Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-11-2013, 04:02 PM   #16
koncha

Oddometer: 10,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoy777 View Post
I'm wondering if I should upgrade my 4s to iOS7?

Any thoughts?
I've been in the ios7 beta program. I would upgrade day 1.

The large change in the new phones is 64 bit processing. Less than 1% of people probably understand why that is a big deal.

The fingerprint scanner could revolutionize device security, if it is much better than what has been implemented before. Those laptop scanners suck.
koncha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:47 PM   #17
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 37,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by koncha View Post
I've been in the ios7 beta program. I would upgrade day 1.

The large change in the new phones is 64 bit processing. Less than 1% of people probably understand why that is a big deal.

The fingerprint scanner could revolutionize device security, if it is much better than what has been implemented before. Those laptop scanners suck.
But IIRC only the 5s is a 64 bit processor so John's 4s and my 4-ish iPod touch wont see a gain from that.

John I didn't see any killer must have features though admittedly my iOS device is just for development so YMMV. But read up on it and if there's no gotta have's for you wait 1-3 weeks that way all the bugs will be found and major apps that have an issue with the new OS should be updated.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:58 PM   #18
McNeal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,684
I've been an Apple fanboi for years. I still like their products and have many around the house and at work. My contract was up with Verizon enabling me to purchase my next phone. I just picked up the Moto X because it's made in Texas. Okay, it's really just assembled in Texas, but at least someone is trying to bring manufacturing back to the USA. Android is different and for some people like my wife I would never suggest that she make the switch.

Apple had better step it up.
McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:00 PM   #19
PoundSand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,949
Quote:
i'll bite- why's it a big deal?
PoundSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:25 PM   #20
potatoho
Cheese and Rice!

Oddometer: 4,686
Quote:
They should have nixed that IMO. We have 4 disgruntled iphone owners today at work. At most, none cared about fingerprint except to say F That. The biggest complaint was the lack of metal casing on the 5c. They won't buy plastic.

Several Android devices came out with fingerprint scanners and I don't think people really liked them all too much. The old Moto Atrix etc. I've not tried it myself to see the difference, but all things the same I would prefer to swipe a finger along the edge rather than smoosh a finger onto the face. Apple's fingerprint sensor design doesn't look very one hand friendly.
potatoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:52 PM   #21
jeep44
junk collector

Oddometer: 2,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoundSand View Post
i'll bite- why's it a big deal?
I'll bite, too. And like another person asked, will there be any point to upgrade the OS if I have an Iphone5?
jeep44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:58 PM   #22
McNeal
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatoho View Post
Apple's fingerprint sensor design doesn't look very one hand friendly.
Not sure why you believe that it wouldn't be one hand friendly. According to the information released yesterday the scanning can be done 360 degrees. Because of that I wouldn't see why one couldn't pick the phone up with one hand and use one's thumb to press the home button just like today.

Some comments from folks who had access to the new phone yesterday said the scanning worked really well. While I won't be purchasing a new iPhone so it doesn't matter to me, but I would hope one can also enter a pass code to unlock the device for those who use the phone in the cold weather.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:06 PM   #23
McCormack
eltiT resU motsuC

Oddometer: 6,266
All I know is my 4 month old iPhone 4S is down to 10% battery. I made one phone call today. Something ain't right.
McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:09 PM   #24
McNeal
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCormack View Post
All I know is my 4 month old iPhone 4S is down to 10% battery. I made one phone call today. Something ain't right.
Do you have a Netgear WiFi router nearby? If so, unplug ... wait 10 seconds ... and plug it back in.

My iPhone 4s will sometimes suck the power down really quick and it's caused by my NetGear Wifi router going nuts.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:27 PM   #25
koncha

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
But IIRC only the 5s is a 64 bit processor so John's 4s and my 4-ish iPod touch wont see a gain from that.

John I didn't see any killer must have features though admittedly my iOS device is just for development so YMMV. But read up on it and if there's no gotta have's for you wait 1-3 weeks that way all the bugs will be found and major apps that have an issue with the new OS should be updated.
True. Just the 5s is 64 bit.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:54 PM   #26
BillsR100
Happy Paleoflatus

Oddometer: 2,854
The NSA is gonna love that new finger print scanner. (I'm only half joking)
BillsR100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:02 PM   #27
kfsinc
Chaingolian Observer

Oddometer: 2,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCormack View Post
That's not bad for 4 months use, I have to charge mine every day.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.”, Mario Andretti

Indulge. Repent. Repeat.
kfsinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:08 PM   #28
koncha

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep44 View Post
I'll bite, too. And like another person asked, will there be any point to upgrade the OS if I have an Iphone5?
iOS 7 has some nice new features that make it worth the upgrade. I have been using it since the first beta and I am really happy with it.

32 versus 64 bit can be very technical. There are really 3 impacts that you will notice. First, processors can operate on larger chunks of data. 64 pieces of data at the same time. Right now, you are limited to 32. This will have immediate impact on processing time. Secondly, when processors split data into chunks, you will sometimes get processing errors. Larger chunks means fewer errors. Thirdly, 64 bit processors can point to more addresses in physical memory (RAM). 32 bit systems are limited to 4 gigs of ram. 64 bit systems have a theoretical limit billions of times larger than that.

The Samsung S4 is already sporting 3 gigs of ram. They are 1 or 2 generations away from hitting the max ram for the 32 bit chip and OS. To be fair, I am not sure when Google has plans for 64 bit support. Given the fractured Android ecosystem, I think their 64 bit transition will be more painful.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:14 PM   #29
koncha

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatoho View Post
They should have nixed that IMO. We have 4 disgruntled iphone owners today at work. At most, none cared about fingerprint except to say F That. The biggest complaint was the lack of metal casing on the 5c. They won't buy plastic.

Several Android devices came out with fingerprint scanners and I don't think people really liked them all too much. The old Moto Atrix etc. I've not tried it myself to see the difference, but all things the same I would prefer to swipe a finger along the edge rather than smoosh a finger onto the face. Apple's fingerprint sensor design doesn't look very one hand friendly.
This is a fundamentally different implementation of fingerprint scanning. Previous scanners such as the Atrix were finicky, at best. For some people, they were unusable. You had to move your finger in the same direction and at the same pace each time. It wasn't a static reader where you don't move your finger. The 5s you don't move your finger and it works in every orientation. If the response is fast enough in application, this eliminates the pass code with something that is more secure.

It think it is funny that your coworkers won't buy plastic but will place that metal phone in a plastic case as soon as they buy it.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:27 PM   #30
Kaanan
Knee deep in snow.

Oddometer: 591
I have the 5, I'll wait for the 6 to upgrade. But I am looking forward to ios7.
Kaanan is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: