User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2013, 11:02 AM   #1
biggziff OP
Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer: 8,068
Watched a friend and his son get knocked off today

Left church and down to a little country "T" intersection. Guy in front of me stops at the stop sign, my buddy and his son are starting the left turn from the "T" part of the intersection to head to church for second service and as they're about at the 45 degree point the guy in front of me starts moving forward and left...I'm in the car yelling "don't do it....stop, stop stop" but he continues out and makes contact with the end of the front cowling then my buddy's leg/ankle and proceeds to push the bike over tossing both of them off...car's speed was maybe 3-4 MPH. Bike was maybe 5-8 mph.... result...broken left ankle for my buddy, cuts and such on his leg, his son has a few bruises, left bag departed the bike (Connie 1400) and ended up 30' from the intersection...how I have no idea....and rash on the bike.

The gear he wears is a hi-viz jacket, helmet, gloves, dress pants and sneakers. Would a set of good boots have kept his ankle from breaking? Dunno..... weird thing to watch.

Driver said he never saw them. Very difficult to comprehend how you can miss a bike right in front of you...4' away with a guy wearing hi-viz, but he sure didn't hit them on purpose.

Be vigilant and keep repeating to yourself...."I am invisible.....I am invisible"

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
biggziff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 12:48 PM   #2
MADurstewitz
MADMark

Oddometer: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggziff View Post
Left church and down to a little country "T" intersection. Guy in front of me stops at the stop sign, my buddy and his son are starting the left turn from the "T" part of the intersection to head to church for second service and as they're about at the 45 degree point the guy in front of me starts moving forward and left...I'm in the car yelling "don't do it....stop, stop stop" but he continues out and makes contact with the end of the front cowling then my buddy's leg/ankle and proceeds to push the bike over tossing both of them off...car's speed was maybe 3-4 MPH. Bike was maybe 5-8 mph.... result...broken left ankle for my buddy, cuts and such on his leg, his son has a few bruises, left bag departed the bike (Connie 1400) and ended up 30' from the intersection...how I have no idea....and rash on the bike.

The gear he wears is a hi-viz jacket, helmet, gloves, dress pants and sneakers. Would a set of good boots have kept his ankle from breaking? Dunno..... weird thing to watch.

Driver said he never saw them. Very difficult to comprehend how you can miss a bike right in front of you...4' away with a guy wearing hi-viz, but he sure didn't hit them on purpose.

Be vigilant and keep repeating to yourself...."I am invisible.....I am invisible"
Glad this wasn't worse. Ankle. Best protection: motocross boots. I never ride without mine.
Old 09-15-2013, 03:39 PM   #3
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,855
Quote:

I know first hand Hi Vis can create a false sense of security. Some folks drive right into fire trucks, even trains. There is a difference between did not see them and did not even f*&%ing look. I am invisible, I am invisible.

Rod
ragtoplvr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 04:13 PM   #4
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Driver wasn't looking for a motorcycle. Seriously. Back in the day, I saw my Mom (long deceased now) do something very similar with a bicyclist (the guy managed to swerve away and not get hit). She specifically explained that she wasn't looking for a bicycle.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 04:23 PM   #5
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 7,079
Quote:

Install a loud horn, and get familiar with using it. Swerving skills should be kept up to date too.
Some are guard dogs of the flock. Some herders, search/rescue, or companions. We Devildogs are those, and also retrievers. Hell is our blazing dogpark, our frigid swimming hole. The fallen are our tennis balls. We don't leave the fallen behind, even if the master has to bring them home for us. Semper Fi, my friends.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:25 PM   #6
biggziff OP
Funk Soul Bruvah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
Install a loud horn, and get familiar with using it. Swerving skills should be kept up to date too.
Not bad ideas, but in this case there wasn't time to sound a horn or any room to swerve unless he wanted to ride into a 3' deep ditch.

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
Old 09-15-2013, 08:32 PM   #7
FirstPath
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,253
I've had close calls like this as a driver. What I find is the wide "A" pillars of the car will even hide a car if at just the right angle. Really need to look and wait just a beat to make sure it is clear. The driver probably looked to the right but never saw the bike sitting there.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:56 PM   #8
motomuppet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
Scary stuff...glad it was not worse.

I wonder about the MX boots comment. I use MX boots off road where speeds are relatively low, but not on road because they are so heavy. I wonder if in a high speed prang the weight of the boots would potentially make things worse for knees/hips with the inertia of the boots?

I am sure someone far cleverer than I am could work out the physics of the added stress to the knee wearing Tech 10s while cartwheeling at 130kmph as opposed to a pair of flip flops?
motomuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:57 AM   #9
Hair
Outside the boxer

Oddometer: 13,715
That's quite the head line for a low speed crash.
Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:04 AM   #10
biggziff OP
Funk Soul Bruvah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hair View Post
That's quite the head line for a low speed crash.
heh...unintentional

Update:

Driver of the bike will have some screws installed tomorrow and then sit on a couch for a few weeks/months. His son is bruised, but otherwise as good as he was before the crash. The bike has yet to be inspected by an adjuster, but I think it's all cosmetic damage.

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
Old 09-17-2013, 09:21 AM   #11
Hair
Outside the boxer

Oddometer: 13,715
I hope that they mend quickly.
Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 04:23 PM   #12
konta
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
Agree 100%. I use dual trumpet air horns with a compressor. Sounds like a truck! Believe me, people take notice.
konta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:20 PM   #13
daveinva
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 552
Quote:
Not bad ideas, but in this case there wasn't time to sound a horn or any room to swerve unless he wanted to ride into a 3' deep ditch.
Your horn worked, right?
daveinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:59 PM   #14
Maverik70
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Blindspots...

As vigilant as we all try to be, I hate to admit that I can see that happening. It may sound crazy, but I can't count the number of times I've nearly pulled out from an intersection in my '03 Surburban, and not seen FULLSIZE vehicles through the windshield! In my case the rearview mirror blocks out an entire vehicle from view. But I know this is a problem, and have gotten into the habit of slouching to look around the mirror to check for traffic. I just wish other drivers took their responsibility behind the wheel more seriously! Situational Awareness - Learn it, Live it... I'm glad your friend is gonna be ok. Too bad, as it could've been avoided. Its gotta be hard to sit there and watch helplessly. Here's to a swift recovery....
Maverik70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 06:17 PM   #15
Mgbgt89
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik70 View Post
As vigilant as we all try to be, I hate to admit that I can see that happening. It may sound crazy, but I can't count the number of times I've nearly pulled out from an intersection in my '03 Surburban, and not seen FULLSIZE vehicles through the windshield! In my case the rearview mirror blocks out an entire vehicle from view. But I know this is a problem, and have gotten into the habit of slouching to look around the mirror to check for traffic. I just wish other drivers took their responsibility behind the wheel more seriously! Situational Awareness - Learn it, Live it... I'm glad your friend is gonna be ok. Too bad, as it could've been avoided. Its gotta be hard to sit there and watch helplessly. Here's to a swift recovery....
My sisters cobalt has massive a pillars due to the airbags in them. They will easily hide a full size truck at the right angle. Not to mention the rear side blind spot is massive. I hate that car.
Mgbgt89 is online now   Reply With Quote