Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2013, 02:31 PM   #76
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 10,636
couple of weekends ago, I saw three farily large groups of riders (20+) . . . one was sport riders, most with helmets securly locked to their tailsections . . . . another was cruisers (mostly but not exclusively HDs) . . . these two groups of folks had the mandatory motorcycle scowl papsted firmly to the front of their heads, look all bad assed and consitpated . . .

the group of scooterists were all grinnning like loons . . . . clearly, having fun.

me, I like fun.

might have to add a scooter to the motor pool
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:45 PM   #77
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber60015 View Post
couple of weekends ago, I saw three farily large groups of riders (20+) . . . one was sport riders, most with helmets securly locked to their tailsections . . . . another was cruisers (mostly but not exclusively HDs) . . . these two groups of folks had the mandatory motorcycle scowl papsted firmly to the front of their heads, look all bad assed and consitpated . . .

the group of scooterists were all grinnning like loons . . . . clearly, having fun.

me, I like fun.

might have to add a scooter to the motor pool
Scooters are best enjoyed when you also have a motorcycle, especially a small scooter. When you ride the scooter it feels like a fun little toy. When you get back on your motorcycle, even if it's fairly small, it will feel really powerful and fast. Also you will find yourself riding more because the scooter is just so fun and practical on short trips. It will also save wear on your motorcycle or cage.

klaviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:51 PM   #78
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 10,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
Scooters are best enjoyed when you also have a motorcycle, especially a small scooter. When you ride the scooter it feels like a fun little toy. When you get back on your motorcycle, even if it's fairly small, it will feel really powerful and fast. Also you will find yourself riding more because the scooter is just so fun and practical on short trips. It will also save wear on your motorcycle or cage.

This last would be tough for me (I think I have to charge the pickup's battery or it won't start from inactivity), but it's really good point.
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:16 PM   #79
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post

That's why I just keep a small motorcycle with a larger one. Getting on my VFR after a few days of riding the 250 makes the VFR feel like a guided missile.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 02:20 PM   #80
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
That's why I just keep a small motorcycle with a larger one. Getting on my VFR after a few days of riding the 250 makes the VFR feel like a guided missile.
I had a DR250. My Super 8 made it feel like a heavy pig.....OK, a fast heavy pig.

Performance wise, small scooters won't impress too many people, the fun factor however is off the chart.

John Burns summed it up pretty well in this Cycle World Article:

http://www.cycleworld.com/2010/11/15...50-first-ride/

Old 09-19-2013, 04:14 PM   #81
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,395
Maybe it is good that there are so many haters. One thing i love about the scoot is being able to just leave it wherever and it much less likely to get stolen. If people wanted them this might change.
Vertical C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:52 PM   #82
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical C View Post
Maybe it is good that there are so many haters. One thing i love about the scoot is being able to just leave it wherever and it much less likely to get stolen. If people wanted them this might change.

Depends how many hipsters are around.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:47 AM   #83
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer: 584
Here all of them are liquer cicles here in southern VA , mostly black men or white trash that have lost there licenses . Dealers have popped up in about every small town and you them every where .
Hawk62cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:11 AM   #84
WR_guy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 883
Don't diss the Scooter!

I've been riding for 40 yrs. I've owned dozens of bikes. I am still a competitive "B" Enduro rider. I have a penchant for small displacement bikes (won my class in 2011 on a 125).

I recently bought a SYM Citycom 300i and LOVE IT!

Gets 75mpg will cruise 75mph all day. Tops out at 85mph.

It is hands down the most comfortable bike I have ever owned including some big bore bikes. Zero vibration...comfy seat...the best weather protection this side of a Gold Wing.

I can carry tons of junk in the trunk and grocery hook is handy too. Reliable as a falling brick.

This afternoon I am riding it 100 miles to our weekend place. I take my tools, clothes, water, tire pump, a couple gallons of paint, bag of groceries...you get the picture.

Yes, a 300 NINJA handles better, has better brakes, will smoke it in a drag race etc.....however you cannot even store your jacket in stop and go traffic....and God forbid you are tooling around at 3-4k rpm and need to move right now! Twist the throttle 2 gears too high and you go nowhere fast. The scooter has full accelleration available at any time. The CV trans spins the motor to a 6k rpm torque peak immediately and off you go. Also if it rains on the NINJA you gotta stop on the scoot you tuck in and ride

Yes the bike has a much higher level of performace but how many speeding tickets go I really need to get. Do I really need to ride 90mph on the street. I rather race in the woods.

Also, it is more engaging to ride a bike with limited power fast. How hard is it to pass traffic on a GSXR? Try to make time on a 21 hp 400lb machine. What will happen to your manhood when someone passes you on a scooter?

Around here the traffic and speed limits are so bad you could not challenge a GSXR no matter how hard you tried without going to jail or dying in the process.

For $4k you can't beat the utility of a scooter.

Try it....you'll like it!
WR_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:13 AM   #85
alicethomas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 428
In Europe, if it is a sunny +30C day, you can see the big tough motorcycle guys hanging around the pubs and ice cream parlours.
They make much noise and wear coloured fancy dresses, you will easily spot them.

But autumn comes and they will soon hibernate again in their tempered caves.
The little scooter guys (+girls!) remain. No matter if in cold fog or snow.
I like the winter, the silence and grey scale gives him a serious appearance.

If you happen to meet a motorcycle rider in winter times, he is propably from former GDR (or even more easterly).
(Where you had to wait for buying a car for about 10 years - if you were granted a qualification certificate by the single political party.
But 2-wheelers have always been on the free market.)
alicethomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:24 AM   #86
AirforceGSRider244
Hardcore adventurer

Oddometer: 91
You gotta be really comfortable with your sexuality and manhood to ride a freaking moped. not that im not comfortable or thing with mine but thats besides the point. only reason people ride mopeds in my home state indiana is because theyre either broke, a pedophile, a convict, a drunk, or just a complete shitbag and cant get a car.
i only ride motorcycles. currently dont own a car.

troll finished
AirforceGSRider244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:26 AM   #87
AirforceGSRider244
Hardcore adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
Depends how many hipsters are around.
i hate hippies with every strand of DNA/RNA or anything other form of dna in my entire body. freaking scurge of the earth.
AirforceGSRider244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:23 AM   #88
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirforceGSRider244 View Post
You gotta be really comfortable with your sexuality and manhood to ride a freaking moped. not that im not comfortable or thing with mine but thats besides the point. only reason people ride mopeds in my home state indiana is because theyre either broke, a pedophile, a convict, a drunk, or just a complete shitbag and cant get a car.
i only ride motorcycles. currently dont own a car.

troll finished
Between this post and your sig line, I must admit I have a little bit of a boner. You're a certified badass!

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:41 AM   #89
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 903
Cracks me up the stereo types here. Sure there are a bunch of 50cc junk scooter riders who are totally clueless but not so many in Texas because you have to a full m/c license. If you aren't grandfathered in because you've had a license for years and MSF course is mandatory before you legally ride anything that isn't restricted to less than 30mph. We don't have liqourcycles though it used to be possible to get a moped license but its a serious ticket if you ride faster than 30mph on one of those and you'll have to take the MSF course as a consequence of your ticket. I've seen the guy who had done nothing more than pass the MSF course drop his brand new chromed out Harley before he got out of the dealer's lot (almost $40k out the door according to the friend who sold it to him). The SQUID on the sports bike wearing black jeans, black t-shirt, no helmet pulling a wheelie on the causeway from Galveston so dumb ass riding isn't limited to the person who picked up a $500 scooter over on Harwin (cheap Chinese importers in Houston) riding in flipflops, shorts and t-shirt without a helmet.

Last year I put over 12,000 miles on my scooters. Yeah, that scooter's plural. My primary in-town scoot is a Vespa GTS 250 which I adore because I can park it places where the Triumph would get a ticket. Cops smile at it while they write a ticket for the m/c parked next to it. Never mind that the reason the two are parked together is because we've been riding the last 2 hours including a stint on the freeway at 85 (gps verified) before stopping for a bite to eat.

However most of the miles were put on the bigger scoots - Aprilia Scarabeo 500 from Houston to Washington DC in the spring going up Natchez Trace over to play around Deals Gap then up the Blue Ridge up to Gettysburg then through the Appalachians in West Virginia (gotta love those logging trucks - NOT!) finally back down the Ozarks. 3,700 miles ridden in 9 days and everything from 94f in Texas to 60f in the pouring rain in Virginia for the highs, 40 for the low.

Took the Piaggio BV 500 from Breckenridge, CO up through Rocky Mountain National Park, Crazy Horse, Mt. Rushmore, Sturgis, Badlands over to Lake Geneva for Amerivespa. Found it amusing that as I'd come up on a group of motorcycle riders heading east on I-90 from Walls, SD I'd see the inverted V coming down acknowledging my approach. When I pulled even some of them would jerk their hand back when they realized they were being passed by a woman on a scooter. After Amerivespa I went around the southern part of Lake Michigan. I'd have gone all the way around except that I didn't have enough time so took the Lake Express Ferry back to Wisconsin picking up N.D. then down to Yellowstone, Grand Tetons back to Breckenridge for another 4,400 miles. I'd put some photos in but I haven't gotten around to updating my blog with all of the trip photos.

Mostly I ride in full gear though it doesn't always look like motorcycle gear. My ride back from California on my son's Aprilia Sports City in March of this year was done wearing Nolan N43 Trilogy helmet (love that helmet with its large viewport but still full face), GoGo Gear armored hoodie or trench which I can wear into a business meeting, kevelar riding jeans and TCX Riding shoes that look like hightop sneakers but are armored and waterproof. I will admit that if I'm taking 30mph streets over to the pool for my 1.5 mile swim I may wear non-armored pants/shirt/jacket, running shoes and helmet (never ride without a helmet) but hey you could go almost as fast on a bicycle which is what many folks take from where I live to the pool.

FWIW, I ride a scooter by choice not because I can't shift a motorcycle. Houston in the summer is not when you want a hot engine between your legs. As klaviator they handle well in the twsities when I ride with my brother on his BMW and his friends on assorted other bikes. Sure if you want to go far into triple digits they will leave me in the dust but that's why I don't ride a sports bike - I don't need the tickets even if I do keep eyeing a couple of the Aprilia bikes and a Ducati they had last time I took the Aprilia Scarabeo in for service. In town the Vespa has them beat and on the road the Scarabeo is a far better tourer than a sports bike.

cdwise screwed with this post 09-20-2013 at 11:47 AM
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:20 PM   #90
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Here's what happens when you trash talk our scooters: