Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2013, 10:22 AM   #16
snakebitten
Small Town Hick

Oddometer: 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
So you're saying the blond has a younger sister?
Word is.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:08 AM   #17
yamalama
wet coaster

Oddometer: 1,042
other than not having the abs, you are describing my 1991 Super Tenere
yamalama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:37 AM   #18
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamalama View Post
other than not having the abs, you are describing my 1991 Super Tenere
Don't forget to throw a shaft drive in there for good measure.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:52 AM   #19
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Oddometer: 6,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
New news Vegas! It is not discontinued. We just cant have any 2014's because we haven't used up all the 2012-2013's.

So maybe...maybe there WILL be a few updates?? Woot!!!
VEGASGSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:57 AM   #20
snakebitten
Small Town Hick

Oddometer: 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGASGSA View Post

So maybe...maybe there WILL be a few updates?? Woot!!!
Should know soon enough. Yamaha notified US dealers that they can order 2014 models come March 2014.
But I suspect other countries will know what changes, if any, before that.

Stay tuned. :)
Old 09-16-2013, 12:18 PM   #21
RideDualSport.com
TPB all the way

Oddometer: 1,426
An ADV styled top box doggy crate would be an awesome upgrade for 2014.

Alaska Deep Adventure
RideDualSport.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:28 PM   #22
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,885
Sallydog has the prototype and it has already been crash tested several times.

pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:44 AM   #23
Flydream
King of the Atlantic

Oddometer: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
Sallydog has the prototype and it has already been crash tested several times.

Yes... That's the third dog... going for another test.
Flydream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:41 PM   #24
Harry Potter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Tenere vs 1200Gs and Ktm 990

Hi Gryphongryph
I am going to take your post a little more seriously than the others. The Yamaha dealers I have visited are having a very hard time moving the Tenere which would suggest maybe a few changes are needed. The Tenere is selling so bad that a dealer gave me a new one to test ride over the whole weekend and said donít worry about getting it dirty. So I got it dirty.
1. Unleash the powerógood idea. The power feels very much like my 2001 1150GS. I didnít have to get this switch or that remap to unleash the power in my 2011 1200GS
2. I didnít notice the cable being in the way.
3. Did you mean to the handle bars instead of from? I really do like the access to the computer on the handle bar of my 2011 1200GS. It makes for quick checks of that ambient temp as it gets close to freezing and when youíre checking that last drop of reserve.
4. I couldnít believe it didnít have a gear indicator but then it took BMW years to get one on the F650GS. Hopefully Yamaha adds this for 2015. There is an aftermarket company GPro I think that makes a very good working add on indicator. I have one on my Wr250R and on my F650Gs. Is cruise control something that is real reliable? I donít know but GMís original cruise sucked big time and took constant service to keep it working.
5. I donít know the pros and cons of steel verses plastic gas tank but could they save a few pounds there? On the other hand the tank on the Tenere is probably the part of its looks I like the most. Itís like the 1150GS which I like the looks of much better than then new 2013 Plastic GS. Speaking of looks my daughter thinks the Tenere looks like a spider from the front and canít stand it. From the front it reminds me of the mouth of one of those worms in the movie version of Dune. I love the looks of the bike when I am riding it but canít stand to look at it from the frontójust me.
6. Iíve never felt the need to change screen height while driving but being able to lower it easily before you hit the dirt would be great. When I test rode the BMW 1600 I thought moving the screen height was a fun toy to adjust wind noise so you could hear the speakers better.
7. This is what Yamaha does better than anyone else according to Consumer Reports and is the scariest thing about buying a BMW 1200GS. Yamaha USA parts supply is to be envied. Once the warranty is out on the BMW you had better have very deep pockets or sell. Service is what keeps my closest BMW dealers in business. It really sucks to get harassed by HD riders when your BMW breaks down.
Some thoughts on my test rides:
I have my 1150Gs and my 1200Gs up for sale because even though many consider the 2010 and newer BMW 1200Gs to be the bench mark for ADVRiding it is not the bench mark for reliability nor do itís dealers care what inconvenience the bike causes you. Itís not out of their pocket if the BMW bike blows a $1800.00 clutch repair that will take weeks to get a clutch plate from Germany.
The steering on the Tenere feels very different from the BMW in that at first it tires your muscles. It feels slow but maybe slow is good. I did a forty mile dirt and pavement test ride on a new 2013 KTM 990 Baja (dealers arenít moving them very fast eitherógood deals could be coming) and the steering is the opposite. Pavement daydreaming on the KTM could get you in trouble. The slow steering on the Tenere allows you to enjoy the landscape just for a second longer. I have a practice course and do drills weekly on the big bikes so that the small ones feel like bicycles. When I took the Tenere out I was amazed at how responsive the bike is to the pegs. You can easily guide the bike with your feet alone, no heavy arm work needed. In the dirt the bike feels like it has a built in steering stabilizer, better than the Rally Moto I have on the big GS. It does ruts up or down hill better than either of my big BMWs. This bike is the bench mark for ruts. It cruises them without any need to dab. My sand section is at best only 6 inches deep and the bike cruised it like I was on a TW200. Oh the bike had Tourances on it. The bikeís headlights are much better than my BMWís. Compared to my sonís Vstrom the Tenereís are equal in spread and depth but are whiter. The Ktm 990 only has 450 watts the Tenere has 600. Up here in the north, heated gear is a must. Extra lights are also a must to spot those ditch crawling deer. The Ktm 990 blows heat right on both thighs. The BMW cooks the feet. The Tenere disperses the heat off the rider the best. The Tenere is the benchmark on heat dispersion. The Tenere simply has less to go wrong in compared to my 2011 1200GS and the KTM 990. So currently the Tenere is on the top of my list to buy but I have until late winter to decide. The new Vstrom DL1000 looks very interesting and the current DL650 just makes sense. My wife shattered her collar bone on a motorcycle (she was the pilot and sole rider,) and now with a plate and 9 screws in it she says she will never ride on one again. Maybe I donít need a big 1200 anymore to ride to Alaska.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:03 PM   #25
soggysandwich
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Thank you Harry,,, I very good write up
soggysandwich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:33 AM   #26
slipknot
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 806
nice review

Harry Potter, thanks for the review. Very helpful.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:20 PM   #27
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,797
I almost bought a S10 and test rode 3 different ones.

1. What I'd like Yamaha to fix is the stupid throttle response, it's lame. Just program the dang thing to be linear as if a cable were connecting things. It's not hard to do. And make it easy to turn off the TC and ABS. Other companies do it, why not Yamaha? Let the nanny go on vacation.

2. Removing weight is good, but it applies to most all of the big bikes.

3. I would personally like less plastic on the bike, but I understand why it's there given how Yamaha laid things out. It was a factor that turned me off though. I don't mind the front end styling at all, I'm not keen on beaks and I think Yamaha has carried the Dakar race bike look forward reasonably well.

4. I think the engine could use a little retuning to make it feel more interesting. It's not bad, but it's nowhere near as exciting to ride as my Stelvio or most of the other bikes. regardless of power output, just the feel of the engine. At least they gave it a 270 crank, that was a good move.

That fun factor was part of what swayed me to the Stelvio, plus way less plastic and it was much easier to service/work on. It had a cable connection to the throttle bodies with no power restrictions and easy to turn off TC and ABS, F the nanny.

Otherwise I think it's a darn good bike. I would not touch the handling.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S

danketchpel screwed with this post 09-20-2013 at 10:22 AM
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:38 PM   #28
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,728
About a month back, I was able to borrow a buddies S10 for the weekend and put about 700 miles on it. My normal bike is an 09 Vstrom 650 and I've owned 5 vstroms over the years including one DL1000 in there that I did not like at all. The 650 strom is a great value, but its definitely an over weight beast that needs a few things and I certainly have missed owning a liter type Adv bike over the last couple years.

I've lusted after a GS1200/ADV for a long time, but with my budget I'd have to buy one out of warranty and that scares the crap out of me and has kept me from ever pulling the trigger.

I had had a couple test rides on the S10 prior to borrowing this one and I thought it was okay, but never really wowed me. However, after spending the weekend on one, I came away much more impressed so I guess it took a little more time to really get to know the bike. Now going forward, I actually think the S10 is higher on my list than an GS1200. One of the biggest reasons is just reliability, but also value. Used S10's are definitely coming down in price and making them much more attractive on the used market.

The one thing I came away liking the best on the bike was the ABS. Wow, Yamaha got that right, even with all the off road riding I did that weekend. Hit the front lever first and you get both the front & rear brakes activating together with ABS that just works great. I was amazed at how quickly you could slow down, even in the gravel. Hit the rear lever first and you get just enough slack to start locking the rear tire before the ABS helped you out. IMOP, this worked great.

I generally had TC in 2 and in touring mode for gravel riding, which again allowed you just enough to start sliding the rear coming out of a turn, but not getting crazy. The rear street tire on that bike was getting a bit worn, so I was trying to be gentle, but if it was my bike, I'd probably have TC off and spinning it up more. However, when the terrain got pretty rocky, you really needed TC off completely. I do wish you could flip it off while you were moving. That was a disappointment to have to stop to turn it off or change it.

Overall, I was happy with the Sport and Touring modes. I liked Sport mode on the street and touring mode in the dirt. I did find the steering quite a bit slower and heavier than my strom, but I think the worn tires on that bike take some of the blame. It did however make the bike very stable and confidence inspiring off road for sure. The bike is heavy, but I was amazed at how well it would tractor down low in the RPM range when you really needed it. This is something the DL1000 would never do and one of my biggest reasons for hating that bike.

I do wish the bike had a gear indicator. Its becoming so common these days, but its certainly not a deal breaker. Real cruise would be nice, but again, there aren't many bikes in that class that have cruise anyways.

Overall, I think Yamaha did a great job on it.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:25 PM   #29
Harry Potter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Some added comments to my 48 hours with a Tenere

My son and I gently laid the Tenere over on its side in the grass as well as with his 650 Vstrom. No gear on either bike and both bikes had a half tank of gas. Both bikes felt the same when lifting with maybe a slight edge to the Tenere. I can say that I have dropped both my 1150GS (worse) and my 2011 1200Gs enough times to say the Tenere was easier to lift. The Tenere really does seem to carry its weight much lower than the BMWs.
The seat is a personal thing and I found the Tenere to be much more comfortable than the BMWs. I rode the Tenere for a full weekend without an AirHawk and I canít ride my BMWs for more than an hour without an AirHawk.
As to the Tinereís clutch lever pull, the Tenere pulls very hard to me. Let me qualify this by adding that I have carpal tunnel surgery scheduled for my left hand in a month. The BMWs donít come close to making my left hand hurt as much as the Tenere did. A lady rider once told me that the BMW F700Gs kills her left hand but the 1200GS doesnít. The KTM on a 40 mile ride made my left hand screaming at the end. I have read several times that one should be able to pull the Tenere clutch with your pinky but I could not on this particular sample. If there is a fix to this bike please let me know.
Oh yes the no ABS off switch. It did not create a problem but I think it would be better if the Tenere had one.
Hope this helps for anyone considering a Tenere.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:41 PM   #30
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
The one thing I came away liking the best on the bike was the ABS. Wow,
Yes. It's unfortunate that a years worth of off road tweaking and a generation ahead of others at the time of release was dumbed down into No ABS switch - deal breaker, even by so called testers. (Who probably just went 100m down a track for a photo op)

Quote:

Overall, I was happy with the Sport and Touring modes. I liked Sport mode on the street and touring mode in the dirt. I did find the steering quite a bit slower and heavier than my strom, but I think the worn tires on that bike take some of the blame. It did however make the bike very stable and confidence inspiring off road for sure
Some, but the bike is built with stability in mind. On predictable surfaces I stop thinking about it. On unpredictable surfaces I think how much I appreciate it all the time.

Quote:
The bike is heavy, but I was amazed at how well it would tractor down low in the RPM range when you really needed it.
CHUGGA CHUGGA. !

Quote:
Overall, I think Yamaha did a great job on it.
Can't help but agree.

Just a few niggles to fix, try and loose a bit of weight, piss those low gear restrictions off, TC on the fly and that should be good for a 3 year refresh. The "Cafe Set" won't get it but those who use it as intended will.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote