Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2013, 06:25 AM   #61
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,805
I am thinking of picking up a scooter or some other tiny bike in the next year. My new job has me living about 1 mile from work, all of the distance is residential streets with 25-35 mph speed limits. Not the place for my FZ1. If it wasn't for the fact that I work 13 hour days and am on my feet the entire time I would just walk. But a scooter would be more fun
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:28 AM   #62
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,585
Sounds like my job, about 240 hours a month, all standing up..... I'd just walk, from day one, and you'll be fine with it. Plus, if your job is anything like mine, by the time you stroll home you'll much more relaxed. It's a mile. No biggie.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:01 AM   #63
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,893
one mile? all residential? Just walk or bicycle.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:19 AM   #64
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,464
Around me there has been no explosion of scooters, perhaps because there doesn't seen to be any dealers nearby selling cheap chinese scooters. The dealers selling name brand scooters say they don't sell a lot of scooters around here. It's more of a Harley town. I've been riding motorcycles, of all kinds (sport, touring, cruiser, dirt, dual sport) for over 30 years. About 3 years ago I bought a scooter. Six month's later I bought a second. I still have two dual sport motorcycles. I'm going to address some of the comments posted in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911fan View Post
Got more here than we used to, too. For the most part they seem to have no idea they're not in a car, protected by two tons of steel. I think they are a reaction to gas prices. I see a lot of female riders, dressed for the office with little pudding-bowl helmets perched on the back of their heads. NOTGATT.
Makes me cringe, but at least they are riding, and may try upgrading to something funner.... like a dual sport?
1911fan
A dual sport may be more fun, but it depends on where you ride. Last year I rode over 15,000 miles, 2,500 on my dual sports and over 12,500 on my scooters. The duals sports are fun when I can get them up into the mountains where there are twisty roads and dirt to ride in but for everyday riding, my scooters are way more practical AND more fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svs View Post
Small diameter wheels are Dangerous.. Not meant for most U.S. roads...

And the odd looking folk riding them are a new sub culture of independent people who all adhere to the same independent credo...

Hipsters..

I ride scooters and am not a hipster, not even close. None of the scooter riders I have met where hipsters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulfy View Post
Had a 150cc Benelli (used to be Italian now Chinese) scooter. That thing could get up to 55mph with some wind at the back.

Honestly... I'm all for ATGATT on a bike, but scooter IS different. If you keeping it the city, without going on a highway and most of them are not designed or legal to be on highway anyway, no way would I gear up to ride a scooter.

Doesn't have to do with the image, but rather the accessibility of it.

Not only that, but lets say you keeping it at around 40mph on a street without traffic. I'm pretty sure a slide even at 40 is survivable without any gear other than a helmet. Yes you'll get some rash, yes you might break a bone, or twist something, but if you have a decent helmet, you'll be fine.

Not only that, but stopping distances, and drop in speed from 40-45 mph is shorter and faster, than highway speeds where you are going from 55 up to triple digits.

Yes it is still dangerous and you can still end up under a wheel of a bus, but at that point no gear will save you. As far as impact and abrasion goes, you should be able to survive anything bellow 50mph.

Also since you are sitting inside the scooter rather than wrapping your legs around it, like you do on a motorcycle, you are a little bit more protected from the weight of it, landing on top of you.

Dunno, as I said, I'm ATGATT on the bike, but scooter should be more accessible and shouldn't be taken as seriously (rules of the road still apply).
Loved my little orange scooter, and used to go shopping and errands, on it all the time.

The funnest part was going sideways on it, in the snow.
While I do dress a little differently on the scooters than the motorcycles, I can't understand the mentality that somehow scooters are so much safer that you don't need protective gear. I do compromise some when riding around town just for convenience. I still wear FF helmet, armored jacket, gloves, and over the ankle boots of some sort. I often cheat by not wearing real riding pants or motorcycle boots. It's a risk but I'm willing to take it because it's often not practical to wear that stuff for many of my short rides.

I think that many motorcycle riders look down at scooters as some sort of second class distant relative to "real motorcycles". Scooters are better than motorcycles in some ways, inferior in others. For the two scooters I have there are simply no motorcycles available match up well to my scooters for what I use them for.

My first scooter is a Kymco Super 8 150. I bought it new in late 2010 for under $2200 OTD. Kymcos come with a two year warranty. It is the most fun bike I have ever ridden for running around town. It has fantastic handling, except for limited cornering clearance, excellent brakes, and I can put a passenger on the back and barely notice she's there. Top speed is around 60+ and running around at or near full throttle gets me 70-75MPG. I have gotten 80 when taking it a little slower. I can haul a weeks worth of groceries, or stash my jacket, gloves and riding pants in the tail trunk or under the seat while going for a hike.

Show me a motorcycle that matches up for anywhere close to the price of my Kymco.

My second scooter is an Aprilia Sport City 250. I bought it for longer trips and riding two up. $3,744 OTD brand new in 2011. It normally gets 70-75 MPG, tops out at 80+ and will cruise all day at highway speeds. It will handle a passenger better than most of the motorcycles out there under 650cc and better than many of the bigger bikes. My longest trip was 8 states and 2100 miles with my camping gear. Again, try finding a motorcycle that will match up anywhere near the price I paid for it.

My Sport City:

With camping gear.

With passenger.

It handles pretty well two up even on twisty roads.

If you are purely looking for performance, Scooters don't match up to a high performance motorcycle, but for a good combination of fun, practicality, and economy, they can be an excellent choice.

klaviator screwed with this post 09-17-2013 at 10:34 AM
klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:38 AM   #65
sarhog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
My second scooter is an Aprilia Sport City 250. I bought it for longer trips and riding two up. $3,744 OTD brand new in 2011. It normally gets 70-75 MPG, tops out at 80+ and will cruise all day at highway speeds. It will handle a passenger better than most of the motorcycles out there under 650cc and better than many of the bigger bikes. My longest trip was 8 states and 2100 miles with my camping gear. Again, try finding a motorcycle that will match up anywhere near the price I paid for it.
I assume, based on your context, that when you say "bigger bikes", you mean bigger than 650cc.
Care to provide a list of the many bigger bikes that cannot handle a passenger as well as your scooter?
Old 09-17-2013, 10:51 AM   #66
Prettyboy
BFLB

Oddometer: 388
Quote:
My 2011 tu250? I got it for $1600, although new it would have been 3,000ish. It gets between 70 and 85mpg, tops out at 85mph, will cruise all day (at slightly lowered mpg, more like 65) at 70mph. Pulled me along with all my gear (which I had far too much of) for 3k+ miles through 12 states. No noticeable drop in performance with any of the pillions I've carried.

Not from personal experience, but the Cleveland Cyclewerks bikes (Ace and Misfit) also spring to mind, which are 3k brand new.

Prettyboy screwed with this post 09-17-2013 at 11:00 AM
Prettyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:35 AM   #67
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarhog View Post
I assume, based on your context, that when you say "bigger bikes", you mean bigger than 650cc.
Care to provide a list of the many bigger bikes that cannot handle a passenger as well as your scooter?
Pretty much any modern sportbike ( Any GSXR, R6, R1, Duc, ZX-6, etc.) Have you looked at the seats on those things? Many cruiser aren't much better in stock form. Many can be improved with aftermarket seats but on most sportpikes the passenger seat is so small that not much can be done.

I recently walked around a mid-large sized Hon/Kaw/Suz/Yam dealer. I estimated that at least 75% of the bike in the showroom had passenger seats that were a complete joke for anyone other than a 16 year old 90Lb passenger

The bike may be able to handle a passenger but what use is that if the passenger is in pain after 10 minutes?

Also, I have owned a number of motorcycles. I don't know why but the handling of my scooters, especially the Kymco, is less affected by carrying a passenger. The biggest drawback to adding a passenger on a small scooter is that it will slow you down on a steep hill.

klaviator screwed with this post 09-17-2013 at 12:20 PM
Old 09-17-2013, 11:47 AM   #68
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeps View Post
My 2011 tu250? I got it for $1600, although new it would have been 3,000ish. It gets between 70 and 85mpg, tops out at 85mph, will cruise all day (at slightly lowered mpg, more like 65) at 70mph. Pulled me along with all my gear (which I had far too much of) for 3k+ miles through 12 states. No noticeable drop in performance with any of the pillions I've carried.

Not from personal experience, but the Cleveland Cyclewerks bikes (Ace and Misfit) also spring to mind, which are 3k brand new.
The TU250 lists for $4399. The seat doesn't compare to the one on my sportcity. Is that 85MPH GPS verified? Cycle world tested one and only got 76MPH. Disc/drum brakes vs my sport city's triple discs. Then there's the tube tires on the TU. I much prefer tubeless tire since I can easily plug a leak. Changing a Tube on the side of the road is much more of a PITA. The TU 250 is a nice bike but not one I would trade my Sport City for. It is however, probably the closest match to my sport city out there, at least in the U.S.

klaviator screwed with this post 09-17-2013 at 11:55 AM
Old 09-17-2013, 12:04 PM   #69
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
I am thinking of picking up a scooter or some other tiny bike in the next year. My new job has me living about 1 mile from work, all of the distance is residential streets with 25-35 mph speed limits. Not the place for my FZ1. If it wasn't for the fact that I work 13 hour days and am on my feet the entire time I would just walk. But a scooter would be more fun
Do it, bro! You'll be laughing all the way to the bank. In life, there are thigns that will save you money, and there are things that are fun. A scooter is a rare intersection of those two things.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:58 PM   #70
Prettyboy
BFLB

Quote:
The TU250 lists for $4399. The seat doesn't compare to the one on my sportcity. Is that 85MPH GPS verified? Cycle world tested one and only got 76MPH. Disc/drum brakes vs my sport city's triple discs. Then there's the tube tires on the TU. I much prefer tubeless tire since I can easily plug a leak. Changing a Tube on the side of the road is much more of a PITA. The TU 250 is a nice bike but not one I would trade my Sport City for. It is however, probably the closest match to my sport city out there, at least in the U.S.
in 2011 it was 3,999, and I think the 2009 (same bike, but red) was cheaper. I couldn't remember, because I never buy things new. The 85 isn't quite stock, since I changed out the front sprocket to make it a little taller (15 bucks or so). But yeah, scoots are pretty cool.

I like manual transmissions though.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:48 PM   #71
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,417
scooters are pretty cool, yes. and fun and practical and lot's of different kinds these days. big wheels small wheels, big frames small frames. and 50cc to 700cc+

i am glad i started riding scooters in earnest when i first started to ride. it kept me out of the " i need bigger, faster, ive outgrown this bike" syndrome i see some riders in. then they get bored and quit riding! but for my kind of riding....100% urban....a small, nimble bike like a scooter is awesome. and in lane splitting Cali? its a no brainer choice on most city streets, and i'll never get bored. because scooters have shown me its not about the bike, its how and where you ride it

they get me up and about on the streets when i don't need the freeway and will save wear and tear on my motorcycles when i get one or two of those. nice, small, fun and convenient bikes to have around that complimant any mc imo. simple carb models are easy to maintain with a bit of help from fine forums like this....and its just twist 'n go bliss

DudeClone screwed with this post 09-17-2013 at 04:29 PM
DudeClone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 04:49 PM   #72
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeps View Post
in 2011 it was 3,999, and I think the 2009 (same bike, but red) was cheaper. I couldn't remember, because I never buy things new. The 85 isn't quite stock, since I changed out the front sprocket to make it a little taller (15 bucks or so). But yeah, scoots are pretty cool.

I like manual transmissions though.
I have always preferred manual transmissions but on a scooter, a CVT makes sense.

I'm also not trying to say that my Sport City is better than your TU. It's just a better bike for what I use it for and for my preferences.

I happen to to think small and light bikes are more fun. I'm guessing that we agree on this since you ride a 250.

Old 09-17-2013, 04:59 PM   #73
Prettyboy
BFLB

Quote:
I have always preferred manual transmissions but on a scooter, a CVT makes sense.

I'm also not trying to say that my Sport City is better than your TU. It's just a better bike for what I use it for and for my preferences.

I happen to to think small and light bikes are more fun. I'm guessing that we agree on this since you ride a 250.
It sounds like a great little machine. I considered a scooter before settling on the TUx, and I think I made the right choice, although, I would probably be saying the same thing if I had gotten a scoot.

At some point I might get up to a 500 or something like that (small twin, larger thumper), but honestly, I don't really see the need. Only place (off a track) I really would need more than 250 would be the freeway, and the freeway sucks anyway.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:15 PM   #74
131unlimited
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 390
Quote:
Around me there has been no explosion of scooters, perhaps because there doesn't seen to be any dealers nearby selling cheap chinese scooters. The dealers selling name brand scooters say they don't sell a lot of scooters around here. It's more of a Harley town. I've been riding motorcycles, of all kinds (sport, touring, cruiser, dirt, dual sport) for over 30 years. About 3 years ago I bought a scooter. Six month's later I bought a second. I still have two dual sport motorcycles. I'm going to address some of the comments posted in this thread.

A dual sport may be more fun, but it depends on where you ride. Last year I rode over 15,000 miles, 2,500 on my dual sports and over 12,500 on my scooters. The duals sports are fun when I can get them up into the mountains where there are twisty roads and dirt to ride in but for everyday riding, my scooters are way more practical AND more fun.

I ride scooters and am not a hipster, not even close. None of the scooter riders I have met where hipsters.

While I do dress a little differently on the scooters than the motorcycles, I can't understand the mentality that somehow scooters are so much safer that you don't need protective gear. I do compromise some when riding around town just for convenience. I still wear FF helmet, armored jacket, gloves, and over the ankle boots of some sort. I often cheat by not wearing real riding pants or motorcycle boots. It's a risk but I'm willing to take it because it's often not practical to wear that stuff for many of my short rides.

I think that many motorcycle riders look down at scooters as some sort of second class distant relative to "real motorcycles". Scooters are better than motorcycles in some ways, inferior in others. For the two scooters I have there are simply no motorcycles available match up well to my scooters for what I use them for.

My first scooter is a Kymco Super 8 150. I bought it new in late 2010 for under $2200 OTD. Kymcos come with a two year warranty. It is the most fun bike I have ever ridden for running around town. It has fantastic handling, except for limited cornering clearance, excellent brakes, and I can put a passenger on the back and barely notice she's there. Top speed is around 60+ and running around at or near full throttle gets me 70-75MPG. I have gotten 80 when taking it a little slower. I can haul a weeks worth of groceries, or stash my jacket, gloves and riding pants in the tail trunk or under the seat while going for a hike.

Show me a motorcycle that matches up for anywhere close to the price of my Kymco.

My Sport City:

With camping gear.

With passenger.

It handles pretty well two up even on twisty roads.

If you are purely looking for performance, Scooters don't match up to a high performance motorcycle, but for a good combination of fun, practicality, and economy, they can be an excellent choice.

no f*ckin way can I get that. more power to you, but no f*kin way !
131unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:27 PM   #75
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by 131unlimited View Post
no f*ckin way can I get that. more power to you, but no f*kin way !
In all seriousness, why not?

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote