Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-14-2013, 07:50 PM   #1
1worshipguy OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Question Garmin 665 install

Two basic (probably n00b) questions that I can't seem to find answers to...

1. Is the GXM 40 USB "puck" just for XM/Sirius radio reception? I'm pretty sure I don't need it installed if I don't plan on using those services right now.

2. Should I run the leads directly to the battery (with proper connections crimped on of course)? Or is there a "switched" option? I read somewhere that the Garmins pull a small .25amps even while off. Is that small pull remedied by undocking the head unit? Seems like a "switched" option would be ideal, but not sure where to go from here.

Thanks ADV.
1worshipguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 10:17 PM   #2
Snarky
Vodka Infused.

Oddometer: 1,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1worshipguy View Post
Two basic (probably n00b) questions that I can't seem to find answers to...

1. Is the GXM 40 USB "puck" just for XM/Sirius radio reception? I'm pretty sure I don't need it installed if I don't plan on using those services right now.

2. Should I run the leads directly to the battery (with proper connections crimped on of course)? Or is there a "switched" option? I read somewhere that the Garmins pull a small .25amps even while off. Is that small pull remedied by undocking the head unit? Seems like a "switched" option would be ideal, but not sure where to go from here.

Thanks ADV.
1. The Zumo 665 has a built in GPS antenna, you don't need to connect the GXM 40 if you're not using XM/Traffic/Weather.

2. You should run the leads to a fused relay that is activated when the key is on. This is pretty much the standard for wiring vehicle electronics. If you search google based on your particular bike, you'll find all kinds of tutorials I'm sure. If you have a BMW, certain Harleys, or other type of higher tech touring bike, there is likely a particular power tap for a GPS that is already set up.

While I'm pretty sure the Garmin pulls no where near a quart of an amp @ 12v when powered off it's just good practice to activate your electronics with a keyed on relay imo, but that's just me. The garmin might pull 250milliamps at 5 volts, simply because it's a usb device, but it should only do that till the battery is charged, as long as it's powered off. Then it'll probably have a negligible trickle drain associated with every battery, probably pulling less power than your main battery is losing just sitting there.
Pledge today! Service guarantees citizenship. @ http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com Thanks.
Snarky is offline   Reply With Quote