Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2013, 02:22 PM   #16
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious E View Post
I've been noticing a pronounced increase in the number of scooters around these parts (Central PA) as well the last few years. My own observations:

-If a small-displacement Chinese brand scooter, the rider will almost always be...
1. Under 30.
2. Wearing absolutely no gear
3. Have ZERO concept of proper lane positioning (I can't tell you how many of them I see riding to the far right, on top of the fog line)

-If a maxi-scooter...
1. Almost always a gray bearded old man (rarely see women on the maxi's and the higher cost probably detracts from much of the appeal to the younger crowd)
2. Usually wearing at least a helmet
3. Frequently in business attire
4. Has some idea of basic riding skills
Damn fine observation. I'm seeing the same thing down here.

As for the Chinese scooter part, I just posted this in the current ATGATT thread: http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=1460
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:26 PM   #17
Vulfy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 550
Had a 150cc Benelli (used to be Italian now Chinese) scooter. That thing could get up to 55mph with some wind at the back.

Honestly... I'm all for ATGATT on a bike, but scooter IS different. If you keeping it the city, without going on a highway and most of them are not designed or legal to be on highway anyway, no way would I gear up to ride a scooter.

Doesn't have to do with the image, but rather the accessibility of it.

Not only that, but lets say you keeping it at around 40mph on a street without traffic. I'm pretty sure a slide even at 40 is survivable without any gear other than a helmet. Yes you'll get some rash, yes you might break a bone, or twist something, but if you have a decent helmet, you'll be fine.

Not only that, but stopping distances, and drop in speed from 40-45 mph is shorter and faster, than highway speeds where you are going from 55 up to triple digits.

Yes it is still dangerous and you can still end up under a wheel of a bus, but at that point no gear will save you. As far as impact and abrasion goes, you should be able to survive anything bellow 50mph.

Also since you are sitting inside the scooter rather than wrapping your legs around it, like you do on a motorcycle, you are a little bit more protected from the weight of it, landing on top of you.

Dunno, as I said, I'm ATGATT on the bike, but scooter should be more accessible and shouldn't be taken as seriously (rules of the road still apply).
Loved my little orange scooter, and used to go shopping and errands, on it all the time.

The funnest part was going sideways on it, in the snow.
Vulfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:19 PM   #18
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
...So new were scooters that he was often stopped by city police for no license plate. Of course Massachusetts doesn't require a plate on scooters under 100cc. It took a few years for the LEO's to catch on.
Not correct. It's a motorcycle that requires registration UNLESS it meets the criteria for a moped. From the MA-RMV site:

Quote:
According to Massachusetts law, a moped is a "motorized bicycle." In order to be classified as a moped, the vehicle must:
•Have a cylinder capacity of no more than 50 cubic centimeters.
•Have an automatic transmission.
•Be capable of a maximum speed of no more than 30 miles per hour.
•Comply with all applicable federal motor vehicle safety standards.

A moped sticker, issued by the RMV, must be affixed to the moped. This sticker will not be issued unless the vehicle meets the above requirements.
http://www.massrmv.com/rmv/license/7moped.htm

In particular, 50 cc, and no matter what the cc, note the 30 MPH rule. My local dealer got dragged into a criminal prosecution on this very subject, involving a guy riding a Ruckus. The police borrowed one to run in front of a radar gun, and then wanted one of the dealership owners to testify in court.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:10 PM   #19
zaphoid
At the Space Bar.

Oddometer: 122
This is Gwyneth Paltrow cutting off a school bus, on a scooter, with her kid on the back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEe7PAzn_Mk

With a kid!
zaphoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:50 PM   #20
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
A lot of 'em think they are on a bicycle. You know how good those are about following rules of the road.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.

viverrid screwed with this post 09-15-2013 at 12:15 AM
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:32 PM   #21
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,688
Rarely see scooters around here in Bend Oregon. My guess is the short riding season with snowy winters and a poor bus system make cars a necessity. Lots of old guys on bigger bikes including myself riding around in the summer. I like scooters and would like to see more.
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:12 PM   #22
Kattzoo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Scooters seem to be growing in popularity here as well. (Fort Worth) I'm still trying to decide if I'm offended by the maxi-scooter middle aged comment or not, but since it fits, I'll get over it. Rode motorcycles for years. Earlier this year decided to get a small scoot (Honda PCX) for the gas mileage on my commute. Fell in love with the scooter, but needed more. Upgrade to a Majesty, and really don't miss my bike at this point. (Subject to change) I still wear all the gear.

I do think Scooter riders tend to look happier. Maybe it's because we know we don't look cool! Plus, being a girl, I don't get all the crap for riding a scoot that my male counterparts do.

I still live by I don't care what you ride, as long as you ride.
Kattzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:10 PM   #23
villagelightsmith
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulfy View Post

Not only that, but lets say you keeping it at around 40mph on a street without traffic. I'm pretty sure a slide even at 40 is survivable without any gear other than a helmet. Yes you'll get some rash, yes you might break a bone, or twist something, but if you have a decent helmet, you'll be fine.

Not only that, but stopping distances, and drop in speed from 40-45 mph is shorter and faster, than highway speeds where you are going from 55 up to triple digits.

Yes it is still dangerous and you can still end up under a wheel of a bus, but at that point no gear will save you. As far as impact and abrasion goes, you should be able to survive anything bellow 50mph.

Also since you are sitting inside the scooter rather than wrapping your legs around it, like you do on a motorcycle, you are a little bit more protected from the weight of it, landing on top of you.

Dunno, as I said, I'm ATGATT on the bike, but scooter should be more accessible and shouldn't be taken as seriously (rules of the road still apply).
Loved my little orange scooter, and used to go shopping and errands, on it all the time.

The funnest part was going sideways on it, in the snow.
============================================
I certainly don't know about all scenarios, but a couple of very good friends on two machines T-boned a kid who ran a stop sign. Their estimated speed was 20 MPH. She broke a leg; he was launched over the kid's hood. Despite a good quality helmet, he died a few days later of brain injuries. In this case and many others, configuration of the scoot is irrelevant.
------------------------------------------------
Ride in a state of aggressive, proactive, wide-awake paranoia.
villagelightsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:34 PM   #24
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,560
as a scooterist i find many of these posts dumb, stereotypical, offensive, uninformed, and......true

i do marvel at how many people on scooters cannot ride their bikes. i think part of the problem is the attitude some riders have, like the fellow who posted riding a scooter "shouldn't be taken seriously." anything that can go up to 65mph riding in and with traffic should be taken seriously imo. and while atgatt is not what i do so i cannot really talk, on my scooters i wear denim, boots or high top sneakers, leather riding gloves, ff helmet, and a riding jacket or Dickies unlined. sometimes a hoodie, but my flesh is covered for the most part. even in 100 degree heat

the problem with scooter riders i see is they ride their scooters like....scooters. they need to have a more proactive, motorcycle attitude imo. too often i see scooter riders just putting along, seemingly oblivious to comditions around them, riding like everyone should be on the lookout for 'em because they are on a scooter

and some riders swear by a 50cc but man i can't see that for anything other then neighborhood roads, so to speak

but yeah, the stereotypes are dull. all kinds of people ride motorcycles, all kinds of people ride scooters. every walk of life, not just young hipsters on vespa's and old folks on maxi's or poor folks on 50's. if i ever decide to motovlog i will show you all what a scooter is capable of with a confident rider onboard. some of your notions may change

i will have my motorcycles but will always have at least one good small scooter to ride, and most likely two. they're just flat out fun and easy to ride. and while it is true a good number of scooter riders really should not be on the road i have come upon many folks on motorcycles i can say the same about, whether a newbie on a Rebel or the same on a 600cc racing bike that can't quite get around that bus that just got in front of it. we were all new riders once, its just a matter of where we go with it. be it on a scooter or motorcycle or like many of us....both
Old 09-12-2013, 11:58 PM   #25
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,143
Vertical C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 03:59 AM   #26
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,804
I could go on and on about scooters, because they totally kick ass, but I won't. I'll just point out a few things. First, they actually save money. Lots of folks justify owning a motorcycle by saying it will save money. It's a lie, of course. Between tires, gas, oil changes, speeding tickets, time off work for court appearances, etc., it becomes hard to save money on a motorcycle unless you actually sell your car. But a scooter will save you money. Buy a used scooter for a grand, put on a couple thousand miles a year, and in 2-3 years the scooter is paid for with gas savings.

The other thing for motorcyclists to consider is that the scooter doesn't replace your motorcycle. It replaces your car. All those short trips you used to take in the car you now do on the scooter. It saves gas. It saves wear-and-tear on the car, and it's hilarious fun.

And I mean hilarious fun. The true beauty of the scooter is that they're unintimidating to other motorists, which means you can get away with riding like a complete asshole. Split lanes. Ride on the grass. Park on the sidewalk. Nobody cares. You're on a scooter.

I'll end with this. I hear people say that they look like a dork on a scooter. Not to put too fine a point on it, but for God's sake, look at yourself. You're middle-aged. You have a beer gut. Your hair is falling out. You ARE a dork. Embrace it.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 05:09 AM   #27
Krono
Speed Junkie

Oddometer: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post

And I mean hilarious fun. The true beauty of the scooter is that they're unintimidating to other motorists, which means you can get away with riding like a complete asshole. Split lanes. Ride on the grass. Park on the sidewalk. Nobody cares. You're on a scooter.

A sumo like mine does all that extremely well, too
Old 09-13-2013, 06:03 AM   #28
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,288
Here in South Carolina we call them DUI Bikes. As you dont have to have a license or tag to ride them if they are 50cc and under.

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:55 AM   #29
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeClone View Post
leather riding gloves, ff helmet, and a riding jacket or Dickies unlined. sometimes a hoodie, but my flesh is covered for the most part. even in 100 degree heat
Just FYI, the hoodie and dickies will be about as protective as a paper towel while sliding at speed. My jeans flat evaporated at about 35mph on pavement.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:21 AM   #30
sparky821
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
I've been seeing more and more people come wobbling up to a stop, almost fall down, wobble through a turn and not make it, run into oncoming traffic lane then lay it down on the side if the road. Is it really that hard to ride a scooter? I had a ruckus for a few years and a Chinese 150cc for a while, didn't seem that hard to me. Most of these people have been older that I see riding badly.
sparky821 is offline   Reply With Quote