Old 09-13-2013, 07:35 AM   #31
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krono View Post
A sumo like mine does all that extremely well, too
Same mentality.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:39 AM   #32
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugemoth View Post
Rarely see scooters around here in Bend Oregon. My guess is the short riding season with snowy winters and a poor bus system make cars a necessity. Lots of old guys on bigger bikes including myself riding around in the summer. I like scooters and would like to see more.
Possibly you're not in the right neighborhoods- there are a lot of scooters in Bend.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:46 AM   #33
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krono View Post
A sumo like mine does all that extremely well, too
Yep, and by fact of being a motorcycle, you look like an ass doing it.

Pull a stoppie on your 510: "Look at that ass, stunting in traffic!"
Pull a stoppie on a Buddy 150: "Look at that guy playing around on the scooter!"

On a motorcycle, if you hang off at normal street speeds, you're an ass. On a scooter, if you DON'T hang off, the loud grinding noises will remind you to hang off.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:59 AM   #34
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,071
What do you mean not so? It was a 50cc Aprilia. It was never tagged and he rode it around Boston until 2009. I live downtown Boston and see scooters all the time. They only have inspection sticker. The thing topped out about 60mph.

Go piss on somebody else...

Quote:
Originally Posted by viverrid View Post
Not correct. It's a motorcycle that requires registration UNLESS it meets the criteria for a moped. From the MA-RMV site:

http://www.massrmv.com/rmv/license/7moped.htm

In particular, 50 cc, and no matter what the cc, note the 30 MPH rule. My local dealer got dragged into a criminal prosecution on this very subject, involving a guy riding a Ruckus. The police borrowed one to run in front of a radar gun, and then wanted one of the dealership owners to testify in court.
Pantah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:58 AM   #35
Zeid
Adventurer

Oddometer: 379
The biggest thing that pisses me off about scooter riders is the fact that they do ABSOLUTELY no research whatsoever into the world of motorcycling. They get suckered into one of those cheap chinese scooter shops and sold a cheap scooter with a glorified bicycle helmet (maybe) and that's as far as it goes. 99% of them never bother to get their motorcycle license and learn by scooting down the street in front of their house. They never wave and look extremely confused at you if you wave at them. The other day I rode up beside this rich looking, pretty little college girl on a brand new shiny vespa that didn't even glance my way, nod, smile or acknowledge I was there. I didn't want a date, but a glance and smile to a fellow two wheeled commuter would have been nice, but again, they don't understand what the motorcycling culture is about.

I wish very badly it wasn't the situation. I've ridden some of the new vespas and they are an absolute blast, I just wish people like the aforementioned didn't give them a bad reputation. It's highly annoying.
Zeid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:35 AM   #36
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeid View Post
They never wave and look extremely confused at you if you wave at them.
I wave at everybody when I'm on my scooter. I've actually seen people start to wave, then pull their hand back when they see I'm on a scooter. Hilarious. When I'm at a light next to a motorcycle I flip up my face shield and yell, "HELLO, FELLOW TWO-WHEELED ENTHUSIAST!" Some of the looks I get! People are crazy.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:43 AM   #37
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeid View Post
The other day I rode up beside this rich looking, pretty little college girl on a brand new shiny vespa that didn't even glance my way, nod, smile or acknowledge I was there.
I guess you didn't get the memo. Once you are over forty you don't exist.

Pantah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:23 PM   #38
Zeid
Adventurer

Oddometer: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
I wave at everybody when I'm on my scooter. I've actually seen people start to wave, then pull their hand back when they see I'm on a scooter. Hilarious. When I'm at a light next to a motorcycle I flip up my face shield and yell, "HELLO, FELLOW TWO-WHEELED ENTHUSIAST!" Some of the looks I get! People are crazy.
I've seen one other guy like this. Some crazy old biker dude, wore a vest full of patches and waved at everyone off his little orange vespa. Confused the heck out of me the first time I witnessed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
I guess you didn't get the memo. Once you are over forty you don't exist.

Good thing I'm under 40
Zeid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:25 PM   #39
Mat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious E View Post
3. Have ZERO concept of proper lane positioning (I can't tell you how many of them I see riding to the far right, on top of the fog line)
You got that wrong, that is EXACTLY the proper lane positioning for those slowpoke roadblocks, so they are easier to pass. Like a bicycle.

I guess scooters are Europe's Harleys in the sense that they are slow and in the way

On the other hand:

Quote:
And I mean hilarious fun. The true beauty of the scooter is that they're unintimidating to other motorists, which means you can get away with riding like a complete asshole. Split lanes. Ride on the grass. Park on the sidewalk. Nobody cares. You're on a scooter.

I'll end with this. I hear people say that they look like a dork on a scooter. Not to put too fine a point on it, but for God's sake, look at yourself. You're middle-aged. You have a beer gut. Your hair is falling out. You ARE a dork. Embrace it.
You got me thinking!
Old 09-13-2013, 08:34 PM   #40
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911fan View Post
Just FYI, the hoodie and dickies will be about as protective as a paper towel while sliding at speed. My jeans flat evaporated at about 35mph on pavement.
1911fan
yeah i know its not atgatt or even my riding jacket. and maybe after i get on faster bikes in different conditions i will think better. but i feel content and comfortable for now

i did hit the ground at around 30mph in one of my hoodies. it did well, as did my jeans, work shoes, gloves, and cheap 3/4 helmet i wore at the time. i was a fairly new rider and did not have the gear i have now but am glad i wasn't the "shorts and flip flops" scooter rider that day

DudeClone screwed with this post 09-13-2013 at 10:06 PM
DudeClone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:08 PM   #41
rokipynes
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
I pass one frequently in my area that amazes me. Early 20s male wearing full moto/endure leg guards, chest and back armor, elbow pads, gloves and NO HELMET. Nice looking scooter and he rides well when I have seen him but WTF. All the gear except a helmet. He appears to be a student at the local college. The figures.
rokipynes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 01:55 AM   #42
hippiebrian
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,895
I just recently traded in a Kymco People 150 on a new Bonneville, as I just couldn't see woning 3 bikes (I also have a klr...WITH the mandatory accessory milk crate thank you very much). Loved that thing! Never wore the armored pants on it, but always a full face, jeans, boots, gloves and an armored jacket. It was great around town, and I actually took it on some 100+ mile rides and it was comfy for those!

Anyone here in Socal, if they are honest, hasn't seen any more stupid riding on scooters than they have on motorcycles. Dumb riders are dumb riders, and I've seen just as many on big wheels as small ones.

I'm happy to see the scoters out! The more riders out there, the more the public learns they have to look for them. Whatever it takes!

I'm a motorcyclist. If it has two wheels and a motor, it's fun as shit, no matter the c.c.'s! Guys on mopeds are just as much fellow motorcyclists as guys on Harleys, Gold Wings, Hyabusas or what have you!
hippiebrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 03:18 AM   #43
Krono
Speed Junkie

Oddometer: 193

Krono screwed with this post 09-15-2013 at 02:26 PM
Krono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 10:25 AM   #44
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 2,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by 390beretta View Post
...and 'gear' doesn't look very cool/european".....
I can only comment on this part - There is a ton of scooter-specific gear over here. It's not heavy Cordura, but it is armored and reasonably sturdy. Not always worn, but it is available and looks very nice.
Old 09-14-2013, 03:33 PM   #45
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
I can only comment on this part - There is a ton of scooter-specific gear over here. It's not heavy Cordura, but it is armored and reasonably sturdy. Not always worn, but it is available and looks very nice.
yeah scooter gear is particularly fashionable. can be as fashionable as any, really. if not a bit obvious for my liking sometimes. but anyway, sure

GoGoGear

http://www.gogogearla.com/

Corazzo

http://www.corazzo.net/