps weren't working, or they were out of gas, I forget which. Luckily the next gas was only 15 miles away and I barely made it there but I made it. Lesson learned to not pass a gas station when you have the option.

Spent the morning riding through the high desert and then through the west side of portland and back east again. The dirt that I was planning on hitting was in Gifford Pinochet National Forest. Once I got to the forest road it turned out to be paved. I found a side road that connected back to it and headed down there.

Got a few miles down and the path was blocked with downed trees that I couldn't get around. So back tracked and spent the rest of the way on pavement.

The remainder of the ride was beautiful though. Really nice and fun curves that seemed to go on forever with Mt. St Helens popping in and out of view. I was listening to Bruce Springsteen's Nebraska and felt like an hour of perfection.

Got to where I was going around 6 or 7. Longest day by far, but was worth it to see the family and baby again.

teaguenotes screwed with this post 09-15-2013 at 11:03 AM
Old 09-15-2013, 10:46 AM   #9
teaguenotes OP

Day Trip to the rainforest

This was a nice half day trip out to Olympic National Forest on the other side of the sound. Its just taking 5 to 101 and then off on squemish road (I think) and connects into the forest. Lots of nice gravel and fire roads. This is the only rain forest in america as I was told, and even in the height of summer it was very lush. Overall nice mellow day, nothing much to report. Lunch in the forest and then back home. Didn't run into many people and was nice that way. I ended up spending the next few days hanging out with the in-laws and family, checked up on the bike and cleaned and lubed the chain, then got packed and ready to go back down. I had to get south in 2 days to get back to work, so another couple of 400-500 days ahead.

Olympic National Forest

Lush

Selfie

High high bridge

Old 09-15-2013, 10:53 AM   #10
Marine By Choice
Sergeant 0311

Oddometer: 187
Looks like Mt St Helens, not Shasta to me. Especially if in Gifford Pinchot. Nice report. Thanks
Marine By Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:01 AM   #11
teaguenotes OP

Seattle to Southern Oregon

Goal today was to get to the California border and I got pretty close.

http://dualsportmaps.com/?link=112045

I took 5 down to Portland to get some miles out of the way early. The dirt I was planning on hitting was in Tillamook National Forest. There were a bunch of trails going from Browns Camp OHV that was probably a 30 mile sidetrack off the highway, then back on further west. This was the most technical riding I did on the whole trip...Lots of single track and some of it was pretty steep. Didn't fall at all on any of that, but dropped the bike going around a fire gate. Oh well. This was fun off road. One small stream crossing, but my first one! Lots of other riders on dirt bikes giving me some funny looks for having a fully loaded dual sport out there! No pictures of the difficult stuff cause I was too busy riding it!

Browns camp OHV

From there I connected to 101 and headed down the coast the rest of the way. 101 slowed down a lot when it went through some of the towns on the coast. I think it took me 45 minutes to get through florence, so that was the only real frustration. Weather was a lot like this for about half of it.

Ended up finishing the night about 50 miles from the California border.

teaguenotes screwed with this post 09-15-2013 at 11:35 AM
Old 09-15-2013, 11:02 AM   #12
teaguenotes OP

You are right! St Helens, not Shasta. I'll edit and thanks for the heads up.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:17 AM   #13
teaguenotes OP

Final day, Southern Oregon to San Francsico

http://dualsportmaps.com/?link=112047

Nothing much to report on this one. I had to get back to work the next day, so I just took 101 all the way home. In northern California, once 101 went inland it got pretty smokey from the forest fires that were going at the time. Other than that uneventful. Glad to be back home when I got there!

It was a great trip overall. I think for my first trip and it being solo I did the right amount of dirt for me. By the end of it I felt comfortable being out there. I think I may be going to Death Valley with a group of guys in a few weeks, but the next solo trip I do I will be trying to have more dirt riding overall. All my gear and the bike worked flawlessly. Things I would do different would be to have a few more layers for when the weather got cold. Also to have set campsites to go to every night. I figured I would just figure it out once I got there, and that ended up generally being tired at the end of the day and getting a cheap motel room. I would probably try and keep my camera more accessible and take some more pictures. Finally, I would plan a trip with less overall mileage or more overall time, so I don't have to do those 400-500 mile days. Anyways very good experience, glad I could do it and glad that I can share it with everyone here! Here are some pics of the oregon coast to leave you with.

Old 09-15-2013, 07:23 PM   #14
french horn
Just Add venture

Oddometer: 455
WOW ... bloody beautiful country you rode through

I would've been real happy to have ridden alongside you for this one mate, exactly my preffered style.

Thanks for all the effort to share with us ... and congrats on your first drop and first dirt ... a long distance toast

cheers
french horn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:33 PM   #15
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Oddometer: 5,972
your ride report continues to be fantastic with great pictures and text. Again, thank you for sharing with us.
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote