ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-20-2013, 07:35 AM   #16
genka
SUV hater

Oddometer: 1,483
The datasheet says that this regulator will remain stable at no load, so it should work at 25uA. I'd try a diode or two first anyway.
I also bought Nook. They go for $40 on ebay... couldn't resist!

Форум мотоциклистов в США http://www.xytopok.net/mvnforum/listthreads?forum=31
genka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:36 PM   #17
genka
SUV hater

I can't get the USB host mode to work and OSMAND doesn't want to show map- maybe because no GPS is attached. Google Maps work, but the image quality is pretty bad. E-ink redraw takes about a second, a moving map may be unreadable. What was your experience?

Old 09-23-2013, 10:29 PM   #18
moto_dmitriy OP
que?

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by genka View Post
I can't get the USB host mode to work and OSMAND doesn't want to show map- maybe because no GPS is attached. Google Maps work, but the image quality is pretty bad. E-ink redraw takes about a second, a moving map may be unreadable. What was your experience?
lets see:
OSMAND when it starts go to settings > general > Safe mode 'checked on' you'll have to do this every time (I haven't figured out how to make it default)

Google maps is pretty light, I had to play with 'extra contrast' settings in osmand to make it look decent (osmAND from map menu > configure screen > Map Style

Redraw, get the no refresh APK here and set it up to work with OSMAND.

RE: USBHost, do you have USB mode switcher (should be default in app from TopHat)? if you do when you plug the OTG cable with say a usb keyboard and then switch from peripheral to OTG to HOST to OTG again (may take a few times/seconds) does the bottom charge LED light up? Does it say Qwerty(1) under keyboard? If so the host mode works and we can go from there.
moto_dmitriy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:44 AM   #19
genka
SUV hater

Thanks for the help.
I got Osmand working by trying different options for underlay/overlay maps. I haven't figured out the best way to display the maps, but setting both overlay and underlay to Mapnik gives me map display.
I changed USB mode with the app, but even if "Request" says "Host" or "OTG","State" still says " b_peripheral" and the LED never turns on. Maybe it happenes because of my experiments with overclocked kernel. I have "Fast Mode" apk for no refresh display. It works with a considerable quality penalty. Probably the apk you recommend is no better.
If Osmand could be made to refresh the map screen once in 2 seconds, it would still be useable for navigation without the need to modify the display.
I think I might need to reflash TopHat ROM to have a better chance with OTG.

Old 09-24-2013, 07:02 PM   #20
genka
SUV hater

OK, I got the host mode working after reflash.Tried to connect my old Garmin, after few tries remembered that it streams data in a proprietary format, I'll need to fins a different GPS. To get Osmand to work have to chose between safe mode or using online maps.

Old 09-24-2013, 09:25 PM   #21
moto_dmitriy OP
que?

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by genka View Post
OK, I got the host mode working after reflash.Tried to connect my old Garmin, after few tries remembered that it streams data in a proprietary format, I'll need to fins a different GPS. To get Osmand to work have to chose between safe mode or using online maps.
So I know some USB pucks will work, watch out for too much current draw unless you have an OTG 'Y' cable. I had to connect my Qstarz via a USB hub (too much current drawn by the qstarz 'charging' off the nook) to get it to work when testing it out. How old is your garmin? Try running Top Hat Soaring and see if it will recognize it. I think they may support some older garmin units.

OSMand will work in safe mode with offline & online maps, it does for me. Weird. Maybe download the maps first then run safe mode then under map screen menu > Define View > Map Source > offline maps?
moto_dmitriy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:26 AM   #22
genka
SUV hater

I have the Y cable and got the keyboard working, at this point I'm fairly sure that my problem is with Garmin. I'll try the TopHat software, thanks for the suggestion.