Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-11-2013, 08:09 PM   #31
potatoho
Cheese and Rice!

Oddometer: 4,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by koncha View Post
It think it is funny that your coworkers won't buy plastic but will place that metal phone in a plastic case as soon as they buy it.
That is true. I even printed a case for one after he bought a giant otter case LOL.

I don't understand half of what was explained in the Apple presentation. It always seems like they are solving strawman problems which they introduced via poor initial design. A motion sensor coprocessor to improve battery drain : geez is that really a feature or just shit that should have been fixed in the second hardware revision
potatoho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:09 AM   #32
PoundSand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by potatoho View Post
A motion sensor coprocessor to improve battery drain : geez is that really a feature or just shit that should have been fixed in the second hardware revision
Um, this is a hardware rev that addresses the problem (vs fixes the problem, as it wasn't broken per se), so I'm not sure what you're trying to say it should have been fixed in a hardware rev... The motion coprocessor (like the one for voice in some of Motorola's new android phones) allows a low power processor to always be awake and ready for input; the alternative, without these processors, is to use the main system CPU to handle it, and the main CPUs require a lot more power.
PoundSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:58 PM   #33
legion
Lard Council

Oddometer: 12,482
Looks like their product launch went swimmingly.

Stock shit the bed overnight. Went from roughly $495 to roughly $460 a share while expectant palm rubbers slept the evening off.

legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:13 PM   #34
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 9,808
it just occurred to me that it would be pretty tricky (impossible) to unlock one of these with gloves on - whereas even without the finger thingies, I can unlock mine now with gloves.....

hmmmm
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:04 PM   #35
falconati
baller

Oddometer: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by legion View Post
Looks like their product launch went swimmingly.

Stock shit the bed overnight. Went from roughly $495 to roughly $460 a share while expectant palm rubbers slept the evening off.

Yep. That happens when you take an iPhone 5, put plastic on it and sell it for half price (instead of the old model, which was to sell the same higher quality phone for half price). Also, people like me who were hoping for one more thing that hadn't leaked and didn't get it are now shopping for Android phones. Fingerprint login was introduced on an Android phone in 2011 (slightly different execution as the user had to swipe), so hopefully Apple has made this more usable than Motorola (pretty sure it was them?).

It's a really nice phone, but iOS7 is lagging Android in features. In terms of personal preference, some folks far prefer one over the other. I think both are nice, but ultimately it comes down to features for me. Also with regard to 64 bit architecture, this really isn't a big deal now since not much will use the additional bandwidth. Over time, this will become more relavent, but you're not going to notice a ridiculous performance improvement (even though you'd see a strong improvement if you run benchmarking tests, that won't really show much to an end-user). I wish I could take the camera, photo software, and physical phone construction from the Apple and then have everything else from the LG G2.

I'm excited to see what their next product brings, but I was a little disappointed this week.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:09 PM   #36
Bappo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
I have an iphone 4 and prolly should upgrade sometime soon. I would love to try a moto x or some other android device but I have a bunch invested in apps that would go away (ballistics and astro stuff mainly) and am worried about battery life. Oh and HUGE sized phones turn me off. I still don't see what iphone would be a significant enough upgrade to jump though. All in a days work, eh?
Bappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:13 PM   #37
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 9,808
as i understand it, the iPhone was ahead for awhile at least as far as legions of free third party apps and from what I've heard the new Andriod phones have now surpassed most of the iphone stuff.....

ive never actually had the chance to play around with one but would like to see what they are all about for sure.
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:14 PM   #38
McNeal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bappo View Post
I have an iphone 4 and prolly should upgrade sometime soon. I would love to try a moto x or some other android device but I have a bunch invested in apps that would go away (ballistics and astro stuff mainly) and am worried about battery life. Oh and HUGE sized phones turn me off. I still don't see what iphone would be a significant enough upgrade to jump though. All in a days work, eh?
Take a look at the Moto X. I just switched from an iPhone and I'm quite impressed. It's fast, light, has a great screen. The swipe to type feature is slick and amazingly accurate. If you're needing some specific apps that could be a problem since what you need might not be available on the Android platform. Verizon gave me $200 for my old iPhone 4s which was the price of the Moto X so in the end for me there was only a $35 admin/upgrade fee that Verizon charged.

For those who talk about Apples's ecosystem indicating how it locks you in either ignore Google's ecosystem or are running a Blackberry. The Google ecosystem really sucks you in and quickly. Not necessarily a bad thing.
McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:26 PM   #39
McNeal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post
as i understand it, the iPhone was ahead for awhile at least as far as legions of free third party apps and from what I've heard the new Andriod phones have now surpassed most of the iphone stuff.....
Are you talking hardware or software? If you're talking hardware I would definitely agree that Android phones surpass the iPhone. On the software front that's a matter of opinion. I've noticed that while Google's Play store has tons of applications there are a bunch of really crappy ones. I don't know if this difference is caused by Apple having higher standards that developers must pass to sell their software in iTunes or if in general Apple developers care more about producing a quality product. Finding the preferences can be a bit of a hunt. Sometimes there are settings in the applications, other times changes are made from the general settings app. It's difficult to put my figure on it, but Android doesn't feel as consistent in how it approaches things that iOS does.
McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:09 AM   #40
PoundSand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,511
There's plenty of junk in the iTunes store too. As far as settings, app settings are in the app, system wide settings are in the system settings menu. ;)
PoundSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:10 AM   #41
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 36,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNeal View Post
Are you talking hardware or software? If you're talking hardware I would definitely agree that Android phones surpass the iPhone. On the software front that's a matter of opinion. I've noticed that while Google's Play store has tons of applications there are a bunch of really crappy ones. I don't know if this difference is caused by Apple having higher standards that developers must pass to sell their software in iTunes or if in general Apple developers care more about producing a quality product. Finding the preferences can be a bit of a hunt. Sometimes there are settings in the applications, other times changes are made from the general settings app. It's difficult to put my figure on it, but Android doesn't feel as consistent in how it approaches things that iOS does.
I'm guessing the latter since any and everyone can put their apps on the google play store. There are some great ones.....and then 20 like it that suck. The easiest way to tell is see the rating/how many people have downloaded it.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 04:25 AM   #42
McCormack
eltiT resU motsuC

Oddometer: 5,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post

ive never actually had the chance to play around with one but would like to see what they are all about for sure.
Friend and temporary roomy just got an Android - Motorola Razr. I've been messing around with it a lot (he's still using an older phone until that contract ends this month).

Frankly, I like it. Good feel to the phone, great size, and the OS is easy to use.
McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 05:51 PM   #43
koncha

Oddometer: 10,040
JFC, why does every iPhone or Android thread, on every forum, end up being a compare and contrast?
koncha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 05:02 PM   #44
legion
Lard Council

Oddometer: 12,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by koncha View Post
JFC, why does every iPhone or Android thread, on every forum, end up being a compare and contrast?

Because potential buyers like to be objective and marketing cretins excrete only subjective drivel?
legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 06:51 PM   #45
koncha

Oddometer: 10,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by legion View Post
Because potential buyers like to be objective and marketing cretins excrete only subjective drivel?
No.
koncha is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: