User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2013, 10:55 AM   #1
amcross OP
Career Rookie/Novice

Oddometer: 203
Quarry Cup, M.A.T.T., Sat 9/14/13 - Novice rides

had a BLASTTT saturday morning riding the novice lines at the 40th annual Quarry Cup - believed to be the longest running consecutive contest in the US! WHAT FUN!

mother nature decided to play nice (for SAT!) with cool temps, clear skies, low humidity and just all around a fantastic day.
amcross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 01:13 PM   #2
Choicecut
Lean, Tender and Juicy.

Oddometer: 289
Sweet video Ann! Looks like you were in the zone that day!

I gotta get me one of those helmet cams, really cool to review the sections afterwards.

Are you and Mike going to be at the Trials Inc. event in Indiana next weekend? I would love to absorb some more of Mike's awesome riding abilities!
1979 Suzuki DS 100;
2002 Honda XR50 (Pinky Pie);
Choicecut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:58 PM   #3
amcross OP
Career Rookie/Novice

Laugh

hey choice!! yep, see you next weekend! happy to spend some time together and hope you can find time to come out here to visit us in IL some time soon?

The Quarry Cup, Saturday, 2013
What an exceptional site, the MATT club's own Quarry in Trenton, MO. An ideal home for the longest-consecutive-running trials competition in the country -- 40 years and counting! The 40+ acre quarry is fantastically cared for, with numerous gravel roads stretching every direction. The rocks varied from the finest gravel to massive walls - with aged woods sprouting throughout the property, creek beds and well cared for wide paths heading everywhere.
After a week of unbearable heat, Saturday morning dawned at less than 70 degrees, brilliant blue skies, a gentle breeze, and the unforgettable murmur of trials bikes. MATT's events are ridden in halves - the 'AM' riders being novice, amateur (and senior amateur); the 'PM' riders tackled the upper classes of intermediate, expert, (senior expert), and the best and brightest -- the masters. The less experienced riders were given sections that best suited their skills without the trials master having to figure out how to challenge all levels in a single space; likewise, we were encouraged by a shorter, simpler loop that easily fitted the average novice rider's abilities on a dry beautiful day such as this. The trials master, likewise, provided his upper level riders more challenge and complexity in their loop en route to their more difficult sections for the afternoon classes.
So at 10AM, I excitedly swung my leg over my chirpy partner, the GG80 big wheel affectionately known as Gizmo. We headed down the wide gravel road, past our camper, to section one. This shallow bank of rock remnants was about 75' long. The Amateurs - the class above mine - had to work their way on and off the bank several times, while we novices executed a simple 90 degree corner to enter into the section so we could ride along, parallel to the bank, weaving around a variety of small chunks of rock. We had to work our way between two larger slabs which would strike one - or both - of my foot pegs depending upon the quality of the entry line I chose. Once through that tight spot, the novices had to unload the front end over a rock roughly shaped like the blade of a shovel, pointing up, and squeak out of the gate. The darned peg-eaters sucked my right foot onto its solid surface for a 1 on loop one, but I managed to avoid the monsters on loops 2 and 3, coming out clean!
Another 25 yards up the gravel, and it's time for the novices to get their first thoughts about going UP. We were given the entire width of the gravel road for run-up, before scaling the reasonably steep and rocky bank, and novice had several choices. I elected to continue the straightest route to the top of the bank, up a 6" rock step that reminded us that this hill was made of shale, bank a sweeping 180 to the left around rocks and trees galore, and I'm set up to work back down the entry bank of this 'keyhole' section. (A keyhole section in MATT terms allows the rider to cross his/her own line as the entry and exits were the same line.) My first ride, I hit the shale shelf at the tallest possible point, bounding Gizmo to the outside and near the tape where I came to a stop for the first time of the day. I jockeyed the little workhorse about, settled in place, and weaved my way down the bank on a 3. On loop 2, I rode the much better line Mike recommended and made it successfully to the top of the bank - -but my tall stance that I try every single ride to improve caused me to go offline and bump into a large rock, stopped again. This time, it was a single foot down, that turned into just TWO but with a herculean effort not THREE points before I worked my way off the bank again. Last loop, blabbering at Gizmo all the way, I managed to settle the little super bike up the rock climb and the rock step, around the big sweeping turn, and, beaming, rode her back down the bank with proper brake control and a graceful stop on a CLEAN.
Back to the loop! Over the (dry-for-today) river and through the woods, to section 3 we go! The loop up to section 3 was a bouncing 50 yards up a rocky dry creek bed, step out onto the bank, and sit in line waiting for the new challenge. The novice line began with a mildly technical sweeping right hand fall off -- riding up onto the shallow bank, pull nearly 180 degrees around a tree without hanging up, and roll down the bank to the flat below again. Sweep another nearly 180 - on a gracefully flat and treeless leafy segment, and it was time to climb up a mostly-dirt-but-rock-plate-jutted bank, a sharp 90 to come perpendicular to the dry creek, and time for another decision. Blast across the creek and climb the far bank along an off camber line, or drop into the creek, bound over some roots and rolly polly rocks, then step back out of the bank at a much shallower point, manage a bit of a wide S turn, and up and out of the section. Gizmo and I together agreed upon the line more likely to draw one dab than a 5 and turned up the creek ,over the rough set of roots, up the short bank, and out of the section. on my first loop, that step out of the creek sucked my foot from the peg to the rough soil; my 2nd and 3rd loops were wondrously CLEAN!
The loop opened onto an easy gravel road, and offered a nice spot to stretch my legs and shake off my nerves before heading on to section 4. The novice line began with settling the bike properly so that she was square to the entry line (and perpendicular to the road), dropping down a shallow bank, across a very little dip into a dry creek and out, sweep a 180, pop up a short bank and then the scary part - up a rocky step to an unnervingly small shelf before I had a very good chance of blasting across the tape and back onto the road.... or, if I'd managed to stay inside the tape, then pull a hard right, bobble across a few more rocks and find the exit. On my first loop I braaaaped up over the rocky bed and managed NOT to fall out of the section, then firmly planted one foot in hopes of taking just a 1 but didn't succeed as my second dab was attached clearly to my 'tree dab' which involved slamming my left hand into a tree just as my axle exited the section. the second loop I pulled off the step and took just one dab shortly before exiting the section. My third loop earned a howling cheer by my minder and my checker (thanks Kelly!), matched with my own on a clean!
A bit of weaving through the woods and once more across that dry creek, and we'd found section 5. Ah, rocks - a dry creek bed full of softball-to-volleyball sized chunks and clunks of rocks. Novice began by dropping into the creek, then stepping up over a thick root, up a rocky step, and then a challenging stumble up these chunks. scolding myself constantly to get my knees off the tank and 'loosen up', I managed to work my way through the section CLEAN, clean and...tada! a happy dance indeed as it was CLEAN.
section 6 was attached almost perfectly to the end of section 5. We were immediately in line to head into the climb that was section 6. I began on an easy climb until the nice-width path immediately tightened and wove through a cluster of 4 trees, a tiny bit of off camber just for fun, took a steeper blip up a short step, eased through a 90 left wonderfully bereft of the dab-sucking rocks, and it was time for an aggressive BRAAAP and out! My wonderfully eager little 80 and I were up and out of the section, with a happy series of 3 cleans!
We wandered through the woods and up a nice dry climb and we were at the gate to the only section with a line all day, section 7. The novices had a rear-brake-dragging slide down a 20 yard hill that had 2 or 3 flat rock plates in it; slow the bike at the bottom for a wide easy sweeping left 180, and time to weave back up an easier line on the bank - around a tree over some shallow roots, and as Gismo and I exited the section, the checker commented that she sounds like a control-line aircraft! My Alvin-and-the-Chipmunks voiced little bike and I were quite proud of finishing another clean, clean, clean again.
We reached section 8 -- a unique section that, although on a very short bank, still offered a good challenge as much of it was off camber. The novice line was a fairly small step up and then a right sweeper that looked oh so easy when walking -- but actually was still on the off camber. We swept back into an easy down line about 1/2 way down the short bank, then a hard 90 to the left, across the roots of a large tree, and then time to make another drop off turn right and down. My first ride was wobbly but clean; my second ride appeared to be clean and I'd stopped paying proper attention to the bike once I was through the drop off -- and didn't pay enough attention so that when the front wheel had hit a small rock, I took a massive dab while refusing to let the bike complete its attempted high side and touch her handlebar to the ground, but I heaved her back upright and exited the section with a 1. My last ride, I had again misjudged the start of the off camber, arriving on it with inadequate momentum, and took a significant dab to pull her through the turn, exiting the section again with a 1.
and now, we've made it to the last stop of the event - section 9. The novice line began with a significant and novice-steep drop between two trees ending in a tight 90 degree left and suddenly we were facing a 10" thick log felled at a roughly 30 degree angle, at least to my version of the line. As luck would have it, this is my second contest in a row where I have been oh so very thankful that not only have I been learning to do logs at up to 45 degrees from my course, but doing so on short run-ups. After the log was a sweeping left turn bringing Gismo and I back square to the bank we'd come down just a bit ago which needed a confident but not aggressive "UPPP" and we were out of the section again. And, with a very loud WOOHOO I finished my 3rd clean ride of this challenging line. YES! A great day and I landed 3rd place.
It was a great test of my stamina and my riding confidence when I was able to be Mike's minder and go BACK out onto the loop Saturday afternoon. Mike's Intermediate (equivalent of TI's sportsman) class - and the other PM riders - rode a longer and more challenging loop with 8 sections of their own, and I was proud of getting my squeaky-voiced little trials trooper and I around for all 3 loops - riding a total of 6 loops and 27 sections today.
Saturday evening the club hosts dinner for all who are in attendance - rider, spectator, checker, family member, stranger or lifelong friend - all are welcome and welcomed equally. The catered spread was fantastic -- if you went away hungry, it was certainly no fault of the vendor! Even a special diet difficult patron like me left the meal stuffed with great food and loving the many wonderful stories shared by all throughout the evening time. Mike took some fun photos of the incredible size of the crowd sharing such a great evening for several hours. We had driven most of the night to get to the contest, and were so exhausted I think we were asleep before 830!

Sunday - we awoke to the sound of a soft, steady drizzle. Uhhhhohhh. The club members had been joking at the AMaZZZING contest dinner Saturday night that the event has had rain 37 of 39 years, and looks like this will be no different. Unfortunately, they've had drought conditions, so a bit of rain wouldn't simply be soaked up by the soil or run off. Instead, it made gummy, soupy, sticky muck everywhere. Whether a blessing or a curse, I broke my poor little Gizmo when she fell over while waiting in line to enter my 5th section of the day, and was mercifully close to the pits. Mike nursed Gismo to the truck for me, determined he couldn't fix her, and Giz and I didn't complain too terribly about settling into the pits, get warm and dry, and call it a day. According to Mike, the mud got worse, but the riders and checkers all gave it their all.
What a fantastic group of motorcyclists, what great facility, what awesome social time. It was a fun change to be transported temporarily from Sherco country where RYP is a world-level importer to being deep in GasGas country with its passionate importer who was similarly helpful and supportive to riders of all brands. Lil Gizmo and big Jax were not the odd bikes out today - the lone Sherco and Ossa were!
We will absolutely be putting the Quarry Cup on our calendars for future years!

Old 09-16-2013, 08:04 AM   #4
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,287
AmCross,

Sorry I didn't run into you and meet you first hand. I Missed an opportunity, dang it. But, I did take the morning to help out another gal Jenean W on Saturday... (Im probably spelling that wrong, but She drove up from near St Louis along with her husband) She is hunting for trials riding buddys anywhere around her, I forget where you are, probably way up north? IMHO she is really working at this, and seems to be getting along VERY well for I think her 2nd event, and no local help with trials techniques. I think she had a good time, all smiles even though tired, I had to really push her to get done in time, which meant she didn't get do anything but ride the 2nd & 3rd loops... LOL. I did explain that our "regionals" sometimes have tougher sections than normal club events, but again I thought they were pretty good.

PS she's on thumpertalk.com, there is a trials area in the forums, she's on as hondagirl230, you guys might have met at this event, I am not sure? I was pretty busy, minding dad too a little bit... Maybe you guys can meet up for practices or anything if you happen to be closer than we are. I sent her a link to this post on this forum, maybe she'll sign up and chime in.

Did you stay for Sunday? It started raining at 830, never quit until 3rd section for my afternoon loop (about 1pm) which I actually dread it when it stops raining, the mud goes from wet wet like pudding, to Cake Frosting in a hurry.
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 04:41 PM   #5
HondaGirl230
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Cry

Hey there, it's me! I did get to meet AM Cross and her hubby, fortunately. I would have liked to talked to you guys more though!

Hearing about the rain on Sunday makes me glad we headed home Saturday. Sorry it rained on you all, it's always such a mess getting vehicles, bikes, clothes and camping equipment cleaned up after that.

I love the video AMCross! My husband didn't get to see all of the sections, so now I can show him what I'm talking about. Congratulations on your 3rd place, you were looking great!
HondaGirl230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:07 PM   #6
amcross OP
Career Rookie/Novice

Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGirl230 View Post
Hey there, it's me! I did get to meet AM Cross and her hubby, fortunately. I would have liked to talked to you guys more though!

Hearing about the rain on Sunday makes me glad we headed home Saturday. Sorry it rained on you all, it's always such a mess getting vehicles, bikes, clothes and camping equipment cleaned up after that.

I love the video AMCross! My husband didn't get to see all of the sections, so now I can show him what I'm talking about. Congratulations on your 3rd place, you were looking great!
Jeanine,
It was GREAT to meet you! you're the gal who hurried in just before the time penalties started, right?? If so, CONGRATS! You did great and so very glad to see that you finished. You said oyu had an event you'd organized Sunday morning - glad you were able to attend that.

(Sunday was unridable for me, even if i'd not damaged my bike. the mud got real nasty real quick.)

We are about 3 hours from St Louis. We owuld LOOOVE you and your husband to come up to visit and ride. We can ride at our own practice area on our farm or we can go to the ATV park where there's more stuff for your hubbys' bike to play as well as trials space.

Also, we compete the TI series. our next event is tihs weekend in Columbus Indiana, known as stoney Lonesome. This is a relatively tough loop if i remember last year well ... but an amazing place, a MASSIVE turn out, usually at least one female rider who is in the upper classes, and just a superb trip. It'd be about 5 hours for you, don't know if you can come that far...it is about 3 hours for us.

http://www.trialsinc.org/?trigger=sch2&ID=31

Anyway - drop me an email (i dont get on here all that often) at amc (at) cwer (dot) org (remove spaces and fix characters- trying to minimize spam)

and let's chat and visit and hopefully you can come up and ride!!!!!!
Old 09-16-2013, 08:17 PM   #7
amcross OP
Career Rookie/Novice

hondagirl - here's some pics from last years Stoney Lonesome!

http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/...sept-15th16th/
Old 09-20-2013, 08:10 AM   #8
neilking
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
Hi Ann. I saw you but did not know it was you.
13 Factory Beta 250
neilking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:34 PM   #9
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,287
hondagirl,

you should go get this bike, or have it shipped.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=921201

then let dad use your old bike,
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:04 PM   #10
jonnyc21
Trials ninja

Oddometer: 867
Thumb Way to go!

Great run and nice video AnnMarie.

Glad you had such a good time.
jonnyc21 is offline   Reply With Quote