Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2005, 07:51 PM   #1
rokklym OP
one man wolfpack

Oddometer: 4,427
Exploring Wisconsins Black River Forest

Wow, My second ride report today!
I organized a gravel backroads tour and we went out and did that yesterday.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91842

At the end of the day while riding a trail I slid into a rock and crushed my foot and lower leg between the rock and the bike. That hurt like HELL! I was sure I screwed something up. My plan for today was to go out mountain biking but my leg was pretty sore and you kinda need that biking, so I though I'd go for a ride on the XR instead.

Hmmm, where to go? I've pretty much ridden out all the gravel in the area while scouting for my ride, so I decided to go north towards Black River Falls.
After Enduraid in June I rode through here and stopped and checked out the river a bit, I thought it was pretty cool looking so why not try to find some interesting roads near it.

Here is a pic of the Black River

Cool right? Well I took a look at the map and figured I'd ride some back roads up to the town of Melrose and try to ride some of the river roads.
I had to pass a tittie bar on the way there, almost stopped my ride there, but I pressed on!
Found a nice little canoe landing

A pretty neat bridge over a stream

Found a cool little section of singletrack at the landing and rode that a little ways but it started to get a little overgrown and I knew I was kinda doing something wrong, so I turned around headed on my way
rokklym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 08:01 PM   #2
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 5,516
Your too ambicious. Mountain bike, eh? I used to race those and road bikes. Now I'm fat and lazy and need a motor.

I'd like to ride the trails of Black River Falls someday. If anyone else is up for that, let me know.
2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 08:11 PM   #3
rokklym OP
one man wolfpack

North I go on some nice straight gravel road

I rode into Black River Falls and headed south towards Brockway, then took a road I knew towards Castle Mound, a place I go sometimes for Rock Climbing. along the wat I noticed a trail below some power lines and decided to check that out.

That seemed to end about a mile in so I truned around and headed back. This was a pretty fun little trail, some bumps and sand pits to keep me on my toes.
I headed north towards Wazee lake, the deepest inland lake in Wisconsin at 300+ feet deep. Its and old Iron mine that filled up with water and is now a county park and a very popular scuba diving spot. I decided not to pay to get into the park and turned around and kept exploring. At an intersection I noticed the road ahead of me wasn't on my GPS...

Looks interesting!

Fun, Fast doubletrack!

After an intersection, the dirt road I was on turned into a wide sand road with big tire ruts. The road was actually really dry on top so the ruts were real hard, but had sand at the bottom. Made for some tough riding in spots.
I'd be cruising along at a good pace and I'd come into one of these rutted sections and things would get hairy. It hard to ride in truck ruts!

I noticed another set of bike tracks, not sure how old they were though. I came over a little rise at one point and saw a big mud hole that kinda looked dried up but I noticed the other tire tracks swerved around it. I was going a little too fast to react so I went across it. I started slowly sinking, just barely making the other side.

That isn't the mud hole I went across, just another along the way.
I really didn't want to get in over my head since nobody knew where I was and I was alone. The sandy trail was a handful but I decided to keep pressing on. I was hoping that things didn't get any worse.
Old 08-14-2005, 08:17 PM   #4
rokklym OP
one man wolfpack

Fun fun fun!!

Oh, heres the reason the roads were so shitty, logging operations.

Phew, back on doubletrack! Enough of that sand crap

Hell, I'm near a frickin' interstate, the adventures gonna be over soon.
Old 08-14-2005, 08:25 PM   #5
rokklym OP
one man wolfpack

Well, maybe the adventure isn't over. I noticed a rocky little trail along the railroad tracks. There was a no tresspassing sign to my left but nothing to the right..this might be worth checking out. I actually saw the other end of this earlier in my ride so what the hell.

I rode this for about 3.5 miles and the trail started to get a little worse so I decided to cross the tracks here.

This lead me to a highway

Back on the highway..adventures over.

or maybe not.

These trails were all over the place! No signage, just trails. awesome.

great trails
Old 08-14-2005, 08:30 PM   #6
rokklym OP
one man wolfpack

Well, back on pavement. At least its narrow and twisty

Holy crap! another trail...here we go

These roads reminded me alot of the stuff I rode up in the U.P. a month ago. I really had trouble in the sand in the U.P.,so it was kinda fun to get back into some sand and try some different techniques.
Old 08-14-2005, 08:38 PM   #7
rokklym OP
one man wolfpack

Its starting to get late, time to think about heading home. I found a road on the GPS and headed for it.

Maybe not

I don't think I better trespass on these guys land. I can't believe my own uncle sam doesn't want me to visit. Oh well.
I rerouted and got on my way home. I had to avoid the temptation of riding sweeet looking trails along the way. I ended up with about 145 miles round trip. I didn't know I could have so much fun this close to home! I saw about a dozen deer, many turkeys, one cop, and luckily no rangers.

A damn fine afternoons ride.
Old 08-14-2005, 08:51 PM   #8
rokklym OP
one man wolfpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whlrcr
Your too ambicious. Mountain bike, eh? I used to race those and road bikes. Now I'm fat and lazy and need a motor.
Yeah, I love Mountain biking. I used to go riding twice a week but since I got the Moto, I pretty much stopped biking. Now I've gained about ten pounds from not doing anything strenuous so I though I better get back into it.
What better motivation than getting a new bike?

It fun as hell but the motor isn't worth a shit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whlrcr
I'd like to ride the trails of Black River Falls someday. If anyone else is up for that, let me know.
Hey, I'm up for that! The thing is you have to stay off the ATV trails unless you like riding super deep sand. there seems to be plenty of other unmarked trails around there.
Old 08-14-2005, 10:45 PM   #9
Anthony
Hurry up, Stephie!

Oddometer: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokklym
Yeah, I love Mountain biking. I used to go riding twice a week but since I got the Moto, I pretty much stopped biking. Now I've gained about ten pounds from not doing anything strenuous so I though I better get back into it.
What better motivation than getting a new bike?

It fun as hell but the motor isn't worth a shit!
Yeah, I have a bunch of those bikes and all of them are running a little rich these days. Too much fuel; not enough air!
Old 08-15-2005, 07:10 AM   #10
Phloodpants
Freelance subversive

Oddometer: 332
Quote:
I'd be cruising along at a good pace and I'd come into one of these rutted sections and things would get hairy. It hard to ride in truck ruts!

HA!! Luxury!

Phloodpants is offline   Reply With Quote