Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2013, 04:32 PM   #76
Stobie
Mr. Motivated

Oddometer: 1,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by danketchpel View Post
Most everything on the Stelvio is out in plain sight. Obviously the valves and spark plugs are practically in your lap and the valves are screw type adjusters. When you need to turn the motor over to do the valves it's only a rubber plug in the front of the engine that needs removing to access the large nut on the crank. It's dry so no worries about oil etc.

You can balance the TBs without removing anything, nothing. The vacuum ports are right there and the single adjustment screw is practically staring you in the face.

You can reach the starter right away. Most of the wiring is accessible fairly directly, battery and fuses right under the seat.

The fuel pump can be removed without pulling the fuel tank off. If you do have to pull the tank it's about 6 bolts and 10 minutes or less.

You can remove the rear wheel super quick. The front is probably the same as the S10.

I think changing the oil is about the same except there is a separate oil for the transmission on the Stelvio.

The only job that seriously sucks on the Stelvio is servicing the clutch. The S10 has it beat there by a mile. But.... you can service the transmission without splitting the engine cases. So that's give and take I guess.

Over all it's probably about the easiest bike I've owned to service or work on.
Dan,

I meant to thank you for taking the time to make such a detailed response. The Stelvio and the S10 are really the only bikes on my short list.

So, um, thanks.

Problems cannot be solved at the same level of awareness that created them.

-Albert Einstein
Stobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:19 PM   #77
AKoffroader
Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
Getting "it"

I was forced to ride a Super Tenere on a 40 day ride around Africa (2011) when my riding partner's 660 Tenere was replaced by the rental agency and he wouldn't take the S-Ten.

Three days later I called my wife and asked her to order one. 9,000 miles later, still loved it. I was amazed the places you could take it fully loaded. Ran tracks that said "4 wheel drive only".

Picked my 2012 up in August 2011. Still love it.

I don't understand all the complaints about power and no ABS. When I put mine in Sport mode and red line it through the gears I really don't see how you need more power in an "all roads" touring bike.

The bike I had in Africa had an ABS kill switch on the handle bar. Tried it in the off position for a while then turned it back on. The bike just braked better with it on. You can add this same switch for a few bucks if you want to but you won't use it if you try it.

Anyway, the complaints seem to be coming from guys who don't know what their talking about or are the kind of guys who will complain about anything.

The bike is fine right out of the crate. Just put gas in it and ride.

Take care,

AK Greg
2012 Yamaha XT1200Z
1978 Yamaha TT500
AKoffroader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 05:53 AM   #78
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 16,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKoffroader View Post

Take care,

AK Greg
The bike is 'okay' out of the crate. With a reflash it's great out of the crate.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:06 AM   #79
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
The bike is 'okay' out of the crate. With a reflash it's great out of the crate.
Exactly. I liked the bike before the reflash, now I LOVE it!
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:12 AM   #80
pretbek
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 911
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
Only you would put it back in the crate after a reflash, just to be able to say this.
pretbek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:29 AM   #81
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,023
I've always regretted selling my '99 Viffer....

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrcris View Post
Nowhere near that, 112,000mi, but I"m on the 4th RR, 2nd stator, it's got a salvage title, needs head & wheel bearings. Forks and shock need to be rebuilt too. The engine itself though, wowwee. I wish we got that 800 crosstour/runner.
What difference does the salvage title make? Isn't there a more reliable RR available? Suspension always needs to be rebuilt on any bike. Ditto for head and wheel bearings. Ain't worth selling it for what you could get and you'll miss the sound of that camgear drive V4 later, hang onto it even if you get another bike...
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:34 AM   #82
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKoffroader View Post
I was forced to ride a Super Tenere on a 40 day ride around Africa (2011) when my riding partner's 660 Tenere was replaced by the rental agency and he wouldn't take the S-Ten.

Three days later I called my wife and asked her to order one. 9,000 miles later, still loved it. I was amazed the places you could take it fully loaded. Ran tracks that said "4 wheel drive only".

Picked my 2012 up in August 2011. Still love it.

I don't understand all the complaints about power and no ABS. When I put mine in Sport mode and red line it through the gears I really don't see how you need more power in an "all roads" touring bike.

The bike I had in Africa had an ABS kill switch on the handle bar. Tried it in the off position for a while then turned it back on. The bike just braked better with it on. You can add this same switch for a few bucks if you want to but you won't use it if you try it.

Anyway, the complaints seem to be coming from guys who don't know what their talking about or are the kind of guys who will complain about anything.

Take care,

AK Greg
Interesting feedback, love the bit about being "forced" to ride the S10 for 40 days around Africa.

I think Yamaha could just add the little ABS kill switch and fix the ECU program to be as close to the current reflash as EPA will let them and it would be enough.

I agree it has enough power stock and I'm pretty sure the reflashed version would put a smile on most rider's faces. There is too much emphasis on mega power, we don't really need 150 hp. I'd be more intersted in seeing the character of the engine changed to make it more inspiring, ie it torques but still likes to rev instead of just going along with it. That's the quality the Guzzi had that made me change my mind about buying the Tenere.
09 Kawi KLR650 - for sale
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:14 AM   #83
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer: 1,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by danketchpel View Post

I think Yamaha could just add the little ABS kill switch ..............
Have you got an S10 ?? If not, have you ridden one off road and tried the ABS ??
Old 10-10-2013, 08:18 AM   #84
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Oddometer: 1,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Git Ray View Post
Have you got an S10 ?? If not, have you ridden one off road and tried the ABS ??
+1

torque, the s10 engine happily motors along at 2000 rpms or less in low gears and is a pleasure to ride off asphalt. It also very quickly hits the rev limiter when commanded and that's without an ECU reflash
Old 10-10-2013, 08:19 AM   #85
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,174
Yamaha put about 10 or more pages in the service manual to explain the UBS/ABS and TC, and how it adjusts to conditions, to weight of bike, 2up or not.

I think to put an off switch would be a waste of their engineering time after all the work they did on making it work in all conditions. No one can understand it until they take it offroad for 4 hours and having to get back out no matter what. Getting caught out on dirt after/during a rain and slipping all over the place, 2up, so slick you can barely remain on the center of the crown of the road. Riders around you are turning around, and sliding off the road. Then you will get it!

llamapacker screwed with this post 10-10-2013 at 08:29 AM
llamapacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:28 AM   #86
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Git Ray View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapacker View Post
Yamaha put about 6 or 8 pages in the service manual to explain the UBS/ABS, and how it adjusts to conditions, to weight of bike, 2up or not.

I think to put an off switch would be a waste of their engineering time after all the work they did on making it work in all conditions. No one can understand it until they take it offroad for 4 hours and having to get back out no matter what. Getting caught out on dirt after/during a rain and slipping all over the place, 2up, so slick you can barely remain on the center of the crown of the road. Riders around you are turning around, and sliding off the road. Then you will get it!
+1. Even on as a non-owner of an S10, all it took was one weekend on one riding off road for me to realize how well ABS actually worked off road, and depending on if I hit the front brake first or the rear, you can get it to behave exactly as you need. Previously to this, my only experience with ABS off road was my wife's F650GS (single) and a BMW GS1200. Both of which will leave you scrambling on a steep rocky down hill wondering where your brakes just went.

The S10 ABS works off road and works brilliantly.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:41 AM   #87
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,318
Let's think in Yamaha's terms about the ABS. The company has designed & invested in an ABS system that really truly works.

A small number of people don't want the system. So the business calculus is if the company provides a way to turn off this safety feature, how many sales may be lost, versus how many post-accident lawsuits?

Seems like an easy answer from that perspective.
Old 10-10-2013, 02:25 PM   #88
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapacker View Post
Yamaha put about 10 or more pages in the service manual to explain the UBS/ABS and TC, and how it adjusts to conditions, to weight of bike, 2up or not.

Totally agree, but it goes to show that that 10 pages should have been in the Marketing blurb and Advertising.

Even then I get the feeling that people would choose not to believe it.

They did a great job, spent time to get it right (A year in Nth Africa doing development) and it turns out that all they had to do was spend 10 minutes on EBay to find an off switch supplier.

There are lots of well thought out things on this bike. Everyone just sees HP and weight.

I think YAMAHA needs to release a jacked up R1.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:31 AM   #89
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer: 1,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post

There are lots of well thought out things on this bike. Everyone just sees HP and weight.

+ 1

As the old proverb says: There are none so blind as those that will not see.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:58 AM   #90
lukasteam
Life is beautiful !!!

Oddometer: 438
I think Yamaha should do absolutely nothing except uncork it straight from the factory ( that's what second generation re-flash does ) and maybe 21"-18" wheels ,but that's nit picking .

lukasteam screwed with this post 10-12-2013 at 05:43 AM
lukasteam is offline   Reply With Quote