Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2013, 11:09 PM   #31
Snake Doctor
Crazy Bearded F***er

Oddometer: 127
I'll put my thoughts in, I have owned oilheads and airheads and always thought they were great bike. My Beemers never had an issues with their tranny's or final drives, or any of the other issues you always see people ripping BMW about. Unfortunately the Cam Head didn't do too much for me. When the S10 came out, it was a special order, so finding one on the showroom floor was near impossible until about 6 months or so after the release date. When I finally got the opportunity to test ride one, my GS' days were numbered, especially at a $4K difference in the S10's favor for a new bike compared to a new R1200GS.

Now I don't much care for gear indicators, and the cost to have the ECU reflash is pretty minimal if you wanted it, but what I liked was how it handled off-road, especially the intuitive ABS system. Unfortunately my opinion with the BMW ABS system is that it needs an off switch, because its absolutely horrible off road, and if that system is all you are familiar with, well your missing out. The Yamaha is easy to service yourself, and not mugger with a gun if you choose to let the dealer do it, the dealer network is leaps and bounds better than BMW, Guzzi, and Triumph, and parts are readily available and aren't outrageously priced because it has a roundel on it. Plus their are as many quality aftermarket parts available as the GS, and you can kit out a Tenere quite nicely for the same price as a basic R1200GS without luggage.

Lastly but not least, and I will qualify this by saying my S10 is my first non-BMW bike; the fact that BMW has fallen behind Harley Davidson in quality and reliability in recent consumer reports, is not good for the brand. With that said, I am not a fanboy, but rather the right tool for the right job kinda guy, and right now the S10 does that. I might go back to BMW, but not while the Tenere keeping doing what it does.

IBA# 55955

Snake Doctor screwed with this post 09-19-2013 at 11:27 PM Reason: I can't spell for shit
Snake Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:27 AM   #32
DSTEVENS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
Reading about BMWs and how bad they are scares the don't you know out of me, as I have 3 more years to pay for mine. Honestly I would have bought a Tenere, but I could not make myself like it, and I tried because local dealer turned me loose on one and would have made me a good deal, as in MUCH cheaper than loaded GSA. But I did not like the seating position, bars or power delivery, I since learned of the trick for power, but It was the GSA that did it for me, and of course everyone has a preference, IF I have issues with BMW, I will bail on them and bike for another, that is the best part, lots of choices, 4 years per bike for me and its time for new and hopefully improved. D.
DSTEVENS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:57 AM   #33
snakebitten
Small Town Hick

Oddometer: 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTEVENS View Post
Reading about BMWs and how bad they are scares the don't you know out of me, as I have 3 more years to pay for mine. Honestly I would have bought a Tenere, but I could not make myself like it, and I tried because local dealer turned me loose on one and would have made me a good deal, as in MUCH cheaper than loaded GSA. But I did not like the seating position, bars or power delivery, I since learned of the trick for power, but It was the GSA that did it for me, and of course everyone has a preference, IF I have issues with BMW, I will bail on them and bike for another, that is the best part, lots of choices, 4 years per bike for me and its time for new and hopefully improved. D.
Seating position, bars, and power delivery.

Check
Check
Check

By the way, all common upgrades for many folks, regardless of what bike they buy. And when you are done, you have a Yamaha. You sleep at night. :)
Old 09-20-2013, 10:14 AM   #34
ExpatADV
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
I love my Super Tenere and for the way I ride it fits the bill peefectly even if it is heavy. This, however, would've been an awesome alternative and a true homage to Yamaha's rallying roots... Check it out:

http://youtu.be/g1abnuD384M
ExpatADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:25 AM   #35
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpatADV View Post
I love my Super Tenere and for the way I ride it fits the bill peefectly even if it is heavy. This, however, would've been an awesome alternative and a true homage to Yamaha's rallying roots... Check it out:

http://youtu.be/g1abnuD384M
Here's the video

Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:49 AM   #36
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Doctor View Post
, the dealer network is leaps and bounds better than BMW, Guzzi, and Triumph, and parts are readily available and aren't outrageously priced because it has a roundel on it. Plus their are as many quality aftermarket parts available as the GS, and you can kit out a Tenere quite nicely for the same price as a basic R1200GS without luggage.
There's no question about that for sure, and Yamaha does build very reliable bikes at a reasonable price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpatADV View Post
I love my Super Tenere and for the way I ride it fits the bill perfectly even if it is heavy. This, however, would've been an awesome alternative and a true homage to Yamaha's rallying roots... Check it out:
Nice video. I find that very interesting, but I'd personally like a 70-75 hp 750 twin (or maybe triple?) with grunt that was a bit smaller and came in around 415-425 lbs. If it's 500 lbs then just stick with the existing 1200.

I really prefer the slower, more stable, handling. Like many have observed, in the REAL world it works better. You can relax much more at higher speeds and it tracks better in the funky stuff. I'm not a fan of the current light switch handling concept that's so common now. For 600 sport bike it might be fine, but not on most other bikes. I HATE how nervous feeling my KLR is at speed, just hate it, you can't ever relax when riding it above 60 mph or so.

BTW, a Vstrom 1000 will grunt down low just fine when it's been properly remapped but doesn't have the flywheel mass of a S10 or Stelvio.
09 Kawi KLR650 - for sale
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 07:34 AM   #37
Stobie
Mr. Motivated

Oddometer: 1,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by danketchpel View Post

That fun factor was part of what swayed me to the Stelvio, plus way less plastic and it was much easier to service/work on.
Dan,

What on the Stelvio is easier to work on, besides the valve adjustment?

Problems cannot be solved at the same level of awareness that created them.

-Albert Einstein
Stobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:24 AM   #38
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
Here's the video
Is 900 its weight in kilos, or the seat height in cm? It's the latest trend in tiny sub-1500cc motos.

Some are guard dogs of the flock. Some herders, search/rescue, or companions. We Devildogs are those, and also retrievers. Hell is our blazing dogpark, our frigid swimming hole. The fallen are our tennis balls. We don't leave the fallen behind, even if the master has to bring them home for us. Semper Fi, my friends.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:41 AM   #39
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,213
Quote:
Here's the video
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:53 AM   #40
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
X2 Want
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:54 AM   #41
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Oddometer: 6,803
Quote:
Here's the video

I just felt funny in my pants..

I'd put a deposit down Monday morning..
VEGASGSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 01:28 PM   #42
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,466
Yamaha should do R ST1200 like this:

Yamaha Super Ténéré off road modifications: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=797977
jaumev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:00 AM   #43
abhi
XC on RE

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Here's the video
Beautiful.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:46 AM   #44
Don T
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 433
From what I have heard, the S10 will be updated for 2014.

A friend of mine is a Yamaha dealer and last month he went to a dealer meeting at the Scandinavian importer.

They were told that Yamaha would reveal an updated S10 at EICMA in Milan in November.
The update should include slightly lower weight, a bit more power and some other minor changes.
I'm going to EICMA and are looking forward so see what Yamaha brings to the table.

I've had the chance to do a whole days test ride on the S10, and I liked it, but not enough to buy one - hopefully the updates will change that - otherwise I might end up with a R 1200 GS (LC)...
Don T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:25 AM   #45
Harry Potter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Don T

Hi Don T --When in November can we expect to see your Milan report on the next Tenere? Thanks.