Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2013, 10:58 AM   #91
SeanPNW OP
Water Bear

Oddometer: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDWPUNK View Post
I normally don't join in the group back slapping that goes on around here, but I just wanted to say that you are traveling through Mexico on your stomach, and that is the right way to do it! Well done, sir!

I have eaten in a lot of countries, and in my opinion the food and food culture in Mexico is as rooted in history, nuanced, complex and delicious as anywhere, and frankly more so than most.

I spent a few years living in Central Mexico (Mexico, Hidalgo, Queretaro, Guanajuato and Oaxaca). Most tourists totally miss out on the best parts of Mexico by skipping straight to the beaches and resorts. I especially like that you are taking the time to make friends, which is another thing that your casual vacationer misses out on: people who are genuinely friendly and hospitable and are not paid to be that way. Keep up the great work on this report! Que le via muy bien! Andale!
Thanks IDWPUNK, pretty hard to beet following your stomach. Food is a window into an areas culture, and as you said, it's history. If I miss out on the food I miss out on an important part of the experience. Seems like staying well fed and well imbibed here won't be an issue though.
SeanPNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 03:10 PM   #92
Ruckusment
Wanderlust & Fernweh

Oddometer: 5
Urge to Leave the PNW

Sean you have definitely added fuel to the fire for me to leave the PNW. Helping you get dubiously inebriated the day before was the icing on the cake.

I am loving your report, it is amazing to have the perspective of the solo traveler. The last trip I did solo and it added to the experience. Now you have me searching here for well farkled KLR's so I can come meet you at the Darian Gap.

Also I'm assuming you brought with you a laptop or something of the like to do the photo uploads and reports right?

Keep eating your way through the world man and good luck, I'm loving it.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:44 PM   #93
SeanPNW OP
Water Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckusment View Post
Sean you have definitely added fuel to the fire for me to leave the PNW. Helping you get dubiously inebriated the day before was the icing on the cake.

I am loving your report, it is amazing to have the perspective of the solo traveler. The last trip I did solo and it added to the experience. Now you have me searching here for well farkled KLR's so I can come meet you at the Darian Gap.

Also I'm assuming you brought with you a laptop or something of the like to do the photo uploads and reports right?

Keep eating your way through the world man and good luck, I'm loving it.
Hey man glad to hear it. As you know, no need for a specific bike, anything that'll spin you down the road will do just fine. A DR, Harley, BMW, scooter, pink tasseled tricycle, they'll all get'er done eventually. Looking forward to hearing about where you head on your next trip.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:09 PM   #94
SeanPNW OP
Water Bear

25. Slapping Rock In DF

Being the second largest city in the world, DF has a lot to offer. From the various latin and foreign cultures that congregate here, a wealth of activities are born and the excuse of “I’m bored”, just doesn’t fly. As with any big city, you can find something new to do on any given day, usually you don’t have to look very far either. One activity that I am always in pursuit of, is climbing. Turns out though, there’s some pretty darn good spots that happen to be right at the edge of the city.

Much like adventure motorcycling, climbing is one of those activities that for the most part is completely selfish, and for all practical purposes, it doesn’t contribute anything to anyone else but those that are the ones doing it in that very moment. Yvon Chouinard - a famous climber, entrepreneur, and personal hero of mine, once called climbers “conquerors of the useless”.

It is an activity that is for you, and you alone. However, just like adventure motorcycling, climbing can be a good vector for teaching you important lessons about yourself, life, and the world around you. For me, the two addictions are about the same stuff. Challenging oneself both physically and mentally, putting yourself outside of your comfort zone and into new experiences, and through the process, hopefully attaining some sort of personal growth while having a bitchen good time.

My new roommate, Dante, said he’d show me some of the local spots, so we set out to see what DF had to offer. After weaving in and out of traffic we reached the very outskirts of DF where the smaller communities start to fade away into the mountains. Here we found what is technically a city park, and is contained within the governance of DF. It’s a place that seems transplanted straight out of the pacific northwest, and at 8k ft above sea level, the geography is surprisingly similar as well. We parked the car and started the hike in.

The hike in is less than a kilometer, but we gain 1k ft in elevation in that distance. Currently we are at around 9k ft, I felt out of shape pretty quick.

The trail to the location where we’ll be slapping some rock cuts off the main trail and heads straight up to the main walls.

There are 4 different areas in this park, we are headed to one called Segunda, it’s not the biggest area, but still has ~70 separate routes. Plenty for us.

We found the base of the wall that we were looking for, and I promptly got excited like a kid in a candy shop. This was the first bit of real climbing I’ve seen since I was in california.

We spent the early afternoon warming up and shaking off the dust on some warm up routes.

This is Dani, one of Dante’s friends, he also came to have some fun outside the city.

The views at the top of the routes were good. You can see most of DF in the background. Everything that isn’t concrete and steel is part of the park.

Dante said there was a really good route on another wall, so we went to go check it out.

Here we found our prize. This chunk of thick, vertical, dense useless rock may not look like much to most people, but this looks pretty damn sweet to me.

There were several routes on this wall, but the one that we wanted climb was the one that went right up the middle. I don’t remember the name of the route, or if it even had one. The rating was a 5.12a (if that means anything to anyone) and was a technical and fairly sustained face climb with small feet, crimps, and several two-finger pockets. The moves were fluid, and super fun. Here’s a quick vid I made of the route (~3 min).

Dani had been projecting this route and made his first ascent of it today. Congrats Dani.

Dante also jumped on and got’er done. Shit yeah Dante.

Eventually the end of the day came and we scraped together the last of the routes that we could. I was burnt, my fingers were toast, and the day was done. We ended up hiking down in the dark which wasn’t ideal, but the long day of good climbing made up for it.

20 minutes of driving later and we were back in Mexico City, drinking beer and eating food. Haven’t been to a ton of places where I can spend a good full day climbing, not hike in very far, and be back in time for dinner no sweat. Cheers Mexico City.

SeanPNW screwed with this post 11-08-2013 at 11:25 PM
Old 11-10-2013, 07:49 AM   #95
Eagletalon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 390
Liking your approach on this trip. Have seen part if Mexico that many miss. The riding video was incredible. Your ride report along with others is giving me the itch to get and go.

Later
John
Eagletalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:08 AM   #96
vintagespeed
fNg

Oddometer: 1,713
very cool RR!

i came to a wall like that blocking my path one time out in the dez......fortunately there was a road up on the backside.

TAT-2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913898
SoCal_NoDak-2012: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829203
vintagespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:32 PM   #97
SeanPNW OP
Water Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagespeed View Post
very cool RR!

i came to a wall like that blocking my path one time out in the dez......fortunately there was a road up on the backside.
There's usually always an easier way, don't know why climbers like taking the stupid way up, as they say "conquerors of the useless".
Old 11-11-2013, 07:47 PM   #98
Montek
Eternal Noob

Oddometer: 974
great rr

Sean, great report! enjoying the shit out of this
Old 11-11-2013, 07:57 PM   #99
SeanPNW OP
Water Bear

26. Exploring Toluca (Video)

Last week Jose and I hung out with our new friend Edgardo and did some maintenance on our bikes. We met him at a motorcycle shop a week or so earlier and after we got to talking for a bit he said if we had anything we needed to do, he had a shop we could work in. Meet Edgardo.

We all got some work done on the bikes, and it was really helpful having such a well equipped shop to do the work in. Beets working in a parking lot anyday.

Edgardo said we should go riding with him and his dad this weekend. They said there are some nice areas to explore if you like getting off road. Sounds great to me.

Saturday morning I met up with Edgardo and his dad, Riccardo. We were headed roughly North for a city called Toluco. It’s a growing metropolitan area and is also the capital city for the state of Mexico. This metropolitan part wasn’t the part we were interested in though.

Along the way we stopped for some tacos.

After getting through Toluca we turned into a pullout where we could start the dirt. The weather and scenery here is very similar to the pacific northwest, except we are at around 8500ft and technically in the tropics.

The riding was good and they showed me a bit of everything.

We had smooth wooded areas.

Wet and muddy areas.

Log crossings.

Wrong turns.

and plenty of spills. Well...just me. 14 if I’m being honest.

After the above tumble Riccardo said I’ve earned a beer. Plenty more happened after this though….so more beer for me right?

They showed me tight slick sections.

River/pond/things?

And fun undergrowth trails.

Every now and then they let me rest.

The terrain varied widely as we road through various areas. They both knew the region well and road here often. Everything was new to me and every turn brought something exciting. There were many different tracks and routes to turn onto, and sometimes no tracks at all. Then you could simply just go wherever you wanted to. Here we found a playground of rolling hills, mud, and water crossings.

Sometimes it got pretty deep, but none of the bikes got flooded. This pic was near the edge of a crossing so deep but not too deep to stop.

This crossing got a water level right up onto the tank, you can see the water grass stuck onto the pannier racks. Good fun.

I say “water crossing” like it was something that we needed to cross. We didn’t need to cross anything, it was just fun to.

It was a beautiful place to play for the day, with endless amounts of land, forest, and trails to ride.

Here’s a video I put together for the day. Thanks for running me through the ringer guys, I had a blast.

After we left Toluca we headed to a small tourist town for some afternoon grub before heading back to DF. The town explodes on weekends and is a very popular place for people to come to when they want to get out of the city. Today it was slammed with bikers for some reason. Mostly harleys and cruisers. We fit right in with all of our mud.

We parked our bikes out of the main line-up to not embarrass all the chrome.

We walked around for a bit, grabbed some food and shot the shit about the good riding we had sampled throughout the day. I had a blast today, and it was great fun riding with Edgardo and Riccardo. They showed me a dualsport wonderland and gave me a taste for what the area has to offer. They said it only gets better though, as there’s lots more to ride around here. By the end of the day I was beat but all I wanted was more. They said the riding today was a 3-4 out of 10 in terms of difficulty and of what’s available. I got dumped and spun-off the bike all day long like a baby on a bicycle (I counted 14 times I had to pick the bike up), and there’s harder and better riding to be had...shit yeah! I could definitely learn a lot from riding with these guys, I didn’t see them go down once all day.

I’ve caught myself several times now reclassifying the “best day of riding” that I’ve had so far. I’m going to hold my tongue on this one, as I think I’m going to have to just accept that there’s lots of good riding to be had down here.

SeanPNW screwed with this post 11-11-2013 at 10:40 PM
Old 11-11-2013, 08:56 PM   #100
Shooby
Anti-Cager

Oddometer: 851
Great Video / Audio, very well done !

And Great Pic!

Shooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:37 PM   #101
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 3,575
Damn Sean your getting really good at this.
  • Consistent postings - check
  • True adventure rider (no poser here) - check
  • Superb narrative - check
  • Incredible photography - check
  • Local food hunter - check
  • Shredder and crasher - check
  • Video compilations getting better & better - check
  • Relationship building, city by city - check
  • Livin' large - check

Huba huba

Ahem, Look out Sir Coalbatch; just saying.
AteamNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 01:00 AM   #102
kosh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
awesome video dude. Looks like the bike is putting up with a lot of abuse
kosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:05 AM   #103
vintagespeed
fNg

Oddometer: 1,713
all those water crossings look fun, but you're going to need to re-lube those wheel & swingarm bearings pretty soon or else they'll fail you in the middle of nowhere. do it while you have a shop to use.

TAT-2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913898
SoCal_NoDak-2012: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829203
vintagespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:41 AM   #104
SeanPNW OP
Water Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosh View Post
awesome video dude. Looks like the bike is putting up with a lot of abuse
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagespeed View Post
all those water crossings look fun, but you're going to need to re-lube those wheel & swingarm bearings pretty soon or else they'll fail you in the middle of nowhere. do it while you have a shop to use.
She see's her fare share of abuse but she seems to like it, as long as she gets some TLC in between the roughhousing. With the water this weekend, giving her wheel and swingarm bearings a Re-packing is on the list.
Old 11-13-2013, 01:01 AM   #105
redlabelmoto
n00b

Oddometer: 7
unreal rr op. yeah, jelly I am.

Your buddy Zach up here in latte-land txtd me yesterday asking if I had or knew of a decent adv bike all set up for this sorta thing. He's got it bad it must be said... you've set a firm hook.

This well farkled '99 specimen has now been duly tested by said buddy. A virgin it is. I've just returned from his bar after receiving my complimentary beer-and-shot.

He said he'd have to quit his job to make it happen. "So what?" I said.

redlabelmoto is offline   Reply With Quote