User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2013, 06:20 AM   #1
steelerider OP
Southafricanamerican

Oddometer: 888
"Well, you were very lucky, it could have been worse"

So last month a deer decided to attempt suicide by running out of the forest and into my bike. Result? 4 broken ribs, fractured collar bone (fixed surgically) and fractured scapula, plus a spendy helicopter ride to the ER. Also, $4400 worth of damage to my new bike (511 miles on the clock). I was ATGATT like I always am - head to toe. What has really started to annoy me is everyone telling me, (mostly people who have never ridden) how "lucky I am, and it could have been much worse"
WTF? As if all the painful injury, and surgery wasn't bad enough. Plus the damage to my new bike. Also, choosing to wear expensive protective gear no matter what the conditions, has nothing to do with being lucky - that is just smart. It wasn't luck that I was wearing my helmet either - that was by choice. Actually, I think having one deer decide to run into me in 85k arces of state forest, quite unlucky.
Them after you are told you were lucky, you get told a story about how they knew someone's cousins friend, uncle, brother, who was tragically killed in some motorcycle accident, and of course they were doing nothing wrong.

People may mean well, but its almost condescending, and totally dismissive.
Here's a tip, if you've never ridden a bike, then it's probably not best to tell a motorcyclist who is injured, and trying to recover that he was lucky, because honestly you have no idea what you're talking about.

Anyone else have the same experience? It's driving me nuts!!
steelerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 06:29 AM   #2
eddie bolted
BOING!!!

Oddometer: 3,544
That sucks,bad time of the year for deer running .

It's mostly Dan........I knew he couldn't keep a secret(SCOTTY P)
eddie bolted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 06:40 AM   #3
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,703
its gonna be like that from time to time with people. especially non riders you just have to humor them

although i know its hard being you are injured and bike messed up and now will have to overcome a few things while riding again. they just don't understand

i've not been told this stuff after an accident becuase i have only had a minor one. but otherwise i have been told its dangerous, shown pictures of burning motorcycles under trucks, and every time someone hears of a fatality somehow the news reaches me whereas before i rode no one ever said to me "did you hear about that motorcycle accident? the guy DIED"

and what am i supposed to say if i did or didn't?

idk
Old 09-15-2013, 07:08 AM   #4
steelerider OP
Southafricanamerican

For real.
It's interesting that just about every day, you can read our local news and there's a report of either a fatal vehicle accident, or one where someone was injured. It happens all the time. No one bats an eyelid. Or those same voices who will tell you how dangerous riding is, will drive past a fatal vehicle accident and think nothing of it, and keep on driving. I'm no fool, I know that riding a bike has inherent risks, in some areas more than being in a vehicle. But I believe that the risk can be controlled enough to make it safe enough for my tolerance. A friend of mine was arguing how dangerous bikes are (she's never even been on a bike). I told her that safety in her car is an illusion. In other words, when you are driving down a two lane rd, and a truck weighing 80k lbs passes you in the opposite direction, at 55 mph you are literally seconds, and feet away from instant death, at that point you are no safer in your car, than on a bike. She paused for a second, and stopped arguing. Point? Most non riders are quick to judge, but don't really know what they are talking about, considering they face many of the same risks themselves, every day.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:23 AM   #5
farqhuar
Lone Wolf

Oddometer: 1,050
"it could have been worse" is simply a euphemism for "you are still alive, and not dead".

I don't think you should interpret their comments as condescending, far from it, they are actually trying to help you put a positive spin on what was otherwise a negative experience.
farqhuar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:40 AM   #6
steelerider OP
Southafricanamerican

True.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:43 AM   #7
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,368
Many people have been killed while riding a bike and being hit by a deer.

Serioulsy, you were vey lucky and it could have been worse.

I can't understand your consternation about others well-meaning comments.

Would you rather hear "I told you riding a motorcycle was dangerous" or totally dismiss your incident and say nothing?
Old 09-15-2013, 08:23 AM   #8
Unstable Rider
Sick Till Tuesday

Oddometer: 2,476
I have had several close-calls with deer on my bike. I really pride myself at being able to spot them, at least the casual one's that are grazing near the side of the road, you have plenty of time if you are alert, you slow down, tell them nicely to stay the fuck off the road and have a nice day, and ride on.

But it's those death wish Ninja-stealth mode deer that slip through the cracks.. the ones that leap before they look, dart out into the road cause they are nervous, spooked, being chased, or it's just plain dark out and you don't see em till it's typically too late.

I will not tell you that you are lucky. I will say I am glad you are still here to speak of it.

I do my best each fall to rid my part of the world of the great horned rats. I think hunting deer does give a rider some insight as to how they react, do weird shit, etc.

Meet "Thor".

Thor died this past fall due to lead poisoning at close proximity to my posistion in the woods attired in orange.

At about 20 feet, a 180 grain soft tip 30.06 round did not/could not penetrate his massive neck. I found the round inside him later during processing. He largely went to breakfast sausage. A bit over 220 pounds, + or -.

Apologies to those offended by deceased game animals.

Unstable Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:28 AM   #9
Dirtbiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Well meant.

I've started riding, at least over a year and a half ago. Doing what's right isn't just LUCK, wearing the right helmet, wearing the right clothing and isn't just LUCK either.

Living in Texas, there are alot of people that think, because I wear gear everyday I ride, I'm just burning up, and I'm not.

Although, I do feel a little warm stuck in traffic.

But, I love it, when I met a nurse, (and she goes out of her way), to thank me for wearing gear in the first place.

That one nurse, who went out of her way, told me, she treated road rash. The stories she told.

Your Blessed. Stay alive. Wear the gear.
Dirtbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:12 AM   #10
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

"it could have been worse" is a relative thing, i suppose. i mean that can be applied all the way up to "better off dead." at which point it really couldn't be worse imo

when i had my single rider fall my injuries were fairly minor. the usual swollen knees, elbows, a bit of road rash here and there, bruising. nothing could really be worse except i could have broken something, or needed medical attention somehow? but i did not. i suppose the one thing that could have been worse was my right hand, which was sprained and bruised and swollen enough to keep me from working for a couple weeks and riding for six. that could have been broken. but it wasn't

i could speculate like in a movie what could have happened "if," and this and that. but why bother? your injuries could have been worse but so could most peoples. folks just want you to know they are glad they weren't. and in a way to acknowledge they understand what you do can be dangerous, and they somehow think of you out there. "You were lucky." imagine what they might have expected?

people who don't ride view it differently. and they will always say things that sound silly to riders. as said it must be hard to just nod your head and grin when you well know what can happen.....because it did!! and thats bad enough without having to hear "could have been worse" from every other person you greet

or just laugh and say "what, this ain't bad enough for you?"

bam!!
Old 09-15-2013, 09:18 AM   #11
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,697
Heal fast and well.

Out of curiosity... What were you riding? Did you see the deer? Did the deer hit you/or did you hit the deer?

If you hit the deer, were you swerving (trying to avoid impact) when you made contact? Or were you upright and braking?

DAKEZ screwed with this post 09-15-2013 at 09:25 AM
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:30 AM   #12
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

if i even see a deer much less hit one, i'm leaving los angeles
Old 09-15-2013, 09:31 AM   #13
tominboise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 677
Not to hijack the thread, but that's a sweet buck right there.....

1995 DR350SE - mini adventure bike,,,,
1982 R65/80 G/S - bigger adventure bike,,,,
tominboise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:32 AM   #14
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,516
Some squid on a 650GS passed me in the middle of nowhere Kansas then kept going full speed, I'd assume around 100 MPH. Roads were infested with pronghorns then I saw his brake light come on and a big brown patch to his right. Then I came upon the little one he killed...must have missed the mom by inches.

He was stopped so I did also and all I told him was "You were so F....g lucky!" He nodded in agreement, bike looked fine and so did he so I took off. I hope he slowed down after.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:32 AM   #15
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerider View Post
So last month a deer decided to attempt suicide by running out of the forest and into my bike. Result? 4 broken ribs, fractured collar bone (fixed surgically) and fractured scapula, plus a spendy helicopter ride to the ER. Also, $4400 worth of damage to my new bike (511 miles on the clock). I was ATGATT like I always am - head to toe. What has really started to annoy me is everyone telling me, (mostly people who have never ridden) how "lucky I am, and it could have been much worse"
WTF? As if all the painful injury, and surgery wasn't bad enough. Plus the damage to my new bike. Also, choosing to wear expensive protective gear no matter what the conditions, has nothing to do with being lucky - that is just smart. It wasn't luck that I was wearing my helmet either - that was by choice. Actually, I think having one deer decide to run into me in 85k arces of state forest, quite unlucky.
Them after you are told you were lucky, you get told a story about how they knew someone's cousins friend, uncle, brother, who was tragically killed in some motorcycle accident, and of course they were doing nothing wrong.

People may mean well, but its almost condescending, and totally dismissive.
Here's a tip, if you've never ridden a bike, then it's probably not best to tell a motorcyclist who is injured, and trying to recover that he was lucky, because honestly you have no idea what you're talking about.

Anyone else have the same experience? It's driving me nuts!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerider View Post
Omg. This thread is still going? I think it's (ATGATT) overrated.