Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2014, 02:49 PM   #556
fredgilb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidbrah View Post
AH and any others who are familiar with bike backpacks:

Which Kriega model would you recommend? Is there anything out there that's better?
I looked at all the kriega's. I settled on a R25. It's the only one that (barely at that) swallows a helmet. All the other ones have openings that are just shy of big enough. Also, it's plenty big and I wouldn't want more bulk than that hanging off me when full. Hope that helps.
fredgilb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 03:12 PM   #557
fredgilb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiHero View Post
Plans? Fly myself and my bike to London probably. Maybe Ireland. That's my only plan (other than getting to the TT). I will land without so much as a reservation at a hotel.

As for sponsorship, it's a little too soon to go into any details (because there aren't any). I will consider sponsorship from a company I believe in. Safe to say that nobody will see "Microsoft" on the side of my bike. Nor will I take on a sponsor that has a say in what I say or do. Having to tweet, "Man, I sure love these new Lemon Scented Fish Sticks from Panda Industries" once a week would kill the experience for me and for anyone following.

However, there's a great opportunity for a company (start-up, high-tech) who is looking for worldwide exposure or for a company who makes the gear I'm using. Being that I'm working on finding things like a tent, sleeping bag, a watch I can trust, extraction insurance, health insurance, riding gear, new laptop, a GoPro drone to follow me around, etc., a sponsor could really make a difference and be mutually beneficial. But it's still all about things I believe in, like HENDRICK'S!

Speaking of gear and the expenses associated with this trip prior to even leaving, I bought another camera for the trip:

It was a hard bullet to bite, but seeing as though I'm going to places I've never been and places I most likely won't see but once in my life, I figured I'd go with the best I could buy, despite the bend-over-and-cough price tag. Sony would be a nice sponsor. They never replied to my email. Hell, it'd be nice if they fixed the dirt-on-the-sensor issue my RX100 has had since I bought it (vs. charging me $250 for it, which I won't do).

As for Ducati, make no mistake, they do realize the importance of my R/Rs to their brand, but that importance all but evaporates if they were a sponsor. For them, it's a double edged sword. The value of my trips to them lies in the fact that they're NOT backing me. Best I can hope for is another COTA like trip at the end of mine + a big suitcase filled with money so I could host a party in Death Valley for anyone who's followed along!!!!

Course, if any web developers want to put up a "why did you purchase your Ducati" website with a survey that has "MotoGP, World Superbike, Magazine Ad, Twitter, or Antihero" as the options, it sure would be cool to track and see just what really sells bikes on Monday these days....
Hey Denis,
So you're out for more.....lots more! Ha, oh man you are in for a treat. I always wanted to go to the TT. Plan ahead for that one. Just getting a spot on the ferry can be tricky. Luggage. It's key..........Personally I always like to keep the backpack as light as possible. It's a bit much on the physically challenging roads. Also heavy backpacks are really a hindrance to nimbleness (read embarrassing!) in traffic. Side bags are great but they suck for lane spitting. Everyone in euro seems to go for those big ugly (but lockable) tail cases for that reason.
Good luck. Maybe we'll run into each other. Moto Tour is end of September.
Bon Voyage!
fredgilb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:31 PM   #558
manban9888
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Holy crap AH you're really gonna do it. Sorry I haven't checked in in awhile but I've got some news of my own so I'll call you in the next couple days. I truly hope you have the ride of a lifetime and experience the absolute best this world has to offer. I'll be following and cheering you on brother.
manban9888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:18 PM   #559
Squidbrah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Thanks for the review AH and Fred.

The R25 looks a little small for what I want to do. Looks like it's the R30 for me.

Why does this hobby have to be so expensive.
Squidbrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:44 AM   #560
rico2072
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 314
Sorry to hear, heal up soon.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:20 AM   #561
Direktor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 523
Lots of nice pics. Here is me and my bike with lagguage for 4 days in Apls

Old 03-13-2014, 10:43 PM   #562
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 907
fredgilb: Whatever you're doing on that Hyper looks like a hell of a lot of fun. I also plan on heading to the Isle of Man early...like a week early, so I don't think I should have a problem with getting there (I hope not).

Direktor: Cannot wait to ride the alps!!!! (And get to Croatia)

And yep, I'm doing it. It's really starting to finally hit me....
AntiHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:11 PM   #563
Bandaids
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Mr Anti Hero

Dear Mr Anti hero.
Firstly been a lurker read your post, it kicks ass. Have one a fair bit of traveling on my last sport bike, had an R1. road it practically around OZ.
In regards to the TT. I went with a bunch of older experienced blokes a couple of years ago. it was heaven. seriously it is everything you think it will be and then some.

I am going again next year, why not this year , because it could be to late.

I realise this sounds crazy & Im not trying to be negative as I very much appreciate your adventure.
Generally speaking the ferry tx & camping goes on sale the first week after the TT finishes and is normally sold out.So most people book there next event a year in advance. i will be booking mine about the 7th of june this year for 2015. both ferry & camping tx.
If your still keen we met people who caught the ferry to Ireland so they could then catch the ferry to The Isle of Mann as the London ferry was sold outand there is a waiting list but I saw lots of people walk on and off -no bike -gutted, getting off again after the race is not the drama if you dont mind waiting a day. I have camp ground info where we stayed & it was great , depends if you want to party all night , We didnt . food was good showers were hot & it rained alot.
take care mate
Your writing makes me get out and ride more, I find myself going out for a coffee & ending up hours away
cheers
Bandaids is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 04:20 AM   #564
Trane Francks
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandaids View Post
I find myself going out for a coffee & ending up hours away
These are important lifetime moments. One of my favourite memories took place in my early 20s when I realized that I desperately needed to buy some new socks. I hopped on my bike (a super-pedestrian 1976 Yamaha XS360C) and rode into town. And then kept going. And going. And, finally, 200km later, pulled into a random store to buy my socks. I had lunch. And then had the most amazing, meandering journey back home.

Random, spontaneous rides such as that can wind up being defining moments in life.
Trane Francks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 11:57 AM   #565
desmodab
Oversized Canuck

Oddometer: 252
I need to learn to do that. I find the opposite - I have some weird subconscious fear and find myself coming home early most times. I have done many longer trips, but always with a friend or two (or more), never alone. I LOVE being on my multi but find it hard to "lose" myself and stray too far, especially solo. I think it has some foundation in being the third of four kids and always having somebody around, thus never being alone in my formative years.

I am riding from Victoria where I now live to San Francisco solo in a couple of weeks. It'll only be 4-5 days each way, depending on route, but I hope to start to take longer, solo jaunts to get to where you guys are. I'll never be at Anti's level, but would like to conquer this fear and go on longer trips on my own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-17-2014, 08:11 PM   #566
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by desmodab View Post
I need to learn to do that. I find the opposite - I have some weird subconscious fear and find myself coming home early most times. I have done many longer trips, but always with a friend or two (or more), never alone. I LOVE being on my multi but find it hard to "lose" myself and stray too far, especially solo. I think it has some foundation in being the third of four kids and always having somebody around, thus never being alone in my formative years.

I am riding from Victoria where I now live to San Francisco solo in a couple of weeks. It'll only be 4-5 days each way, depending on route, but I hope to start to take longer, solo jaunts to get to where you guys are. I'll never be at Anti's level, but would like to conquer this fear and go on longer trips on my own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Based on our off-line conversations, I hope to make it back up with you at least for a half-day.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:25 PM   #567
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Back to the R/R....

Met up with the maniac who made my stay at the Aria Suites possible, only this time crashed in his guest house prior to a ride that I looked forward to with fearful anticipation.

Why yes, my hands might have been shaking.

Ghost Rider.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:47 PM   #568
nagilfarswake
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Read your first RR a while back. Just discovered this one, too late to catch you while you were here in Portland. Too bad. But reading it at work put the bug in me, so I decided when I got home to ride out to the coast to watch the sun set into the ocean. Weather app on my phone said that it should be sunny at the beach, full tank of gas in my new (to me) triumph sprint st 1050, had some new rain gear to try out for the ride, good to go.

Somehow I had forgotten that I always find Oregon beaches to be disappointing.

That picture was taken exactly at what was theoretically sundown, with the sun directly at my back. Nothin' but grey. Oh well. Had a great ride, got to test out the tank bag and bike, learned some stuff that I want to change (that windscreen blocks air to my chin vent, which means foggy visor).

I'll be taking the day off on Friday for a ride. Haven't figured out where, yet. Don't really figure it matters much.
nagilfarswake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 04:41 PM   #569
desmodab
Oversized Canuck

Oddometer: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiHero View Post
Based on our off-line conversations, I hope to make it back up with you at least for a half-day.
That would be awesome dude, but no pressure. I know you've got a couple of things on your mind!

DD
desmodab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 06:56 AM   #570
BenZvan
N7

Oddometer: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagilfarswake View Post
I'll be taking the day off on Friday for a ride. Haven't figured out where, yet. Don't really figure it matters much.
That's the truth. I might suggest the Evergreen Aviation and Space Museum though. I've never been there, but it sounds cool.
BenZvan is offline   Reply With Quote