Oddometer: 380
nah

Red9 screwed with this post 09-16-2013 at 04:32 PM
Red9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:40 PM   #32
Barterer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Sure the 'could have been worse' comment is well intentioned. But when something bad just happened, to me it comes off as a cliche'd and annoying little truism. Yes, in a hypothetical alternate universe, the misfortune might have been worse. But how is a little relativistic spin supposed to change the way you feel about actual events? Things might also have been better, so what? I don't see any more reason to feel better about the hypothetical worse than I should feel worse about the hypothetical better. What a cheap little mind game.

Normally I would dismiss the cliche without another thought, but there is another annoying aspect to it. Which is, not giving you credit for the precautions you took. Converting the good results of your actions to nothing more than fortunate chance, throwing it to the gods. It's quasi-religious thinking. Anything that turns out bad.. well, you're a motorcyclist after all, you should feel a slight guilt for that, take your crash as a 'message' and be thankful it didn't turn out worse. Anything that turns out good.. like you wearing your helmet and not also suffering a crushed skull.. ALSO gets converted to your 'good luck.' Basically, anything that's good is a parade for 'good luck' to get in front of.. bullshit.

You are not lucky. But at least your right action mitigated the damage. Give yourself credit for it.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:01 PM   #33
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,587
Lucky? It's all relative. Compared to dying, you were lucky. I hit a deer at 65 and crashed. I was lucky. Rode the bike home with only minor road rash on one elbow due to a poor fitting jacket. Of course wearing all my gear contributed to my luck.

Come to think of it, if I had been truly lucky I would not have hit the deer in the first place.

klaviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:15 PM   #34
KX50002
NooB, my ass

Oddometer: 1,625
You WERE lucky, it COULD have been worse... you could have been stuck driving a cage!!!
Old 09-18-2013, 07:47 PM   #35
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by KX50002 View Post
You WERE lucky, it COULD have been worse... you could have been stuck driving a cage and had the deer come through the windshield and break your neck.!!!
There's a reply for you.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:02 PM   #36
KX50002
NooB, my ass

Oddometer: 1,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
There's a reply for you.
Thanks for completing my sentence!
Old 09-19-2013, 05:21 AM   #37
DR Donk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical C View Post
It sounds like code for... "you got away with it this time, next time you won't be lucky, you better give up the bike".

When I had my encounter with a deer, everyone, except my wife, assumed I would stop riding. My wife knew better
DR Donk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:53 AM   #38
waveydavey
happy times!!

Oddometer: 9,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Donk View Post
When I had my encounter with a deer, everyone, except my wife, assumed I would stop riding. My wife knew better
While I was doing my 6 months of physio, whenever they asked me what my goals were, motorcycle riding came first. I was riding about 6 weeks after I was allowed to be weightbearing and when I did my follow up joint replacement I was riding 3 weeks after they replaced my hip joint.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:24 AM   #39
SocalRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeClone View Post
if i even see a deer much less hit one, i'm leaving los angeles
I travel the 2 and 210 freeways between work and home. Sometimes after midnight. I have narrowly missed a deer in a car, arrived right after a deer/car accident, and had to brake hard for a small herd of deer on a transition ramp. This week there are two different large brownish stains in the middle lanes of those freeways, which I take to be fresh deer strikes.

I have also spotted deer by the pavement twice on Angeles Crest Highway.

Don't fool yourself, there are deer on freeways around LA. If I am on a freeway after 2 am on my bike I keep it slow and alert.

'07 White (the coolest color) GSA rider
'13 Husky Strada & '14 KTM 690 Enduro
SocalRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 06:18 PM   #40
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Oddometer: 4,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalRob View Post

I have narrowly missed a deer in a car,

You talking about these guys?

TrashCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:55 PM   #41
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,487
One of my pet peeves are the non-riders that you meet who cannot help themselves and tell you every story about their cousin, brother, sister, best friend's cousin's roomate from college etc. that had a bad accident.

Glad you are okay! Heal up quick.
Old 09-25-2013, 02:17 PM   #42
Red9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideSM View Post
One of my pet peeves are the non-riders that you meet who cannot help themselves and tell you every story about their cousin, brother, sister, best friend's cousin's roomate from college etc. that had a bad accident.

Glad you are okay! Heal up quick.

+1

A couple of years ago I finished a round of golf and was sitting on the patio having lunch. One of my friends, friends (who I had just met during the round), mentioned to his wife (who I'd never met) that I rode a bike.

Right away she tells me she's a nurse and I'm an idiot cause she's seen blah blah blah...

I let it go but she kept it up, finally telling me I was destined to become an organ donor and how stupid and insensitive I was being to my children (grown) for having such a dangerous hobby...

Having enough, I said something along the line of "Last year in this country, would you agree maybe a couple hundred people died riding a motorcycle?"

She said, "yes."

I said, "This morning in the local paper they report that over (I forget the exact number but it was in the thousands) died in this country by medical incompetence. So realistically, I have a greater chance of dying in your care."

Well suffice to say I've never golfed with her husband again...

But my friend did shoot beer out his nose!

Red9 screwed with this post 09-25-2013 at 02:24 PM
Red9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:24 PM   #43
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red9 View Post
+1

A couple of years ago I finished a round of golf and was sitting on the patio having lunch. One of my friends, friends (who I had just met during the round), mentioned to his wife (who I'd never met) that I rode a bike.

Right away she tells me she's a nurse and I'm an idiot cause she's seen blah blah blah... Said I was destined to become an organ donor and how stupid and insensitive I was being to my children (grown) for having such a dangerous hobby...

I said something along the line of "Last year in this country, would you agree maybe a couple hundred people died riding a motorcycle?"

She said, "yes."

I said, "This morning in the local paper they report that over (I forget the exact number but it was in the thousands) died in this country by medical incompetence. So realistically, I have a greater chance of dying in your care."

Well suffice to say I've never golfed with her husband again...

But my friend did shoot beer out his nose!
Perfect. I have been told that I am "selfish" for riding motorcycles. I am no longer married and don't have kids, but even if I were and did, I find that comment to be silly. Gotta go, I need to be selfish right now!
Old 09-25-2013, 05:36 PM   #44
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,889
Never mind motorcycles.

Death by Doctor (already mentioned)

Death by [McDonalds, Krispy Kreme, etc select all that apply]
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 05:24 AM   #45
Rick G
Ranger Rick

Oddometer: 1,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerider View Post
So last month a deer decided to attempt suicide by running out of the forest and into my bike. Result? 4 broken ribs, fractured collar bone (fixed surgically) and fractured scapula, plus a spendy helicopter ride to the ER. Also, $4400 worth of damage to my new bike (511 miles on the clock). I was ATGATT like I always am - head to toe. What has really started to annoy me is everyone telling me, (mostly people who have never ridden) how "lucky I am, and it could have been much worse"
WTF? As if all the painful injury, and surgery wasn't bad enough. Plus the damage to my new bike. Also, choosing to wear expensive protective gear no matter what the conditions, has nothing to do with being lucky - that is just smart. It wasn't luck that I was wearing my helmet either - that was by choice. Actually, I think having one deer decide to run into me in 85k arces of state forest, quite unlucky.
Them after you are told you were lucky, you get told a story about how they knew someone's cousins friend, uncle, brother, who was tragically killed in some motorcycle accident, and of course they were doing nothing wrong.

People may mean well, but its almost condescending, and totally dismissive.
Here's a tip, if you've never ridden a bike, then it's probably not best to tell a motorcyclist who is injured, and trying to recover that he was lucky, because honestly you have no idea what you're talking about.

Anyone else have the same experience? It's driving me nuts!!
Sounds like I could have written this post as I had the same experience after my deer incident. Being told how "Lucky" I was that my injuries weren't worse or that I could have been killed. Like you I had broken bones and my very first helicopter ride.

My reply (if I was in the mood to have fun) was "If I was "lucky" I would have been a couple of seconds faster or a couple of seconds slower and missed the damn deer! But usually I knew that they meant well and just said "Thanks".

Rick G
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote